FE6 Weapon Reversal

ltranc

Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade Weapon Reversal

FE6 Weapon Reversal is a reskin of Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade based on the concept used in FE8 Weapon Reversal by Kobazco.  All units and enemies have their classes changed to ones that have weapon triangle advantage over their original weapon(s).

All bosses and player units have unique palettes.

Additional changes from the base game:

Spoiler

Assassin has been added as a promotion for Thief with a Hero Crest.  It retains thief utility while gaining a critical boost.

Monk has been added.  It has the same promotion bonuses as Priest/Cleric.  It gets +1 Light rank and C Staves on promotion.

Sniper has a critical bonus.

The Pike (Rapier) now deals effective damage against Nomads, Nomad Troopers, Troubadours, and Valkyries.

Additional flier effective weapons have been added to make up for the lack of archers.

Eckesachs is effective against Wyvern Riders, Wyvern Lords, and Manaketes.

I recommend playing on Hard Mode.

Let me know if you encounter any bugs and/or have any balance suggestions.

Patch it over an unmodified Japanese FE6 rom.

Here is a link with character classes, growth rates, and promotion bonuses for convenience.

This is a document with credit for the animations, map sprites, and class cards that I've used for this hack.

Patches

FE6 Weapon Reversal

FE6 Weapon Reversal Without Weapon Changes

Edited by ltranc

Just beat Chapter 3.  I'm loving this hack already.  So many units are already better with reversed classes it's not funny.

Standouts include Elen, Wade, and Lot.  Roy already seems to be a lot better as well, since Lances have more punch and provide him with a proper 1-2-Range option.  Too bad he still has to promote late.  And Wolt may actually viable now as a healer due to his sheer availability alone.

Also, I love how Lugh is literally a banana.  XD

12 hours ago, Windy said:

I've tried patching it but all I get is a blank screen and a buzzing sound.

My bad, I didn't clarify the language for the FE6 rom.  Patch it over an unmodified Japanese FE6 rom.

Edited by ltranc

35 minutes ago, Baby Bonnie Hood said:

Does that even need clarification?  There's really like only one single version of FE6 unmodified.

They may have tried to patch it over a Binding Blade ROM that had already been patched over.

I was initially using a binding blade rom that was translated. Guess that counts as modified so it didn't work. Understandable as this patch already translates the rom. Just a simple misunderstanding on my part.

Edited by Windy

• 3 weeks later...

So I got to chapter 12, saw that the dragon boss was changed into a Bard, and proceeded to laugh my ass off at the thought of Bern taking over the world with an army of Bards.  Then I got to chapter 14 and the dragons are back.  So what was the point of changing the boss of chapter 12 if the change isn't consistent like with all other enemies?

7 hours ago, XIII Hearts said:

So I got to chapter 12, saw that the dragon boss was changed into a Bard, and proceeded to laugh my ass off at the thought of Bern taking over the world with an army of Bards.  Then I got to chapter 14 and the dragons are back.  So what was the point of changing the boss of chapter 12 if the change isn't consistent like with all other enemies?

I changed roughly a quarter or third of the Manaketes into Bards.  Some of them stay Manaketes and some of them become Bards.  Chapter 14 already has a ton of fliers, it doesn't need speedy magic users popping out of the fog too.

Edited by ltranc

20 hours ago, AnonymousSpeed said:

I've been really enjoying the hack so far. Do you have any plans to apply this same concept to another GBA game?

I know a guy who's working on FE7 Weapon Reversal, but I believe it's on the backburner for right now.  Progress is slow because each chapter requires changing four groups of enemies.

So I just got to chapter 21, and either the game glitched or you made a really dumb decision, because Roy starts this map in the bottom right corner where the boss is instead of the upper left where the rest of the army starts.  If this was intended, why?  Roy's starting position immediately triggers Galle's reinforcements meaning that you have to deal with much more enemies earlier on than intended, and since Roy doesn't promote until after this chapter, he's stuck with only average stats surrounded by dragons which he is unable to kill if you didn't go the Ilia route to obtain the spear and Snipers with Killer Bows who will kill him with a single critical resulting in a game over.  I lost this map twice so far because the Snipers murdered him in a single hit and one time because of a bullshit Berserker crit despite me having the Axereaver and while on a mountain.  I had to waste a Warp and Rescue use because no one could conceivably reach him in time before he was surrounded and killed.

2 hours ago, XIII Hearts said:

So I just got to chapter 21, and either the game glitched or you made a really dumb decision, because Roy starts this map in the bottom right corner where the boss is instead of the upper left where the rest of the army starts.  If this was intended, why?  Roy's starting position immediately triggers Galle's reinforcements meaning that you have to deal with much more enemies earlier on than intended, and since Roy doesn't promote until after this chapter, he's stuck with only average stats surrounded by dragons which he is unable to kill if you didn't go the Ilia route to obtain the spear and Snipers with Killer Bows who will kill him with a single critical resulting in a game over.  I lost this map twice so far because the Snipers murdered him in a single hit and one time because of a bullshit Berserker crit despite me having the Axereaver and while on a mountain.  I had to waste a Warp and Rescue use because no one could conceivably reach him in time before he was surrounded and killed.

I apologize, that was during my tests of Galle's spawn and stats.  Redownload the patch for it has been fixed.

I'm also not sure what's with the invisible blue mercenary.  I have not encountered it in my test runs.

Edited by ltranc

4 hours ago, ltranc said:

I apologize, that was during my tests of Galle's spawn and stats.  Redownload the patch for it has been fixed.

I'm also not sure what's with the invisible blue mercenary.  I have not encountered it in my test runs.

Maybe the blue mercenary had something to do with me being on normal mode?  I know you said to play it on Hard Mode, but since this essentially a new game, I have to go through it on Normal Mode first.  Can you make a .sav file of this ROM hack available so people can play on Hard Mode from the start?  Or maybe it was somehow caused by Merlinus?  This was the first time I actively deployed him since I got battle preparations (also something to note; Galle and his group of enemies never attacked Merlinus despite him being in range) and when he got taken out later in the map, the mercenary proceeded to walk off the map.  I think this warrants some investigation

As for me, I've beaten chapter 21 and am on 21x, so my plan is to beat the game, redownload and reinstall the patch, rename this save file to match the name for the new .gba file, and hope that works.

On ‎2‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 10:28 PM, ltranc said:

I changed roughly a quarter or third of the Manaketes into Bards.  Some of them stay Manaketes and some of them become Bards.  Chapter 14 already has a ton of fliers, it doesn't need speedy magic users popping out of the fog too.

I hope that's a Hard Mode thing. because in my normal playthrough only the two dragon bosses were changed into Bards.  That's nowhere near a quarter or third of the total Manaketes.  I would honestly prefer it if you changed all the Manaketes, including reinforcements, into Bards.

45 minutes ago, XIII Hearts said:

I hope that's a Hard Mode thing. because in my normal playthrough only the two dragon bosses were changed into Bards.  That's nowhere near a quarter or third of the total Manaketes.  I would honestly prefer it if you changed all the Manaketes, including reinforcements, into Bards.

I had made the change sometime after the initial post, so it's possible you downloaded a much earlier version, especially with the Ch21 Roy spawn location error.  I've now updated the links with a patch that has a lot more Bards than before, but I don't really want to go overboard with enemies that are basically speedy and dodgy Sages.

1 hour ago, ltranc said:

I had made the change sometime after the initial post, so it's possible you downloaded a much earlier version, especially with the Ch21 Roy spawn location error.  I've now updated the links with a patch that has a lot more Bards than before, but I don't really want to go overboard with enemies that are basically speedy and dodgy Sages.

Alright.  Speaking of Sages, maybe this is also because of the early patch I have, but there's a glitch with the critical animation of Sages where the sound doesn't play when they make the triangle of magic balls before attacking.  Also, Monks don't have any sound when attacking like they do in FE 7 and FE 8.  Also their movement sounds is that of an Armor Knight (I think Saint's have that same problem too, but I can't remember).

48 minutes ago, XIII Hearts said:

Alright.  Speaking of Sages, maybe this is also because of the early patch I have, but there's a glitch with the critical animation of Sages where the sound doesn't play when they make the triangle of magic balls before attacking.  Also, Monks don't have any sound when attacking like they do in FE 7 and FE 8.  Also their movement sounds is that of an Armor Knight (I think Saint's have that same problem too, but I can't remember).

FE6 Sages and Druids don't have sounds for their special criticals.  FE6 doesn't have the specific sound for the Monk little light thingy so I just decided to leave it be.  I replaced female Knight and General with both Monk classes which is why they have the armor moving sound, and I don't know how to fix it.  Also I am officially the dumbest person alive, I forgot to change it back to Chapter 2 after my testing.  I've updated the patch link.  

Edited by ltranc