Unintentional FE Connections in real life?

I'm not sure if this counts, but in Ft. Bragg near where I used to live in NC, there's a fitness center called...Frederick. I'm not joking. lol It really is Frederick Fitness Center. XD This doesn't seem like it could be common to me. I've never met anyone named Frederick either.

There's also a town named Frederick in Maryland. I got to take a ride through it. Nice little town, would give our lovable bear meat-hating butler knight justice, I'd say!

Edited by Anacybele

There's quite a few countries that share names with real life areas. Just to name a few: Bern, Ostia, Pherae, Altea, Crimea (as mentioned before)...

Edited by DancingDanny

1 hour ago, Dragoncat said:

Unless this is a political comment (in which case I wonder who the "Begnion" is supposed to be in that analogy), I doubt that this was unintentional. Fire Emblem tends to name its countries after random European locations: Gallia is Latin for Gaul, Lycia is in Anatolia (well, not quite Europe, but still), Ilia/Ileia/Elis is in Western Greece, Bern is Switzerland's de facto capital, Ostia was a ancient Roman city, Pherae was an ancient Greece city...

Actually, the Lycian League does seem to have theme, given that Laüs/Laus/Laos was another ancient city in Southern Italy, too. But choosing the capital's name of the Swiss of all people for the warlike country of the same games

2 hours ago, ping said:

Unless this is a political comment (in which case I wonder who the "Begnion" is supposed to be in that analogy), I doubt that this was unintentional. Fire Emblem tends to name its countries after random European locations: Gallia is Latin for Gaul, Lycia is in Anatolia (well, not quite Europe, but still), Ilia/Ileia/Elis is in Western Greece, Bern is Switzerland's de facto capital, Ostia was a ancient Roman city, Pherae was an ancient Greece city...

Actually, the Lycian League does seem to have theme, given that Laüs/Laus/Laos was another ancient city in Southern Italy, too. But choosing the capital's name of the Swiss of all people for the warlike country of the same games

It was more like "there's a place called Crimea" like OP's Valla.

Ostia is also a swear word in Spanish. I think it means "oh shit".

I'd say most of these connections are pretty intentional. In Elibe for example they were clearly going for a Mediterranean theme when it came to naming countries. Most Lycian territories are named after Greek or Roman locations, Etruria was a geographical location in ancient Italy and Ilia seems a pretty clearly stem from ''Ilios'' which is an alternative name for Troy. 

On 1/13/2019 at 1:02 PM, Espurrhoodie said:

Does having a friend that reminds you of an FE character count? Because one of my friends looks and acts like Owain.

I'm not even joking.

There was a guy named Boyd in my school and one time he walked into the classroom and tripped and fell into the bookshelf and all the books were on the floor.

There was also a guy named Heath, and some Matthews. But the Boyd was closest to his FE counterpart just because of that bookshelf incident.

On 1/14/2019 at 1:40 PM, The Dread Pirate Roberts said:

I had a teacher in high school named Mr. Eikenberry. I just called him Ike.

He didn't seem to mind at all.

There was a teacher whose first name was Darin and my friend joked that she was going to call him Marquess Laus.

5 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

There was a guy named Boyd in my school and one time he walked into the classroom and tripped and fell into the bookshelf and all the books were on the floor.

There was also a guy named Heath, and some Matthews. But the Boyd was closest to his FE counterpart just because of that bookshelf incident.

There was a teacher whose first name was Darin and my friend joked that she was going to call him Marquess Laus.

He actually does share his name with an FE character, but said character is the complete opposite of him.

His name is Marcus, and he apparently took Theater classes for a few years.

2 hours ago, Azure the Scale Tipper said:

I do also know a person named Deirdre irl.

Unlike that Deirdre, she still lives at a ripe old age.

I kind of want to name my daughter Deirdre. It’s a great name.

Whhaaattt that's so cool I thought Deirdre was a made up name.

1 hour ago, NekoKnight said:

Not a made up name, actually.

If you read the legend associated with her, you can probably see a few parallels with FE4.

Huh, yeah, she was raised in a forest and her romance ended in sorrow.

The dude who wanted to marry her when she got old enough...after meeting her as a baby. What a creep. That also happens in Twilight I heard, yet another reason why Twilight is terrible.

Three Houses also has the country of Leicester which is named after a British Earldom. 

Its where Claude probably hails from which is why I hope they'll change the name in the dub. Leicester certainly sounds exotic to the Japanese but to the west it comes off as unquestionably British. That doesn't really go well with Claude's southern appearance. Given Claude's more exotic looks his kingdom should reflect that. South European locations like Granada or Firenze would match Claude much better then the northern and Celtic sounding Leicester. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

7 hours ago, NekoKnight said:

Not a made up name, actually.

If you read the legend associated with her, you can probably see a few parallels with FE4.

She also parallels to Sigurd in Norse mythology more than FE!Sigurd actually does IMO.

It's mostly the detail with Deirdre and mythology!Sigurd being forced to forget the person they love (FE!Sigurd for Deirdre, Brynhild for mythology!Sigurd) in order to marry someone else (Arvis for Deirdre, Gudrun for mythology!Sigurd).

Random thing I noticed. 

I found a lot of towns on Animal Crossing: New Leaf named "Hoshido". One of them seemed have no link to Fire Emblem Fates AT ALL. Either the player named it to seem cool and jump on the Hoshido bandwagon or that was one hell of an unintentional connection.

Then again, I'm really not sure whether Hoshido is actually a common name so...

7 hours ago, WeAreNewcastle1053 said:

I found a lot of towns on Animal Crossing: New Leaf named "Hoshido". One of them seemed have no link to Fire Emblem Fates AT ALL. Either the player named it to seem cool and jump on the Hoshido bandwagon or that was one hell of an unintentional connection.

Then again, I'm really not sure whether Hoshido is actually a common name so...

Hoshido is a made up name for Fates, likely drawing inspiration from "Bushido" ie 'the way of the warrior'. I'd hazard a guess that those AC towns were named by fellow FE fans for no other reason than they liked the name.

On 1/13/2019 at 3:40 PM, Dragoncat said:

Yeah, Crimea being invaded from the east was awkward when I was playing early PoR. Shame Crimea didn't have the cat laguz to decide to help out.

Valentia's a little to the left of a larger island. It's even got a large tower that it's well known for in the larger island.

• 3 weeks later...

Unintentional? I bet that, despite any historical inaccuracy, many regions were given certain names absolutely on purpose.

Relevant to Conquest

In the early Middle Ages, Austrasia (the lands at the east) and Neustria (the western lands) were two of the separate kingdoms within Francia, The Kingdom of the Franks. The former would later become the Kingdom of Germany, and the latter would conform the Kingdom of France.

In the sixth century AD, Sigebert I became the first king of Austrasia, while his step-brother, Chilperic I, became the first king of Neustria.
King Sigebert married Princess Brunhilda, daughter to the King of Hispania. And soon afterwards, King Chilperic decided to marry Brunhilda's sister.
Shortly after their marriage, the Queen of Neustria was killed under the command of the favourite mistress of King Chilperic. This event would earn him the enmity of King Sigebert and Queen Brunhilda, and start a decades-long conflict in the realm.
Years later, when King Sigebert had conquered most of Neustria and had finally defeated Chilperic, he was assassinated by men working for Chilperic's mistress.
These events would inspire "The Song of the Nibelungs" centuries later.

Copied from my own replies to https://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?/topic/86209-what-culture-is-nohr-based-on/

I just remembered something else. I have (only) played Conquest in German and Spanish, and in the B-support conversation between Odin and Camilla, when he names her armour, he mentions that the name is expressed "in the old language of our land" (in der alten Sprache unseres Landes.) The name of the armour, "Swaläups Mena" (lit. great, magnificent Moon), is Gothic.
The Goths occupied great part of Europe at different periods during the first centuries A.D.

Most likely by chance, but it was a nice touch that the Gothic name of the armour was kept in the Spanish version of the game. After all, the Goths ruled Iberia for over two centuries in the Early Middle Ages.