Unintentional FE Connections in real life?

FE names that probably SHOULD NOT BE USED (because they're too common).

• Crimea (well-known country name)
  • Other places with names based on real life areas.
  • Hoshido, Nohr and Valla are definite name exceptions.
  • Characters with common baby names.
  • Cain and Abel. Basically any name from the Bible (except for abbreviations)
  • Any name based on mythical gods (I'm looking at you, Athena!)
  • Wolf. 'nuff said.
  • Jake, Beck, Samson, Lukas, Gray, Clair, Clive, Leo/Leon, Rudolf, Blake, Finn, etc.
  • Japanese names do not get spared either: Takumi, Sakura, Hana, Yukimura, Shiro and Midori, seem very common.

Exceptions:

• If there is more to the connection than just the name, but also matches the place/character's attributes (e.g. A restaurant coincidentally named after Effie would be spared because of her love of food, or a person named Felicia could count if she was a servant or had exceptional clumsiness, or there was a bow with "Takumi" carved onto it.)
  • If the names had a fitting pattern (e.g. if two classmates had the names "Alm" and "Celica", or two products with the names "Rowan" and "Lianna" were near each other).
  • If you look up the name in Google and the first bunch of results that appear are Fire-Emblem-related, then you're probably fine.
  • If you look at the name and can only think Fire Emblem, then it's possible it's not common.

Really though, these are just suggestions, because I don't want someone bringing up "I saw someone named Sophie today! XD" because that's just damn repetitive.

Also, in Animal Crossing, there's a bear villager named "Ike". He falls under the "grumpy/cranky" category, if that's of any use. Might be sorta common, but what else do you think of when you hear "Ike"?

On 1/13/2019 at 11:54 AM, Dragoncat said:

Ostia is also a swear word in Spanish. I think it means "oh shit".

I wish you would’ve specified that it was Spaniard Spanish and also slang because I was terribly confused about this.

4 hours ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

Might be sorta common, but what else do you think of when you hear "Ike"?

I think of the South Park character by the same name. I also think of the word tyke which in turn makes me think of young Guts because he’s a tyke and looks like Ike.

Also, as far as real life FE connections go, I had teacher who’s last name was Lowell which is Marth’s last name in the ova. It was pretty ironic since Lowell apparently means “small wolf” but my teacher was a frickin giant. Doesn’t seem like a particularly common name (at least that’s the only instance of me hearing it at any other place) and google doesn’t bring up any people with the name so I figured I could bring it up.

12 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

We like Ike is a cheer for Ike in SSB and a quote from Eisenhower’s campaign for President.

There is no way that wasn't intentional.

8 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

I wish you would’ve specified that it was Spaniard Spanish and also slang because I was terribly confused about this.

I had a feeling it was slang, but I didn't know Mexico and Spain used different Spanish.

I've visited a city/region called Niles quite often, and I learned via memes that Kellam is the name of a beer company.

Out of question, would characters from different video games that have the similar names, appearances, and/or personalities to Fire Emblem characters work here?

On 1/16/2019 at 12:04 PM, Azure in a Roundabout said:

That one post on tumblr where it was said in some history that an army of 80 came back with 81 because one of them joined up? I might need a link.

The country in question is Lichtenstein.

On 2/12/2019 at 1:21 AM, ping said:

There is no way that wasn't intentional.

I think it's incredibly likely it's a coincidence. It really doesn't take a genius to see Ike and Like are phonetically similar.  Ask someone to come up with a slogan involving Ike and I think 90% of people would gravitate towards the word like.

Edited by Jotari

14 hours ago, Jotari said:

I think it's incredibly likely it's a coincidence. It really doesn't take a genius to see Ike and Like are phonetically similar.  Ask someone to come up with a slogan involving Ike and I think 90% of people would gravitate towards the word like.

Fair, but I'm not American, born a long time after Eisenhower died (I'm old, but not that old) and know next to nothing about the man, and I'm still aware of his "I like Ike" campaign. I can't imagine that nobody in the developer crew of Smash was aware of that reference.

On ‎2‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 6:15 PM, Jotari said:

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 3:08 AM, Azure in a Roundabout said:

We like Ike is a cheer for Ike in SSB and a quote from Eisenhower’s campaign for President.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:30 AM, NegativeExponents- said:

I think of the South Park character by the same name. I also think of the word tyke which in turn makes me think of young Guts because he’s a tyke and looks like Ike.

"Ike" is actually short for "Isaac". That's why I pointed out that it could be a common name. 

Also, I feel there might be similarities between either me or my cats and Ryoma. Even his "bonding" quotes share similarities with my cats' behaviour. cough Lyla and Agi cough

Spoiler

20170624_212233.png <------------------ Agi

20170704_084628.png <-------- Lyla

Edited by WeAreNewcastle1053
Data management.

On 2/14/2019 at 6:27 AM, ping said:

Fair, but I'm not American, born a long time after Eisenhower died (I'm old, but not that old) and know next to nothing about the man, and I'm still aware of his "I like Ike" campaign. I can't imagine that nobody in the developer crew of Smash was aware of that reference.

It's certainly not impossible, but given how basic a slogan it is and how many chants they needed to make for Brawl, the possibility that someone came up with it in half a minute without giving it much thought seems equally as likely.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is an answer you are looking for, but I think the concept of fighting and defeating generic units describes the majority of our lives. 

From birth to death, we are always competing against some other dude who is definitely a person, but in our perceptive, is so irrelevant that we couldn't care less to actually be interested in knowing his name, life story, and ect. He could be talented or horrible in a number of things, but we don't really see that or care because we have our own lives to live and our own goals to achieve. If FE was a real universe, think about all of those generic units who were actually talented in playing an instrument, poetry, or just a really funny person to be around. That's how we experience real life, living with things to do that takes priority over meeting and getting to know every random person you walk by and from that stranger's point of view, we are also just a "generic unit". 

Hell, not to be too deep in saying this, but some of the player characters in FE verse are just generic units in the eyes of the generic units in a strange way. The enemy's attention is focused on eliminating Chrom or some other MAJORLY important character, not the dude who has a pot on his head, not the guy in armor who most people can't even see and not the edge lord with the hoody. Those descriptions are probably made in the eyes of people that are probably just soldiers trying to make a living and return to their family or even those who wishes to summon a gigantic death god dragon thing. Lmao. 

Edited by Martin

Haha, that's a really good philosophy, even if it sounds a little off-topic. It's such a beautiful analogy too.

Also, a couple minor things:
 - If you look at Ryoma at the right angle in some Fire Emblem cutscenes, he looks like a Lion character from Lego Legends of Chima. His "lion mask" doesn't help either.

Spoiler

unknown.png?width=841&height=473

A cat wearing a lobster costume... sounds familiar... Although this is only a memetic connection...

And a major one:

• Kana from FE Fates is quite like Doux from ONE.
  • They are both quite young, use "Mama/Papa" for their parents, Corrin and Zacharie respectively, and have a huge attachment to them, which makes them go to drastic measures to protect them and/or show their love for them (F!Kana calls her brother Shigure a horrible, parent-hating "teenager" just because he doesn't spend much time with his parents, and Doux travels through a whole bunch of harsh environments just to save his dad.)
  • A defining trait is that both also have a tendency to transform into terrible monsters when their emotions get the better of them (Kana turns into a dragon, Doux starts to become a "burnt") and they have to control this destructive condition (Kana needs a dragonstone, which also controls their dragon form, Doux simply has to stop his emotions from "getting too drastic"). The main emotion that seems to cause them to transform is most likely anger.
  • Another thing, Kana and Doux are both lonely kids, Kana is said to "get lonely and cry" sometimes, and Doux had no one else in the world but his father, and both kids lived in war-torn worlds, with Doux living in a world that had been ravaged by The Batter.
  • Finally, the circumstances of their birth and/or growing up are not natural - Kana was placed in a Deeprealm, causing them to grow up within a matter of days or weeks. Doux was "created" (not born) using the Grand Elements.
  • In Heirs of Fate, some of these traits become more and more obvious with Kana.

• 3 weeks later...

In the sixteenth century, a man named Inigo cast aside his knighthood status for the life of a meditative pilgrim, changing his name to Ignatius in the process. His travels eventually lead to a meeting with the Pope who approved his religious order, the well known Society of Jesus.

All I can think about is how insane it'd be if the Fates writers decided Inigo should change his name to Ignatius instead of Laslow. It'd be a hell of reference. It's almost ironic that they thought of Ignatius as a name for a character but put that name on the wrong guy

Edited by Glennstavos

4 hours ago, Glennstavos said:

In the sixteenth century, a man named Inigo cast aside his knighthood status for the life of a meditative pilgrim, changing his name to Ignatius in the process. His travels eventually lead to a meeting with the Pope who approved his religious order, the well known Society of Jesus.

All I can think about is how insane it'd be if the Fates writers decided Inigo should change his name to Ignatius instead of Laslow. It'd be a hell of reference. It's almost ironic that they thought of Ignatius as a name for a character but put that name on the wrong guy

He'd kind of need to swap to the priest class (or whatever Japanesy name it has in Fates) for the reference to full force.

Laus, Ostia and Bern are apparently large enough that the European localisation of FE7 saw fit to rename them Lahus, Ositia and Biran. If you see me use the latter in conversation, that's why. (Having personally played both US and EU copies of Tellius, I can confirm Crimea is untouched.)

I went looking for a map of Begnion for the purposes of plotting a story, and found there's a Bennion Beach about a half hour drive from me. I don't like beaches, but that's an annoying coincidence when you're typing "Begnion map" into a search engine.

43 minutes ago, Jotari said:

He'd kind of need to swap to the priest class (or whatever Japanesy name it has in Fates) for the reference to full force.

I think it's enough for somebody to give up their status and name to become a vitally important person in a far off land. The connection is not exact (obviously the writers didn't think of this connection, hence why it's an "unintentional" connection), but with the name change it would mean a lot more than rando characters and weapons being named after greek or norse myths throughout this series