How Does Chapter Progression Work in Sacred Stones?

Jotari

So I'm trying to make a hack that combines Ephraim and Erikia's route. So say when you finish Queen of White Dunes with Eirkia, you're brought back to the world map controlling Ephraim (and vice versa). However using the proceed to Next Chapter command in the event processor doesn't seem to work. I tell the game the next chapter is Fort Ringwald, yet no chapter is open on the world map. There's just a goal on Scorched Sands telling me to go there without any actual chapter to engage in. If I tell the game to automatically go to the next chapter without the world map, it works. Only as soon as I'm finished that chapter I'm back to the world map with the game not knowing where to go next. I could work around it by removing the world map from the game completely and making every chapter progress automatically, but I feel that would remove a fundamental aspect of the game (ideally I'd like both Eirika and Ephraim on the world map simultaneously with the ability to choose your next chapter but I realize that's probably unfeasible).

7 hours ago, Jotari said:

So I'm trying to make a hack that combines Ephraim and Erikia's route. So say when you finish Queen of White Dunes with Eirkia, you're brought back to the world map controlling Ephraim (and vice versa). However using the proceed to Next Chapter command in the event processor doesn't seem to work. I tell the game the next chapter is Fort Ringwald, yet no chapter is open on the world map. There's just a goal on Scorched Sands telling me to go there without any actual chapter to engage in. If I tell the game to automatically go to the next chapter without the world map, it works. Only as soon as I'm finished that chapter I'm back to the world map with the game not knowing where to go next. I could work around it by removing the world map from the game completely and making every chapter progress automatically, but I feel that would remove a fundamental aspect of the game (ideally I'd like both Eirika and Ephraim on the world map simultaneously with the ability to choose your next chapter but I realize that's probably unfeasible).

I think the game is trying to load both at the same time, ephraim and erika chapters are different even after scorched sands, I imagine that there are two versions of fort ringwald to load but the game doesn't know which to use due to having both erika and ephraim's routes at the same time.

oops, sorry, I think the game is trying to force scorched sands because scorched sands is forced after queen of white dunes, my recommendation. don't let the player play queen of white dunes until after ephraim's route is done (I think grado keep), besides, contriving a way to force erika not to cross into jehana is way easier than contriving why the grado remnant is just twiddling their thumbs waiting for ephraim to arrive before finishing off erika's group.

Edited by thecrimsonflash

On 1/20/2019 at 3:23 AM, thecrimsonflash said:

I think the game is trying to load both at the same time, ephraim and erika chapters are different even after scorched sands, I imagine that there are two versions of fort ringwald to load but the game doesn't know which to use due to having both erika and ephraim's routes at the same time.

oops, sorry, I think the game is trying to force scorched sands because scorched sands is forced after queen of white dunes, my recommendation. don't let the player play queen of white dunes until after ephraim's route is done (I think grado keep), besides, contriving a way to force erika not to cross into jehana is way easier than contriving why the grado remnant is just twiddling their thumbs waiting for ephraim to arrive before finishing off erika's group.

No, it's not because Queen of White Dunes and Sorched Sand are linked. I tried replacing the GoTo Queen of White Dunes on Hamill Canyon and it sill loaded Jehanna on the map. The world map itself seems to remember what chapter your on regardless as to what you actually tell the game in commands.

EDIT: I managed to get around the problem using the Goto Next Chapter and Designate a Base. That comes with somekind of SW_SETNEXTLOCATION command that can override what ever the map is doing to make the next chapter destination appear. Now if I can only figure out how to add new characters to the support list then my hack would be done.

Edited by Jotari