What are your thoughts about a Smash collaboration?

Javi Blizz

As long Heroes has no added each single FE character in, there is literally no reason to add characters from other series, especially crossovers.

If this should be ever a thing, then only characters from Nintendo whose games have at least a little to do with FE in terms of gameplay (Zelda, Xenoblade...).

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Ice Dragon said:

A weapon with the same name as Spellbane Yumi already exists in Heroes, but was localized with a transliteration instead of a translation as "Hama Ya".

The problem is if it becomes a recurring banner because it compounds on itself every year.

We're already down to only about 15 new character banners each year if they continue to release 2 banners per month, and if whatever the January 22 banner becomes a recurring banner each year, that means only 14 new character banners each year.

And while it's only delaying "X" by 2 weeks, (1) it's delaying all possible values of "X" by at least 2 weeks and (2) if it becomes a recurring banner, that compounds every year, becoming 4 weeks next year, 6 weeks the year after that, and so on. I say "at least" 2 weeks because if a banner ends up pushed to the other side of a seasonal banner, it gets pushed back by 4 weeks (or 6 weeks for the summer and winter seasonal banners).

Relative to 1 year, 2 weeks is 1/24 of the time spent waiting.  Relative to 2 years, 4 weeks is still only 1/24 of the total wait time.  So on so forth.  

That in mind, one collab a year still doesn’t feel like a huge pushback to me.

7 minutes ago, Glaceon Mage said:

Relative to 1 year, 2 weeks is 1/24 of the time spent waiting.  Relative to 2 years, 4 weeks is still only 1/24 of the total wait time.  So on so forth.  

That in mind, one collab a year still doesn’t feel like a huge pushback to me.

I don't know about you, but I perceive time in absolute durations, not in percentages of other arbitrary durations.

If I'm told to wait for 2 more weeks, that's still 2 weeks longer that I have to spend not having what I want.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Then don't include the Super Saiyan Lemonheads and Darius. Or if thou must, accompany them by alts of Lissa (Bolt Axe), Elise (Moonlight), and Sakura (Spellbane Yumi). Put the four princesses here on a banner, making Sakura Colorless and Moonlight Blue, for perfect color balance. Call it Peerless (a translation of the Japanese name for the series- Musou) Princesses, and make Rowan a TT reward. Et viola it is done!

Oh, I forgot about the FE characters using other weapons... Yeah, a Warriors banner could work.

Lissa as Infantry Axe Unit, Elise as a Cavalry Blue Tome unit, Sakura as a Infantry Colorless Bow unit... and maybe Anna as a Infantry Red Bow unit, because I like Anna's design in Warriors.

14 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

I don't know about you, but I perceive time in absolute durations, not in percentages of other arbitrary durations.

If I'm told to wait for 2 more weeks, that's still 2 weeks longer that I have to spend not having what I want.

It’s the same percentage of banners regardless of how much time passes though, if the frequency remains constant.  

I can enjoy silly fun at a reasonable frequency.   1/24 being collabs isn’t much to me, so long as IS doesn’t go crazy with it, I can be patient and wait an extra two weeks every now and then if it’s a collab I dislike, or be excited if it’s a collab I find appealing.

1 minute ago, Glaceon Mage said:

It’s the same percentage of banners regardless of how much time passes though, if the frequency remains constant.  

I can enjoy silly fun at a reasonable frequency.   1/24 being collabs isn’t much to me, so long as IS doesn’t go crazy with it, I can be patient and wait an extra two weeks every now and then if it’s a collab I dislike, or be excited if it’s a collab I find appealing.

1 of 24 being collabs doesn't sound bad until you realize that we're now down to only 14 of 24 banners (58%) being actual new character banners (defined for now as "banners added to the standard summoning pool"). We are 2 banners away from having half of our banners be event banners.

And that's not yet counting the 3 banners last year that were mostly or entirely alt-themed (Fallen Heroes, Arrival of the Brave, Adrift), though I'm also not counting one new character banner in the totals because we had 1 month last year with 3 banners instead of 2.

1 hour ago, Ice Dragon said:

A weapon with the same name as Spellbane Yumi already exists in Heroes, but was localized with a transliteration instead of a translation as "Hama Ya".

Another instance of translation inconsistency. Darned, but I'd imagine picking another one or two characters to tack onto the Spellbane's name in Japan should be feasible. Then the US can forget it is at all the Spellbane/Hama, and just translate the new adjective. 

6 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

1 of 24 being collabs doesn't sound bad until you realize that we're now down to only 14 of 24 banners (58%) being actual new character banners (defined for now as "banners added to the standard summoning pool"). We are 2 banners away from having half of our banners be event banners.

And that's not yet counting the 3 banners last year that were mostly or entirely alt-themed (Fallen Heroes, Arrival of the Brave, Adrift), though I'm also not counting one new character banner in the totals because we had 1 month last year with 3 banners instead of 2.

Wow! Thank you for the statistic! Emphasized for importance.

33% Seasonal is fine to me, but half? Not yet, that is too much IS.

I'm not a fan of the idea. The game it's about Fire Emblem first and foremost. If something like that did occur, I assume it's an attempt to advertising the game to Nintendo fans. Besides we are getting less new characters in the game for the last couple months. I prefer having Say'ri than Mario.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Another instance of translation inconsistency. Darned, but I'd imagine picking another one or two characters to tack onto the Spellbane's name in Japan should be feasible. Then the US can forget it is at all the Spellbane/Hama, and just translate the new adjective. 

The thing is that it's really weird to be prefixing weapons that have names already rendered in kanji. So far, all of the weapons with prefixed names have had a kanji prefix on a katakana name, which looks fine because it's immediately obvious that the prefix is a prefix. But putting a kanji prefix on a kanji name is strange in that you can't actually tell at a glance that it's two separate words anymore, just like how you can't tell in English that the "Giga" in "Giga Excalibur" is not actually a prefix.

4 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Wow! Thank you for the statistic! Emphasized for importance.

33% Seasonal is fine to me, but half? Not yet, that is too much IS.

Last year was at least at a balmy 16 out of 25 banners (64%) being added to the standard summoning pool (counting World of Dawn through New Year's of Fire and Ice).

However, if we assume that we aren't getting another three-banners-in-one-month thing again and that we get the same seasonal banners this year as we did last year plus the new seasonal banner this month, it really will be only 14 out of 24 banners (58%) being added to the standard summoning pool this year.

2 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

We're already down to only about 15 new character banners each year if they continue to release 2 banners per month, and if whatever the January 22 banner becomes a recurring banner each year, that means only 14 new character banners each year.

According to my calculation there are 17 new hero banners. But it's fair enough to remove CYL because they are all alts and Adrift too was mostly alts. 

It’d be delaying X by two weeks.  If kept in check, that’s not very much time.

Like I said, the issue with silly fun stuff is less it existing, and more IS puts the silly fun stuff into overdrive.  FGO only releases seasonal themed alts for Summer, Halloween, and Christmas, and this works very well.  And of those, the only one that is just alts even in the gacha is Summer, with Halloween and Christmas alts  just being the welfares.

SMEirika being neat is mostly my extremely biased opinion as a huge fan of Eirika and Lyon.  It was mostly something I was using for an example.

I think when IS goes in, they go all in so I doubt there will be many checks and balances. They went all in on OCs and Fates because of their popularity but ended up burning out a lot of people. 

We get a lot more seasonal alts in comparison considering how we get Valentines, Spring, Brides, two summer banners, one Halloween, one Dancer banner, one Winter and one New Years. If crossovers were to replace one of these seasonals, that would be nice but I think IS prioritizes seasonal banners over new hero banners. 

I mean sure but then the same can be applied to Adrift if you're an Azura, Corrin and/or Camilla fan and then it can be argued why not the other popular characters get an alternate reality alt instead of giving special treatment to a few, opening a new can of worms. We already have 9 seasonals and a couple of alternate reality banners so then shoehorning random alts in canon banners is disappointing. This RD banner is arguably the best banner I've seen because it has four new heroes with zero alts and a compelling GHB. Much better than last year's Micaiah banner for sure which gave us two new heroes, one alt and a meme GHB.  

Hopefully BB also gets four new heroes and a neat GHB. 

1 minute ago, Icelerate said:

According to my calculation there are 17 new hero banners. But it's fair enough to remove CYL because they are all alts and Adrift too was mostly alts. 

Beginning with the assumption that there are 2 banners every month (i.e. that Generals of Muspell was an exceptional case) and that all seasonal themes will return each year, there is currently a total of 10 known event banners this year:

1. The new event banner starting next week
  2. Valentine's
  3. Easter
  4. June Brides
  5. Summer 1
  6. Summer 2
  7. Performing Arts
  8. Halloween
  9. Christmas
  10. New Year's

With 24 banners total, that leaves only 14 banners being added to the standard summoning pool this year.

a collab with smash will give feh more longevity due to smashs popularity and thus attracting new players. I would like to see chars like Link Zelda Ganondorf Shiek Shulk (chars that fir Fehs ambient) added to the game.

We have gotten most of the major chars from each fire emblem game. Every new FE char coming now are basicly left overs. so yeah i would welcome a smash collab or a Final fantasy collab etc.

If Heroes were to have collab banners with other series, I'd rather a collab banner for something like Zelda or Octopath Traveler instead of Smash Bros. Mind you, I'd rather see new Fire Emblem characters added first before a collab banner, but that's just my two cents.

• Totally fine: Accessories and other content that don't interfere with normal FE characters getting into the game
  • Less fine but at least interesting: Xander riding a Yoshi or something (also good is Ryoma on a Zinogre)
  • Downright disappointing: Bowser Jr getting into FEH before most actual FE characters

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Darius

Side note: It's Darios. An O not a U. Have not played FEW but this is on the main site. I only nitpick because Darius is my Dunban fankid.

To add to the topic at hand:

Roy with Roy Koopa glasses would be awesome.

I like the ideas of pokemon and yoshi mounts, and Ganon as a beast unit.

I agree that actual FE characters should be given priority.

Random stupid idea, Xenoblade 1 spoilers:

Spoiler

A Reyson alt that transforms into a flying snake thing instead of a heron to reference Kallian.

We already have a collaboration in Echoes, don't forget Tatiana  Palutena.

It really depends on what characters they choose. I would be happy with Palutena. But other might be not. I guess smash attire would be a good way around. But I won't be happy about Yoshi's egg as a tome or Piranha plant as a characters. D=.

I would laugh though if Piranha plant happen, because it would mean that the plant did it again. Piranha plant goes everywhere. 

Edited by Stroud

38 minutes ago, Stroud said:

I would laugh though if Piranha plant happen, because it would mean that the plant did it again. Piranha plant goes everywhere. 

Nah, if we get a Smash crossover, then this is gonna be the game where Waluigi gets to fight Marth.

I'd be happy with IntSys taking ideas from Smash for a certain future alt (Legendary Roy), and it'd be weird but neat to see a not-quite-crossover banner featuring stuff like Ilyana-in-a-Kirby-costume, Mario!Marth-as-a-Red-Tome-unit-with-Fire-Flower, Fox!Cordelia-flying-an-Arwing, Samus!Sophia-as-an-Armor-Mage and TT Reward Hinoka-riding-a-Pirahna-Plant.

Not sure I wanna see non-FE characters getting into Heroes, but if it did happen I wouldn't complain.

Edited by ILikeKirbys

I'm not worried about a Smash Bros banner ever happening to be honest.

Flashback to about 3 or 4 days before Smash Bros Ultimate is available to the general public, and the only acknowledgement FEH gives to such is an image on Twitter featuring everyone who will be in Smash Bros as physical models, but with their FEH sprites, plus Feh herself getting smashed on Castle Siege. Look over to Splatoon 2, and they have a Smash Bros themed Heroes vs Villains Splatfest.

Point being, I don't think Smash Bros is quite "big" enough to warrant crossovers with. Big, certainly. I mean, I freaking love Ultimate and have many hopes for DLC, but I don't think a Smash Bros banner is even possible.

Now, that's not the same as saying a Smash Bros EVENT. Because when FE: Warriors was still new and making content, we got themed maps to go along with them, but no new character banners. So maybe accessories featuring, because we're still playing a Nintendo game, Mario's cap (Cappy?) or similar, or perhaps even Event maps down the line with special quests. Heck, even a Banner featuring the playable characters (Marth, Roy, Ike, Robin, Lucina, Corrin, and Chrom) that didn't mesh too badly with other banners could be considered fine, or just a Tap Battle with the bosses being the characters in Smash. But a BANNER? Nah, seems a little much when very little content from FE was added to Smash Ult (Chrom, Tiki, Black Knight, some new music, and the Killing Edge were it, besides numerous spirits...)

...though what worries me is that we ARE getting a Smash Bros banner, but it's the expected wait for everything in development to fall into place, because we do know it takes a few months for a new character banner to come to fruition, and there's a chance they couldn't make the banner in time for the launch of Smash Bros. It is worth not forgetting, Fire Emblem Heroes is actually recognized in Smash Bros in the form of two pieces of music.

7 hours ago, Ice Dragon said:

The thing is that it's really weird to be prefixing weapons that have names already rendered in kanji. So far, all of the weapons with prefixed names have had a kanji prefix on a katakana name, which looks fine because it's immediately obvious that the prefix is a prefix. But putting a kanji prefix on a kanji name is strange in that you can't actually tell at a glance that it's two separate words anymore, just like how you can't tell in English that the "Giga" in "Giga Excalibur" is not actually a prefix.

Interesting. So does this mean weapons are usually katakana in FE? That would make sense, since katakana I'm aware is largely used for foreign words, Mystletainn in kana I could see being weird. So are only weapons that are natively Japanese in kanji or kana- like Fujin Yumi and Rajinto? (And Giga Excalibur does sound weird.)

41 minutes ago, ILikeKirbys said:

I'd be happy with IntSys taking ideas from Smash for a certain future alt (Legendary Roy), and it'd be weird but neat to see a not-quite-crossover banner featuring stuff like Ilyana-in-a-Kirby-costume, Mario!Marth-as-a-Red-Tome-unit-with-Fire-Flower, Fox!Cordelia-flying-an-Arwing, Samus!Sophia-as-an-Armor-Mage and TT Reward Hinoka-riding-a-Pirahna-Plant.

No Black Knight Mr. Game & Watch? No Flora & Felicia/Kana & Kana/Morgan & Morgan Ice Climbers? No Lucina Chrom and Chrom Lucina? 

26 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

No Black Knight Mr. Game & Watch? No Flora & Felicia/Kana & Kana/Morgan & Morgan Ice Climbers? No Lucina Chrom and Chrom Lucina? 

I only chose five pseudo-crossover units (seemed like the absolute maximum for a seasonal banner, given Love Abounds had that many), so I figured it would be best to go with recognizable characters from the original cast (Mario shouldn't require introduction, Fox because Melee, Kirby is a bias pick plus I figured Ilyana-as-Kirby would work for her, and Samus is admittedly also a bias pick but an alt based on her would certainly stand out from everyone else in FEH) and then Pirahna Plant as an unexpected free unit (and one unit from each game with a rep in Smash, tried to avoid just using the characters already in Smash but I figured Marth-as-Mario would be an acceptable exception). But yeah, Flora & Felicia Ice Climbers would be amazing (I'm already picturing them having some sort of Prf B Skill that gives them the Brave effect when they initiate with HP > 80% or something, as well as Axes, Iceberg, ATK/RES Bond 3 and DEF Ploy 3). Game & Watch Knight would be weird-looking if they kept the limited animation but could be neat. Lucina!Chrom & Chrom!Lucina could work, though I'm not sure how they'd be differentiated from their regular selves, or from who they're cosplaying.

But the main thing I want IntSys to bring over from Smash is an adaptation of Smash!Roy's Binding Blade for Legendary Roy, since they already covered canon!Binding Blade on regular Roy so adapting center-of-blade-does-big-damage as a buff when in combat at melee range would probably be a good effect for his Legendary version.

Edited by ILikeKirbys

I love crossover stuff so I'd like to see a collab of some sort, but I'm not sure if it should be actual characters from other games. I'm not against it, but considering how many people call for IntSys' head every time they do something out of their comfort zone, it might be wise to walk carefully into this territory.

I think if they do a collab, they should start with FE characters dressed as other Nintendo characters, which would be no different than other seasonal banners. I think it would be a pretty fun banner and I'm not just saying that because I want Zelda!Micaiah. To name a concrete example, Puyo Puyo Quest has done this several times and it's pretty cool to look at:

rx3hsBA.png

From a selfish perspective, I could say I don't really care one way or the other. There are already plenty of characters from each FE game already that if no new FE characters were to be added for the remaining lifetime of the game, it wouldn't really bother me.

However, if I put myself in other people's shoes, people who may have a favourite character, then it's easy to see how crossover banners that'd inevitably take the place of new unit banners would suck.

Maybe a compromise would be simply adding the occasional crossover unit as a free unit on the day that game launches, independent of everything (i.e. it doesn't take the place of any existing event). On the day a new Zelda game launches, we get a free Link. On the day a new Bayonetta game launches, we get a free Bayonetta. On the day a new Football Manager game launches, we get a free ...Football Manager. This fulfils the promotional aspect of the crossovers without impacting people who don't care about them.

P.S. I'm past the point about caring about verisimilitude in FEH, but I suppose there could be an option for people who hate the mere idea of fighting against the crossover characters to automatically replace the sprites with generic Emblian soldiers if you encounter them in Arena or whatever.

EDIT: Slipped my mind that this thread is about Smash specifically and not the general idea of crossovers. Well, given that there's no real headline unit in Smash, the only fair thing would be a CYL Smash vote to determine who we get.

Edited by Humanoid

1 hour ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Interesting. So does this mean weapons are usually katakana in FE? That would make sense, since katakana I'm aware is largely used for foreign words, Mystletainn in kana I could see being weird. So are only weapons that are natively Japanese in kanji or kana- like Fujin Yumi and Rajinto? (And Giga Excalibur does sound weird.)

Weapons that are not natively Japanese (e.g. Raijinto) or sufficiently generic (e.g. Silver Lance) have their names rendered in katakana because they are derived from foreign words. Just like in English, some kinds of foreign words, particularly proper nouns, lose their special meaning when translated instead of transliterated. For example, "Laevatein" literally translates from Old Norse as "damage stick", but it makes sense when referring to the mythological weapon to call it by its transliterated name, "Laevatein", instead of a translated name like "Damage Stick" (as awesome as it would be to have a weapon named "Damage Stick").

Therefore, in weapon names in Heroes, the only things with names rendered in kanji are weapons with natively Japanese names because their names are Japanese to begin with, the modifier prefixes because the prefixes are just standard everyday adjectives or nouns, and generic weapons (and generic parts of weapon names, like the "'s Lance" part of "Berkut's Lance") which are also standard everyday words.

Giga Excalibur is what it is due to the fact that the original localization team for Blazing Sword localized the weapon Gigascalibur as "Excalibur", which now obviously conflicts with the several different weapons actually named "Excalibur" in Japanese (the tome from Akaneia, the black magic from Valentia, and the Sacred Twin from Jehanna). The localization team for Heroes dealing with the fact that there is already a weapon named "Excalibur" in the game decided to re-localize the name as "Giga Excalibur", which makes it seem like a prefixed version of Excalibur when it's actually an entirely different weapon.