Tales Of Vesperia Definitive Edition

MisterIceTeaPeach

For which console will you get Vesperia?  

17 members have voted

1. 1. Which version will you buy?

• PC (Steam)
    • PS4
    • Switch
    • XBOXone
  2. 2. Have you played the original version?

• Yes, XBOX360
    • Yes, PS3
    • No

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I thought you had it by now. Anyway, if you're open to tips, I have some:

• Keep your old weapons. You will often need your old weapons to synthesize new ones. 
  • Always check out the shops.
  • Get all the weapons. Skills are mostly attached to weapons, and using the weapon enough will allow you to use the skill without the need for the weapon.
  • Speaking of, upgraded versions of weapons won't always have the same skills as the base weapon, so before you upgrade, make sure you learned skills that won't transfer.
  • Some weapons have multiple synths.
  • Later in the game, the area around Zaphias is best for farming LP, since the enemies are easy kills. If you can get an encounter link, all the better.
  • A guide is a must if you're a completionist (or if you're trying to get platinum) - various stuff, including one character's best non-fell arm weapon, requires doing sidequests.
  • Abuse Repede's Thievery. Some enemies have good steals. Like the Sorceresses in the area around Capua Nor and Capua Torim, for example (they hold Lemon Gels). This also ties in to my completionist point - two of Estelle's weapons must be stolen from bosses. (Technically, you only need one of the weapons in question, but since you need Repede to steal them, you might as well grab both)
  • If an enemy goes into Over Limit, RUN. Aside from not being staggerable, they can continuously attack, and their spells have no casting time.

So, uh, mostly basic Tales stuff, with an emphasis on stealing.  I'm not that much of a complentionist, so I think I can go without the guide.  Thanks, though!

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well as far as lp farming goes, the tactic to get 300+ per battle works best, if you don't mind some work for your arms because it gets pretty tiring after a while. Same with grade, sadly. And I agree with needing to use a guide, that was my mistake first playthrough, I missed half the stuff. Also, a question, do titles work like in Tales of Symphonia where they affect stat gains on level? Or are they just purely cosmetic things? If so, is there a guide for this?

Edited by lightcosmo

On 29.1.2019 at 6:08 AM, Shadow Mir said:

I dunno. One of the Happiness skills grants a chance to increase LP earned after battle, but it's expensive, and I dunno the rate of increase. On top of that, I don't even think the game notifies you if it worked. 

No mention of the Labyrinth of Memories? That requires you to visit an area that you have no reason to go back to, and the window of opportunity is rather narrow. Then you have to beat the game.

Funnily I do not know this place. 

Technically I have reached the final dungeon. Though I will do the PS3 exclusive dungeon first to collect all the fellarms. Hopefully I can use the dungeon to let my team learn as many skills as possible because the majority has about a half dozen non learned weapons each. Especially in person of Rita it is bad. 

I will do more sidequests in the English audio run which will follow once I have completed my current JP run. 

Edited by Necrofantasia

8 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

Technically I have reached the final dungeon. Though I will do the PS3 exclusive dungeon first to collect all the fellarms. Hopefully I can use the dungeon to let my team learn as many skills as possible because the majority has about a half dozen non learned weapons each. Especially in person of Rita it is bad. 

I will do more sidequests in the English audio run which will follow once I have completed my current JP run. 

I actually had the same thing, some characters were way behind skill wise, and it's not fun to get them back up to speed. like I stated before, using the lp trick is the quickest way to master abilities. It's fairly easy to do, as well.

On 1/29/2019 at 8:26 AM, lightcosmo said:

Well as far as lp farming goes, the tactic to get 300+ per battle works best, if you don't mind some work for your arms because it gets pretty tiring after a while. Same with grade, sadly. And I agree with needing to use a guide, that was my mistake first playthrough, I missed half the stuff. Also, a question, do titles work like in Tales of Symphonia where they affect stat gains on level? Or are they just purely cosmetic things? If so, is there a guide for this?

What's this tactic regarding LP? Also, titles in this game are pretty much cosmetic, unlike in Symphonia and Abyss (in the latter, they actually had effects - not that you'll know what these effects are without a guide).

On 1/29/2019 at 1:01 AM, eclipse said:

So, uh, mostly basic Tales stuff, with an emphasis on stealing.  I'm not that much of a complentionist, so I think I can go without the guide.  Thanks, though!

No problem. And yes, I suppose most of these are fundamental Tales stuff. Though I must emphasize skills being tied to weapons, since to my knowledge, no other Tales game does this. Also, some things I neglected to mention:

• Secret missions. They're side objectives you can undertake in boss fights. Clearing them gives you a hefty GRADE boost and an item at the end of battle. Some of them can be easily figured out, others not so much. At least one requires a missable item (Hint: Rest at an oasis town the first chance you get. Maybe twice, as you might get another event instead).
  • Cooking. Sure, it, too, is a fundamental, but unlike in other Tales games, some recipes require certain characters to cook them to unlock other recipes.
  • Over Limit. In this game, Over Limit has four levels. When you enter a higher level of Over Limit, you get the lower levels' effects as well. Level 1 is where you get the basic effects of Over Limit (no casting time for spells, can attack infinitely), as well as enabling burst artes (which are unlocked by story progression; I won't say what they are, other than their being a Vesperia-specific feature, because the game tells you what they are and how to do them when you can do them). Level 2 allows you to do more damage to downed enemies. Level 3 has artes cost no TP, and allows the use of mystic artes. Level 4 is god mode (aka, complete invincibility). Enemies only have one level of Over Limit, but they gain most of the effects the player would have for a level 4 Over Limit other than the invincibility. You'll get level 2 through story progression, but you need to synthesize to get level 3 and level 4.
  • This would be something that a completionist like myself (I'm intent on scoring platinum) would really need to note, but I'll say it anyway; keep a good supply on Magic Lenses on hand.
  • A lot of artes in this game change with continued use. (E.g. Rita's Fireball produces more fireballs the more you use it) There are also skills to alter artes into completely different artes.

And some warnings:

• Gang Up on the Human is apparently in full effect in this game, at least for normal fights. It's not so noticeable in boss fights since most boss fights are against only one enemy.
  • Gattuso (if you played Project X Zone, you might know what I'm talking about) is a serious pain in the ass, even on Normal mode.
  • If by any chance you happen to acquire all the fell arms, you might end up giving the final boss access to a third form. This is a MASSIVE difficulty spike (the final boss's second form is level 65. This secret third form? Level 82), and worse yet, this becomes mandatory if you want to beat the game.
  • You might run into Giganto Monsters in certain dungeons (a couple can be found on the world map in the third act). You'll know you found one when you hear this music. When you first run into one, your party leader will say something suggesting you might want to consider running.

Have fun!

22 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

Personally, I prefer the area around Zaphias for LP grinding since I can end the fights in no time flat. It's not like the stronger enemies offer much more in terms of LP anyway (the most I see normal enemies offer in terms of LP is 5, which really isn't that much better as to justify the extra work).

Edited by Shadow Mir

25 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

What's this tactic regarding LP? Also, titles in this game are pretty much cosmetic, unlike in Symphonia and Abyss (in the latter, they actually had effects - not that you'll know what these effects are without a guide). 

Well you would have to check I just know on the top left of the map, at nighttime, there is this frog enemy, he is purple-ish? You need Rita with minimum damage skill on, then you keep using violent pain while in overlimit level 1, and keep the fatal strike chain going. Get as many as you want, then end the battle with fs kills. Other things, it hardly appears, so getting a link encounter can be hard. But, you only need to get like 2-3 in a battle anyway. Also, set party members up not to attack, as they mess the chain up.

And thanks for letting me know, I wasn't really sure.

Edited by lightcosmo

15 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Personally, I prefer the area around Zaphias for LP grinding since I can end the fights in no time flat. It's not like the stronger enemies offer much more in terms of LP anyway (the most I see normal enemies offer in terms of LP is 5, which really isn't that much better as to justify the extra work).

Telescopia Graveyard turned into an experience goldmine. Since it is possinle to have up to five or more chain battles per floor, the party can easily learn their weapon skills in two floors. Estelle had like ten non learned weapons, but she mastered all of them.

Doing the final dungeon right. I believe collecting the final fellarms will be a higher burden than the final form of the final boss.

I've never really understood the appeal of the Tales Of series. Although it is regarded as one of the bigger JRPG series out there, I feel that most of the games embrace the tropes and cliches of anime way too much. The series as a result to me comes of as decent, but nothing special. Thus I wish to pose the question as to what makes the Tales Of games special to you?

Edited by Wraith

5 hours ago, Wraith said:

I've never really understood the appeal of the Tales Of series. Although it is regarded as one of the bigger JRPG series out there, I feel that most of the games embrace the tropes and cliches of anime way too much. The series as a result to me comes of as decent, but nothing special. Thus I wish to pose the question as to what makes the Tales Of games special to you?

I'm not sure why, but maybe I just appreciate the simplicity of them. I like the battle system, and things like the skits that delve into character details make me enjoy the characters more. Sure, they might seem cliche, but even so they are just touching. 

Beaten the game.

I noticed something regarding final boss:

Spoiler

Final Duke used Brave Vesperia as his first mystic arte in the very beginning, what never ever had happened to me before. I thought he would only use it, if his HP would be below a certain point / %. It makes the fight a bit easier since you have the certainty that none of his upcoming mystic artes can kill (=big bang). Still the hardest boss in the entrire series for me of the parts I have played yet.

Edited by Necrofantasia

On 1/31/2019 at 8:52 PM, lightcosmo said:

Well you would have to check I just know on the top left of the map, at nighttime, there is this frog enemy, he is purple-ish? You need Rita with minimum damage skill on, then you keep using violent pain while in overlimit level 1, and keep the fatal strike chain going. Get as many as you want, then end the battle with fs kills. Other things, it hardly appears, so getting a link encounter can be hard. But, you only need to get like 2-3 in a battle anyway. Also, set party members up not to attack, as they mess the chain up.

And thanks for letting me know, I wasn't really sure.

That would be Judasey, which is based on - you guessed it - Judas. It appears on the island north of Yumanju. 

On 2/1/2019 at 12:11 PM, Wraith said:

Honestly, I think while the games may be cliched, that doesn't make them bad per se. Anyways, the battle system is fun, and the skits bring out different sides of the characters. I also love the music. 

On 2/1/2019 at 11:57 AM, Necrofantasia said:

Telescopia Graveyard turned into an experience goldmine. Since it is possinle to have up to five or more chain battles per floor, the party can easily learn their weapon skills in two floors. Estelle had like ten non learned weapons, but she mastered all of them.

Doing the final dungeon right. I believe collecting the final fellarms will be a higher burden than the final form of the final boss.

Oh yeah, about the Labyrinth of Memories, which I mentioned earlier... if you want to take on the 200 MAN MELEE, you need to clear this one (by which I mean get 15 Fake Gald to challenge the Traitor to Heaven, the final boss of said dungeon). Anyway, where is the Telescopic Graveyard?

Also, is there any easy way to guard break Yeager? Because the only one I can think of involves Estelle... and that one ain't a slam dunk. There's also, of course, the issue where I'm using the healer to attack a boss, which is as ill-advised as any attempt to replicate Yo-kai behavior.

Edited by Shadow Mir

1 hour ago, Shadow Mir said:

Anyway, where is the Telescopic Graveyard?

Spoiler

I do not exactly know when you have access to this dungeon, but I think it is after you have collected all the four spirits.

To get to this dungeon (it is named differently in the Definitive version; I dunno the English name though) you have to visit Estelle's room in Zaphias's castle. You get the hint to go to Zaude. The location of the dungeon is the area where you fought Alexei.

Ah, I see.

I have not done the colloseum, so that explains it.

2 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:
  Hide contents

I do not exactly know when you have access to this dungeon, but I think it is after you have collected all the four spirits.

To get to this dungeon (it is named differently in the Definitive version; I dunno the English name though) you have to visit Estelle's room in Zaphias's castle. You get the hint to go to Zaude. The location of the dungeon is the area where you fought Alexei.

Ah, I see.

I have not done the colloseum, so that explains it.

I think the English name is Necropolis of Nostalgia. And I see.

I noticed that this game has a lot of errors regarding text. Like the subtitle saying one thing and the character saying something else entirely. It doesn't bother me, it's just kind of funny, I guess. 

I am doing Necropolis of Nostalgia, and honestly this dungeon offers nothing really special aside of some memorizing practice for the brain. 

I am halfway done yet. 

The battles become longer and more tedious. I noticed that these floors have to be done multiple times not to be underleveled against the bosses. And speaking of bosses: They have been all the same type with some laser circles, very uncreative. 

I think to quit the dungeon after beating the fifth boss which is a pain in the ass. 

8 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

I think to quit the dungeon after beating the fifth boss which is a pain in the ass. 

Is he even worse than Zurg (by which I mean Alexei)? Because I've been struggling with him, no doubt because he heals himself all the damn time. It's arguably even more concerning than his Mystic Arte (though of course, that doesn't help).

9 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Is he even worse than Zurg (by which I mean Alexei)? Because I've been struggling with him, no doubt because he heals himself all the damn time. It's arguably even more concerning than his Mystic Arte (though of course, that doesn't help).

I have to admit mentioned boss was level 160 (figured it out after watching it on Youtube) while team was level 76, so the outcome should not be surprising. That means it is not too bad if your team is leveled well enough.

Alexei was tough on normal. In this fight non spell casters were the key to success for me. Yuri, Repede, Patty and Raven did surprisingly well. Only Alexei's mystic arte spamming caused me a bit trouble. Seriously was not half as tough as the level 82 face of the final boss.

30 minutes ago, Necrofantasia said:

Alexei was tough on normal. In this fight non spell casters were the key to success for me. Yuri, Repede, Patty and Raven did surprisingly well. Only Alexei's mystic arte spamming caused me a bit trouble. Seriously was not half as tough as the level 82 face of the final boss.

I'm playing on hard, where he has over 750k HP. I have Revive, so his MA isn't the most of my worries - it's, as I mentioned earlier, the fact that he spams Guardian Frost to heal himself when he gets close to half health. 

Have finally beaten Hades in my like 50th try. 

Just needed to buy tons of items to beat that 80 levels higher boss than my team was. 

On 11.2.2019 at 6:30 AM, Shadow Mir said:

I'm playing on hard, where he has over 750k HP. I have Revive, so his MA isn't the most of my worries - it's, as I mentioned earlier, the fact that he spams Guardian Frost to heal himself when he gets close to half health. 

Ok, I never have played on hard aside of a few elite monsters, so I cannot tell or help. 

I find Vesperia one of the harder parts of this franchise. Already struggled in normal more than enough. 

Omegaevolution has taken Alexei out just recently, if you want to check it out. 

On 2/12/2019 at 5:32 AM, Etrurian emperor said:

Alexei was quite though. I recall his mystic art filling half the screen and dealing tons of damage. And he spammed it like crazy. 

Who did you use? I used Rita, Estelle, Yuri and Flynn.

7 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

Ok, I never have played on hard aside of a few elite monsters, so I cannot tell or help. 

I find Vesperia one of the harder parts of this franchise. Already struggled in normal more than enough. 

Omegaevolution has taken Alexei out just recently, if you want to check it out. 

Fair enough, I guess. 

I suppose that's pretty accurate, considering that compared to past Tales games, bosses have more HP.

I already dealt with him; took like 42 minutes and pretty much all my gels and life bottles. Shortcutted Azure Edge and Demon Fang to cut the Guardian Frost spam short, while flinging more fireballs than Dracula.

24 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Its been a solid decade since then so I'm not 100 sure. Gosh, saying that makes me feel old.

Yuri and Karol I'm fairly certain were there, I think Raven too and while I'm not entirely sure if we picked Estelle or Rita I think it was Estelle.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

5 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Fair enough, I guess. 

I suppose that's pretty accurate, considering that compared to past Tales games, bosses have more HP.

I already dealt with him; took like 42 minutes and pretty much all my gels and life bottles. Shortcutted Azure Edge and Demon Fang to cut the Guardian Frost spam short, while flinging more fireballs than Dracula.

Vesperia deals with the highest numbers of all parts I have played yet. The bosses have more HP, but the taken damage is also higher, so it is equaled out. 

BTW does playing on hard give more grades?

Unfortunately by rushing through the tower on easy means I miss the opportunity to increase my amount of grades.