General Tabletop (D&D, Pathfinder, etc.) Topic

Azure the Scale Tipper

I suppose I can give you an appetizer on what some of my fellow players are like. This is the same player who is currently playing the Paladin Orc (or half-orc?) That has the sicko mode.

So, this one time, he played a Dwarf Fighter. He had a high Athletics mod, and I mean, like, 25 or something. He tries to jump using that athletics check. He rolled so well he jumped 150 feet in the air. Another time, he was getting dog-piled by some enemies, and he rolled well enough to make that sort of insane jump. With his masterful athletics, he literally piledrives one of the enemies into the ceiling.

I’m pretty sure he said both of those were nat 20s.

He will forever be known as the Rocket Dwarf.

Side note, my physics teacher has started a D&D club on Google Classroom. I am pretty sure I was the first to join.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 hours ago, Bhoop said:

Yeah, of course, go for it. 

Yes!  I get to make a little lizard blep ranger or a bipedal kitten to destroy dragons with!

18 hours ago, Bhoop said:

Feel free to use deities from the Player's Handbook on page 294- 296 (Some may overlap, but don't worry, I have lore and explanation for those).

Oh lord, that's a metric f*** ton of gods.  Is it okay to curse for these sessions?

1 hour ago, Silafante said:

I have never used use Discord or Roll20 before (beyond a couple of messages of the former).

So if someone can direct me to where I can learn the ropes I would appreciate it.

I think it'd be best if we helped you figure them out during the session, because I strongly doubt there are many tutorials out there.

They shouldn't be all that complicated.  I mean, Discord might be a pain to work with if you're doing voice chat, but Roll20 will mostly just be used for rolling numbers and maybe moving character pieces along a map.

1 hour ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

He had a high Athletics mod, and I mean, like, 25 or something.

How in the absolute hell is that possible?

He tries to jump using that athletics check. He rolled so well he jumped 150 feet in the air. Another time, he was getting dog-piled by some enemies, and he rolled well enough to make that sort of insane jump. With his masterful athletics, he literally piledrives one of the enemies into the ceiling.

I’m pretty sure he said both of those were nat 20s.

He will forever be known as the Rocket Dwarf.

That reminds me of one campaign I saw.

Fella by the name of Revscarecrow (member of the Vinesauce streamer team) played a campaign with his fellow streamers (they used Pathfinder).  He made a barbarian named Randus who was primarily a grappler (basically an off-shoot of Randy Savage the wrestler).  Literally the first roll for him (which was rolled by the DM; it was for his reputation) was a nat 20, so he had kids clamoring at his heels and people in the streets cheering him on as he went to the local fighting pit.  His first fight, he absolutely wrecked the hell out of his opponent, rolling constant max dice rolls.  And in the last fight, he elbow-dropped the main villain from 25 feet high atop a massive aluum (basically golem-like creatures) to the backdrop of Pomp and Circumstance, absolutely destroying his chest cavity.

Randus truly lived up to his title as the Elbow-drop King.

4 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Fella by the name of Revscarecrow (member of the Vinesauce streamer team) played a campaign with his fellow streamers (they used Pathfinder).  He made a barbarian named Randus who was primarily a grappler (basically an off-shoot of Randy Savage the wrestler).  Literally the first roll for him (which was rolled by the DM; it was for his reputation) was a nat 20, so he had kids clamoring at his heels and people in the streets cheering him on as he went to the local fighting pit.  His first fight, he absolutely wrecked the hell out of his opponent, rolling constant max dice rolls.  And in the last fight, he elbow-dropped the main villain from 25 feet high atop a massive aluum (basically golem-like creatures) to the backdrop of Pomp and Circumstance, absolutely destroying his chest cavity.

Randus truly lived up to his title as the Elbow-drop King.

Evilmania is like a single grain of sand in the desert that is Randus Madnus.

Edited by Azure in a Roundabout

Evilmania is like a single grain of sand in the desert that is Randus Madnus.

That works even better because it was a desert setting.

Also, upon finishing up some details on my character sheet, I came to the startling realization that I hate inventory management.  Who would've thought that I - a guy that regularly uses cheats in Bethesda games to increase carrying capacity to 1000+ pounds - would disdain having to figure out how to work out my purchases in a way that my character wouldn't be encumbered by too much gear?

Okay guys, the first campaign I joined is wrapping up now (it was rather late, so I had bad timing). I’ll give the story of what my Rogue Lander Yeety did next week, but to sum up, he was basically the Renault of the campaign. As in, he did almost jack during it. Unlike Renault, though, he has actually backstory to him, unlike many others. The only other one in the party with as much, if not more, story when I was present was the Wizard Lube (Yeah, I said she was a Sorcerer, but I was wrong). She kind of became the main character, but this was our DM’s first time. It will not always be like “every member of the party is the main character” first time around.

I’ll give the story of what my Rogue Lander Yeety did next week, but to sum up, he was basically the Renault of the campaign. As in, he did almost jack during it. Unlike Renault, though, he has actually backstory to him, unlike many others.

First of all, that's an amazing goddamn name.  You yeeted your way into the party.

Spoiler
  1. Isn't it hinted at that Renault is one of the morphs or otherwise has a connection to the morphs and Nergal?
  2. I suppose what he does or doesn't do depends from player to player.  Although I also imagine most would drop him as soon as they see the guy that literally joins you in the next chapter.

The only other one in the party with as much, if not more, story when I was present was the Wizard Lube (Yeah, I said she was a Sorcerer, but I was wrong). She kind of became the main character, but this was our DM’s first time. It will not always be like “every member of the party is the main character” first time around.

Your buddies were just taking the piss out of things with these characters, weren't they?

That happening or not really depends on the DM and the party.

Of course, I think you were caught flat-footed due to a late join.

But I will say that usually a good, experienced DM will try to involve everyone as much as they can.  Though whether some get more focus really depends upon all the characters' backstories and the players themselves.  It can be hard to make a character with no real cause or reason to fight into a central character, so characters whose only backstories are pretty much just that they came of age and wanted to take up adventuring aren't gonna typically be very important/involved.  However, what's more important is the players themselves and how sociable they are.  Even the most flat-footed character storywise can become the heart of the party if they're always chatting.  In the same campaign with Randus, that character only became so memorable and almost even central because of how the player played him compared to the others (one of whom was simply more quiet, and the other two would mostly be doing things within their own social sphere).

So it really just depends.  Since this will be a new campaign, we at least will be starting on pretty much the same leg.

So I have a small moment of respite....

In terms of cursing, I don't really mind, as long as its not done every three words. 

In terms of the length of the Campaign, do you guys want it to be a long term thing, or a short term thing (that's probably about a month or so of time, aka a session a week)

For the Campaign (again) Politics, Combat, Tactics, etc? What are your guys's preference? I know you guys want interesting NPCs , and I plan on incorporating a bunch of Fire Emblem jokes/memes, but NPCs aside, what would you guys like?

1 hour ago, Bhoop said:

In terms of cursing, I don't really mind, as long as its not done every three words. I do not do that much, so we’re good.

In terms of the length of the Campaign, do you guys want it to be a long term thing, or a short term thing (that's probably about a month or so of time, aka a session a week) I’d like it to be long-term, though maybe 2-3 months at most.

For the Campaign (again) Politics, Combat, Tactics, etc? What are your guys's preference? I know you guys want interesting NPCs , and I plan on incorporating a bunch of Fire Emblem jokes/memes, but NPCs aside, what would you guys like? I’ll take all three of politics, combat, and maybe a little bit of tactics. I’d like it to be semi-serious at the lowest.

Responses in bold.

2 hours ago, Bhoop said:

In terms of cursing, I don't really mind, as long as its not done every three words. 

In terms of the length of the Campaign, do you guys want it to be a long term thing, or a short term thing (that's probably about a month or so of time, aka a session a week)

For the Campaign (again) Politics, Combat, Tactics, etc? What are your guys's preference? I know you guys want interesting NPCs , and I plan on incorporating a bunch of Fire Emblem jokes/memes, but NPCs aside, what would you guys like?

- I said that as a semi-joke, but I'll take that as basically that I should conduct myself the same way I do here.

- I say we just go for a bit and see where we feel after a month.  Prepare for 2-3 months of campaign just in case.  I would like to at least gain a couple of levels before we wrapped it up.

- I think I wouldn't mind some degree of political intrigue.  I feel like my character's gonna be some philanthropist rogue type of character (who is 18 points of intellectual, because my rolls were stupid good for no reason), so they'll certainly have some opinions.  I'd prefer if we maybe had some shorter combat segments because otherwise they seem to take up entire sessions; don't have preference for the types of enemies we fight, but maybe keep the enemies that would impose frequent athletics checks and strength saving throws to a minimum with this party (throw them in occasionally, but don't bombard us with them).  Otherwise, I prefer to be surprised.  The only element of this story I really want to control is my own character and their backstory.  I guess I'd like the main villains to be those with enough sentience and awareness to give a reason for doing the dastardly things they're doing; it's so much more satisfying defeating an enemy that actually has a plan to foil and motive to crush.

Jokes and memes are my bread and butter, so I'm pleased to hear they will be surfacing in this campaign.  If there's a man named Dorcas in this campaign and he gives me any reason to kill him, I'm getting a vial of poison and a slab of mutton with his name on it.

20 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

Jokes and memes are my bread and butter, so I'm pleased to hear they will be surfacing in this campaign.  If there's a man named Dorcas in this campaign and he gives me any reason to kill him, I'm getting a vial of poison and a slab of mutton with his name on it.

This makes making NPCs so much easier (just a bit, I'm not gonna rip the entire character off....)

Edited by Bhoop

10 hours ago, Ertrick36 said:

If there's a man named Dorcas in this campaign and he gives me any reason to kill him, I'm getting a vial of poison and a slab of mutton with his name on it.

But he is a married man. You ba***rd, how could how... I trusted you...

As long as it isn't all combat all the time I am totally fine with whatever happens @Bhoop, you are the one who shapes the world.

About the jokes, by all means (I only played from Binding Blade to Echoes, but I only played the Tellius games once each so I maybe don't get the jokes).

Edited by Silafante

36 minutes ago, Silafante said:

But he is a married man. You ba***rd, how could how... I trusted you...

giphy.gif

Build your armies and trust no one, my friend :Kappa:

11 hours ago, Bhoop said:

This makes making NPCs so much easier (just a bit, I'm not gonna rip the entire character off....)

Of course.  I would like some originality, I don't really want to just be plopped into a world with FE characters.

40 minutes ago, Silafante said:

As long as it isn't all combat all the time I am totally fine with whatever happens, you are the one who shapes the world.

About the jokes, by all means (I only played from Binding Blade to Echoes, but I only played the Tellius games once each so I maybe don't get it).

- Yeah, basically that.  I know there are people who just love doing nothing but combat, and I do think it'd be fun to see how I would fair in battles, but I would just like to make it abundantly clear that I - along with the other players (I'd imagine, don't know about Roxas, but everyone else seems keen on this) - would like some variety in the things we do.  Little bit of fluff, little bit of puzzle/mystery solving, little bit of combat, little bit of more serious social interactions, and a little bit of dungeon crawling.

- I've technically played every game, but only ever completed Genealogy, Shadow Dragon, New Mystery, and all the 3DS games.  I've gotten a good chunk of the way through the GBA games (up to chapter 14 for Binding Blade, 11 in Eirikas route in Sacred Stones, and 19 in Eliwood Mode in Blazing Sword), and a decent ways through Path of Radiance (up to 13) and the older NES/SNES titles, but aside from that, haven't quite gotten around to beating all of them.  Though I'm bored with everything else I've been playing and am feeling a surge to at least play through Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones some more.

Actually, I almost would've thought you had at least played Genealogy due to your profile pic, since Leif's a fairly major character in the Jugdral games (and is particularly broken in Genealogy once he promotes).  I highly recommend the Jugdral games, as the story and characters are quite good.  The gameplay in Genealogy might leave something to be desired, but I still thought it was a good game.

I have only played 7, 8, 13, 14, 15, Warriors, and Heroes.

I have beaten 13-15 at least once (never on any difficulty past Normal), and that’s it. I may be able to get some more jokes, though.

Just don’t pull a Wyrmslayer against my Dragonborn, please.

30 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

giphy.gif

Build your armies and trust no one, my friend :Kappa:

Of course.  I would like some originality, I don't really want to just be plopped into a world with FE characters.

- Yeah, basically that.  I know there are people who just love doing nothing but combat, and I do think it'd be fun to see how I would fair in battles, but I would just like to make it abundantly clear that I - along with the other players (I'd imagine, don't know about Roxas, but everyone else seems keen on this) - would like some variety in the things we do.  Little bit of fluff, little bit of puzzle/mystery solving, little bit of combat, little bit of more serious social interactions, and a little bit of dungeon crawling.

- I've technically played every game, but only ever completed Genealogy, Shadow Dragon, New Mystery, and all the 3DS games.  I've gotten a good chunk of the way through the GBA games (up to chapter 14 for Binding Blade, 11 in Eirikas route in Sacred Stones, and 19 in Eliwood Mode in Blazing Sword), and a decent ways through Path of Radiance (up to 13) and the older NES/SNES titles, but aside from that, haven't quite gotten around to beating all of them.  Though I'm bored with everything else I've been playing and am feeling a surge to at least play through Blazing Sword and Sacred Stones some more.

Actually, I almost would've thought you had at least played Genealogy due to your profile pic, since Leif's a fairly major character in the Jugdral games (and is particularly broken in Genealogy once he promotes).  I highly recommend the Jugdral games, as the story and characters are quite good.  The gameplay in Genealogy might leave something to be desired, but I still thought it was a good game.

I can't patch worth crap so I played both Jugdral games in Japanese so the details are kinda lost on me (I am still angry for the end of chapter 5 you imperial twats).

Ps: I like Leif because I overleveled him and got lucky and managed to beat the crap of everyone. But if becomes broken in Geneology that explains it

Edited by Silafante

20 minutes ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Just don’t pull a Wyrmslayer against my Dragonborn, please.

I would imagine that unless you set something up with the DM, he wouldn't pull that kind of crap on you until late game.  Because a dragon-slaying weapon would be quite powerful, as dragons are pretty much the most powerful beings in core DnD.

Then again, I don't have a DMG, so I wouldn't know jack about all the potential weapons that could exist and how they'd be "leveled", so to speak.  Though I'd also say that only bad DMs throw stuff at you that could easily kill you in, like, one dice roll.  You have to consider it from the side of the DM - that if you kill all your players' characters, then you have no one to play through the campaign you set up for them.  For that reason, you can't treat the DM like the enemy or the main threat to your character's safety, because they don't want to just smite you out of nowhere with OP BS.  At least, not if you aren't an insufferable person that would compel anyone to remove you from the game ASAP.

Ok, so I might get involved in a campaign with the D&D group I mentioned before. So, I decided to have the Dragonborn Monk be the character I use then. I also decided on using a Half-Elf Fighter for this up-and-coming campaign instead to make up for it. So yeah.

1 minute ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

Ok, so I might get involved in a campaign with the D&D group I mentioned before. So, I decided to have the Dragonborn Monk be the character I use then. I also decided on using a Half-Elf Fighter for this up-and-coming campaign instead to make up for it. So yeah.

So you'll be a half-elf fighter then, eh?

I guess either way you're gonna be up in people's faces.  Unless you take to archery, I suppose.

3 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

So you'll be a half-elf fighter then, eh?

I guess either way you're gonna be up in people's faces.  Unless you take to archery, I suppose.

I might make an archery-based Fighter in the future. Maybe an Arcane Archer.

5 hours ago, Azure in a Roundabout said:

I might make an archery-based Fighter in the future. Maybe an Arcane Archer.

I'm not inclined to tell you how to play the game.  If you want to make an archer, that's totally fine.

Though if you were to do so, I'd probably modify my character or make a different one.  Because I personally don't want to force any one player to have to take the brunt of melee combat, even if the DM gives us NPC companions that are melee combatants.  And I'm fine with that, because I'm quite flexible and am the kind of guy that could spend hours fiddling with character creation.  In fact, I would say that I passively create at least one original character every month, if not two per month, and that's if I'm not fixated on creating lots of characters.  So believe me when I say it's no skin off my teeth if any decisions any of you guys make with your characters compel me to create a new character.  I live for this kind of stuff.

The cool thing about fighters is that you can make them into lots of different things.  They are undoubtedly the most flexible combat class in DnD, which is why so many people are inclined to play as them.  You could have two fighters in one campaign and they may very well have extremely different fighting styles.

Also, @Bhoop, I'm sure it's probably no biggie, but you wouldn't mind me playing as a character of the opposite gender, yeah?  I only ask because my sister told me of a DM who wasn't okay with that for their players, not because I'm making any assumptions about you or the other players.

1 hour ago, Ertrick36 said:

Also, @Bhoop, I'm sure it's probably no biggie, but you wouldn't mind me playing as a character of the opposite gender, yeah?  I only ask because my sister told me of a DM who wasn't okay with that for their players, not because I'm making any assumptions about you or the other players.

Yeah, that's fine.

And to respond to "stuff that will one shot PCs" or something like that, I'm gonna make it really obvious when to run/not fight.

When it comes to NPCs (again), I won't use all FE characters. Most NPCs will be original, but one or two that are already flushed out for me makes a big difference. 

8 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

And to respond to "stuff that will one shot PCs" or something like that, I'm gonna make it really obvious when to run/not fight.

Right, so we'll only get immediately killed if we're stupid.

Really, though, I think that's absolutely fair.

28 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

Yeah, that's fine.

Thanks.  I'd like to say that I'm very appreciative of your open mind towards my character creation concepts and ideas.  Genuinely appreciative.  Don't often get this kind of freedom in roleplaying, even as structured as it might be.  Though in my experience, structure seems to be a good thing for RP, which is why I'm drawn to DnD in the first place.

55 minutes ago, Bhoop said:

When it comes to NPCs (again), I won't use all FE characters. Most NPCs will be original, but one or two that are already flushed out for me makes a big difference. 

I'm definitely fine with there at least being influence.  As something of an aspiring writer, I understand that true originality is a pipe dream that only foolhardy hipsters endeavor to pursue and that we all draw from the same wells.

I'll also say that amid my absolute massive mess of ideas for a player character (I'd say my mind is the equivalent of a cluttered desk, which is probably why I'm compelled to play a gnome), there is one idea that I'm unlikely to use but might be a bit inspired by (and rather similar in many regards to) one of my favorite FE characters.

So if a quiet axe fighter with the name of Dolcas shows up as a merc trying to get funds for a cure for his wife's ailments or we come upon a vengeful tribal woman who hates bandits/pirates and is unknowingly of noble lineage, I'm not gonna be like "how dare you".  The how-dare-you's will only occur if you incur the bad memes.

12 hours ago, Bhoop said:

Define "bad".

You know what?  I guess they're all bad, aren't they?

I'm being coy here, don't take me all that seriously.