Let's Play - Super Robot Wars X (Team Leftovers has saved the world in 311 turns)

eclipse

What are rules?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do I follow the word or spirit of my ruleset?

• Word
    • Spirit

This poll is closed to new votes

klasdjfklajsdfklsaj I FORGOT TO USE ANYA!  I SHALL FIX THAT RIGHT AWAY!

First, new units:

The Actual Pilot of the Zeta - Who I didn't get because Reasons.  Having this pilot will unlock Waverider Charge, which is another excellent endgame move.  It isn't quite Sun Attack, but let's face it, not everyone can be Banjo.

That Other Guy I Missed - And like the pilot of the Zeta, I missed this guy, too.  This particular pilot comes with a mech that has two moves - normally, this is bad.  But this particular mech's moves consist of Utterly Forgettable and Endgame Killer.  And unlike most endgame-killing moves, this one's active shortly after sortie.  Other Guy ended the game as my highest-leveled pilot, by a lot.  Going the Gundam route has its perks!

Amuro - It's not a SRW if this guy's anything short of stellar.  I didn't use him much on my last run, because I didn't want to break the game too hard.  Probably for the  best, too.

Ringo - If anyone can make him competent, do let me know.

Raraiya - For the love of everything, give her Hit & Away.  This will turn her into a competent sniper, because Skirt Funnels has a decently impressive range.  Noredo has Daunt, which has its uses.

Tobia - The best-named mech on the Gundam side by a mile, and he's an adorable kid, too.  Crossbones starts out decently enough, and he can dive enemies, but he'll want a Cartridge if he does so.  After a certain point, the Cartridge won't be necessary.  I'm fond of him, though he'll want a bunch of Ignore Size for endgame.

Scenario 23 - 5/146

asdkfjasl;dfjalsdj I FORGOT TO DEPLOY THE XELGUARD!

The SR point takes a little finagling, but it's plenty doable with my team.  I focused on leveling Anya, with Tobia stealing kills where he could.  Everyone else's job was to soften the enemies.  My investments in Hit & Away on the battleships paid off here - they were able to shoot, then move up and provide their auras to everyone else.  I'm seriously thinking about giving it to Lelouch, so he can snipe with Phase Transistor Cannon, then move up and stay relevant.  But back to the map.

Because Anya and Tobia were on kill collection duty, I was able to have them burn their ExC on things like Smash Attack.  Apparently, bosses don't like that.  Because of how I ended turn 4, I was able to walk Banjo up to the second half boss and park him there.  This, in turn, allowed me to finish on turn 5.

I really need to level up Amari and Heero, but I don't want the former to steal all the kills.  Everyone's gonna need their Ace bonus.

New unit:

Genryusai - His mech's saving grace is Himiko, who comes with Daunt and Disrupt.  Right now, it has crap for HP, and it doesn't hit very hard.  I hope a good customization fixes this, but I won't hold my breath.

Scenario 24 - 5+6/157

asl;dfjal;fjlkasj I FORGOT TO DEPLOY KALLEN!

This map is a very strange two-part map.  The first half is Koji, Amari, and Sayaka versus a bunch of things.  Thanks to Koji being drafted, I was able to facetank everything, with Sayaka providing some repairs.  The second half of the map starts with a Koji solo, then my guys show up.  I used the Koji solo to lure the bad guys towards my reinforcements.  Once I was able to deploy everyone, I loaded up the non-drafted guys, then split my party in two.  The battleships went with a little over half my force, while Heero, Genryusai, Tobia, Lelouch, Ange, and Dio cleaned up the starting enemies.

This is why I said Heero has the second-best MAP attack in the game:

Spoiler

n5bN1Jx.jpg

Everyone else chucked it over to the actual boss.  Which turned out to be a total pushover once Banjo smacked it with a Sun Attack.  But that wasn't the highlight of the battle.

Spoiler

cUtYVjw.jpg

Bitch, please.

New unit:

Tetsuya - He's a Mazinger, and like his nephew, he'll eat hits and shred armor.  I like him slightly better due to less of an age difference Intuition.  Nothing wrong with using both Mazingers, though!

Edited by eclipse

Just some notes, wufei mechs custom bonus is a throw back to older games like SRW A where accuracy bonus mattered way more. What it does do is give him a long ranged super accurate attack on his otherwise melee mech which diffiencates it from Deathscythe hell. Over all, outside Wing Zero the wing units are nerfed from previous games. There are just better units. That said, its not like SRW X is hard enough for any of that to matter so use who you want.

There are some good units in the Cross Ange cast. Standouts are:

1) Ange (shes a beast) give her the custom bonus and the Omnidefensor and shes practically invincible. She only need 1 extra potential level to max it out which is a good idea.
2) Vivian's mech has 3 part slots so give her the rescue item so she can repair/refuel and she can spam Daunt
3) Tusk is a fantastic repair/resupply unit that can also fight with support attack level 3. Ok-ish damage only on his mech but its quite good for a support unit.
4) Salamandinay - an excellent support attacker with command levels to boost the units your supporting.

As for the pilots of the Zeta and ZZ gundam, you should have them both. They are not missable and join as part of the plot so you should have them both. Unless your talking about the secret ZZ pilots you can gain from playing the Gundam route. In which case, yeah they are good. Nothing amazing but they are good and worth garbing if playing the gundam routes.

Raraiya's mech is amazing. All she really needs is hit and away but she can make a great support attacker as well with enhance attack and more support attack levels.

" really need to level up Amari and Heero, but I don't want the former to steal all the kills.  Everyone's gonna need their Ace bonus."

Just cast cheer on them and let them kill a boss. Its a great way to quickly level up any pilot that falls behind in levels.

Edited by wissenschaft

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

klasdjfklajsdfklsaj I FORGOT TO USE ANYA! 

FeelsBadMan

2 hours ago, eclipse said:

My investments in Hit & Away on the battleships paid off here - they were able to shoot, then move up and provide their auras to everyone else.  I'm seriously thinking about giving it to Lelouch, so he can snipe with Phase Transistor Cannon, then move up and stay relevant.  But back to the map.

Yeah, although I've still only done OG 1, Hit and Away seems like one of those *never bad to have* abilities, especially for the big guns that can't move after firing. Of course, then I always feel bad for the wasted points when there's just one boss left and everyone's just parked and shooting, but its been an amazing help in chapters where I need to move a lot or even when I just unexpectedly need to pull someone back.

@wissenschaft I'm not sure how far you are in SRW X, so I'll put half of this in spoilers.  If this is a Deathscythe/Tallgeese nerf, then I'm a little scared to see how good they were in previous games.

As for the Zeta/ZZ crew. . .

Spoiler

Kamille is by far the best pilot for Zeta, due to Waverider Charge (which I think is locked to him).  When I got everyone back from the route split, Roux was in Zeta.  He might be floating around somewhere in my "I don't have a mech" roster, in which case, I'll shove him in Zeta and let him cool his heels there.  Meanwhile, Judau was meant for ZZ.  My personal preference is Kamille anyway.  Dude's pretty cool.

Mashymere is the other pilot I could've acquired.  IMO he's the most ridiculous of the bunch, and he doesn't want to leave his Zaku.  Psyco Power doesn't have the base power that the likes of Sun Attack do, but it has decent range, a relatively low Morale cost (after customization), and Mashymere's ace bonus gives him a free Love trigger at 150+ Morale (just once).  I had him punch bosses in the face, and he became rather overleveled as a result.

2 hours ago, alatartheblue42 said:

FeelsBadMan

Yeah, although I've still only done OG 1, Hit and Away seems like one of those *never bad to have* abilities, especially for the big guns that can't move after firing. Of course, then I always feel bad for the wasted points when there's just one boss left and everyone's just parked and shooting, but its been an amazing help in chapters where I need to move a lot or even when I just unexpectedly need to pull someone back.

It's been a huge help for the Megafauna, because its doesn't have a Move & Fire weapon.  In other words, it either needs to fire THEN catch up, or Donyell becomes a sad, inexperienced panda.  The Cygnus/N-Nautilus don't have that problem, but I gave it to them anyway.  Sometimes, I want to snipe and move.

I'll put the chapter update separately, since I'd rather not have to deal with that one forum bug that does weird things to my posts.

Scenario 25 - 6/163

Used part 1 to move the Xelguard away from everyone.  Amari's dodging is a little shaky, and I didn't equip her with a Repair Kit.

As soon as part 2 began, I shoved everyone into the Cygnus, and had it Accel towards Amari.  Meanwhile, Amari ran towards her buddies.  After that, I unloaded everyone, and slowly started pecking away at the bad guys.  Amari needs to kill three things in one phase, and the safest way to do that is to chain actions on player phase.  I quietly got Amari to 3 ExC and Kuramitsu to 4 ExC.  This allowed me to use a Dogma to get Kuramitsu to 5 ExC.  Between Amari's Multi Action, and the Cygnus' Restore Action, she was able to get the SR point.  Cleaned up, and made sure to feed some kills to Kallen.

Oh don't worry about SRW spoilers, I use the Akurasu.net wiki so nothing surprises me.

As for Deathscythe/Tallgeese/Heavyarms, they have all been much stronger in the past. If you just compare them to other units in your roster you'll see they are not really that great and the pilots don't have the best spirits or have overcost spirits. Deathscythe is ok as a gruntkiller but thats all he does. Compare the unit to Salamandinay's mech for an example of a better grunt killer that doubles as support attack + command unit or Bellbine which will do more damage and is size S (easier to evade large enemies). In previous games Heavyarms had long range with his best attack and Trowa had Iron Wall. Now, Trowa wants Tallgeese for access to a better long ranged attack but he'll make the melee attack (heat rod) weaker - low melee stat. Zechs himself has a meh ace bonus but the balanced stats to use Tallgeese. But the mech lacks barrier pierce and ignore size which limits its effectiveness. At least Duo has a level of ignore size.

The reason Roux is in Zeta is because thats how the story goes in ZZ gundam. When Judau gets ZZ then Roux takes Zeta. Don't worry, you'll get Kamille latter in the game. In recent SRW games hes been a late join and used a veteran role model for the younger pilots. Mashymere is a decent pilot in search for a better mech. lol Theres another ZZ secret pilot you can get and he is pretty great pilot paired with a good unit.

Edited by wissenschaft

On 1/30/2019 at 5:14 AM, wissenschaft said:

Oh don't worry about SRW spoilers, I use the Akurasu.net wiki so nothing surprises me.

As for Deathscythe/Tallgeese/Heavyarms, they have all been much stronger in the past. If you just compare them to other units in your roster you'll see they are not really that great and the pilots don't have the best spirits or have overcost spirits. Deathscythe is ok as a gruntkiller but thats all he does. Compare the unit to Salamandinay's mech for an example of a better grunt killer that doubles as support attack + command unit or Bellbine which will do more damage and is size S (easier to evade large enemies). In previous games Heavyarms had long range with his best attack and Trowa had Iron Wall. Now, Trowa wants Tallgeese for access to a better long ranged attack but he'll make the melee attack (heat rod) weaker - low melee stat. Zechs himself has a meh ace bonus but the balanced stats to use Tallgeese. But the mech lacks barrier pierce and ignore size which limits its effectiveness. At least Duo has a level of ignore size.

Reveal hidden contents

Deathscythe also makes for decent bait - have Duo dodge everything, then counter and make things miserable.  Or, that's what I wound up doing in the end.

Scenario 26 - 5/168

ASDKLJFALJSDFLASJF I FORGOT TO DEPLOY C.C. FOR THE PAST TWO MAPS!

So I didn't look at my screen carefully, and that cost me the SR point.  Had I deployed C.C. like I was supposed to, I would've gotten it.  But alas. . .

The Deenbells get stupidly tanky when they're low on health, and there's only a handful of units that can delete a giant chunk of their health (Ange, Banjo at 125+ Morale, Koji).  I managed to clump everyone together, then had Lelouch yell at them so they'd do their jobs better.  I probably should've gone with the Morale bonus instead of the HP/EN regen, but eh.  The Gratan proved its worth by keeping my battleships alive and supplied.

Part 2 was over really quickly, because the boss thought that Koji was a valid attack target.

. . .and I can't edit my comment.  a;lsjdfa;ljflkajdsf

Scenario 27 - 7/175

The SR point isn't possible unless Maito has several levels in him, so the first part can be completed in two turns, tops.  Mine. . .doesn't.  Go figure.

The second part of the map is basically GO UP.  C.C. got several catch-up levels, while the Gratan slowly inches its way towards the ace bonus (Show got his last map, making him the second guy to do so).  Fed Anya a boss kill because why not.  Had to power up THE SUN, but it was well worth watching Rockpie melt under it.  Due to how the rest of the map plays out, Maito smacked Joe a bit, then Koji stole the kill.

New stuff:

Might Kaiser (or something like that) - That should tell you how much attention I paid to it.

Scenario 28 - 7/182

This SR point requires some square-counting, but is very doable otherwise.  BUT WAIT THERE'S MORE!

The second part of the map ends when the Big Scary Boss (note: not actually scary) hits a certain HP threshold.  Luckily, I had Koji, who stalled the boss for a turn, which gave everyone else enough time to clean up.  Kallen scored several kills here, somehow.  The third part of the map went similarly to the second part, with Sunshine Hero himself leading the way.  Managed to snag a couple of kills for Anya. . .Stark Hadron, MAP Style, is kinda irritating, since my guys tend to be in the way.  Didn't quite have enough firepower to finish the fourth part in one turn, hence the extra turn.  Facing gigantic enemies without Ignore Size really sucks.

New Stuff:

Mazin Emperor and Mazinkaiser - They hit harder, and they retain Rust Hurricane.  I'm sure there's some other details I'm missing.

Secret - 4/186

Koji walks into a bunch of things, said things attack him, he gets his ace bonus, and everything dies.  The end.  The rest of my guys were the clean-up crew.

Scenario 29 - 8/194

Things were FUN when I had to solo it with Judau, Roux, and Wataru. . .well, at least the last one gained something like seven levels off of it?

The SR point is not my forte, though this would've been trivial had I recruited Masaki (he's coming, don't worry).  It's also slightly mistranslated - it requires four enemies to fall to a MAP attack at the same time.  Thank goodness the N-Nautilus doesn't shank my team when Homing Laser is used!  Took the advice of someone in the thread earlier, used Cheer on Amari, fed her a boss kill, and now I don't have to worry about her levels for a while.  I'm still trying to get the Code Geass guys kills, but it's a little difficult, since Anya/C.C. need to stand still to unleash hell (Hit & Away can't fix the issue if they're not in range to begin with).  The Megafauna and Cygnus are coming along nicely, in terms of kills.  So is Tobia.  Heero. . .eh.

New units:

Kamille - Apparently, this is where he joins.  Don't be fooled by his name, he's damn good on his own.  His job is to pilot the Zeta and never leave.  While Waverider Charge isn't the absolute strongest attack, it'll take chunks off of an enemy's health.  Give him his ace bonus, have him dive enemies, and enjoy the show!

Mashymre - So I've been spelling his name wrong.  He's a missable pilot, and I didn't get him this time because I didn't have Judau at my disposal.  He pilots a Zaku, which has two attacks - a Beam Rifle which for all intents and purposes does not exist, and Psyco Power, which is the only attack he needs.  Give him some weapon range extenders for giggles.  Once he gets his ace bonus, he'll never have to worry about being underleveled again.  If he's not recruited, he'll go smell the flowers or something.

Edited by eclipse

• 2 weeks later...

So RL became stupid.  I'm now on a timer. . .two weeks.  To finish and log this.  Help.

Scenario 30 - 6/200

Oh, another route split~!  Once again, we follow Wataru.

The SR point for this one is slightly deceptive, because it's only available on the last leg of the map.  Luckily, it's not too difficult to get.  Thank goodness for Genryusai, or this would've been nigh-impossible.  The first three turns consisted of Genryusai doing ninja things, while Wataru stole a kill.  Once the N-Nautilus showed up, i was able to deploy everyone else.  From there, it was a matter of whittling down Don Goro to trigger the last portion of the map.  Daitarn made a beeline to the back of the map, and filled Goryu with SUNSHINE.  Kallen finished him off for good.  This should've been five turns, but guess who forgot to trigger Smash Attack on Ange?

Genryusai's Ignore Size on everything is a lifesaver.

New units:

Kurama - He comes with Dash, and not much else of note.  He makes for decent evasion filler, at least.  He'll be able to dive fairly well, which is somewhat welcome.

Shibaraku's New Groove - Oh, just LOOK at that power boost!  If he's overleveled (which he should be, if Gain was used often), he'll be ready to smash more things in. . .even if it's more fodder.  But STILL!

Genryusai's Upgrade - The weapon types stay more-or-less the same, but he hits harder.  And he's still annoyingly hard to hit.  Thanks to Ignore Size, he'll have some use on the endgame maps.

Maito (again) - Whatever upgrades he has were shoved into the N-Nautilus.

Scenario 31 - 4/204

The SR point is piss-easy.  The map is easy, and one phase long.  Use this time to give people kills.  Nemo hit ace here, because everyone decided to group up for a Homing Laser snapshot.

New units:

N-Nautilus - Finally has a barrier.

Gratan - Weapons upgrade, and it's actually pretty impressive.  Well, as long as Grandis is leveled.

Scenario 32 - 4/208

The SR point is also pretty easy, since most of my group flies.  Rush everyone to the island just across the sea, and the enemies will flock/spawn on top of that.

Oh, right, the actual enemies.  The Mail Riders are extremely evasive, so having Bullseye/Intuition was huge.  Especially on MAP Homing Laser, which was the MVP of the round.  C.C. nearly ate it here, but hung on with 400 HP.  Her offense may not be the best, but she dodges the most improbable things, and survives otherwise.  Quite impressive.

Scenario 33 - 4/212

Shout-out to Banjo for learning Valor mid-map, which enabled me to hit the SR point.

Show and Suzaku spawn right in the middle of a bunch of enemies.  Suzaku's Focus was enough to keep him safe, despite being horribly underleveled.  If I somehow have time for a third run, he's definitely being used.  Oh, right, everyone else. . .well, it's a matter of walking up and smacking things in the face.  Ange finally got her Ace bonus, and it's a good one.

New units:

Maito (hopefully the last time) - He upgraded in the N-Nautilus.

Show - The Sirbine isn't quite as versatile as the Billbine, but it comes with Silkie Mau, and more co-pilots is usually a good thing.  Plus, the Sirbine looks cool.

Edited by eclipse

Scenario 34 - 7/219

This SR point requires either a lot of good ExC management, or some serious MAP abuse.  I went with. . .both.  Had Anya collect kills for a couple of turns, and after all the enemies clumped in front of her, had her use Stark Hadron the MAP attack three times (hooray ExC).  This got rid of several enemies, and whittled down several more.  Banjo required a little bit of help from a Dogma to hit Multi Action, while Show was able to Just Do It because of how the map starts.  By the time all was said and done, 16 enemies died during player phase 5.  From there, it was a matter of waiting for the boss to show up, then using SUNLIGHT to dispel the darkness (with Genryusai stealing the kill).  A true LTC run will skip this map point and dive with Show, because that's the most efficient way of doing things.

Thanks to the routes meeting back up, I got a record four pilots to Ace status at the same time (that would be Vivian, Banjo, Donyell, and Dio).  Will be shoving Dio and Kuramitsu into EXP training, because they sorely need it.

New units:

Tod - He's. . .not bad.  Nowhere near Show, but could be a lot worse for a unit that requires that many things to go right before he's recruited.  I might use him one day.  He'll be able to easily catch up in levels due to Gain, at least.

Klim - He's decent, but the Dahack. . .why. . .what use does the enemy have for EN?  And I'm going to get so much of it due to Banjo!

Mick - Trinity's better than Dahack IMO, but is strictly inferior to Klim.  Aida can make good use of this mech.

Char - I think he wants the Nightingale, but Sazabi's Funnels are not to be trifled with.  He comes with Hit & Run, which means he can snipe all day log.  Or just rush in with All-Out Attack.  Definitely a solid pick all around.

Tobia - I think this is where Crossbones gets an upgrade. . .and boy is it an upgrade!  Skullheart Special will be his go-to until the end of the game.

Bellri - Like his Gundam needs an upgrade!  But it gets one anyway, and it makes him all the better.

Aida - G-Arcana sorely needed the upgrade, and not too many others can make this mech work (ironically, I think Heero would have a field day in here).

Special - 3/222

This map's pretty boring, but. . .

New unit:

Masaki - He's HERE!  The single best MAP attack, bar none, and the two best non-co-pilots to exist!  I need to shove a ton of kills into him, but this will be worth it!

Scenario 35 - 4/226

This should've been three turns, but I didn't quite have enough firepower to off Rakan.  Used DOUBLE THE SUNLIGHT to get the SR point.  Thank goodness Yggdrasil uses so much EN when shielding.  Everything made the mistake of huddling near Nemo, who had fun with Homing Laser.  Whoever was in range decided that Kuramitsu was bait or something, which in turn got him ace status.

New unit:

Amuro (again) - I don't remember much about this, but Amuro was already good, so. . .

Edited by eclipse

Scenario 36 - 4/230

The SR point is the first mission objective, thank goodness.  As soon as one finishes, the next one pops up.  While there's a turn limit, it's pretty easy to finish before then.  Decided to spend an extra turn to nuke everything before using Best Girl to end the map.

Spoiler

WC33r9g.jpg

Eat your heart out, Grandis~!

Kallen and Lelouch got their ace bonuses here, and both of them are extremely good.

New units:

Jill - She doesn't come with Mail Rider, sadly.  IMO this is an absolute travesty, as she is the coolest looking of the bunch by a mile, and she has a lot of lore nonsense thrown at her for who-knows-what reason.  Raziya is really, REALLY boring.

Chris - One day, I'll give her the time of day.  But not today.

Salia - Cleopatra comes with Ability Unlock, which makes it better on offense.  With Salia's innate Commander aura, she rises head and shoulders above the rest of the 1st Para-Mail Squadron (sans Ange).

Ange - Finally gets her MAP attack and Discord Phaser, both of which hit insanely hard.  With that, she's a full main character!

Joe - If you have to use someone from that universe, go with Maito.  Joe looks cooler, and that's about where it ends.

Scenario 37 - 3/233

The SR point is another fairly easy one, as the enemy will waltz down towards you.  I made it a point to off the third wheel, since he's more experience.  SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS did something like half of Hina's HP.  Finished off both enemy Valiancers on turn 3.  I didn't touch the reinforcements, because I was too busy beating up Bizon.

New unit:

Hina - She'll work if Dio isn't being used.  She's more supportive, though Bonds is an excellent skill.

Scenario 38 - 6/239

The SR point requires a little bit of patience - or the Gratan and its crazy amount of Spirits.  Amari slowly retreated, then used Multi Action to regroup with everyone.  After that, I took great pains in whittling units down, so that a Valor-driven Cyflash could off a giant group at once (seven, to be exact).  The boss is dangerous for maybe two attacks, then crumples pretty quickly.  Intuition is a life-saver here.

Heero and Genryusai got their ace bonuses, and I managed to unlock two different vault parts (one involving that massive Cyflash, and the other for getting so many ace pilots).

Scenario 39 - 4/243

. . .I think I found my favorite scene in the game.  Go Grandis!

Bum-rushed the enemies, because the boss doesn't move.  Had to get really creative to get the SR point - used Resolve on the Nautilus, then had it restore Banjo's action.  VALOROUS SUNLIGHT more-or-less wiped out the boss.  After his untimely resurrection, it was again HYPER SUNSHINE that chunked the boss, with Heero stealing the kill.

Tobia got his ace bonus, which translates to "spam Valor and die happy".

New unit:

Iori - The other protagonist shows up here with Bonds and Resupply, both of which will be useful later on.

Scenario 40 - 5/248

Once again, Banjo and SOLAR-POWERED VALOR are to thank for the SR point.  The second half is basically a shooting range - the enemies are big and have barriers, but are otherwise not threatening.  Perfect for feeding the new guys kills!  Speaking of. . .

New units:

The twins - Because they're about as forgettable.

Yoko - She comes with Hit & Run, Snipe, and Charge.  In other words, this is what Trowa wished he was.  After gaining a level or two, she'll get Valor.  Her attacks aren't anything special, but being able to snipe while running is welcome.  Plus, her tank is the biggest thing ever, so all she has to worry about are barriers.

Kittan - He PUNCHES THINGS, and they die.  He also comes with all his spirits, and Valor makes him hit harder.  He's not on Banjo's level, but he'll help to clear out some tougher generics.

Scenario 41 - 5/253

Another fairly easy SR point, especially if your team has a bunch of MAP attacks.  Stack Valor/Soul on top of them, and watch the fireworks.

Used this map to feed Yoko and Kittan kills.  Anya is one away from her ace bonus.  C.C. is about seven or so.  Should be able to get all of them up to ace before endgame, at least!

This map features the first boss with six-digit HP.  But thanks to Valor/Soul, it went down VERY fast (Valor-boosted Cosmo Nova is not to be trifled with).

Edited by eclipse

Scenario 42 - 7/260

Smash a bunch of bosses in one turn?  Uh, sure?  Thanks, SR point.  Wound up having to use N-Nautilus cheese to finish this map (Nemo learns Resolve, so have him use that, then use the ExC order that allows a unit to move again.  Combine with Prospect for best results).  C.C. got her Ace bonus here (and it's. . .a little underwhelming).

The second part of this is sweet revenge.

New unit:

Toraoh - So this little punk isn't quite on Wataru's level (Ryuomaru's a co-pilot, which gives Wataru more options), but he can be used if you really want someone from that universe, and have neglected literally everyone else.

Scenario 43 - 5/265

If possible, take out the Deenbells, too.  Otherwise, the SR point isn't too hard to get.  But after the SR point, that stupid full heal gimmick returns, with a twist.  So, to get rid of the enemies ASAP, I made a little guide.

Spoiler

tvkbOSb.jpg

All these enemies will go to full HP if I don't kill them on this turn.  Luckily, I have options.  LOTS of options.

EKY0aJi.jpg

Step 1: Soul-powered Smash Attack Homing Laser to the face.  Meanwhile, take note of Anya's position.

HMDmx1E.jpg

Step 2: Get Kittan, C.C., Show, Amari, and Genryusai out of the way.
Step 3. Introduce Stark Hadron, the MAP attack, powered by Valor.  Because I can.

FX2xuwS.jpg

Step 4: Kallen runs off to use her MAP attack, powered by Soul (?) (not sure if she learns that or Valor), as well.  It's not much!

jzEPy2X.jpg

Step 5: Masaki shows off why he's the best at MAP attacks.  Powered by Valor, of course.
Step 6: Initiate some single-target clean-up.

QjD6j1F.jpg

Step 7: Bask in the gloriousness that are the missing enemies.  Because we killed them despite their stupid gimmick.

PmJkqZC.jpg

Step 8: Clear out the remaining enemies
Step 9: Beat the boss within an inch of his life.
Step 10: Give Best Girl the kill.  Because she deserves it.

Scenario 44 - 5/270

Route split!  I STRONGLY suggest avoiding this route (Doakdar) if you have epilepsy.

Once again, not a difficult SR point, even if you load up the N-Nautilus and have it transport (mostly) everyone.  Hysterica is oddly fitting, given the pilot's name.  I'm pretty sure this was intentional.

After a rather. .. uncomfortable scene, the second part of the map commences.  And by "commences", I mean the countdown starts, and it's a scene well worth watching.  Kittan, went nuts here, with the help of Nemo's ExC orders.  Also, enjoy some cross-route deus ex (it's referenced in the other route, too).  No, I'm not going to spoil it. . .it's just too good. . .

New unit:

Ange - True Ability Unlock is only hampered by its range.  It's otherwise an excellent attack, which would be absolutely deadly on someone that hits like a truck (like Kittan).  Which is probably why she has it, and not him.

Scenario 45 - 5/275

The SR point would be a lot less obnoxious if Smash Hit wasn't a requirement.  Since Amari decided that she wanted to do her support attack RIGHT NOW, I missed it.

Second part of the map went faster than it should, because Masaki + Valor + Smash Hit is enough to one-shot the small guys.  And he took out ten of them at once.  Out of twelve.  Yeah.

Thanks to my screw-up, both Kittan and Yoko got their ace bonuses.  Yoko's is interesting.  I'm in love with Kittan.

Now, to that poll.  Since exactly one person voted "Spirit", this sets the course for the last few maps of the game.  Shout-out to Sub-Orders. . .

This time, no pictures.

Scenario 46 - 4/279

Marianne isn't exactly threatening.  Embryo might be, but he's small, and a bit of Intuition will ruin his day.  That leaves the gigantic generics, who will eventually fall.  Thus, getting the SR point isn't too bad.

Scenario 47 - 5/284

The boss has too much HP and a barrier on top of it. ;/

Luckily, some fodder warps in, which gave my units enough time to activate cool stuff like Smash Hit.  Which is exactly what it took, repeatedly.  Thank goodness Grandis can Resupply on the run, which is why I finished this map (barely).  It took two Cosmo Novas to do the trick.  Lelouch finally managed a couple of kills, and he's not stupidly far behind anymore.  I think Donyell's a lost cause (he's level 46, with the next-lowest being 48).

Scenario 48 - 7/291

Toraoh is required for this SR point, but I think the 2.5K damage he did was negligible.  Ahem. . .

For some weird reason, the Megafauna's red exterior attracted enemies - lots of enemies.  As a result, it somehow managed to hit ExC 10.  Lelouch snuck in a few kills to stay relevant, while Anya/C.C. were more for sniping than actual killing.  Having dual repair bots was near-mandatory, since one of the bosses likes to spam a MAP attack (and it brought Lelouch to double-digit HP).  Had to hack out Bonds (the other protagonist on the Xelguard), which is probably why this wasn't a lot worse.

New units:

Wataru - Finally gets a Barrier Buster/Ignore Size attack, and it's a doozy.  7100 base, before weapon upgrades.  Requires a boatload of Morale, but it's well worth it.  Kamina's Sunglasses makes the Morale gain a lot faster.

Tetsuya - His final attack is slightly weaker than Wataru's final attack, but given Tetsuya's manly stats, it's not a huge issue.

Koji - See Tetsuya's entry.

Ple Two - Should've been way earlier, but I forgot.  Which is also how I feel about her and her mech.

Dayakka - It's. . .big.  And full of people.  And. . .not very relevant by itself, but. . .

Hang on ladies and gentlemen, we're headed to space, endgame, and the reason why I really like Ignore Size.

Scenario 49 - 4/295

Remember that poll question way back when?  This scenario is why I asked it.

Simon has the ability to transform into a battleship, thus making him free.  By the strict wording of the rules, he wouldn't be, since he doesn't start as one.  But by the spirit of the rules, he would be after he transforms, since the thing he combines with happens to be a battleship.  It's. . .confusing. . .just smile and nod.

So, with that out of the way, Simon + Gain + a ton of ExC Multi Actions gained 35 levels, once the appropriate story scene plays out .  Be proud, my man!

Everyone else either weakened things for Simon's amazing transformation, or otherwise served as bait for the actual boss.  That MAP attack sucks, but I think this is the last time I have to worry about it.  Heero with Ignore Size is pretty damn good.  The SR point is pretty generous - at this stage, I'm more likely to die from the boss than anything.

New unit:

Simon - Big enough for you?  He still hits hard, and thanks to the army of co-pilots behind him, he has a lot of tricks up his sleeve.  All he's missing is some EN regeneration, and he's set.

Edited by eclipse

Scenario 50 - 6/301

The actual enemies spawn behind the ships, so just let the enemies in front catch up.  They will, eventually.

The SR point's a little tricky, since this is a three-part map and then some.  The first boss should go down fairly quickly, and MAP attacks make things a lot faster (as Support Defend doesn't work on them).  This will also be the longest leg.

The second part involves whittling down another boss.  Invoked a lot of Foresee/Intuition, because Immobile sucks.  What also sucks is losing two of my drafted units.

Spoiler

Banjo is temporary.  Kittan is not.  RIP, you glorious bastard.

The final part went quickly enough, since Simon returned.  A bunch of drills later, and the map was over (just barely).  Cheesing with Nemo's Resolve/Restore Action really is a valid strategy, I promise!

Spoiler

Yes, I used the funds refund to max out Yoko, I think that's what Kittan would've wanted.

Scenario 51 - 5/306

I'm not sure if this SR point is possible with an underleveled Simon.  Needed to spam Valor, Bravery, and Love for the first bit (not necessarily in that order).

Check out everyone's mech stats on this map - it's pretty funny.

Masaki, Heero, Anya, and Nemo punched a hole through the enemies with their MAP skills, then everyone else picked off the leftovers. . .the leftover enemies, not themselves!  After the story scene, pushed on towards the boss.  Decided to be funny and have Kallen take the kill, while under Renee's Cheer.  The result was twelve levels, pushing her to level 65 (next-highest was Dayakka and Co., at 60).  I should do crazy things like that more often!

New unit:

Nia - She's temporary.  However, Wish was the reason why Simon didn't bite the dust.

Simon - Yes, this IS his final form.  At 7400, that drill will pierce the heavens, and anything else that happens to be in his way.  While he has other attacks, I never bothered with them.

Endgame - 5/311

NO SR POINT!

Turns out selling damn near everything to get the final Dogma was well worth it.  But that's later.

First part is stupidly easy - use it to build ExC.  I kept Anya away from things, which was probably the smartest thing I've done all run.  Once the boss shows up, I used Wall/Focus on everyone that I could (Vivian got a prayer thrown her way).  The boss has a nasty MAP attack, and moves multiple times a turn.  Heero, Dio, and Yoko can naturally attack outside of his range, which made my life easier.  After the boss is roughly at half-health, another scene plays out, and then. . .JAM Project starts playing.  Which means things get real.  And I stop using MAP attacks.

Used the final Dogma on Simon, who'd taken the liberty of transforming into Green Spotted Gurren Lagann.  Thanks to three Restore Actions, he did something like 100K damage to the boss by himself.  Had everyone spam their strongest things on the boss (Kaiser Nova, ONE MORE DOSE OF SUNLIGHT, True Ability Unlock for what good that did, etc.), and left the boss kill to. . .

Spoiler

6bEzT2z.jpg

Dedicated to those that like him.  The one-shot weapon, powered by Valor and Direct Attack.

And then credit roll.  I'll do the unit evaluations in the next post.

I don't care if this is the opening song, it's good listening:

Credit roll:

Amari - Apparently, she and Iori can get a slightly different set of spirits, depending on the birthday and blood type entered.  But eh.  Like all good protagonists, she starts off fairly weak (her starting Move & Fire attack is really lame), but as she gains more attacks, she'll become more useful.  Her second-to-the-last attack has the most utility IMO, but requires Hit & Run.  Her final attack is good for boss-busting.  Overall, a solid unit, especially after Iori shows up.

Grandis - Extra Arms turns Charge into something respectable.  With the ability to repair and resupply, all she really needs is Maintenance, and she'll be good forever.  Hanson and Sanson have some very useful spirits (Disrupt and Accel are two that come to mind), and she'll eventually gain Love.  Whether it be for combat, bait, or utility, she'll attempt to do it all!

Show - He'll do a hefty amount of damage with Aura Shot, and is damn-near impossible to hit once his morale is high enough.  He needs the Spiral Effector to truly shine, but several other people want it, too.  His other weakness is the fact that he needs to be in his opponent's face.  As he's a main character, he was able to hold his own, and didn't fall too far behind.  He's also necessary for Tod's recruitment.

Donyell - The Megafauna's the most defensive of the ships.  Since I have very little use for that outside of a few situations, eh.  Lack of a MAP attack and no Move & Fire weapon means that Hit & Run is a necessity, or he'll fall way behind.

Ange - Focus is for early encounters, then she'll slowly start gaining attacks.  She doesn't hit as hard as the likes of Banjo, but she's dodgy, and she gets more funds via Mail Rider.  She'll want HIt & Run once she gets Discord Phaser, but she shouldn't rely on it.

Vivian - She needs to rely on Intuition to stay alive.  Her personal weapon's decent early-on, but eventually gets outshone by Freeze Bullet (the Para-Mail specialty).  She'll fall off later in the game, but she can still do some work with the power part that turns her into Tusk (with Daunt).

Kuramitsu - He doesn't come with Bullseye, which really hurts on some maps.  Renee's Focus could've been something else, since he'll want more than 30% hit at times (and LOL at the evasion bonus).  Nector Cannon's MAP attack is a little awkward, but at least he gets Valiancer Combination (a.k.a. the one attack that makes him better than Donyell).  Decent ace bonus, too.  I'm fond of this ship, mostly because it looks cool.

Dio - Unlike his buddy Aoba, he'll need Hit & Run, since his combo attack isn't Move & Fire.  His other attacks get phased out once the enemies increase in size.  Luckily, his ace bonus helps him to survive.  Works best with Aoba and Hina, but can function on his own.

Nemo - By far the best offensive battleship, with two Move & Fire attacks.  Once he learns Resolve, he can hand out free turns like candy.  Requires a Commander's Terminal, since he doesn't naturally come with a nifty aura (Blue Water requires his ace bonus to be fully effective).

Banjo - Sun Attack is ridiculous early-on, and continues to be good all through the game (yes, even when the enemies resist Armor Down).  A little bit of range extension goes a long way on him, since he hits really hard.  Slap the Hyper Generator on him and never worry about Sun Attack's cost ever again.  His ace bonus doesn't directly help him (unlike Vivian's), but more money is good.  His customization bonus is confusing.

Heero - Slap the Spiral Effector on him, and he turns into an insane siege unit in the last few maps.  Or he can dive with Rolling Buster Rifle.  Kinda sucks that he's tied to Wing Zero, but eh.  He makes it work.

Kallen - She'd either fall way behind, or surge in front of everyone else.  While having another mobile MAP attack was funny, it wasn't quite as useful as Heero/Masaki (but that's a high bar IMO).  She can also make good use of Extra Arms, especially since she learns Soul.  Not at the very top of the pecking order, but plenty serviceable.

Anya - Her customization bonus is a MAP attack.  The downside is that I have to get everyone out of the way before she can fire. . .but it's pretty glorious once she does.  She absolutely needs Hit & Run, or she'll fall way behind.

Lelouch - The ability to fiddle with stats is no laughing matter, which means that once he gets his ace bonus, he doesn't care about anything else.  His MAP attack is a little less collateral-heavy than Anya's.  He also wants Hit & Run, so he can position his aura after he fires one of his cannons.  Or he can attempt to Zero Beam things, but he's not exactly a beefy attacker.  Great utility, though!

C.C. - She is never going to be a powerhouse.  What she specializes in is handing out Foresee to my units, and dodging things that the likes of my dodgetanks fail to do.  I kept getting her mixed up with Vivian.  Since she's ammo-based, she really wants a Cartridge (and later one, that one power part that constantly refills her ammo).  Her ace bonus turns her into a utility spirit thing.

Koji - Sometimes, he dodged.  But for the rest of the times, he absorbed hits like a good Mazinger.  He may have come close to dying a time or two, but he never did go kablooey.  Rust Hurricane wound up being a little less useful this time, since I melted enemies anyway.

Tobia - Peacock Smasher is okay until he goes Full Cloth, then it's Skullheart Special all the way.  Accel was the most-used thing in his kit, followed by his attack boosters (he gets Valor and Soul FSR) and Wall.  The redundancy aside, he has a very solid spirit list, even if Crossbones needs to be closer to the enemies than I care for.  He innately busts barriers, but he'll need a bunch of Ignore Size for some of the more obnoxious enemies.

Genryusai - His lack of range means that he can't quite be the best bait unit ever.  He'll dodge damn near everything, though.  Even with his upgrade, he doesn't have the stats to really hit hard.  Luckily, he has one of the best customization bonuses for his situation, in the form of Ignore Size on everything.  Himiko is amusing.

Masaki - Hoo boy.  Valor-powered Cyflashes will take chunks off of the enemy's health.  Akashic Buster's a decent attack, and Cosmo Nova is literally the strongest thing I have (yes I upgraded his weapons). . .which is why it's one shot only.  He comes with Focus/Intuition, and is fairly dodgy, so he has options when it comes to EP.  Getting the morale for Cyflash is a little irritating during midgame, though.

Yoko - Her ace bonus is really good, as is her customization one.  This turns her into a hyper-mobile siege unit who can take a hit.  Snipe was used a couple of times to out-range bosses.  While she's ammo-based, I never ran out.

Kittan - He's a goddamn wall who hits back if he's close enough.  Insta-Bravery is reminiscent of Mashymre (lower morale limit, though).  Absolutely amazing as a filler unit.

Dayakka - Didn't use this battleship that much, but it reminds me of the worst parts of Donyell and Nemo.  Hence why I was so eager to combine him with Simon.

Simon - Even if he isn't leveled, he can catch up insanely fast thanks to Gain.  His attacks hurt like crazy, assuming he's close enough to use them.  Thanks to the sheer number of co-pilots he can get, he should have an answer to just about everything that the game throws at him.  He did Kittan proud.

---

MVP: Unsurprisingly, Masaki.  Cyflash is just that good.  He also had the most kills, at 115.
Biggest surprise: Anya's customization bonus.  Her MAP attack was great for chunking enemies, even if I had to move people out of the way.
Biggest troll: Kallen ending the game as my highest-leveled unit (65).
Most likely to be used: Suzaku/Jeremiah, should I ever get the chance to play this game again.  Code Geass has interesting units.
Would I do this again?  Hell yes!

See ya~!

• eclipse changed the title to Let's Play - Super Robot Wars X (Team Leftovers has saved the world in 311 turns)

Congratulations!

It was fun to follow along, even if I was basically only focusing on stuff that had Masaki or Code Geass/TTGL units (since they're the only ones I know). One day, I'll get my hands on a PS4 so I can play stuff like X (and not feel pressure to teach myself Japanese first).

Oh yeah, Simon's subpilot count must be crazy in his final form. Even having 2 or 3 pilots at once in the GBA OGs is a huge asset; I can't really imagine how ridiculous Simon must get.

Also jeez, Masaki, 115 kills? shame you can't seem to hit anything in my OG2 run without Strike on. 

6 hours ago, eclipse said:
Spoiler

Banjo is temporary.  Kittan is not.  RIP, you glorious bastard.

RIP Banjo and Kittan then.

Also congrats on the clear. Is 311 a particularly strong LTC for this game?

3 hours ago, alatartheblue42 said:

Congratulations!

It was fun to follow along, even if I was basically only focusing on stuff that had Masaki or Code Geass/TTGL units (since they're the only ones I know). One day, I'll get my hands on a PS4 so I can play stuff like X (and not feel pressure to teach myself Japanese first).

Oh yeah, Simon's subpilot count must be crazy in his final form. Even having 2 or 3 pilots at once in the GBA OGs is a huge asset; I can't really imagine how ridiculous Simon must get.

Also jeez, Masaki, 115 kills? shame you can't seem to hit anything in my OG2 run without Strike on. 

SRW: Introducing a bunch of people I don't know, and making it fun~!

Simon gets something like four subpilots when all is said and done (Viral and the three on the ship he combines with).

Hope you get a PS4 soon, so you can experience the craziness that is this game~!

2 hours ago, Dayni said:

RIP Banjo and Kittan then.

Also congrats on the clear. Is 311 a particularly strong LTC for this game?

I'm guessing sub-300 would be better.  But a "true" run would use Maito/Wataru/maybe one of Amuro or Char.  Since this was a draft run, certain things were a lot harder to accomplish.