How would you feel if all the DLC was 3rd Party?

Jedi

I know the 3rd party characters have caused some controversy for some, and anguish for others, (I vividly remember some arguments back in the Smash 4 discussions). 

But how would you feel if the DLC ends up being all 3rd party with Joker starting it all off officially?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm fine with Joker because technically the Persona series has been on Nintendo platforms before (Persona Q for the 3DS + some future games?) and Persona is a big enough series that it is great from a marketing standpoint. However, the "future installments" part of this argument does bring about an issue of popular franchises "buying" their way into Smash as a way to market their game coming out on Switch. It's not a bad business idea, but I wonder how fan reactions would be.

I would take issue if the character's franchise has never been on a Nintendo platform, i.e. Velvet from Odin's Sphere. Although I love Velvet and she's an awesome character, her inclusion into Smash Bros wouldn't be good because Odin's Sphere has never been available on a Nintendo platform.

I'd be a bit annoyed, because I feel like there are a lot of first parties that deserve to be in, such as Bandana Dee, a new Zelda rep like Sidon or one of the Champions, an Advance Wars rep, etc.

Though, if the DLC is 3/5 in favour of third parties, then that's fine. Besides, we could always get a second wave of DLC.

I don't want them all to be third party, but I could live with it. Mostly it depends on how much the characters in question "deserve" to be included in a Nintendo crossover, as there are still Nintendo characters who I feel should be included.

14 minutes ago, Lau said:

I'd be a bit annoyed, because I feel like there are a lot of first parties that deserve to be in, such as Bandana Dee, a new Zelda rep like Sidon or one of the Champions, an Advance Wars rep, etc.

Though, if the DLC is 3/5 in favour of third parties, then that's fine. Besides, we could always get a second wave of DLC.

4 minutes ago, Michelaar said:

I'd be annoyed. At the end of the day this is still a Nintendo game. And I want to see Nintendo characters.

I can see the annoyance however I do have my own thoughts on this, I feel that pretty much the main "All Stars" have been in since Brawl, not to discredit those who've come after of course, but I feel like this has become more a celebration of gaming as much as Sakurai and Nintendo can make it. 

I fully understand annoyance with some franchises like Golden Sun, AW and such not "getting attention" however from a marketing standpoint I think focusing on 3rd parties would draw the most new players in. Heck when Cloud got announced for 4, several friends of mine who were mostly Sony or PC gamers got a Wii U just to play as Cloud in Smash Bros.

I'm honestly surprised Joker didn't draw more ire than it did from the more mainline SMT crowd (which I consider myself part of even with my like of Persona, 5 and 2 in particular.) Because mainline SMT has pretty much always been on Ninty (besides 3) and Persona has been mainly on Sony besides spinoffs.

6 minutes ago, IS Bath Salts HQ said:

I can see the annoyance however I do have my own thoughts on this, I feel that pretty much the main "All Stars" have been in since Brawl, not to discredit those who've come after of course, but I feel like this has become more a celebration of gaming as much as Sakurai and Nintendo can make it. 

I fully understand annoyance with some franchises like Golden Sun, AW and such not "getting attention" however from a marketing standpoint I think focusing on 3rd parties would draw the most new players in. Heck when Cloud got announced for 4, several friends of mine who were mostly Sony or PC gamers got a Wii U just to play as Cloud in Smash Bros.

I'm honestly surprised Joker didn't draw more ire than it did from the more mainline SMT crowd (which I consider myself part of even with my like of Persona, 5 and 2 in particular.) Because mainline SMT has pretty much always been on Ninty (besides 3) and Persona has been mainly on Sony besides spinoffs.

Oh yeah It's definitly good for business/exposure. Undoubtly has Joker's inclusion has brought in tons of people (I know of such people.). I love Persona 5 myself and i'm happy to see it represented in smash. It's most likely also personal nitpicking cause I mostly play Nintendo games and not much else. It would be weird to see like, kratos (from god of war, that's his name right) in Smash.

Just now, Michelaar said:

Oh yeah It's definitly good for business/exposure. Undoubtly has Joker's inclusion has brought in tons of people (I know of such people.). I love Persona 5 myself and i'm happy to see it represented in smash. It's most likely also personal nitpicking cause I mostly play Nintendo games and not much else. It would be weird to see like, kratos (from god of war, that's his name right) in Smash.

Kratos yeah, you got it right. He would be strange, although rumor mill suggests a possibly stranger possibility (not that I fully buy it yet).

5 hours ago, Michelaar said:

It would be weird to see like, kratos (from god of war, that's his name right) in Smash.

Based on their attitude towards cross play, I think Sony is the only video game company in the world that wouldn't want one of their characters in Smash. Even Microsoft wants the good publicity that a Smash character would bring.

I suppose I'd be a bit miffed, but seeing as Smash seems to want to branch out into celebrating not just Nintendo history, but gaming history in its own way, I'd take the trade-off.

still really kind of hoping for Erdrick.

I have no problem with Smash having third party characters (heck starting out as a huge Sonic fan around Brawl and not knowing  much of many of the other franchises at the time really was part of what drew me into the series, along with the SSE).
The more the merrier I say.
That being said, apart from Cave Story Quote, most characters I want in Smash right now are from serieses (third party or first) which are already present in Smash

Edited by Arcphoenix

I'd be annoyed, because like people said, there are still first party characters that deserve to be in. Dixie Kong, a new Zelda rep like Vaati, Arms character, Xenoblade 2's Rex, etc. These guys should be considered before ANY third parties. This is a game celebrating Nintendo games and franchises. I would only consider third parties at all if they have had a notable history on Nintendo consoles, like how Sonic has been on several now. And both Bayonetta games have been too.

I honestly wouldn’t mind but I would prefer if the characters are actually relevant to Nintendo history. I have nothing against characters like Rayman, Arle, Phoenix Wright, Crash or Banjo Kazooie. I’m even cool with Sora even if I don’t play KH. And after playing Travis Strikes Again I’ve also warmed up to Travis.

While I’m not against the idea of promotional 3rd parties, I can’t get excited for characters I’m barely familiar with, like Dante or Minecraft Steve. So I would prefer if there is some form of Nintendo relevance for 3rd parties. 

But hey, I unironically want Just Dancer in Smash, so what do I know?

It depends on the choices. 

If we get 3rd party characters that have been on Nintendo platforms and bring in unique stages with high quality music, I'd actually prefer that to more first party reps.

A highly requested first party rep like Bandana Dee would be okay, but has little value overall compared to getting stages and music from say... Dragon Quest, NieR, Doom, The Elder Scrolls, Ninja Gaiden, Phoenix Wright, Tales, Banjo Kazooie, or any of the other popularly speculated third parties (except for Minecraft. Fuck the very idea of paying for Minecraft DLC).

Also, in terms of historical significance, very few requested first party characters are even comparable to third party characters. Ninja Gaiden was a highly influential platformer. Doom is basically the grandfather of the shooter genre. Banjo & Kazooie and Rare represent the Nintendo 64 era better than almost any Nintendo franchise (arguably even more than Super Mario 64). Nier Automata is the best game by Nintendo's partners at Platinum, and is an example of game design genius on par with Persona 5 that deserves to be remembered. Dragon Quest is the great Japanese past time. Etc.

And compared to that, Bandana Dee, Walluigi, and Dixie Kong would just be moderately decent reps from already represented franchises. 

So yeah. Put me into the all 3rd party crowd, because they simply have so much more to add.

Edited by Etheus

I would be a little dissapointed if we end up with all 3rd party DLC. There should be room for at least a FE Three Houses representative or for a late Xeno2/ARMS rep, don't you think? 
The synergy just makes too much sense. This is also true for 3rd party games but from Nintendo's point of view it should be more attractive to double down on marketing your own new Switch releases. 

Also, don't we technically already have 1st party DLC in form of Piranha Plant, kinda? ;) 

8 minutes ago, Eqstrian819 said:

I wouldn’t particularly like it honestly since this a primarily Nintendo character-based game but I wouldn’t mind seeing characters such as Amaterasu from Ōkami and Spyro since their games were recently ported to the Switch and remade, respectively.

I have always wanted Spyro! Eagerly awaiting Reignited on Switch, because it isn't here yet. Amaterasu would be a good one too.

Considering Smash 4's DLC newcomers, people should be expecting DLC to be mostly 3rd party. It being entirely 3rd party is perfectly within the realm of reasonableness.

That said, I do personally believe that there is at least one first party character-- due to the fact that the character selection wasn't fully decided until after the game went gold and we got the November direct. Could just be a 3rd party cutting it close, though.

17 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Considering Smash 4's DLC newcomers, people should be expecting DLC to be mostly 3rd party. It being entirely 3rd party is perfectly within the realm of reasonableness.

That said, I do personally believe that there is at least one first party character-- due to the fact that the character selection wasn't fully decided until after the game went gold and we got the November direct. Could just be a 3rd party cutting it close, though.

I interpret that to mean that a negotiation with a third party developer was underway, but the specific character to be chosen from that 3rd party wasn't decided yet.

And with everything we know (or think we know), I strongly suspect that Square was the last 3rd party to decide upon a character, as they have so many in contention.

I'd be happy. There are characters like Banjo, Erdrick who deserve to be in smash and had their beginning on Nintendo. Same with Hayabusa, after Simon got in he also deserves some place an would have a nice moveset.

If it is first party I would take Dixie Kong over Bandana Dee. Or someone like King Boo.

And lets be honest, some of us will be disappointed anyway. A Dragon Quest character is very likely for another Square-Enix character in my opinion. And its just so unpopular outside of japan, but in japan it still sells big. Of course here would be some disappointed because it is not Sora or a Nier Charakter, but it could also go the other way around.
For Comparison, Dragon Quest 11 sold around 4 million copies world wide and Nier: Automata around 3 million. (Numbers should be more now).

There are so many gamers with different favorites. If it is on me I would have been happy if a character from Nihon Falcom comes into the game. xD But that is out of question considering the sales are still not enough. At least I believe that the popularity of the games has much to say, even Banjo would still be a surprise. At worst we have Steve from Minecraft..which would just be meh for me.

Edit: I just forgot that Square-Enix is only the publisher of Nier, Platinum games is the developer.

Edited by Stroud

One on hand, the possible 3rd party characters we could get is huge in this game and would likely shatter the hype meters. But on the other hand, i'd be disappointed if all the DLC newcomers were 3rd parties again. At it's core, Smash Bros is still a Nintendo themed game. As long as we have at least two Nintendo DLC newcomers, i'd be fine.

I think at least one DLC character will be first party, because the Mother series is turning 30 this year and Porky, a major antagonist in two games, is suspiciously absent from the list of Spirits from the Mother series.

Edited by Water Mage