What are your thoughts about a Smash collaboration?

Javi Blizz

Hey guys! So, since I’ve seen that this topic is starting to appear in the schedule thread, I think maybe we should move the discussion to somewhere else, like this thread. 

Before giving my and your opinion, please, take into consideration a few things:

- Try to make it apport something, not just saying ‘I hate collabs and should be vanished’ or ‘I’d throw all my money to it’.

- Give reasons why you want them or not.

- Try to say a way to implement them or not, dependind on what did you decided previously. 

So, with that said, this is my opinion:

Right now, I don’t want to see a collab with Smash or any other game in FEH. That comes from a few points:

- There are still many important characters to be added to the game.

- Those important characters are yet getting slowed by special heroes focii, which are increasing every year, or at least seem to be doing so.

- Special Heroes focii don’t come with a story chapter (I think that we can assume that Collab heroes would be a Special Heroes focus that would not replace any of the yearly repeated focii), and story is still playing at a glacial path.

- Maybe not the majority, but many players could see the inmersion sense broken while seeing things like Pikachu and Mario in this game (because let’s be honest, IS would do such a stupid thing instead of only adding TLoZ, Kid Icarius and Xenoblade characters).

BUT, if a collab had to happen, I would prefer if:

- Instead of adding the characters, FE characters dressed up like a cosplay of them. There are enough things in FE world to emulate what Pikachu/Mario/Samus can do without adding them to the game. 

- Bonus points if they are not Camilla/Chrom/Lyn/etc.

- Cosplays would not break so much the inmersion, or at least not more than Santa Robin, Halloween Mía, Summer Cordelia, etc.

So, what do you think guys?

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see how this would be working for players and for the company as well. As you said, there are still a lot of Fire Emblem characters missing from the game, like 465 of them. IS can already see how many dislikes their trailers can get when they give us banners with units who have 5-6 alts already. Even with all these alts, there are rare exceptions that I could see working, like an old man Hector with beard. So who would spend money or orb on these characters at all?

Let's look at special heroes. Seasonal versions are questionable how they fit in the world of Fire Emblem, like Spring, Summer and Christmas to be exact. I guess it works because it's not a foreign thing for any of us. But heroes from a non-FE universe, or FE characters cosplaying as one of them would be too over the top in my opinion. How would they even explain themselves in their conversations? I mean some seasonal banners we have units who dress up, feel embarrassed, but at least they can explain why they dress up like that. It would definitely break the immersion.

Keep in mind, Smash is a crossover fighting game with Nintendo series, but Heroes is a spin-off tactical rpg with units from the series. There's a huge gap between these 2 things, and I don't see Smash working in Heroes in any shape or form. Special Heroes now and then are fine, but with the huge number of characters missing from Heroes, they should focus more on adding new Heroes, so people can build their favorites instead of making a risky crossover banner.

I wouldn't really mind a collab event.  It's a pretty normal thing for gacha games, can be a fun bit of silliness.  Though the FE Fanbase from what I've observed might be allergic to collabs so I think that would be the unpopular opinion.

I would rather it not be with Smash though, because Smash is already a crossover franchise.  I'd rather have a straight up LoZ, Kid Icarus, or Xenoblade collab with just characters from that franchise instead of throwing in a mishmash which is what a Smash banner would be.

Pretty much, I agree with you. There's still that 3 heroes event that recently came to the game, and that was essentially a Smash event. That kind of thing I don't mind (especially since one of the 3 heroes wasn't a staffer this time THANK GOODNESS.) I could see a Smash banner featuring FE characters (since FE characters are in Smash) but including characters from other series? Ehhh… That'd be weird for me, both because of the invasion of characters from other series in a game meant to encompass FE specifically, and as a fan of, say, LoZ seeing Link (who's only supposed to appear in his reincarnation cycle to save Hyrule except in cases of Smash (him in Mario Kart was both cool and weird) and the Smash canon makes this make sense) suddenly in a FE game. It's just like...sometimes, things a great separately, but not so great together. Like setsumas and toothpaste.

I play Feh to play with my old favourites from the old FE games. A celebration of the series they called it iirc. Seasonals and OC's are bad enough, I don't need to see Smash bros stuff. This is the only Gacha game I play, and its only because it is FE. If this wasnt a FE game I would not be playing it.

If I want to play a collab game, I'll go play smash instead.

I don't see Smash being a good franchise to be chosen was the collab, for the same reason @Glaceon Mage said. To be fair, I would prefer to not have a collab... But I wouldn't  mind to have FE characters with Nintendo games costumes.

Edited by Diovani Bressan

At most, I can see FE characters cosplaying as non-FE characters that appeared as fighters in Smash Bros. It's also possible (assuming the banner were indeed SSB-themed) for a Roy alt to be present since Roy's outfit in SSB4/SSBU is a combination of his original appearance from FE6 and his DLC appearance in FE13.

What I don't want to see is non-FE characters joining the roster in FEH; this is Fire Emblem Heroes - not Super Smash Bros. All Stars. And if non-FE SSB characters get to join the roster, then there is absolutely no reason for IS to not include OCs from Cipher, TMS#FE, Warriors, and Hasha no Tsurugi.

Another no from me. The way I see it, as the previous posts mentioned, FE:H seems like its own FE collaboration thing, and I'd rather see it stay as such. TMS#FE would be the furthest I'll go.

Edited by henrymidfields

10 minutes ago, Roflolxp54 said:

What I don't want to see is non-FE characters joining the roster in FEH; this is Fire Emblem Heroes - not Super Smash Bros. All Stars. And if non-FE SSB characters get to join the roster, then there is absolutely no reason for IS to not include OCs from Cipher, TMS#FE, Warriors, and Hasha no Tsurugi.

Hm... Yeah... TMS#FE would probably be the only game that I wouldn't mind to have characters in FEH.

The problem with Warriors is that the possible candidates to be in FEH are all sword units, and for Cipher... I would like to have them in the game. I liked what I saw about the Cipher characters from Echoes.

Yeah I'm also really against the idea of a collaboration.

Still so many FE characters waiting to be added. Plus only a few Nintendo series wouldn't clash with the style of FE. I would roll my eyes if Mario characters were added.

As far as them dressing up as other Nintendo characters, I don't really like many seasonal banners, and that's not a banner I'd pull on, probably.

Only characters that would aesthetically fit into the Fire Emblem setting. I'd be okay with Link, for example, but not Mario or Kirby. 

Or if Fire Emblem characters were to dress as other Nintendo characters or 3rd party characters, I hope it would be ones that would aesthetically mesh, like Link, Zelda, Joker, or Simon/Richter. But even if they dress as immersion breakers, like Mario, it wouldn't be any worse than the ridiculous bunny costumes, Santa outfits, swimsuits, and wedding dresses that already plague the game.

I'd rather they make a Smash gacha instead.

It's one thing to make collabs in a gacha that isn't based off a franchise (basically full of OCs so there isn't any expectations for certain characters to get in), it's another to make a collab in a gacha that's based off a franchise and plagued by several seasonal banners. Look at the situation right now. We're supposed to have started off with book III, but there is already a bunch of seasonal banners (four before even the third one can begin) and it doesn't help there was so much unnecessary boring fluff before book III that lacked new heroes or had heroes who should've come out in the Muspell banner timeframe.

3 hours ago, Javi Blizz said:

- Maybe not the majority, but many players could see the inmersion sense broken while seeing things like Pikachu and Mario in this game (because let’s be honest, IS would do such a stupid thing instead of only adding TLoZ, Kid Icarius and Xenoblade characters).

Considering how all over the place the art style for characters is in FEH... an axe wielding Pikachu wouldn't really look that off tbh ;):

Heroes is it's own beast anyway since the addition of original characters, so any kind of collab can fit in well if they frame it correctly. 

I think some seasonals about the FE Smashers dressing up as other Smash characters could work. 

Marth could get a Pit archer alt. Pit's toga would reflect Archenea's vague Mediterranean traits and Marth's original outfit that somewhat resembled a toga. 

Roy could of course get a costume based on Roy Koopa with big pink sunglasses and maybe a shell. 

Perhaps Lucina could dress like Samus to reflect her habbit of dressing more ''manly'' and people mistaking both Lucina and Samus for males. Alternatively she could dress like Palutena because it would be the exact opposite of what she normally wears. 

Makes no sense to "collab with Smash" when Smash itself is a collab game~ As others have said, if I want to play with Smash characters, I'll go play Smash, I have no reason to desire Smash characters in FEH when FEH is already missing so many actual characters~

For cosplaying as Nintendo characters, eh, not bad I guess but there's better themes FEH could be doing, TBH~ But if they make it interesting, I wouldn't mind as long as it's not someone lame like Wario~

A game like Smash is too big to crossover with purely because of it's very nature of being a crossover game of several different series. To collaborate with one of the series that make up Smash? Depending on how they do it, sure. If it were to be a thing, I've a few ideas that could mesh with FEH to a degree:

LoZ is the obvious choice for guest characters with Link being an infantry sword, Zelda an infantry blue mage, sheik an infantry dagger unit and Ganon treated as a transforming Laguz GHB.

Followed by Kid Icarus using Pit and Dark Pit as a colored bow, though I'm unsure which, and Palutena to top it off as a staff unit.

As for Kirby, Meta Knight is literally the only possible option and even that's iffy[?]

All that being said, @Etrurian emperor brings a very interesting idea, which might be the only way for Pokemon to work: as mounts for a unit that is, where, say, a Charizard being used as a wyvern, Ho-oh as a Kinshi and.... I dunno who could act as a horse. The first that came to mind was Arcanine but ehhh... Resolute Keldo?

I do not care either way. I am more interested in a unit's stats and skills than how they look.

There are really only four ways to add Heroes into the game: Special Heroes Foci, New Heroes Foci, Starter Packs, or for free (GHBs, TTs, Story Maps, quests, login reward, etc.). As a player, I obviously want them for free, and if not for free, then through a starter pack so I am guaranteed to get them. If they can only be obtained with Orbs, I rather have them in a New Heroes Foci than Special Heroes Foci so I do not feel the pressure to summon them.

Somebody did make this.

Image result for FEH shulk sprite

*pats his head* 

I'll second everyone saying I'd be okay with alts based on non FE characters. Actually having non FE characters could get messy real quick...

Like for this boy, I could see a dismounted Xander or Leo in his outfit and maybe with a Monado replica. I know both of those have a lot of alts already but I really can't think of any others that would work because they'd have to be blond and male. Lucius? Nah that probably won't work...

3 hours ago, Glaceon Mage said:

I wouldn't really mind a collab event.

There will be less new hero banners and in turn even more time between Binding Blade banners. It's a misconception that special hero banners don't impact the number of new hero banners. In time periods where there are a lot of special hero banners, there are less new hero banners such as summer and December. Furthermore, the new special hero summoning event later this month replaces the new hero banner of last year. 

14 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

There will be less new hero banners and in turn even more time between Binding Blade banners. It's a misconception that special hero banners don't impact the number of new hero banners. In time periods where there are a lot of special hero banners, there are less new hero banners such as summer and December. Furthermore, the new special hero summoning event later this month replaces the new hero banner of last year. 

We already know we’re getting a Binding Blade banner in March, and I’d rather a collab than yet more Fates.

While going overboard with collabs would be dumb, one every once in a while shouldn’t be a bad thing, once or maybe twice a year at most.  Hence, I’m not inherently offended by collabs like 90% of the fan base is (see: how downvote brigaded any thread on reddit bringing the matter up, including one that prefaced it with “Say everybody you wanted is in the game in the ever distant future”).

It’s the same with alts really.  As a once in a while thing, alts can be exciting!  SMEirika, for example, is an interesting idea.  It’s when it becomes every banner has an alt that it becomes grating and problems arise.  

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Not now. And if it it must, let's get it over quickly. FEH needs more FE characters, not Smash ones, regardless of the latter's role in popularizing the former. And if it is just FE characters in Smash outfits, then great, more unneeded alts.

1 hour ago, Diovani Bressan said:

The problem with Warriors is that the possible candidates to be in FEH are all sword units, and for Cipher... I would like to have them in the game. I liked what I saw about the Cipher characters from Echoes.

Then don't include the Super Saiyan Lemonheads and Darius. Or if thou must, accompany them by alts of Lissa (Bolt Axe), Elise (Moonlight), and Sakura (Spellbane Yumi). Put the four princesses here on a banner, making Sakura Colorless and Moonlight Blue, for perfect color balance. Call it Peerless (a translation of the Japanese name for the series- Musou) Princesses, and make Rowan a TT reward. Et viola it is done!

And of course, I would wholly approve of TMS and Cipher. And maybe Advance Wars, that dead sister of FE.

1 minute ago, Glaceon Mage said:

We already know we’re getting a Binding Blade banner in March, and I’d rather a collab than yet more Fates.

While going overboard with collabs would be dumb, one every once in a while shouldn’t be a bad thing, once or maybe twice a year at most.  Hence, I’m not inherently offended by collabs like 90% of the fan base is (see: how downvote brigaded any thread on reddit bringing the matter up, including one that prefaced it with “Say everybody you wanted is in the game in the ever distant future”).

It’s the same with alts really.  As a once in a while thing, alts can be exciting!  SMEirika, for example, is an interesting idea.  It’s when it becomes every banner has an alt that problems arise.  

Obviously and hopefully there will be more BB banners after March. Collabs wouldn't necessarily replace more Fates, it'd just delay more Fates but as a consequence it'll delay other new hero banners too. 

I think eventually it'd be a great idea much like alts but IS decided to overload the game with alts so early on in the lifespan. I think SM!Eirika was a terrible idea tbh as she took a spot on a new hero banner, wasn't even canon and IS decided to give her two more alts later in the year. 

3 minutes ago, Icelerate said:

Obviously and hopefully there will be more BB banners after March. Collabs wouldn't necessarily replace more Fates, it'd just delay more Fates but as a consequence it'll delay other new hero banners too. 

I think eventually it'd be a great idea much like alts but IS decided to overload the game with alts so early on in the lifespan. I think SM!Eirika was a terrible idea tbh as she took a spot on a new hero banner, wasn't even canon and IS decided to give her two more alts later in the year. 

It’d be delaying X by two weeks.  If kept in check, that’s not very much time.

Like I said, the issue with silly fun stuff is less it existing, and more IS puts the silly fun stuff into overdrive.  FGO only releases seasonal themed alts for Summer, Halloween, and Christmas, and this works very well.  And of those, the only one that is just alts even in the gacha is Summer, with Halloween and Christmas alts  just being the welfares.

SMEirika being neat is mostly my extremely biased opinion as a huge fan of Eirika and Lyon.  It was mostly something I was using for an example.

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

and Sakura (Spellbane Yumi).

A weapon with the same name as Spellbane Yumi already exists in Heroes, but was localized with a transliteration instead of a translation as "Hama Ya".

52 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

It’d be delaying X by two weeks.  If kept in check, that’s not very much time.

The problem is if it becomes a recurring banner because it compounds on itself every year.

We're already down to only about 15 new character banners each year if they continue to release 2 banners per month, and if whatever the January 22 banner becomes a recurring banner each year, that means only 14 new character banners each year.

And while it's only delaying "X" by 2 weeks, (1) it's delaying all possible values of "X" by at least 2 weeks and (2) if it becomes a recurring banner, that compounds every year, becoming 4 weeks next year, 6 weeks the year after that, and so on. I say "at least" 2 weeks because if a banner ends up pushed to the other side of a seasonal banner, it gets pushed back by 4 weeks (or 6 weeks for the summer and winter seasonal banners).