Project Z (Dragon Ball Action RPG) announced.

Jedi

We’ll be getting more details later in the month. Dragon Ball is no stranger to RPGs but I wonder. What direction this one intends to go in.

The old card based RPGs?

Action RPGs like Xenoverse technically is?

RPG like Battle of Z?

Its action so it won’t be like Attack of the Saiyans (as good as that was)

We’ve had Brawler like RPGs too like Advanced Adventure and GT Transformation.

Zelda like RPGs with the LoG trilogy

Maybe it’s something new, who knows.

Edited by Jedi

13 minutes ago, Etheus said:

When I hear "action RPG" I think of a Diablo-like dungeon crawler, because these have traditionally been called ARPGs. That's what I'm hoping for. 

In all my Diablo experience (Lots with 1, 2 and one run of 3) i've heard them refered to as hack n slashes or dungeon crawlers, genres are so vague especially today. It's hard to say what this will be because Action RPG is as broad as one can get almost.

As mentioned even the Xenoverse games are thought of as Action RPG's which is why I believe some think this is just Xenoverse 3, but I personally disagree. Because it's not just stated flat out to be Xenoverse 3 (and plus Xenoverse 2 still has regularly updating content), but what do I know haha.

Edited by Jedi

9 hours ago, Etheus said:

When I hear "action RPG" I think of a Diablo-like dungeon crawler, because these have traditionally been called ARPGs. That's what I'm hoping for. 

Really? I can only ever recall "action RPG" referring to Diablo back in the 90s, when Diablo kind of was the only big ARPG.

Since then, though? I see it being used to describe games more like The Witcher and Dark Souls. Even Assassin's Creed and God of War can be considered "Action RPGs" with their newer entries. Basically any game that focuses on melee combat that also has heavy RPG elements is an "Action RPG" these days. I think even some shooters can be classified as this, like Mass Effect.

I don't think I've even seen people refer to top-down games like Diablo, Torchlight and Path of Exile as Action RPGs these days. Like @Jedi said, I see these referred to as dungeon crawlers or something arbitrary like "loot RPG" games.

Anyway, my immediate reaction to a "Dragon Ball ARPG" is Xenoverse. I'm guessing this will be a tweak to that formula.

1 hour ago, Slumber said:

Really? I can only ever recall "action RPG" referring to Diablo back in the 90s, when Diablo kind of was the only big ARPG.

Since then, though? I see it being used to describe games more like The Witcher and Dark Souls. Even Assassin's Creed and God of War can be considered "Action RPGs" with their newer entries. Basically any game that focuses on melee combat that also has heavy RPG elements is an "Action RPG" these days. I think even some shooters can be classified as this, like Mass Effect.

I don't think I've even seen people refer to top-down games like Diablo, Torchlight and Path of Exile as Action RPGs these days. Like @Jedi said, I see these referred to as dungeon crawlers or something arbitrary like "loot RPG" games.

Anyway, my immediate reaction to a "Dragon Ball ARPG" is Xenoverse. I'm guessing this will be a tweak to that formula.

I do wonder if they’ll be trying a weird like more RPG variant of it, I know it’ll never happen but I’m still waiting for a game to start at the beginning of Dragon Ball and go all through the rest that is around at the time.

Closest we have to this is a PC-Engine game that the West never got, but it’s more a collection of Goku’s most iconic big fights. Which in this games mind was Mercenary Tao, Tien/Tenshinhan, King Piccolo, Piccolo Jr, Vegeta, Frieza and Cell

The framing is that Gohan and others are telling Goten about his dad.

I don't think the card games really fit into the action RPG category, and I'm less inclined to believe LoG also does.

If anything, I expect a game that plays like Xenoverse, but focused more around RPG elements than fighting game elements.

Just don't make anything like Z Sagas, please

8 hours ago, Rapier said:

I don't think the card games really fit into the action RPG category, and I'm less inclined to believe LoG also does.

If anything, I expect a game that plays like Xenoverse, but focused more around RPG elements than fighting game elements.

Just don't make anything like Z Sagas, please

So you're thinking maybe it'll be more like Battle of Z again?

Edited by Jedi

You know, I wouldn't be opposed to it being focused around the Saiyans - Frieza arc, or for highlighting these parts. I can never have enough of Goku vs Vegeta and Kaioken being an Ultra Instinct before Ultra Instinct existed.

1 minute ago, Rapier said:

You know, I wouldn't be opposed to it being focused around the Saiyans - Frieza arc, or for highlighting these parts. I can never have enough of Goku vs Vegeta and Kaioken being an Ultra Instinct before Ultra Instinct existed.

I kinda hope it's like the older RPGs in the respects that everyone gets to travel around and fight mooks haha.

Well, for now it's promising that they are going to focus on one Arc. Well, two arcs, but you get what I mean. Can't tell much of a story if you try to squeeze every single arc into one game. And of course everything that is not another fighting game has my attention.

On 1/27/2019 at 7:47 PM, BrightBow said:

Well, for now it's promising that they are going to focus on one Arc. Well, two arcs, but you get what I mean. Can't tell much of a story if you try to squeeze every single arc into one game. And of course everything that is not another fighting game has my attention.

Attack of the Saiyans showed what can be done to expand an arc so I hope they do that with this RPG too.

Give everyone more to do, although this might just be a Goku only deal, ala the original Legacy of Goku.

This game is giving me weird Legacy of Goku (one) + Z Sagas vibes, where you explore places, fight mooks along the way, upgrade your skills, complete quests and deal with the bosses in the end of the route. If I'm right, I just hope the gameplay isn't slowed down to a crawl, like in the latter. LoG 2 is by far my favorite DBZ game, and I've been wishing *someone* went back to it, saw how good it was and tried to bring a similar game to life.

On 1/31/2019 at 5:28 AM, Rapier said:

This game is giving me weird Legacy of Goku (one) + Z Sagas vibes, where you explore places, fight mooks along the way, upgrade your skills, complete quests and deal with the bosses in the end of the route. If I'm right, I just hope the gameplay isn't slowed down to a crawl, like in the latter. LoG 2 is by far my favorite DBZ game, and I've been wishing *someone* went back to it, saw how good it was and tried to bring a similar game to life.

I just hope it isn't Goku only deal, it wouldn't be a deal breaker, but i'd be not quite as excited for it. 

On 1/31/2019 at 6:28 AM, Rapier said:

This game is giving me weird Legacy of Goku (one) + Z Sagas vibes, where you explore places, fight mooks along the way, upgrade your skills, complete quests and deal with the bosses in the end of the route. If I'm right, I just hope the gameplay isn't slowed down to a crawl, like in the latter.

Legacy of Goku 1 can also become a slog if you get stuck on any of the boss battles.  Like the Frieza one.  They are good RPGs (they also introduced one of my favorite minor characters, The Vinny), but they can get pretty grindy.  Not the grindiest of Japanese-developed RPGs, but pretty grindy nonetheless.

Though it is funny, since the first Legacy of Goku did only go as far as the Frieza Saga.  In any case, I don't think they're gonna make it like Sagas because that's kind of more of... like, a co-op beat 'em up than it is an RPG.

1 minute ago, Ertrick36 said:

Legacy of Goku 1 can also become a slog if you get stuck on any of the boss battles.  Like the Frieza one.  They are good RPGs (they also introduced one of my favorite minor characters, The Vinny), but they can get pretty grindy.  Not the grindiest of Japanese-developed RPGs, but pretty grindy nonetheless.

Though it is funny, since the first Legacy of Goku did only go as far as the Frieza Saga.  In any case, I don't think they're gonna make it like Sagas because that's kind of more of... like, a co-op beat 'em up than it is an RPG.

The Legacy Of Goku trilogy was American made actually.

(and the first one is awful and shouldn’t be played).

Edited by IS Bath Salts HQ

Pre-orders for a game we barely know anything about? Okay, I guess.

On 03/02/2019 at 5:18 PM, Ertrick36 said:

LoG1 is awful and really a slog. LoG2 has parts where you have to grind and solve puzzles, but they're not really that proeminent, I think. After getting past the Hercule part in the beginning, it's smooth sailing. My dream game would probably be a LoG2 with story/scenarios from Attack of the Saiyans.

Sagas was more like a beat 'em up, yes, but it had a system where your character got stronger and upgraded their skills. Still not a RPG, but it did have some RPG elements.