Tales Of Vesperia Definitive Edition

MisterIceTeaPeach

For which console will you get Vesperia?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which version will you buy?

• PC (Steam)
    • PS4
    • Switch
    • XBOXone
  2. 2. Have you played the original version?

• Yes, XBOX360
    • Yes, PS3
    • No

The remake of the PS3 version will come out for PS4, Switch and PC today. 

It is finally the chance to enjoy its full content in your mother language.

I am super excited for this game, definitely my most anticipated game of 2019, because I really loved the game.

Even without completly understanding the story for playing it in JP I still loved the gameplay and the characters. 

Since I do not own my PS3 copy anymore and did not complete the post, it is finally my chance to do it.

Also I am excited for the english voice of the "new" character.

The price of the game will be about 50 € / $ for the Switch and a bit less for the other consoles.

There are a few more changes confirmed, but I will go into details once I have this game later today.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never played the original but I pre ordered this one.

I heard that it's considered one of the best Tales Of games in the series (along with Berseria) and I really want to play a fun JRPG so I can't wait to give this one a shot.

The game should arrive today so I'm quite excited :)

5 hours ago, Hekselka said:

Never played the original but I pre ordered this one.

I heard that it's considered one of the best Tales Of games in the series (along with Berseria) and I really want to play a fun JRPG so I can't wait to give this one a shot.

The game should arrive today so I'm quite excited :)

It's the best Tales game, IMO. Better than Symphonia or Berseria.

(Though I would rate Abyss on par with or better if it weren't for Abyss's frankly absurd loading times in excess of a minute after pretty much every battle). 

Edited by Etheus

Vesperia is rated as the best Tales game on the cover. However I do not know on which value it is based.

Since I have not entirely understood the story for playing in Japanese, but I cannot really rate it.

In terms of gameplay it is a great game, no doubt. Though I would say it is one of the bit more complicated ones regarding battle system. I remember when I never found out how to use mystic artes. Abyss would be an easier entry since it features the most simple battle system in the entire series.

After playing it for about one hour I can already say it looks smoother more aesthetic now. The JP voices are still the same. I have read that Yuri shall have a different English voice actor now. I cannot prove it yet for using JP audio.

However I am a bit surprised that this version does not seem to add that many details. For the example I excepted to see added bubbles on people who can be talked to for simplifying story things a little bit as in the latest parts.

Edited by Necrofantasia

Loved this game. It's definitely one of my top 3. Next to Abyss and Xillia. Excited to pick it up today after work.

I just got the Switch, so thinking of picking it up for that just to build my Switch collection. Though it depends on what they have. I have a PS4 as well, so it doesn't really matter to me!

Im super excited. ive always loved Flynn and now i can finally play him for the entireity of the game (Most of it). picking it up in 3 hours. super stoked and cant wait to see what Patty adds to the stroy and what changes. never looked up the ps3 version other then gameplay. im getting for PS4 or Switch (whichever is available). Yuri is my Favorite Tales character in the series so im excited to play Vesperia again for basically the 6th time (with a twist plus more characters!)  

I'll be getting to this after I finish Cold Steel 3, 4, FF Type-0 and Tokyo Xanadu

So quite awhile from now lmao. But I have wanted to play it for quite some time.

I have just started the second island. 

The fun is as huge as like four ago, only with the difference to understand the actual story.

I know now why so many people like Yuri. His appearance personality is absolutely authentic. Some of his speeches make me smile. Same goes for Rita. It is great that I can identify with these characters more now.

But one little issue still remains. It features the hardest normal mode of all played Tales games so far for me. I have struggled against lots of bosses and even generic fights already. Actually solofights with Yuri are the worst. I am already prepared for the worst against the elite monsters. ;)

Yuri is one of the reason why Vesperia is so loved. Everything about him is good, his witty personality, his sarcasm, his experience with the world, the fact that he is not random JRPG protagonis number X is enough, but everything else ? Wow.
And just after, they decided it was a good idea to create Asbel, what's his name, Milla and Ludger. GG Team Tales.

I had the 360 version, when I learned that they did a enhanced version of Vesperia on the PS3... I could have done a contract with a salt company.

I. Want. This. Game. So. Baaaaaaaaad. , I'll buy it as soon as I can.

But I'm curious, if you don't mind me asking, is there some things that were added compared to the 360 and PS3 version ? Like Features, such as...

On 11/01/2019 at 3:27 PM, Necrofantasia said:

However I am a bit surprised that this version does not seem to add that many details. For the example I excepted to see added bubbles on people who can be talked to for simplifying story things a little bit as in the latest parts.

... This. Also, boy, if you want to 100% a tales of,, you'll realy want that kind of feature, otherwise, it's a nightmare. :p

I've been playing the game for give or take 20 hours and so far I've been having a lot of fun. Gameplay  is pretty simple. Not that the game doesn't give you a lot of stuff to play it, it introduces new gameplay  mechanics almost every area but you won't need them because (aside from one boss) it's been an easy ride so far.

Aside from Estelle the cast has been great. I have no complaints about any of the other party members that I've gotten so far. Rapede is a good dog, Rita and Karol really grew on me and YURI IS A FANTASTIC MAIN CHARACTER. I love this guy.

I love almost the entire cast. Yuri is the best protagonist. Flynn makes for a good foil. Estelle is generic, but likeable. Rapide is a good boy. Rita is simply the best. Judith is alright. Raven is a personal favorite.

The only exception is Karol. I hate Karol. Hands down the most annoying Tales playable character ever. 

Edited by Etheus

As much as Karol is annoying, what I do not deny, without him Rita and Yuri would not be as beloved as they are because their bashing give them lots of extra sympathy points.

Also there is literally only one character in the series I cannot stand:

Spoiler

Anise Tatlin

Edited by Necrofantasia

6 minutes ago, Necrofantasia said:

As much Karol is annoying, what I do not deny, without him Rita and Yuri would not be as beloved as they are because their bashing give them lots of extra sympathy points.

Also there is literally only one character in the series I cannot stand:

Reveal hidden contents

Anise Tatlin

I disagree. Yuri and Rita are fantastic in their own right, not just by contrast.

Spoiler

And yes. Anise is awful. Not as bad as Karol, but awful. 

But at least Tales of the Abyss has Jade Curtiss and Tear Grants to make up for her. 

Edited by Etheus

I mean they are great in general, but without their puns against Karol I would smile less than I do.

Honestly none of the latest Tales game had an average or poor cast. As I said I only really dislike one character. Karol is a bit annoying because clumsy and childish, but not totally unlikeable. What I said about Yuri and Rita applies to him as well. If he did not exist, I would be less amused. That means no "Rita-slaps"...

Edited by Necrofantasia

16 minutes ago, Necrofantasia said:

I mean they are great in general, but without their puns against Karol I would smile less than I do.

Honestly none of the latest Tales game had an average or poor cast. As I said I only really dislike one character. Karol is a bit annoying because clumsy and childish, but not totally unlikeable. What I said about Yuri and Rita applies to him as well. If he did not exist, I would be less amused. That means no "Rita-slaps"...

Depends on what you define as latest.

I really didn't like the cast of Zestiria. I've never been less attached to a Tales cast than with that one, with Rose being the only one that actually stood out positively to me. 

Edited by Etheus

21 minutes ago, Necrofantasia said:

Honestly none of the latest Tales game had an average or poor cast.

If Graces counts by "latest", I consider it kinda bad. Asbel is typical, Sophie is lolicon pandering with a dose of amnesiac mystery girl powers, Cheria is not needed, Pascal has brains but is a bit too quirky for some, Malik's only purpose is to be the adult of the group, and Hubert alone is anything of a real good character to me. Richard worked, but he has that one issue. Never finished the game and saw how the F arc utilizes them, but it for the bulk of the main game (I was probably like 80%-90% through the main plot), the characters are underbaked.

These Karol comments sound interesting, since I tend to like shota characters. I found Genis to be good in ToS on a Tales note (although that was in my childhood). Although I'm not above criticizing them, Beat in Eternal Sonata was eh, and FE has its weaker members of the archetype I acknowledge, like Jubelo and Ricken. I'll have to determine whether I find Karol obnoxious myself.

And @Etheus, have to politely disagree with Tear. I know she is supposed to be rather lacking in displayed emotion, and I know she struggles, but she was a little too vocally and visibly monotone for me. Not helping was her God-General opposite being the worst of the lot. Jade was good (if repetitive in his humor towards the end), but the other savior of the cast was Guy. The two Lukes were an interesting experiment as well. And Natalia was a decent if typical princess (really bad first impression- but everyone in ToA is this way, except maybe Guy).

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

With latest I was mainly referring to the PS3 parts. But since Vesperia is already ten years old, it was a not perfect definition.

Anyways Zestiria's cast had heights and depths. Edna and Rose are great imo, Alisha was trashed, Sorey is an unspectacular solid leader, Lailah is the boring "mommy", Mikleo has funny conversations with Edna at leader.

Honestly I agree with Graces which had the "weakest" cast of the PS3 parts I played. Sophie is the actual main character, Malik and Cheria have no real existence in terms of plot, Pascal is refreshing honestly, Hubert is great despite I disliked using him.

Karol doesn't really bother me, he's just a kid that acts scared sometimes and I'm sure that by the end of the game he will have a lot more confidence (that's how characters like him in JRPG's tend to turn out). It also helps that the gang isn't really bothered by his antics which I find really endearing.

I wonder how the costume DLC will interact with the "They Call Me..." trophy... Particularly knowing at least two of the titles in the game require items rather late in the game, and yet another requires completing all the secret missions in one playthrough.

I've gotten a bit further and I still feel very much the same way about the game but there's something I had to say to the other people playing the game.

Be sure to save every time you have a chance and save a lot!

Apparently this game has been known to crash (software was closed because an error occurred). I myself have had the game crash three times since I've been playing it. I know that it has nothing to do with my switch because this is the first game where I have had this issue and other people have had the same problem.

Edited by Hekselka

@Hekselka

Oh, then I am not the only one who has this issue (also playing on Switch).

I have done the desert and this game has crashed twice yet, both in the same area (cave near Nordopolica).

I cannot remember having any crashes in the PS3 version.

Edited by Necrofantasia

I never really had a problem with Karol. I can get people who dislike the shota trope not liking him but he pretty competently pulls off his general archetype. Karol is amusing and endearing when he needs to be and nicely grows up as the story progresses. He's not the best member of the cast but certainly a decent addition to the team. Aside from his cowardice Karol is also pretty useful. 

Of the team its Rita I really don't care for. I have a problem with the rude tsundere trope in general and she's a textbook example. I also don't find her repeatedly hitting Karol or Raven to be very funny, it just reinforces the impression that Rita is kind of a jerk. 

But on the whole Vesperia has a very nice cast. They suffer slightly for not being very personally involved in the plot but the whole story follows a pattern of just being lots of tiny adventures that eventually lead to saving the world, rather than one giant adventure so the lack of personal involvement fits. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor