Spear Training thingy

Hecatia

On October, I bought a wooden spear from a chinese shop and I've been practicing with it when I had some free time until it broke. Then a friend made one and I still haven't broken this one.

In all this time, I tried to look for some guides or videos for training, but I need specific terms to search or I'm just stupid and blind. So I've been just trying my best by myself.

Have you tried this same thing before? I don't think I'm alone on this one.

I think if you look up Historical European Martial Arts (abbreviated as "HEMA"), you might find something.  I mean, it's very broad, but those into HEMA are into all manner of weapons.  Maybe if you attached "with spears" or "with polearms" to your search inquiries, you might find something.

Alternatively, find someone who can teach you to use battlestaves/rods.  A lot of the concepts that apply to those weapons apply to spears.  Or you can see about halberd training.

It's not quite as easy to find those who'll train in the use of spears, is it?  Conversely, you'll probably find at least three different schools of unarmed training and probably two-or-so sword training places unless it's a small town (although swords technically count as "unarmed combat" in a warfare sense).  I think it's, ironically enough, mainly due to the fact that spears are easier to use than fists or swords.  Also because you can't really sheathe a lance like you can a sword or even an axe, so it's mostly seen as a weapon that you'd only carry with you onto a battlefield.

3 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

In all this time, I tried to look for some guides or videos for training, but I need specific terms to search or I'm just stupid and blind. So I've been just trying my best by myself.

I looked up "spear fighting techniques" on YouTube.

This video by Lindybeige talked a bit about the problem of why there are less educational material on spear combat. Swords are generally more popular due to its status symbol and it is often depicted as a hero's primary weapon. The video also showed a lot of sparring between spears and swords.

This video by ACTdirector have some step by step explanations for their sparring.

Sparring demonstration part 1 and part 2 from Roland Warzecha.

Skallagrim made a POV sparring video with a spear. He also highlighted some no brainer advantages and techniques in this video: keeping your distance and thrusting rapidly is a pain for opponents to deal with if they have shorter weapons.

Some videos by scholagladiatoria: thrusting (but penetrating balls deep into the opponent is bad), when and when not to cut, spear and shield/overhand vs. underhand grip.

Edited by XRay

Skallagrim did a sparring video on lances a long time ago. You could probably watch it to get an idea of the thing and it's advantages and stuff

@Ertrick36 I knew some people on my university who were in the same thing and also were self-taught, I forgot to ask for references and for their phones so we could train together ;w;

And well, I can only find martial arts schools around here, like Karate and Taekwondo.

I can't believe how blind I was D:
Thank you so much for providing me with all of this!