Robin!Inigo anyone?

ArgentSable

Yep, one of these chats.

So, I've replayed Awakening, for what, the millionth time? And I had recently finished Fates once more on a friends whim (we had a small competition to collect supports since we got Amiibo booklets and whatnot). And upon playing the games, opposed to what I normally do, I decided to do pairings based on story merit, or at least the most hints that are humanly possible. There were obviously some that I couldn't finish deciding. But when I finished doing what I understood best I got to Olivia and it was just Robin and her. At first I was all for marrying some other non story character, but upon something a friend of mine told me, my PoV changed a bit and stuck em together (and it's stuck that way for some time now).

So, as far as I can tell, to be Inigo seems like a very plausible candidate for Robin's son. Reasons? Well, Inigo's father must be close to Chrom for the support to make sense. Chrom himself I believe should be with Sumia. Plenty of early game hints and CG's point to their pairing rather heavily, not as heavy as say, Ninian x Eliwood, but still heavy enough that the opening CG has them holding baby Lucina together, so yeah, if it weren't for that I'd be more willing to debate the whole Chrom x Olivia thing. Furthermore, if I do recall from recently reading this, Inigo's father get's angry at him (or is at least annoyed/worried) due to him having missed the war meeting just to flirt with a girl. I find that of the few people to compare people, and or get angry at a tactical meeting to me would be Robin. It feels natural given that he makes these entire meetings just to make sure everything is as perfect as can be (given his ultimate tactician extraordinaire status). But, that doesn't mean much still, Frederick could fit either basis for said criteria right here and now, so what separates this pairing from the others you may ask, since that's the important point here. Well, let's go look at unique situations in Awakening.

First off, it's the recruiting chapter for Inigo, where I got a weird vibe. You see, in most recruiting chapters, Robin is not to be seen, only the mother, and perhaps Chrom is to be seen, who may or may not speak to the mother (whereas Cynthia's is a unique mission since Chrom is part of the recruiting). In this mission, Robin and Olivia are the ones that interact, which is a unique situation, that I found rather cool, but that didn't sway me enough, I was still adamant in believing Robin was still not paired to anyone. And then I read the amiibo supports in Fates. While Owain an Selena either don't recognize Robin, or don't believe it to be him for real respectively, Inigo can instantly tell it's him, which to me was rather odd. This is further made strange as Inigo states that Robin could always see through him, and how they're old friends. This also struck me as strange, but I shrugged off the old friend remark and focused on the prior phrase, which focused on "seeing through him". I didn't really understand what he meant by that, but my friend kinda had an idea.

Inigo's entire character is based off of hiding who he really is. Hiding his personality, his reason for being the way he is, and all the pain he feels. That's who he is. But the only people to truly know his pain, are the other children, Olivia, Soleil, his eventual wife in Fates, and his father. Now, I once more didn't believe jack, but after hearing the explanation it made more sense. Inigo was relating to his potential parental support. And this was rather strange since Robin, in their friend supports, make no mention to the effective way Inigo really is, only talking and watching him hit on girls 24/7. Seeing this, I had to go for it. I just made sense from there on out. And it felt like it just fit so well.

Also he's super broken as Robin's kid so I can't really say that I wouldn't use him either way given how busted he is if you do a children only run! XD

The only thing I can say is I would never give M!Robin such an ineffective wife who is so frail she'd spend entire maps sitting behind one of the best units in the game, while making a sub-par Morgan to boot.

From a gameplay standpoint it's just not worth it.

Also if you look at support growths (another game mechanic btw), Henry is Inigo's father by default.  I.e Henry is Inigo's canon father, not Robin because Henry's support growths with Olivia have the lowest number.

If Robin was supposed to be Inigo's father for whatever reason you would want to have the quickest support growths with Olivia to Robin- Robin takes more time than Henry (a total of 18 support point iirc for Robin to get to the S support while Henry has way less), which kind of ruins any theories about Robin being anyone's father/mother.

So all of the above is a moot point.  Inigo's supports with his father are generic across the board.  It's virtually the same regardless of who Olivia marries.  Also I doubt Robin would be the type of person to go off at his son like that, unless your Robin specifically had that kind of trait.

It's the same agruement for Lucina’s mother as well.  Her "canon" mother is Sumia, whether you like it or not.

I'm a Chrobin shipper and even I know  better than to despute what is default.  All the quickest support growths are canon.  Anything else is not.  That's all there is to it.

It is up to player choice yes, but from a story perspective and by default, the developers made the choice for Henry to be Inigo's canon father.  That's all there is to it.

8 minutes ago, TheSilentChloey said:

The only thing I can say is I would never give M!Robin such an ineffective wife who is so frail she'd spend entire maps sitting behind one of the best units in the game, while making a sub-par Morgan to boot.

From a gameplay standpoint it's just not worth it.

Also if you look at support growths (another game mechanic btw), Henry is Inigo's father by default.  I.e Henry is Inigo's canon father, not Robin because Henry's support growths with Olivia have the lowest number.

If Robin was supposed to be Inigo's father for whatever reason you would want to have the quickest support growths with Olivia to Robin- Robin takes more time than Henry (a total of 18 support point iirc for Robin to get to the S support while Henry has way less), which kind of ruins any theories about Robin being anyone's father/mother.

So all of the above is a moot point.  Inigo's supports with his father are generic across the board.  It's virtually the same regardless of who Olivia marries.  Also I doubt Robin would be the type of person to go off at his son like that, unless your Robin specifically had that kind of trait.

It's the same agruement for Lucina’s mother as well.  Her "canon" mother is Sumia, whether you like it or not.

I'm a Chrobin shipper and even I know  better than to despute what is default.  All the quickest support growths are canon.  Anything else is not.  That's all there is to it.

It is up to player choice yes, but from a story perspective and by default, the developers made the choice for Henry to be Inigo's canon father.  That's all there is to it.

I don't think support growths have a lot to do. They sit beside the growths yes, but there's default hints to who the parent could be for any pairing.

For example, Vaike and Lissa have high growths, but Owain mentions his father having taken an arrow, which is shown in Lon'Qu's supports with her supports. Cordelia and Gaius could make sense because Severa seems to bargain with Coredlia for sweets, Maribelle and Donnel makes sense because of the accent, which Ricken doesn't have, Virion makes sense with Panne because Yarne says he's afraid of his dad cheating on his mother of all things, and so on and so forth.

Furthermore, assuming that we're talking about parents snapping on children, I doubt Henry of all people would barely care about Inigo's actions, but Robin slightly snapping at meeting could make slightly more sense even if it's not assured since Robin is shown to be relatively calm  most of the time, but once more, I digress.

The thing is, support growths here aren't as important as, let's say, Genealogy, where there's specific mentions of said pairings and the growths to further prove them, like the Johal bros and Larcei. Here however, there's supports that give hints to the father, via traits and other occurences, and then there's growths that do or don't contradict said arguments. So in both ways, you could see either one or the other as proof for what you see. You could link supports and find hints regarding future situations and things kids can inherit or traits their parents have, or you could just look at growths and go for them. That's up to the player.

But, if you see it that way so be it. I know plenty of people who find the growths to be just that, growths, and they take the supports with far more importance, while others swear by growths and ignore supports entirely. One thing is certain, IS hasn't specified that support growths make anything cannon at all, nor supports, so unless IS itself specifies that one or the other makes a pairing cannon, well, until then we're both stuck in Limbo.

4 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

I'm more of a RobinxCordelia shipper myself though you make a fine case though personally henry or lon'qu make the most sense as inigo's father to me. 

Yeah I could see either. My issue with Henry is their support. Henry isn't one to lash out since he's so lax 90% of the time, not to mention I find Henry and Olivia's supports rather, lacking. And Lon'Qu, he makes a bit more sense to me in the overall. If I had to make a guess besides Rob, I'd say Fred boi. I can't think of anyone else who'd lash out at Inigo for simply missing a meeting of all things.

And I really don't blame you for the Cordelia pairing. I had a hard time not marrying her due to personality alone in my early playthroughs. Probably one of my faves since she can solo most stuff and effectively has one of the most interesting kids in FE.

Edited by ArgentSable
Edited for accidentaly erased paragraph

14 minutes ago, ArgentSable said:

Yeah I could see either. My issue with Henry is their support. Henry isn't one to lash out since he's so lax 90% of the time, not to mention I find Henry and Olivia's supports rather, lacking. And Lon'Qu, he makes a bit more sense to me in the overall. If I had to make a guess besides Rob, I'd say Fred boi. I can't think of anyone else who'd lash out at Inigo for simply missing a meeting of all things.

yeah that's one of the reasons I'm pretty hesitant to ship HenryxOlivia as well. If anything Henry would be supportive of his son's flirting habits but that future past convo is by far one of, if not the best, future past convo(s) Inigo has. Frederick is another option to consider cause besides Chrom and Robin, he is by far the most likely to get mad at inigo for his shenanigans. Well lon'qu would do that to for a lesser extent anyway. Then again lon'qu wouldn't really lash out but more so express silent disappointment.

14 minutes ago, ArgentSable said:

And I really don't blame you for the Cordelia pairing. I had a hard time not marrying her due to personality alone in my early playthroughs. Probably one of my faves since she can solo most stuff and effectively has one of the most interesting kids in FE.

Yeah I just love that family far far too much. It just makes a lot sense to me cause A. when taking into account ChromxSumia it makes the relationship between Severa and Lucina make so much more sense in that they are both very similar in their inferiority issues but choose to handle it in different ways. Also they both have bubbly little sisters they will give their lives to protect. B. It essentially triples Severa's self-esteem issues which adds a bit more depth to her character and makes her more relatable and understandable.

Also it is in my headcanon that cordelia gave up on Chrom so that Sumia could have him. Robin and Cordelia's supports are also some of Cordeila's best.

I could go on all day about why I love this ship so much but I think you get the general idea

Edited by Ottservia

6 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

yeah that's one of the reasons I'm pretty hesitant to ship HenryxOlivia as well. If anything Henry would be supportive of his son's flirting habits but that future past convo is by far one of, if not the best, future past convo(s) Inigo has. Frederick is another option to consider cause besides Chrom and Robin, he is by far the most likely to get mad at inigo for his shenanigans. Well lon'qu would do that to for a lesser extent anyway. Then again lon'qu wouldn't really lash out but more so express silent disappointment.

Yeah I just love that family far far too much. It just makes a lot sense to me cause A. when taking into account ChromxSumia it makes the relationship between Severa and Lucina make so much more sense in that they are both very similar in their inferiority issues but choose to handle it in different ways. Also they both have bubbly little sisters they will give their lives to protect. B. It essentially triples Severa's self-esteem issues which adds a bit more depth to her character and makes her more relatable and understandable.

I could go on all day about why I love this ship so much but I think you get the general idea

Yep, I see Frederick as the closest option besides Robin IMO. I was all for Fred until he Fates convo between Rob and Inigo and at that point it sealed the deal rather hard (I was always tumbling between Olivia and Cordi until I played the amiibo DLC). But yeah, even though Robin is chill, I just think the one thing he'd break for is strategy, especially after Emm died on his watch and all. That is what I thought was implied though so there's room for interpretation.

If Henry was a bit more human (wasn't going to sacrifice an injured dog to Grima of all things) or had a character that didn't rely 90% of the time on homicide for fun (or if the support didn't need Olivia to get cursed out of the blue to even make them work), I'd be super willing to pair them, but I can't find a shred of Henry in Inigo, personality wise at least, though most of Inigo's interactions arise from faking it, and he's rather shy, so it's harder to tell how he acts when it's a farce for most of the time.

Back to Cordi though.

Yeah I get it pretty well. Severa has the main issues with having to live up to the best pegasus knight around and the world's best tactician (and the equivalent of Prometheus in this case) so she's bound to feel a lot of pressure to deliver her best. I also do find the interactions she has with Lucina, namely her being annoyed with her, to make more sense since both her parents would be incredibly close to Chrom (only making that closeness, and the ignoring of her for Chrom all the more personal too her)

It also makes sense with Robin being very close to Chrom, with both Cordi and her husband leaving to die and fight for Chrom as far as I remember.

Edited by ArgentSable

Robin is my preferred father for Inigo.

Like you said, Robin fits the father support, and Robin is close enough to Chrom to compare Inigo to Lucina.

I'm not saying it's canon, but it just works.

5 minutes ago, Lau said:

Robin is my preferred father for Inigo.

Like you said, Robin fits the father support, and Robin is close enough to Chrom to compare Inigo to Lucina.

I'm not saying it's canon, but it just works.

Yeah nothing's cannon in most Fire Emblems. Even when some things should (looks at Eliwood and Ninian)