Heroes Worldbuilding Headcanons

Dragoncat

Let's world build! 

Nifl commoners live in igloos, and many are nomads but there are some towns and villages. Their main industry is ice fishing, but there is a decent demand for clothing and other objects made from the bones and skins of the local wildlife such as seals, arctic foxes, snowshoe rabbits, etc. Often these goods will be traded with other nations and the fish caught will stay in Nifl to feed the people there. They also hunt, but a lot of their food is fish.

Muspell has a lot of warrior tribes that fight each other over territory and resources such as farmland or hunting grounds. Sometimes warriors from these tribes will be drafted into the military, Helbindi is an example. Muspell people in general are tough and hardy and what farmland does exist isn't very efficient, mostly only enough to feed one family. They are generally a nation of bandits who will pillage and invade for things they need or want.

Manaketes do not consider themselves loyal to any nation. They live in tribal hamlets across the world and many are mercenaries who will fight for whoever pays them. Manaketes that live in Muspell sometimes have problems with the warrior tribes attacking them for their valuables. Askr tends to try to forge alliances with its manakete tribes. Embla ignores theirs. There are not many manaketes in Nifl because it's too cold for them.

15 minutes ago, Etrurian emperor said:

You can see that the world maps of Heroes is divided in two continents. The main continent and a smaller but still large island. The larger mainland is Askr while the island is Embla.

This isn't really world building or a headcanon, but good to know regardless.

In my head canon, I am Kiran and I have all the waifus. I also renamed the Order of Heroes into the Harem of Heroes. Alfonse and other dudes are waifus instead of husbandos in my head canon.

5 hours ago, Dragoncat said:

Wow, does nobody else want to talk about this?

Probably.

57 minutes ago, XRay said:

Probably.

Sigh. You'd think if people say Fates needs more worldbuilding, then this would be something that they'd want to do. Very disappointing.

41 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

Sigh. You'd think if people say Fates needs more worldbuilding, then this would be something that they'd want to do. Very disappointing.

Maybe it will generate more interest after the game has ended and the authors can no longer fill in the gaps.

1 hour ago, XRay said:

Maybe it will generate more interest after the game has ended and the authors can no longer fill in the gaps.

Maybe, I didn't think of that.

I think a problem is that there really isn't much to go on to get real world building ideas. There are implications to be found in Fates, Magvel or Elibe but since Heroes focus so little on individual locations its hard to imagine much detail on them. It also doesn't help that you barely get to see Askr and Embla. In Book 1 you mostly fight in silly locations such as ''world of blazing'' and in Book 2 its mostly in Nifl and Muspul 

The environment in Askr does have a pretty unique design. There are these marble patterns placed all throughout the realm. One headcanon I have is that they are all connected to the portals in Askr and that perhaps energy flows through these patterns whenever a portal to another world opens up. 

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

I think a problem is that there really isn't much to go on to get real world building ideas. There are implications to be found in Fates, Magvel or Elibe but since Heroes focus so little on individual locations its hard to imagine much detail on them. It also doesn't help that you barely get to see Askr and Embla. In Book 1 you mostly fight in silly locations such as ''world of blazing'' and in Book 2 its mostly in Nifl and Muspul 

Well, that's when you use your imagination. Like, me saying Nifl civilians live in igloos and fish and trade fur and bones, none of that is implied, but is just me applying the culture of a real world group of people who live in a cold and snowy area. Eskimos. Not every headcanon has to be based on something you can actually see ingame, but if it makes sense it's good. 

2 hours ago, Etrurian emperor said:

The environment in Askr does have a pretty unique design. There are these marble patterns placed all throughout the realm. One headcanon I have is that they are all connected to the portals in Askr and that perhaps energy flows through these patterns whenever a portal to another world opens up. 

This makes sense. Perhaps there's a holiday or festival involving these marble patterns?

I've given it some thought and I think it could also be very possible that Muspel is heavily urbanized rather than tribalized. If there are only a few livable places in that lava world then it makes sense for all sorts of people to live close together in that very limited space. Helbindi also mentions the slums so I imagine most Muspel cities are just giant slums with the masses living in incredibly cramped spaces.

Niffleheim has 7 rivers in Norse Myth so maybe Niffle has 7 great noble houses that each are based around one of the 7 non frozen rivers of Niffle.