How many of your favorite characters are in Heroes?

Not all that many honestly, but most of the important characters in the Judgral parts made it in at least like Lewyn, Taillte, Leif, Nanna, although FE5 definitely needs more characters.

Tellius's cast is disappointing for me so far honestly. No single Crimean Knight, no Jill, none of the Dawn Brigade, none of big villains aside Zelgius.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 hours ago, Necrofantasia said:

Not all that many honestly, but most of the important characters in the Judgral parts made it in at least like Lewyn, Taillte, Leif, Nanna, although FE5 definitely needs more characters.

Tellius's cast is disappointing for me so far honestly. No single Crimean Knight, no Jill, none of the Dawn Brigade, none of big villains aside Zelgius.

Naesala doesn’t count? And yeah, Tellius has a criminally low number of characters in Heroes. Give us Jill, Ranulf, the Dawn Brigade, the rest of the Greil Mercs, and so on

The one Tellius villain I'd love to see and hear voiced for the first time in Heroes is Petrine. I just love the tough, slightly more mature looking chicks and there aren't enough of them in Heroes (I'd say Nailah is one though). 

Some member the other day posted a list of remaining characters from each game and singled out Vaida as a character whose style makes it so that despite being a woman, she'll never be in Heroes. Then I look at her Blazing Sword art and I feel she looks amazing (plus she could come with her god spear). I don't understand why a character as boring as Fiora would be a better sell. 

Edited by Vince777

Yeah, I really like Fiora. Though that's a bit odd since I don't like Kent and they're meant to be similar, as their supports even point this out. But I guess I found it more interesting for a woman to have that kind of personality? I do think Fiora is really pretty too, while Kent is eh to me in the looks department. I also just tend to like older sisters anyway.

It's interesting that you don't like Kent considering I find him so similar to Frederick in both looks and personality. Maybe I'm missing some of Fred's quirks. 

I brought up Fiora because I see her wished for occasionally when Blazing Sword is mentionned and I just don't see what she has going for her. I find her bland in all ways. Her sister Farina is much more interesting in my opinion.

Edited by Vince777

Fiora wasn't bad to me, restrained and mellow, and she did have some somewhat interesting supports. Besides the usual sisters' dynamic (done well with Farina), the Kent thing where they both end up somehow breaking their discipline and either kissing or more offscreen and feeling only partly guilty is... different. And the Pent support is unique, it helps FE7 on the whole, because it means somebody else in the whole wide world started taking notice of Nergal. 

Fiora's most problematic support is the Eliwood. There, it is vanilla on vanilla, and unlike the Kent, it doesn't work out so well for me. Which is why when Ninian exists for Eliwood and little else, Lyn is the only woman for Eliwood to me, independent and with some kick to the relationship.

2 hours ago, Vince777 said:

The one Tellius villain I'd love to see and hear voiced for the first time in Heroes is Petrine. I just love the tough, slightly more mature looking chicks and there aren't enough of them in Heroes (I'd say Nailah is one though). 

Some member the other day posted a list of remaining characters from each game and singled out Vaida as a character whose style makes it so that despite being a woman, she'll never be in Heroes. Then I look at her Blazing Sword art and I feel she looks amazing (plus she could come with her god spear). I don't understand why a character as boring as Fiora would be a better sell. 

Petrine would probably be the next PoR GHB after Ashnard, so two-three years from now. 

I don't particularly like Petrine, but I do like the parallelism with her. 

She is a female Paladin with weapon ranks in Lances and Axes. She is loyal to a man with ranks in Swords and Axes. Of whom do I speak? Petrine... or Titania? I sorta like to consider them evil sisters, with their dominant weapon rank the opposite of the other. Greil is a Hero A Sword S Axe, Ashnard has his own class with S Sword A Axe. -If only they had opposite Affinities (they don't sadly, the opposite of Light is Dark, and the opposite of Thunder is Fire).

While FE9 draws from Judgral for its primary inspiration, Petrine as I see it is also actually an FE6 creation. She is essentially Narcian's sister from another mister. Both appear the beginning of the respective games as a big bad, then they fade away, before returning and being the first of their titular groups- the Wyvern Generals and the Four Riders, to die. They are both narcissists who hide their relative ineptitude vis a vis their kind via bravado. Both also carry uniquely magical physical weapons. Perhaps for these reasons, she'd get Narcian's artist.

Vaida stands a chance of a GHB somewhere along the line, given she is a boss in a chapter. My personal problem with her is that beyond the Heath and Harken and maybe the Wallace, she is much too abrasive in her supports. Canas and Merlinus didn't deserve how she treated them. Her scarred-up and short-haired looks aren't at issue for me, but might be for others.

16 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

Her sister Farina is much more interesting in my opinion.

A fellow Farina fan! :Farina::Farina:

I outright loathe Anna since Awakening, but Farina I do really like, despite her being obsessed with money too.

It helps she doesn't do anything seriously wrong like Anna does nowadays. Also helping is that although wants money for herself, she also does it to help the all-too-charitable Fiora, it isn't all selfishness. She gives money to Dorcas too, so it isn't just family bonds. Farina is a more well-rounded, restrained, and developed, but still very fun and vibrant version of Anna before her current self was a thing. She might actually be my favorite Pegasus Knight of all FE and I thank her for getting +20 Def with only the Afa's Drops by 20/8 once.

40 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

It's interesting that you don't like Kent considering I find him so similar to Frederick in both looks and personality. Maybe I'm missing some of Fred's quirks. 

You definitely are missing some of Freddy's quirks. Kent isn't overly doting or overprotective or picks up pebbles or is a fitness junkie or has an amusing fear of bear meat and the list could go on. Freddy has a lot more funny moments too imo. Frederick is surely a lot stronger and beefier as well, and I like a big strong man. In fact, doesn't Kent actually have low str? lol I remember he had 14 str for me once while Sain had 26 str and both were Paladins just one level apart. Also, Kent doesn't look anything like Frederick, wtf... And besides, I think Frederick is a lot more attractive.

Edited by Anacybele

I guess I was fishing for a reaction. 

You like Fred and to each their own. He's apparently popular enough to get alts so you're not alone. Personally, I generally dislike the loyal to a fault, self-sacrificing gang that believe their lives to be of less importance than those they protect who by sheer luck of birth, where born into noble/royal families. That is why I hated Forsyth so much as a character in Echoes and in reverse loved Python so much. 

As for game stats, I don't think they matter. Unless you want me to tell you Fred's got the poorest stats at comparable levels when compared to basically everyone.

Edited by Vince777

12 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

You like Fred and to each their own. He's apparently popular enough to get alts so you're not alone. Personally, I generally dislike the loyal to a fault, self-sacrificing gang that believe their lives to be of less importance than those they protect who by sheer luck of birth, where born into noble/royal families. That is why I hated Forsyth so much as a character in Echoes and in reverse loved Python so much. 

Yeah, to each their own. But...you're saying you hate selflessness and prefer someone be selfish instead? I...can't understand this.

Frederick only has poor bases. He has really good growths. And imo, Kent's growths are eh.

Edited by Anacybele

Faves in heroes:

Ike, Soren, Micaiah, Zelgius, Tibarn, Reyson, Naesala, Arvis, Berkut, Saber, Ephriam, Lyon, Celica and Eliwood.

Faves not yet in heroes.... :(

Kurthnaga, Zihark, Lucia, Geoffrey, The Remaining Greil Mercs omitting Gatrie, Stefan, Sephrian, Dheginsea, Pelleas, Jill, Haar, Volke, Luthier, Ross, Heath, Gerik Mercs and that's all I recall at the moment. I have so many favourites.

3 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Vaida stands a chance of a GHB somewhere along the line, given she is a boss in a chapter. My personal problem with her is that beyond the Heath and Harken and maybe the Wallace, she is much too abrasive in her supports. Canas and Merlinus didn't deserve how she treated them. Her scarred-up and short-haired looks aren't at issue for me, but might be for others.

A fellow Farina fan! :Farina::Farina:

I outright loathe Anna since Awakening, but Farina I do really like, despite her being obsessed with money too.

It helps she doesn't do anything seriously wrong like Anna does nowadays. Also helping is that although wants money for herself, she also does it to help the all-too-charitable Fiora, it isn't all selfishness. She gives money to Dorcas too, so it isn't just family bonds. Farina is a more well-rounded, restrained, and developed, but still very fun and vibrant version of Anna before her current self was a thing. She might actually be my favorite Pegasus Knight of all FE and I thank her for getting +20 Def with only the Afa's Drops by 20/8 once.

Do you think Vaida was jealous of Canas due to his smarts? I think that was the case as she was belittling his studious nature but then she is all over Zephiel despite him also being studious. An inconsistency no? 

Caeda and Elincia>Farina IMO.

3 hours ago, Anacybele said:

Yeah, to each their own. But...you're saying you hate selflessness and prefer someone be selfish instead? I...can't understand this.

Selflessness is honorable when a mother protects her child. It needs to be for a good reason. Helping the weak is a good reason but that is not what these retainers are doing. They are maintaining an order that inferiorizes them. They protect the elite, the strong. When a soldier protects the noble class, I see it as them diminishing their own value. What has the noble done to earn that they'd throw their life away for them on the first command? Our worth shouldn't be decided by what family we were born into. Fred and other devout and zealous soldier types seem to believe it is.

I'd love Fred a lot more if he defended Chrom and Lissa, who seem to be great human beings from what I recall, for reasons other than them being royalty. 

Edited by Vince777

12 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

I'd love Fred a lot more if he defended Chrom and Lissa, who seem to be great human beings from what I recall, for reasons other than them being royalty.

He does though. He doesn't defend them simply because they're royalty. He defends them because he made it his job to and because he does legit care about them too. Frederick said to Chrom once that he also serves him because he's worthy of being served, when Chrom said he was a bit envious of Walhart. Frederick basically said Chrom shouldn't be, that he's a good ruler as is. And he said he could never serve someone like Walhart. Heck, Frederick also believes they share a bond, he begs Chrom to throw coins in a fountain to wish for that bond to keep being strong lol. This is in a festival DLC conversation.

Frederick also goes out of his way to defend anyone he thinks ought to be defended, not just his liege. He believes it to be his duty and purpose in life, and he enjoys it. There's more to it than just his liege being royalty.

Edited by Anacybele

26 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Caeda and Elincia>Farina IMO.

Elincia rides a Pegasus, but don't think included her when I was thinking that. Since she is in her own special Princess Crimea/Queen class and in a sense "written apart from the class". I'm not saying class always defines character, but it does one cannot deny its influence at times.

As for Caeda, like Marth, she is inoffensive to me.

My favourite pegasus knight is probably Subaki.

A man tortured by his own obsession of being perfect (or at least looking to others like he is). Shamed when inavertedly weakness is shown. He's a bit like the modern person putting on a front on social media about how their life is wonderful and eventful when it is in reality only ordinary. Fates characters might be one-toned gimmicks but I thought it was a rather unique and interesting character trait. Also enjoyed every minute of Hana taunting him.

Or Clair, a bit of a rehash of Maribelle but that's a good thing because both are great characters. 

Edited by Vince777

4 minutes ago, Vince777 said:

Selflessness is honorable when a mother protects her child. It needs to be for a good reason. Helping the weak is a good reason but that is not what these retainers are doing. They are maintaining an order that inferiorizes them. They protect the elite, the strong. When a soldier protects the noble class, I see it as them diminishing their own value. What has the noble done to earn that they'd throw their life away for them. Our worth shouldn't be decided by what family we were born into. Fred and other devout and zealous soldier types seems to believe it is.

What a person thinks is worth protecting is highly subjective. It is more about what the soldiers perceive to gain from fighting for a certain cause than what the soldiers actually gain.

For a real life example, I think the average Republican voter in America is much better off electing a Democratic politician who can better protect their economic and material interests. Instead Republican voters vote for Republican politicians who promotes "religious freedom," lower taxes, etc. that does not do anything for the average Republican voter even though they think those issues matter a lot.

For Frederick specifically, while he is not a royal, he is still a knight and is a part of the upper crust of society. Unless the king is weak or is working against the elites, nobles generally want the king to stay in power so the nobles can have a cut of the powers (and especially tax money) delegated to them.

21 minutes ago, XRay said:

For a real life example, I think the average Republican voter in America is much better off electing a Democratic politician who can better protect their economic and material interests. Instead Republican voters vote for Republican politicians who promotes "religious freedom," lower taxes, etc. that does not do anything for the average Republican voter even though they think those issues matter a lot.

Actually, some Republican voters (me included) know the damage Democratic politicians' economic plans can cause small businesses, like the one my family has.  So no...  I don't see it as voting against my interests, economic or otherwise.  Lower taxes do directly affect my middle class family, and I live in a high tax state that is losing businesses in droves.  (Also, I'm a pro-life woman, so I'm a rare person who finds a clear home in the more conservative party, even if I don't support some high profile Republicans).  But I realize I may not be the majority of Republicans, even if I know many others who feel the way I do.

On topic, I'm thrilled FEH has made an effort to include more Tellius characters, which are my favorites.  Thanks to this most recent banner, I was surprised that most of my favorites are now in the game.  I still want more Tellians (and there are notable characters missing), but the latest banner was a good start.

46 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Elincia rides a Pegasus, but don't think included her when I was thinking that. Since she is in her own special Princess Crimea/Queen class and in a sense "written apart from the class". I'm not saying class always defines character, but it does one cannot deny its influence at times.

As for Caeda, like Marth, she is inoffensive to me.

Is the term inoffensive an inoffensive way of calling a character bland? 

3 minutes ago, Venmi said:

Actually, some Republican voters (me included) know the damage Democratic politicians' economic plans can cause small businesses, like the one my family has.  So no...  I don't see it as voting against my interests, economic or otherwise.  Lower taxes do directly affect my middle class family, and I live in a high tax state that is losing businesses in droves.  (Also, I'm a pro-life woman, so I'm a rare person who finds a clear home in the more conservative party, even if I don't support some high profile Republicans).  But I realize I may not be the majority of Republicans, even if I know many others who feel the way I do.

That is the point. Which leader a person prefers to keep in power is pretty subjective. I think Republican's call for lower taxes is just an excuse to give a tax break for the rich and push the tax burden onto the middle class while reducing infrastructure and social spending that are vital for the well being of the nation.

20 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Is the term inoffensive an inoffensive way of calling a character bland? 

Hmm... Well they don't bore me to tears or anything. Caeda and Marth are just... well they don't evoke strong emotions either way. -Which might be the definition of bland! But I don't like using the word, since "bland" has the connotation of disliking, while I do try to be diplomatic and empathetic, I don't try to actively hate a character most the time. 

-Mind you I did just criticize Awakening+ Anna above with outright admittance of loathing, I can't deny that. But at least it was done with the purpose here of not just stating a dislike for her. It was done to help by comparison with evidence to define what is likable in Farina for me, using a character most/all would know.

Elincia and Caeda are two of my favorite Fire Emblem characters, but I generally consider them as set apart from other pegasus riders because of how they're written, and the roles they play to the main protagonists and the story. Elincia has her own unique class, and Caeda is Marth's lover and seems set apart from Palla, Catria, and Est.

With Elincia and Caeda set aside, I think Fiora is probably my favorite pegasus rider. I love her relationship with her sisters (especially Farina), her support with Pent is beneficial to both of them AND the plot of the game, and her supports with both Sain and Kent are good in their own ways. I really like Farina and Florina as well, and pegasus riders from other games like Subaki, the Whitewing sisters, Marcia, and Thea, but Fiora edges them all out.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Hmm... Well they don't bore me to tears or anything. Caeda and Marth are just... well they don't evoke strong emotions either way. -Which might be the definition of bland! But I don't like using the word, since "bland" has the connotation of disliking, while I do try to be diplomatic and empathetic, I don't try to actively hate a character most the time. 

-Mind you I did just criticize Awakening+ Anna above with outright admittance of loathing, I can't deny that. But at least it was done with the purpose here of not just stating a dislike for her. It was done to help by comparison with evidence to define what is likable in Farina for me, using a character most/all would know.

I think Caeda's recruitment conversations are the best out of any FE character by far which is why I'd consider her far superior to someone like Farina who is a pain to recruit and her supports aren't anywhere near the best in the series. 

2 hours ago, Icelerate said:

I think Caeda's recruitment conversations are the best out of any FE character by far which is why I'd consider her far superior to someone like Farina who is a pain to recruit and her supports aren't anywhere near the best in the series. 

The Castor is hardly notable, the Jake isn't much more. The Roger I will admit is a clever little play of flirtations, pathos, and cold trickery. And the Lorenz has a neat little philosophical musing tossed in it, certainly the best of the bunch. Looking over the NM ones now, the Samto could substitute her for anyone, the Jake is hardly better, and yet the Roger is quite good again.

So three notable conversations of the bunch, the rest being no better than average. Is it enough to call a character great because of that? -Of course actually. Character judgements are ultimately subjective things. And this being only video game characters, the choice has no real significance or consequence.

As for Farina, it isn't necessarily they're the absolute best supports (I don't think anyone has a monopoly on these), they aren't I know. Yet compared to the other Pegasus Knights I know, they add up to being the best. And I guess my general perception of Caeda leans toward... archetypal, generic if spun badly (which I would rather not do); kind and good, with some high notes, but nothing that goes high enough for my mind to interpret it as a felt "great!". 

Although Farina isn't what I'd consider that much a pain to recruit, only 20k. Which, barring a Funds Rank run, is no issue with any unused promotion items and stat boosters you can sell, particularly on Hard with the Silver Card halving weapon expenses.

Edited by Interdimensional Observer

4 hours ago, XRay said:

For Frederick specifically, while he is not a royal, he is still a knight and is a part of the upper crust of society. Unless the king is weak or is working against the elites, nobles generally want the king to stay in power so the nobles can have a cut of the powers (and especially tax money) delegated to them.

What you say may be true about some, but not for Frederick. He does not at all strike me as someone who is only serving his liege for his own personal gain, not when he works hard to protect and help ALL of the Shepherds and innocent people, not just his lord and lady. And as I said, he enjoys it. This is what he loves to do too, even if he sometimes goes overboard.