best class in terms of birthright?

hatsumi

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spoiler

You get a Wyvern Lord later on. And a Ryoma.

Aside from that, classes like the Spear Master, Blacksmith (make Hinata one, not Rinkah), Great Master, Master of Arms, and Hoshido Noble can work fine, I guess. You do not have many options for tanking.

I will tell you that the Guard Naginata helps a lot, too.

I mean, knight is the tankiest class, but it's not ideal.

Promote to great knight either from knight or cavalier, and then you'll be a tank that can move around a lot and use all sorts of good weapons.  You could obtain WTA against any enemy as a great knight.  All the wyvern classes are also fairly tanky.  Or of course, you could also take my recommendation in the other thread and become a dark knight.  That's a reasonably tanky class.

If you want to hear about tanky Hoshidan classes, the ones that Azure listed plus Merchant are all pretty decent.  Roughly about as tough as the dark knight class, they are.  You could also try using the Adamant Club, Guard Naginata, Horse Spirit, Beast Rune, and, if you can obtain them, the Nohrian Blade and Jakob's Tray (I'm not sure it's possible to gain these in BR in any way, though), as they all provide substantial boosts to defense.

24 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I mean, knight is the tankiest class, but it's not ideal.

Promote to great knight either from knight or cavalier, and then you'll be a tank that can move around a lot and use all sorts of good weapons.  You could obtain WTA against any enemy as a great knight.  All the wyvern classes are also fairly tanky.  Or of course, you could also take my recommendation in the other thread and become a dark knight.  That's a reasonably tanky class.

If you want to hear about tanky Hoshidan classes, the ones that Azure listed plus Merchant are all pretty decent.  Roughly about as tough as the dark knight class, they are.  You could also try using the Adamant Club, Guard Naginata, Horse Spirit, Beast Rune, and, if you can obtain them, the Nohrian Blade and Jakob's Tray (I'm not sure it's possible to gain these in BR in any way, though), as they all provide substantial boosts to defense.

Oh, I forgot about Silas and Sophie.

Yeah, Paladins and Great Knights are good, too.  Neglected to mention Oni Cheiftains.

Master Ninjas, War Priestesses, and, to an extent, Onmyojis work well as Res tanks. 

45 minutes ago, DiogoJorge said:

For tanking purposes? Easily Oni Savage. Unless Sorcerors, which Ninjas are best for.

I would disagree - Knights, Great Knights, and Wyverns are as good or better than the Oni Savage line.

3 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

I would disagree - Knights, Great Knights, and Wyverns are as good or better than the Oni Savage line.

Don't see how. Great Knights have acess to 3 weapons, so that's somewhat understandable, but Blacksmith can use 2, so it's not a huge advantage. Knights have the less movement and even less SPD base. MOV isn't a big issue by itself, but SPD is somewhat. Wyverns are weak against arrows and their DEF isn't as high, so although they can tank, the Onis usually have better DEF. Also, Chieftains have Death Blow, allowing you to create reliable critical rates with a killer weapon.

Edited by DiogoJorge

I think this topic is kind off weird since what makes a character is partly based on their class but tell me, what's the difference for speed of a Cavalier with 9 speed and 40% growth and a Wyvern with 9 speed and 40% growth? None, unless this is asking what generic class is better for the enemies with their stats but it isn't so it's a really weird question to ask because classes are more of a template for creating a unit but it doesn't change stats (excluding stat caps)

I think what you're asking for is which is the best character in which I can't help you.

EDIT: @DiogoJorge Obviously Effie tanks more than Rinkah and also another reason Great knights are meh is because paladins have more mov and with 3 weapon ranks it's kinda hard to balance the rank between each and when you do it makes it so you can't use higher tier weapons for any of those, so you really should only want 2 weapon ranks on a unit.

Edited by Critical Sniper

7 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

I think this topic is kind off weird since what makes a character is partly based on their class but tell me, what's the difference for speed of a Cavalier with 9 speed and 40% growth and a Wyvern with 9 speed and 40% growth? None, unless this is asking what generic class is better for the enemies with their stats but it isn't so it's a really weird question to ask because classes are more of a template for creating a unit but it doesn't change stats (excluding stat caps)

I think what you're asking for is which is the best character in which I can't help you.

I'm asking about a good class to start with for tanking purposes whether it be physical or magical, as I'm starting a new file, rather than actual units! Thank you btw!

And thank you to the other posters as well.

1 minute ago, hatsumi said:

I'm asking about a good class to start with for tanking purposes whether it be physical or magical, as I'm starting a new file, rather than actual units! Thank you btw!

Well, looking at units' own stats are more important but knight is obviously first.

Also don't post twice in a row. It's against the rules.

1 minute ago, Critical Sniper said:

Well, looking at units' own stats are more important but knight is obviously first.

Also don't post twice in a row. It's against the rules.

I understand. I'm very new to the series so I am very curious about classes in general perspective.

Also, I accidentally posted another comment. How do I delete within the forum? I am very new to this, my apologies ^^ 

1 minute ago, hatsumi said:

Also, I accidentally posted another comment. How do I delete within the forum? I am very new to this, my apologies ^^ 

you cant, report yourselso the admins see it or tag @eclipse

I. . .think I zapped the right post?

Anyway, feel free to Report your own accidental double-posts.  We know the forum software can be a bit weird, and we'll just get rid of them (when I'm actually on).

5 minutes ago, eclipse said:

I. . .think I zapped the right post?

The first post didn't quote me so I guess that's why OP (Original poster @hatsumi) made the same post twice. Well anyway the idea of zapping a post is funny.

Edited by Critical Sniper

2 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

Don't see how. Great Knights have acess to 3 weapons, so that's somewhat understandable, but Blacksmith can use 2, so it's not a huge advantage. Knights have the less movement and even less SPD base. MOV isn't a big issue by itself, but SPD is somewhat. Wyverns are weak against arrows and their DEF isn't as high, so although they can tank, the Onis usually have better DEF. Also, Chieftains have Death Blow, allowing you to create reliable critical rates with a killer weapon.

Because Oni Savage has barely any worthwhile skills in its class tree (Seal Resistance is crap, Shove is situational, Death Blow is meh, Salvage Blow is a wasted skill slot, Counter's crap, which leaves Lancebreaker as the only good skill they get. Too bad it's a level 15 skill). It's also axe infantry, and we all know how good they aren't. Oni Chieftain especially is a bad class with an awkward weapon combination, and Death Blow doesn't make up for this (reliable crit chances with a killer weapon would mean a damn if killer weapons were worth using, which they aren't).

7 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

Because Oni Savage has barely any worthwhile skills in its class tree (Seal Resistance is crap, Shove is situational, Death Blow is meh, Salvage Blow is a wasted skill slot, Counter's crap, which leaves Lancebreaker as the only good skill they get. Too bad it's a level 15 skill). It's also axe infantry, and we all know how good they aren't. Oni Chieftain especially is a bad class with an awkward weapon combination, and Death Blow doesn't make up for this (reliable crit chances with a killer weapon would mean a damn if killer weapons were worth using, which they aren't).

Not really. Death Blows is pretty great since it allows you to erase enemies with around 60% chance, they also function during player phase, meaning there's little risk of accidentally killing more than planned during enemy phase, and Seal RES is decent, since it helps your mages cause extra damage next turn after the Oni tanks.

Axe users are good though, better than their usual fighter selves from GBA series.

Oni Chieftain is a good class, specially if used by a proper unit with both the  SKL and DEF for it, like Rinkah or Saizo for instance.

They are worth using though, 4x critical damage + better chance of crit, meaning instant death to virtually any enemy unless they have really high DEF. I will take that over having bow weaknesses and a slight boost to STR and definetely over slow knights.

EDIT: @DiogoJorge Obviously Effie tanks more than Rinkah and also another reason Great knights are meh is because paladins have more mov and with 3 weapon ranks it's kinda hard to balance the rank between each and when you do it makes it so you can't use higher tier weapons for any of those, so you really should only want 2 weapon ranks on a unit.

Effie isn't in BR, and even if she was, she has less DEF growth than Rinkah. Rinkah is also faster. Effie is about equal to Rinkah, since she makes up for it by having more STR, but for tanking purposes, Rinkah is superior. Since neither has good RES nor HP.

Thus, blacksmith might be preferable over great knight, if that's the case. Mind you, a single arms scroll solves the great knight problem, that's what I usually do. The great knight is really the only class I see being superior to Oni for tanking purposes, since everything else is about equal or inferior to Oni. A single point less in MOV is hardly noteworthy, I use units for their stats mostly, MOV is usually second fiddle to that.

Edited by DiogoJorge

3 hours ago, DiogoJorge said:

Not really. Death Blows is pretty great since it allows you to erase enemies with around 60% chance, they also function during player phase, meaning there's little risk of accidentally killing more than planned during enemy phase, and Seal RES is decent, since it helps your mages cause extra damage next turn after the Oni tanks.

Axe users are good though, better than their usual fighter selves from GBA series.

Oni Chieftain is a good class, specially if used by a proper unit with both the  SKL and DEF for it, like Rinkah or Saizo for instance.

They are worth using though, 4x critical damage + better chance of crit, meaning instant death to virtually any enemy unless they have really high DEF. I will take that over having bow weaknesses and a slight boost to STR and definetely over slow knights.

I doubt it - it only works once a turn, and 20 extra crit isn't that much. As if that weren't enough, critical hits very seldom do anything meaningful for the player. As for Seal Resistance.... *laughs* It would actually be useful if Birthright had any worthwhile mages, which it doesn't (I'll pass on feeble and slow Orochi, inaccurate Rhajat, and underleveled Hayato, thank you very much).

HA HA HA HA HA... Are you trying to make me laugh? Fates is pretty much an all-time low for foot axes, with how much of a joke Rinkah, Arthur and Charlotte are. The only worthwhile axe units in the game are Camilla and Scarlet.

Except it isn't - you still have the awkward weapon combination and the fact that axes and clubs are the worst weapon type overall.

I'd have a better chance of getting struck by lightning or finding a needle in a haystack than finding killer weapons in Fates to actually be worth using - quadruple damage on crit doesn't make up for the power loss if I don't get the critical hit. Needless to say, non-critical hits are far more common than critical hits.

Edited by Shadow Mir

52 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

I doubt it - it only works once a turn, and 20 extra crit isn't that much. As if that weren't enough, critical hits very seldom do anything meaningful for the player. As for Seal Resistance.... *laughs* It would actually be useful if Birthright had any worthwhile mages, which it doesn't (I'll pass on feeble and slow Orochi, inaccurate Rhajat, and underleveled Hayato, thank you very much).

HA HA HA HA HA... Are you trying to make me laugh? Fates is pretty much an all-time low for foot axes, with how much of a joke Rinkah, Arthur and Charlotte are. The only worthwhile axe units in the game are Camilla and Scarlet.

Except it isn't - you still have the awkward weapon combination and the fact that axes and clubs are the worst weapon type overall.

I'd have a better chance of getting struck by lightning or finding a needle in a haystack than finding killer weapons in Fates to actually be worth using - quadruple damage on crit doesn't make up for the power loss if I don't get the critical hit. Needless to say, non-critical hits are far more common than critical hits.

Felicia says otherwise. Early mage right there as a strategist.

No. Entirely serious. I'm pretty sure we are talking about BR here as the topic title says. And Rinkah is hardly a joke with her monstrous 65% DEF and 55% SPD as well a personal that increases her damage by 4 if she is so much scratched. Scarlet is inferior to Rinkah though, so if she's a joke, what that makes Scarlet, who cannot support anything not named Corrin and has inferior DEF to a lv 1 Chieftain Rinkah? Camilla isn't part of BR, but assuming REV, I see little reason to not use Rinkah there even if Camilla is slightly superior. You are free to use both if you want.

How? Axes are powerfull and are effective against lance users. They aren't the be all and end all, but they do great against Paladins and Great Knights, which are a good part of the enemies in the later chapters. The worst weapon is hard to say, but even if it was axes, they aren't that far from the best weapon type either, since most weapons have similiar uses due to how pretty much any weapon type that isn't magic has the ranged and non ranged variants.

Scarlet has a killer axe, pass it to Rinkah, there, done. They are easy to buy via castle. Even if a killer weapon doesn't crit, it still causes more damage than a iron weapon and almost the same as a steel one (which by the way increases the SPD needed for doubling.)

24 minutes ago, DiogoJorge said:

Felicia says otherwise. Early mage right there as a strategist.

Point taken, but not everyone plays as a male.

No. Entirely serious. I'm pretty sure we are talking about BR here as the topic title says. And Rinkah is hardly a joke with her monstrous 65% DEF and 55% SPD as well a personal that increases her damage by 4 if she is so much scratched. Scarlet is inferior to Rinkah though, so if she's a joke, what that makes Scarlet, who cannot support anything not named Corrin and has inferior DEF to a lv 1 Chieftain Rinkah? Camilla isn't part of BR, but assuming REV, I see little reason to not use Rinkah there even if Camilla is slightly superior. You are free to use both if you want.

I'm thinking more about Fates as a whole (as in, all three games), else I wouldn't have seen the need to mention the others. And yes, Rinkah counts as a joke when her non-defense and speed stats tend to be rather poor.

How? Axes are powerfull and are effective against lance users. They aren't the be all and end all, but they do great against Paladins and Great Knights, which are a good part of the enemies in the later chapters. The worst weapon is hard to say, but even if it was axes, they aren't that far from the best weapon type either, since most weapons have similiar uses due to how pretty much any weapon type that isn't magic has the ranged and non ranged variants.

They're also inaccurate, which is not good. Clubs are instead weak. And about the only worthwhile axe is the Hammer.

Scarlet has a killer axe, pass it to Rinkah, there, done. They are easy to buy via castle. Even if a killer weapon doesn't crit, it still causes more damage than a iron weapon and almost the same as a steel one (which by the way increases the SPD needed for doubling.)

Which would require me to lower my standards to the point where killer weapons are worth using, and if you think that's happening, you've got another think coming.

Bold: Bullshit. Killer weapons have the same might as unforged iron (or less, in the case of the bow), and 3-4 less might than steel, depending on the weapon type. Also, you cannot buy weapons that are limited in supply at other castles.

Edited by Shadow Mir

8 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Point taken, but not everyone plays as a male.

I'm thinking more about Fates as a whole (as in, all three games), else I wouldn't have seen the need to mention the others. And yes, Rinkah counts as a joke when her non-defense and speed stats tend to be rather poor.

They're also inaccurate, which is not good. Clubs are instead weak. And about the only worthwhile axe is the Hammer.

Which would require me to lower my standards to the point where killer weapons are worth using, and if you think that's happening, you've got another think coming.

Bold: Bullshit. Killer weapons have the same might as unforged iron (or less, in the case of the bow), and 3-4 less might than steel, depending on the weapon type. Also, you cannot buy weapons that are limited in supply at other castles.

Okay, no problem, I still have little trouble leveling Hayato, thanks to paralogues.

Actually, her only poor stats are RES and HP somewhat if Chieftain route. Her HP is easily fixed with a HP tonic which has the added benefit of activating her personal. And in REV she can support Charllote to get acess to her best class, Berserker, wich also fixes her HP. In BR she doesn't even need to boost her HP at all, since physical enemies cause chip damage to her.

Units like Rinkah have plenty of SKL, specially Arthur, so their accuracy is hardly a problem for those.

I don't have to lower my standards either, since they are still better than using iron weapons.

What's with the hostility all of sudden? Care to explain that outburst of yours? But I suppose you are right, I was under the impression that they had slightly better MT due to the other FEs. But I will still take extra crit over no crit rate at all.

Actually, her only poor stats are RES and HP somewhat if Chieftain route. Her HP is easily fixed with a HP tonic which has the added benefit of activating her personal. And in REV she can support Charllote to get acess to her best class, Berserker, wich also fixes her HP. In BR she doesn't even need to boost her HP at all, since physical enemies cause chip damage to her.

Yay for fielding more bad units... Rinkah's bad enough, but fielding two foot axes with next to no redeeming features just so one can get a lame class??? Forget it. The only thing Rinkah and Charlotte are good for is being pair up fodder.

Units like Rinkah have plenty of SKL, specially Arthur, so their accuracy is hardly a problem for those.

Too bad that Arthur's one of the worst foot axes to disgrace a FE game, eh? Being an active detriment to the team does that to you. Rinkah is not much better.

I don't have to lower my standards either, since they are still better than using iron weapons.

What's with the hostility all of sudden? Care to explain that outburst of yours? But I suppose you are right, I was under the impression that they had slightly better MT due to the other FEs. But I will still take extra crit over no crit rate at all.

That's why I do my research - so I don't make silly mistakes like that. Anyhow, I consider a steel weapon or a +2 iron better than a killer weapon because the extra damage they do is guaranteed, as opposed to the extra damage on critical hits.

52 minutes ago, Shadow Mir said:

Yay for fielding more bad units... Rinkah's bad enough, but fielding two foot axes with next to no redeeming features just so one can get a lame class??? Forget it. The only thing Rinkah and Charlotte are good for is being pair up fodder.

Too bad that Arthur's one of the worst foot axes to disgrace a FE game, eh? Being an active detriment to the team does that to you. Rinkah is not much better.

That's why I do my research - so I don't make silly mistakes like that. Anyhow, I consider a steel weapon or a +2 iron better than a killer weapon because the extra damage they do is guaranteed, as opposed to the extra damage on critical hits.

You didn't explain what that outburst was all about, but if that's how it's going to be, then don't blame me for showing hostility at some point as well.

Rinkah isn't bad though. I would sooner use Gunter than use Rinkah as pair-up fodder. Rinkah is meant to be in the frontlines most of the time, only being a support unit when Kaze or Takumi needs it, which isn't that often since they have plenty of alternatives. Charlotte gets Blacksmith from the pairing and as result, ends up being an extra tank due to high HP and having passable DEF as well synchronizing well with the Hero class. They also make a pretty good team, due to Rinkah being a tank, while Charllotte is raw damage and HP, so they can switch around as the need for one thing arises.

Arthur has some DEF as well, so even if he gets crit, as long as he tanks, he doesn't care. One can also make him a cavalier and boost his DEF further, making criticals less of a issue, not to mention that there's little competition for the Goddess icons and you use a good deal of them on him. Rinkah is actually better, there's a significant difference due to her having better DEF and not having Arhtur's bad critical dodge. Normally, I prefer Charllotte over him, since Rinkah already has the DEF part covered and Arthur's is lesser so than hers.

It's precisely because I did my own research that I use Rinkah. Steel weapons make it so that you need 8 SPD more to double, so most of the time you should use another weapon, unless the unit is very fast like Kaze or Selena. While with a great critical chance and doubling drastically increases the chances of erasure, as long as you plan around them failing, almost guaranteed crits are good.

Edited by DiogoJorge

You didn't explain what that outburst was all about, but if that's how it's going to be, then don't blame me for showing hostility at some point as well.

Rinkah isn't bad though. I would sooner use Gunter than use Rinkah as pair-up fodder. Rinkah is meant to be in the frontlines most of the time, only being a support unit when Kaze or Takumi needs it, which isn't that often since they have plenty of alternatives. Charlotte gets Blacksmith from the pairing and as result, ends up being an extra tank due to high HP and having passable DEF as well synchronizing well with the Hero class. They also make a pretty good team, due to Rinkah being a tank, while Charllotte is raw damage and HP, so they can switch around as the need for one thing arises.

Arthur has some DEF as well, so even if he gets crit, as long as he tanks, he doesn't care. One can also make him a cavalier and boost his DEF further, making criticals less of a issue, not to mention that there's little competition for the Goddess icons and you use a good deal of them on him. Rinkah is actually better, there's a significant difference due to her having better DEF and not having Arhtur's bad critical dodge. Normally, I prefer Charllotte over him, since Rinkah already has the DEF part covered and Arthur's is lesser so than hers.

It's precisely because I did my own research that I use Rinkah. Steel weapons make it so that you need 8 SPD more to double, so most of the time you should use another weapon, unless the unit is very fast like Kaze or Selena. While with a great critical chance and doubling drastically increases the chances of erasure, as long as you plan around them failing, almost guaranteed crits are good.

If you interpreted it as hostile, then I apologize, but it was not my intent to come off that way. I'm just stern when it comes to debates.

The issue is, her low HP compromises her ability to tank when the stuff that really warrants a good tank comes along, which is why I would much rather use an HP boon Corrin to tank. Charlotte is pigeonholed into the role that myrmidons tend to end up in (ergo, she's a squishy melee unit who struggles to stay alive on the frontlines, and doesn't bring much else to the table). Her coming underleveled does not help her case, either.

The issue is, his poor crit evade makes his otherwise respectable durability subpar in practice. His garbage tier personal skill only makes things worse, as it means that even with Goddess Icons, he goes from facing crit chances from everything under the sun to... facing crit chances from everything under the sun, AKA no improvement. I'd much rather give them to someone who actually gets anything worth a damn out of them, like Kaze or Selena. Also, Rinkah's crit evade may not be nonexistent like Arthur's is, but it's not much better.

Personally, Rinkah's stat leanings are why I don't bother with her - she is not good for much else besides taking hits, and she isn't even good at that (FFS, her strength and HP growths are worse than frigging Sakura!). And while I do agree with your point on steel weapons, I generally don't see killer weapons as very reliable since the crit chance is most likely gonna be VERY far from "almost guaranteed". It doesn't help that as far as the player's concerned, critical hits are gratuitous overkill pretty much ten times out of ten.

Edited by Shadow Mir

12 hours ago, Shadow Mir said:

If you interpreted it as hostile, then I apologize, but it was not my intent to come off that way. I'm just stern when it comes to debates.

The issue is, her low HP compromises her ability to tank when the stuff that really warrants a good tank comes along, which is why I would much rather use an HP boon Corrin to tank. Charlotte is pigeonholed into the role that myrmidons tend to end up in (ergo, she's a squishy melee unit who struggles to stay alive on the frontlines, and doesn't bring much else to the table). Her coming underleveled does not help her case, either.

The issue is, his poor crit evade makes his otherwise respectable durability subpar in practice. His garbage tier personal skill only makes things worse, as it means that even with Goddess Icons, he goes from facing crit chances from everything under the sun to... facing crit chances from everything under the sun, AKA no improvement. I'd much rather give them to someone who actually gets anything worth a damn out of them, like Kaze or Selena. Also, Rinkah's crit evade may not be nonexistent like Arthur's is, but it's not much better.

Personally, Rinkah's stat leanings are why I don't bother with her - she is not good for much else besides taking hits, and she isn't even good at that (FFS, her strength and HP growths are worse than frigging Sakura!). And while I do agree with your point on steel weapons, I generally don't see killer weapons as very reliable since the crit chance is most likely gonna be VERY far from "almost guaranteed". It doesn't help that as far as the player's concerned, critical hits are gratuitous overkill pretty much ten times out of ten.

Okay, no problem, apology accepted, just be a bit more careful.

She has somewhat mediocre to average HP, but that never stopped me, specially in BR. In REV, she almost always goes the Berserker route, so she isn't too concerned about HP there either.

I use Corrin to tank too as a Paladin or Hero with a DEF boon, but I am not the type to be satisfied with only one tank. My main tanks are usually Corrin, Rinkah, Oboro or Hinoka (or both in BR) and Silas, specially REV Silas.

Myrmidons usually don't have the monstrous HP that Charllote has, so her lack of DEF isn't exactly as bad as Hana's case. DEF is definetely more important than HP, but when one has so much that it allows one to survive everything with 2-3 hits, than she does a passable job at surviving. Of course, since she kills enemies easily, she rarely has to concern herself to suffer an enemy phase against them, also helps that Rinkah boosts her STR and DEF further if they work as a team.

Well, I suppose he's not that great, I rarely use him, since Charllote is usually better and doesn't have the same drawbacks. But I assume that he would be decent at least due to his SKL growth and DEF growth on top of good HP as well and the little competition for goddess icons. Rinkah rarely is criticalled, since pair ups usually reduce criticals to almost non-existant levels, only enemies with a lot of SKL have any chance of crit against her.

Suit yourself, I'm not trying to force you to use Rinkah. Considering her personal and her overall growths as  a Oni or a Berserker, rarely had any reasons to complain about her stats.