Coolest animals (in your opinion)?

Byliyth

On 2/27/2019 at 1:46 PM, Blattodea said:

Might as well let my first post live up to my name lmfao.

Alright guys, hear me out. Cockroaches. Arguably the most misunderstood animal on Earth.

There are approximately 4,500 species of cockroaches living on the planet. 30 of which (0.667%) are associated with human biomes. Only five of those— a whopping 0.1% of all roach species— are considered to be widespread pests. Despite their penchant for transporting things like bacteria and mold (usually things they pick up from other humans and their delicious, delicious garbage), they are actually meticulous groomers, particularly when it comes to their antennae. They spend a lot of time cleaning them, almost like a cat.

They usually live in large families of two or three generations, and they can tell each individual family member apart. They're capable of classical conditioning, something previously only reported in dogs and humans, and may even have their own personalities.

Behavior aside (something that, in my opinion, could use a lot more research, just like bee behavior), plenty of roaches themselves just look rad. They're radroaches, if you will. I'm avoiding directly posting images since I know plenty of people are entomophobic, but here are some particularly interesting-looking roaches!

P. mitchelli — Mardi Gras Cockroach

C. magnificaEmerald Roach

B. craniifer — Death's Head Roach

T. petiverianaDomino Cockroach

And of course, my personal favorite, the infamous G. portentosa: The Madagascar Hissing Cockroach, or 'hisser' for short. I'm rather biased, as I've been keeping a terrarium of them for a few years now, but goodness they're so much fun. They're docile, easy to handle, and they'll eat your leftovers. Many colonies also live symbiotically with a species of mite that cannot survive without the roaches: these mites are wonderfully beneficial, as they eat any mold that begins to grow on their hosts, making them MUCH easier on any roachkeepers with allergies.

That's all I've got off the top of my head, but hopefully at least one person will find themselves with a newfound appreciation for these neat buggos.

On 2/27/2019 at 7:21 PM, Jotari said:

Plus they can survive nukes. Any animal metal enough to survive a nuke is undeniably cool.

I heard they can also survive for 10 days without their head.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/17/2019 at 10:11 PM, Dragoncat said:

Geez, poor pufferfish! At least humans will kill the cannabis plant before they use it to get high...

Image result for dolphin pufferfish

The Face you make when u being used as a living bong hit:
2w4ry4.jpg

Edited by Shoblongoo

3 hours ago, Shoblongoo said:

Image result for dolphin pufferfish

The Face you make when u being used as a living bong hit:
2w4ry4.jpg

Lol I actually saw this floating around facebook. That is a "oh god please no" face if I ever saw one.