Sprite opinion

Teku

I'm new to making sprites so i was looking for advice on how to make a few sprites I've been tinkering with for a few days but im not sure how to best approach making them the best that they can be, 1 is a sprite for a video project my friend and i are working on, the other was my attempt at making a manga character (you could probably guess who)

So how do i best approach the problems that are curretly present in them to have them reach the best they could get?

Torgrak test 1.png

Goblin slayer battle sprite cleaned up 3.PNG

Edited by Teku

Ooh, boy...

Well, for one thing, the pixels in your sprites aren't even the same size.  That's a big problem.

You should also make sure your sprites have no more than 16 colors (including a background color to be made transparent) if you want them to be within GBA color limitations.

Usenti is a very good program for sprite editing, especially because it lets you see how many colors you have (if you're within 16 colors, your palette should only take up a single row).

Edited by Von Ithipathachai

its not limited to gba colors, its just mostly trying to present it in the pixel style of gba (if that makes sense)

another thing ive been trying to wrap my head around is making it look like he actually holding the weapon and not just a nub with a sword through it :/

2 hours ago, Teku said:

@Byliyth many tweaks later

@Von Ithipathachai

Goblin slayer battle sprite cleaned up 6.PNG

An improvement.  Next you should adjust how certain parts of his body are drawn to make it look more like the actual Goblin Slayer art.

One thing you could try is making the curvature of the helmet look a little more pronounced and/or change the way the head is facing.  Like, the way the head is drawn, I could not tell at first glance that this was supposed to be a sprite of Goblin Slayer.  You could also try pushing it forward a little more, it looks like it's too far back.

I would also make the shoulder pads smaller, as you may notice that his shoulder pads don't protrude that far out.  The shield, too, which looks like it's supposed to be midway between a buckler and what you have now.

The sword should be shorter and wider at the base, with more of a triangle shape than the straight one here.

How good are you at drawing?  I would try making a hand drawing of Goblin Slayer at roughly this size (a light pencil drawing, perhaps), then putting it on your computer if you can and pixelling over the outline with your darkest color.

3 minutes ago, Von Ithipathachai said:

The sword should be shorter and wider at the base, with more of a triangle shape than the straight one here.

I did have that at one point but i got to many complaints
(the body art is from early on in this test so ignore it)

final 2.PNG

3 minutes ago, Teku said:

I did have that at one point but i got to many complaints
(the body art is from early on in this test so ignore it)

That isn't enough.  You also need to start from the top of the sword and add more pixels to the sides as you go down.  The hilt also needs to be made larger.  I'll see if I can make a demonstration of what I'm talking about.

The sword does look better, though it will need to be re-shaded.

That might be all the help I can give for now.  Though I will add this:

For actual sprite editing, it's best to make a pixel of your sprite equal in size to a pixel in the editing software you're using.  One pixel in your sprite took up a 4-pixel square in MS Paint and it made your sprite harder to edit while maintaining consistent pixel size.

It's looking decent now, but the shading on the head and legs still looks a little funny.

Now that I think about it, maybe he could use some more armor on his legs, too.  The way they're bent is a little funny (understandable since this is presumably based on the GBA Soldier sprite of all things), so maybe some armor could conceal that a bit.

you would be correct. the base i used was the "revised soldier" sprite, and more armor is planned, i was just starting with the leg plate so i have an idea of where other things would go since his armor goes up to about his thighs

Its for a fan project that draws inspiration from Goblin Slayer for some of the NPC's and jokes. and i wanted to make a sprite if we actually include him in the story at some point

I am very grateful you helped me get it to this point, i learned a lot during the week i spent on this and despite how tedious it was at times, im proud i could make something that even got close to what you guys emulate regularly :) @Von Ithipathachai