Has anyone here switched their major? I am considerin doing so and need advice.

Fryer

Has anyone ever had to deal with this? I am currently a Sophomore student in university and I was always a pre-major for Accountancy. Took my first Accounting class, Financial, this semester and failed. I have been retaking this course online and I continue to struggle with it. Ever since the first week of the course, I have always had doubts in my mind in having picked this class. I was required to take a few Economics class as a pre-requisite for my major and I enjoyed them. I am not too strong in mathematics but the material was quite fascinating to me.

Has anyone been in my shoes before? What decision should I make? I know deep down that I am setting myself for failure if I persist with an Accounting degree. The material is quite dry to me and in the slim chance that I somehow pass all the Accountancy courses and graduate, I will be miserable even after college.

Edited by Fryer
more info

If you hate accounting now, it's not going to get better as you go along.  Talk to your advisor regarding this.  If you enjoy economics, see what other majors can make use of that. . .or what possible jobs you can get.

Well I did it twice, and I just graduated. 

My advice is still just do your core classes and figure out what you want to do so you don't waste time and money on classes you didn't need. I went in as music ed and realized that there's no money in it, then I went into HHP, and I flunked out of anatomy, which passing it was a prerequisite for most of the classes in that field. So I went into public management after seeing the emergency management classes which looked really interesting. 

And you might not even get a job in your field after you graduate, I have some older fraternity brothers who got a degree in Music who now sell insurance. Hell, I'm going into firefighting, I don't even need a degree to do that.

___

You might have to load up on credit hours if you want to graduate sooner.

Edited by Captain Karnage

11 minutes ago, Aera said:

How are you on your GEs? Have you finished? You can always try to do a degree audit and see which courses those economics fall under which major to see if you can try for another major. 

Just need to do a few science courses and nothing else. I was required to take a Macro and Microeconomics courses in my school in order to be eligible for the Accountancy program and I enjoyed them. These courses alongside Statistics were pretty much the only classes that I found interesting or enjoyable- strangest part is that I typically am weak in math.

The Pre-Requisites are nearly identical between business majors and Economics in my school (don't know why Econ is separate). In the back of my head, Econ was always my second choice.

Edited by Fryer
new info

If you hate accounting now, you probably won't ever like it. I just finished my accounting courses. Although I did well in them, I don't like it at all either. Plus you would have to worry about taking the CPA Exam and everything.

I would talk to the Economics department and your current advisor about switching. Luckily, the prerequisite classes for Econ and Business are pretty similar, so you won't lose much (if anything) by transferring now.

• 1 month later...

Yes. I was a Law undergraduate (or the closest thing to undergrads there is in my country) and got fed up with the course midway through it.

What I'd recomment to myself before switching (and even before picking a course on the first place) if I had my current day knowledge would be to research about it. You can take some free lectures in edx and Coursera that will give you an introductory understanding of the course you're thinking about going for, so you'll have a better notion on whether it's for you or not. There are some free courses sponsored by universities such as Harvard that are very good for beginners.

Also, talk to whoever is responsible for the course you want to enroll for. Ask them questions about the work area, about what you're going to study etc. Have all your doubts clarified before making a choice.

In my opinion, it's not worth enrolling in a course you know little about for a certificate that you're not even sure if it will significantly help you get a job on that field. Student loan debts are a nightmare.

Why are you studying accounting? What did you enjoy about economics? Would switching to something else (economics?) close or open any doors for you?

If you can't answer those, Rapier made great suggestions on how to go about some research. Personally I'd solicit thoughts from accounting and economics majors on Facebook or Reddit. Ask what they studied, what their work entails, and if they wish they'd done things differently. You'll find lots of people would jump at the chance to share their story and offer advice. You only need a few replies to get an idea of where each major might take your life and career and how those might jive with your talents.

That's at least what I wish I had thought to do. My career guidance was useless, the pre-requisites seemed irrelevant, and I lacked the experience and imagination to picture what jobs I could get. In my case I switched majors when I shouldn't have, but you shouldn't bias yourself toward you original choice if you have other good options.