Would this be considered buffing or nerfing Phoenix Mode?

Perkilator

So, I’ve had an idea for a fixed Phoenix Mode; whenever a unit falls, they come back 3-5 turns later with most (not all) of their HP restored.

And I want your guys’ opinion: would that be buffing Phoenix Mode (making it better for people who didn’t like it before) or nerfing it?

Edited by Jingilator

1 minute ago, Jingilator said:

I edited the OP to say what I mean. Is that okay?

Yeah, that's an actual discussion point.

As for the answer to that, you'd have to understand why there was an uproar over Casual - which means the proposed change to Phoenix isn't going to sway opinions much (if at all).

I don't care for Phoenix mode. It really only had two uses for me: setting up an avatar for a friend's Corrin only playthrough and trying to rush through the game to rip models (I never actually managed the latter). It's just too easy and there isn't much consequence to what you do. I don't feel it should be gone just because I don't care for it though, as I'm sure someone might like the story but just not be as skilled. I feel casual is the lowest the game can be while the game retains some difficulty.

If I had to think of changes more befitting something below casual, without using Phoenix mode as a base

1. Weapons have infinite durability

2. Certain items are adjusted to be more powerful in the player's hands

3. Reinforcements are nerfed

4. Skills have a higher chance of activating.

For something based on Phoenix mode, I feel these changes could be made:

1. Revived units have exp gain impacted (either losing exp gained since starting the map or gain it much slower from combat on the rest of the map) or they could cost gold or a certain amount of vulenaries to revive. Maybe they can't use skills or have their stats decreased a bit for the rest of combat (once decrease only).

2. One other alternative could be replacing the respawning with Mila's Turnwheel with infinite use or limited use

Would I care if Phoenix mode was changed? Again, it wouldn't be relevant to me. I usually start FE games with casual, if the mode is available, and play Classic if I feel like giving myself a challenge after clearing the game once. If I feel like playing through again for fun, I'll just do casual. Phoenix mode's lack of difficulty and lack of consequences for actions means I probably won't give it a chance. I feel it might be worth a shot if it was a more player and beginner friendly casual mode for someone who's never played an FE game or is less skilled at tactical games. Even then, I'd just recommend it to new players rather than ever play it myself

Edited by Arcphoenix

Well I really don't like the existence of Phoenix mode on the grounds that there are no repercussions or impactful failure states. And in a strategy game that stresses the interaction in which the player learns the rules and learns from their mistakes, it was always a nonconducive inclusion. So if there were repercussions such as not being able to use that character for a few turns then I have to admit it's an improvement. Just not an improvement on a level that suddenly makes me like the inclusion of Phoenix mode. Casual is enough. It's already proven that you can beat Fire Emblem games on Casual using Auto Battle exclusively if you take the simple step to keep your units stocked on weapons to use. That's the easiest I ever want a Fire Emblem game to be.

My opinion hasn't changed, but I'll go a bit more in-depth.

4 hours ago, Florete said:

It's a nerf. Phoenix is meant to be an auto mode and this would pointlessly make it more difficult.

Phoenix doesn't exist to offer a fun gameplay experience, it exists so a person can relax and take in the story. Adding further penalties to it goes against this, and to directly answer your question, likely does little to nothing for the people who complain about the mode being too easy since the player is very unlikely to end up in any sort of true failure state (assuming the loss of all units at the same time would be considered a failure state).

I still say Phoenix mode isn't too easy, it's too hard. If you're going to make a mode like that, might as well go all in and basically make it a full visual novel mode.

In case of Fate it was just about right. I did one run, because for whatever reason I did not find a player who had Fiora with Replicate...
And it was nice to have for this case, because I wanted her to have it without investing anything in the playthrough, so I can rush through the game the fastest way possible until I could give her the skill.

So I would say it would nerf this mode. If you use this mode you do not want any kind of challenge. It is there to enjoy the story or play the game through without a barrier for whatever reason. 

My case seems to be a rare one. And I even do not play Casual if I play fire emblem, but for this case it was nice to have and I wouldn't have it any other way.

On ‎14‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 7:05 AM, Glennstavos said:

Well I really don't like the existence of Phoenix mode on the grounds that there are no repercussions or impactful failure states.

I'm pretty sure that if Corrin dies, you get a Game Over regardless of whether you're playing Phoenix Mode or not. If so, there's your repercussions/impactful failure state.

Oh, and by the way, I'm the kind of person who resets whenever anyone dies, meaning that there aren't repercussions or impactful failure states in any of the games.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

On 1/15/2019 at 5:11 AM, NinjaMonkey said:

I'm pretty sure that if Corrin dies, you get a Game Over regardless of if you're playing Phoenix Mode or not. If so, there's your repercussions/impactful failure state.

Oh, and by the way, I'm the kind of person who resets whenever anyone dies, meaning that there aren't repercussions or impactful failure states in any of the games.

The amount of time lost trying to clear the map when you reset is the repercussion to your failure state. This can often be a much bigger repercussion than simply ranking the loss and proceeding.

Edited by Jotari

On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 5:53 AM, Jotari said:

The amount of time lost trying to clear the map when you reset is the repercussion to your failure state.

Radiant Dawn has Battle Saves available on the difficulty I play on (Easy). So given that I save before I do anything "risky", the amount of time that I lose upon it going tits-up is negligible at best...

Edited by NinjaMonkey

36 minutes ago, NinjaMonkey said:

Radiant Dawn has Battle Saves available on the difficulty I play on (Easy). So given that I save before I do anything "risky", the amount of time that I lose upon it going tits-up is negligible at best...

If you're playing Radiant Dawn on easy then I'm surprised you ever even encounter something risky (normal mode has Battle Saves too in case you didn't know).

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

If you're playing Radiant Dawn on easy then I'm surprised you ever even encounter something risky

That's why I put it in quotes.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

(normal mode has Battle Saves too in case you didn't know).

I do, but I didn't mention it since it's not relevant.