Pokemon Crystal - Screenshot Let's play

Hanes

Pokemon Crystal is my favorite Pokemon game and probably my favorite one ever! So I just wanted to get back into it and thought I may as well post it here because wynaut?

Without further ado, the 1st part will be up pretty shortly!

Also expect me to talk a lot about my memories because some are quite funny.

And also the last thing is that I will be putting an Asterisk at the end of every part number so you can CTRL+F and type an asterisk to find them easily.

Edited by Critical Sniper

Responses (thanks @Saint Rubenio for this idea)

Spoiler
1 minute ago, indigocean said:

Haha, I see what you did there.

What team members are you thinking of?

It's one of my favorite pokemon puns and most of the time I think that when I visualize the word instead of the actual thing, still a Grammar master though XD

I'm not sure, I'm thinking of doing something new so reccomendations would be nice. I usually go with Cyndaquil and then for a flier either Zubat or Hoothoot, Pidgey is cool too but like I remember getting very attached to a Crobat as a child because I was like "OH It loves me so it evolved!!" and then for Hoothoot I remember having him at like level 60 at the elite four and although I never beat it when I was 4-8 I remeber him being the only pokemon that could fight in my team. As for the rest maybe a Ghastly? I dunno. 

Please send reccomendations.

Part 1*
Note: I was originally only showing this to a friend so for now you see my taskbar and stuff

unknown.png?width=400&height=225
Really?

I thought it was world map though.

Even if you say yes she will tell you, how to use it although in an indirect fashion mind you "Don't you just select Phone on the Pokegear" is more like a hint and less a tutorial so nice.

Dude, like chill you could be world record for strongest kicks.

I think my first pokemon was Totodile but I feel more attached to Cyndaquil for some reason so I picked him, also he obliterates everything in the earlygame and he learns Thunder Punch as Typhlosion to beat water types. Best choice for me.

At the time I thought "Hehehe, I will fix this game on grammar" then I realized that lol he will evolve and still be called Cyndaquil, EPIC FAIL.

See what being nice can do to you? I got a free pokemon :)

Our first encounter is a Hoothoot, I have memories of his evolution, Noctowl, because he was my only good pokemon in an old Crystal save file for when I was 4 I think, he kicked ass but mostly just from being overleveled.

Good that I haven't leveled up yet so I could show the stats, I talked to my friend and he said he was one point away in Sp. Atk and Speed from being perfect IVs in those, yes IVs existed all the way back in Gen 1, it's not a new thing. His base HP of 20 is perfect IVs I think so it's very high too. I think that Sp Atk. plus the fact that fire moves are generally (if not always) special type so my enemies will burn like Lilina only this time it's a fast Lilina YIKES!

Once I was playing Crystal I think on this old page [https://tinyurl.com/ycbbav8e ] (I mean my original copy's battery died so I could only play here when I was younger still) and well a stair was glitched into here so I could fight the trainer there with a level 8 Cyndaquil and I lost obvs but that was such a weird bug, maybe I triggered it somehow?

I thought this Geodude fight would be hard but two leers and a spam of tackles and he goes down although I do use my starter's equipped berry iirc.

Berries are nice items for early game and you get a lot of them so always equip one, 10 damage is a lot before like gym 2 or something.

I say yes and then just fast forward to his house to get a Map card for the 2000's version of an Iphone. Also how does he see water pokemon in that lake he shows me well lol it doesn't matter, I'll see millions of them soon enough.

The man in the house and the tree give you a berry and as I said, they are useful early game things

I don't see many crits in Pokemon so I'll put them here(In fact I crit twice in this part but I didn't screenshot that out of lazyness :P)

So I didn't show my level 6 stats but I will be showing the rest from now on.

Ah no! a Poliwag! Ok so funny thing here, in what was probably the cutest thing ever that came from me as a child I once came to my uncle and said "Hey how is it that this little, poliwag is defeating my Onyx when it is really small and Onyx is very big?" so he thaught me about type advantages and it's like, lol, most of my "early childhood memories are from playing Crystal.

Wasted EXP. Wasted EXP. I don't run away from any encounter, Poliwag I will get you (OOOH maybe I catch one of those, I've never done it before)

Unlike many I never thought his name was "???", I can't be so sure about the thing whether he was a boy or a girl, I don't remeber that specific bit.

I just realize how many level 1 pokemon would be great Oifeys in FE if we transfered their stats directly, hmm yes a FE hack with pokemon in it, how you would go about catching them could probably be done in a FE8 skirmish style encounter... hmmm.

I don't know what I called him on my first playthrough but it definitely wasn't anything mean, and right now even though I can, I won't because he is a respectable (although edgy) rival so his name shall be written properly and grammarly correct. By now, you should know I'm a grammar nazi as we're called.

This is how you do tutorials, quick and short. Dude (that's literally his name) doesn't tell me every step, he just shows me and that's how a real tutorial should go. Don't tell me how the Franco-Prussian war went, show me with a map or something.

Level 9 stats (bar HP), looking solid I guess... look I'm not so good at analyzing Pokemon stats as FE ones but I do see that Speed is very high.

>Me then:
>HUEHUEHUE, I will use propper grammar for this guy
>Me now:
>*facepalm*
I used to think female pokemon were weaker but had more defense and being me I always chose power, although now I try not to mind this early mentality scarred me, let's see if I can fix that here, well I ain't catching females in newer games because their sex symbol is red; filthy, bloody red.

Follow me next time as I reenter Route 30 and subsequently 31 to reach Violet city and burn the bellsprout tower. 
See ya!

@Mekkah, don't you know lots about pokemon? any pokemon you think maybe I should catch?)

Playing Crystal, and not playing as Kris; what an opportunity missed.

33 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

At the time I thought "Hehehe, I will fix this game on grammar" then I realized that lol he will evolve and still be called Cyndaquil, EPIC FAIL.

The Name Rater is in Goldenrod, which you should reach fairly close to when he evolves, and then you can just update the name as your Pokes evolve (and thus keep them grammatically correct).

25 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

I just realize how many level 1 pokemon would be great Oifeys in FE if we transfered their stats directly, hmm yes a FE hack with pokemon in it, how you would go about catching them could probably be done in a FE8 skirmish style encounter... hmmm.

Clearly they should be captured the same way units are in either Thracia or Fates.

Have fun, Crystal is one of my favorites as well (the only one of the old games I bothered to get on VC). Just out of curiosity do plan on trying to run through the Battle Tower at any point?

51 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

I'm not sure, I'm thinking of doing something new so reccomendations would be nice. I usually go with Cyndaquil and then for a flier either Zubat or Hoothoot, Pidgey is cool too but like I remember getting very attached to a Crobat as a child because I was like "OH It loves me so it evolved!!" and then for Hoothoot I remember having him at like level 60 at the elite four and although I never beat it when I was 4-8 I remeber him being the only pokemon that could fight in my team. As for the rest maybe a Ghastly? I dunno. 

Please send reccomendations.

Crobat is actually pretty good and would make for a solid choice. Zubats are common, but don't let that fool you.

Usually when I choose Cyndaquil, I'll usually pick up a Wooper since the Water/Ground typing is strong. Poliwag also isn't a bad choice. You'll need a water type at some point, and I highly recommend these two. There's also an Eevee available in Goldenrod City I believe, so make sure to nab it when you get the chance.

If you're thinking about getting an electric type, Mareep is available pretty early on. Ampharos is kinda slow, but a powerful electric type.

Edited by indigocean

1 hour ago, Critical Sniper said:

I think that Sp Atk. plus the fact that fire moves are generally (if not always) special type so my enemies will burn like Lilina only this time it's a fast Lilina YIKES!

Prior to Gen 4, moves could only use one of the Atk stats. All Fire moves used Special Attack, so were all Electric, Ice, Grass, Water, Psychic, and Dragon I think. The rest used Attack, including Ghost, which was weird when it is immaterial.

I started with RBY, but I think I'm more of GSC fan at heart. I like Gold's, Silver's, and Kris's designs, the old and faded colors and "cooler/edgier" designs of trainers were nice.

I also recall for some inexplicable reason using a Hoppip and its line in Crystal, which I replicated in Soul Silver, I seriously regret that choice.

Responses

Spoiler
22 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Playing Crystal, and not playing as Kris; what an opportunity missed.

The Name Rater is in Goldenrod, which you should reach fairly close to when he evolves, and then you can just update the name as your Pokes evolve (and thus keep them grammatically correct).

Clearly they should be captured the same way units are in either Thracia or Fates.

Have fun, Crystal is one of my favorites as well (the only one of the old games I bothered to get on VC). Just out of curiosity do plan on trying to run through the Battle Tower at any point?

I am playing as the male character, and I called him after my name, why would he be Kris anyway I thought his canon name was Ethan?

Cyndaquil would be around level 25 in there, yep I dont let a single drop of EXP go by. But I thught the name rater was in the 8th gym place, then I remembered that there is the HM forgetter dude but well thanks for reminding me where the name rater lives.

That idea slipped by too, but a combination of both would maybe be feasible?

The battle tower, I've never gotten far there as a child I always sucked (It's the reason why for so long I thought Steelix was an OP pokemon lol) but even today I still struggle there, it's very difficult but if I can or get some ideas I might just try it.

22 hours ago, indigocean said:

Crobat is actually pretty good and would make for a solid choice. Zubats are common, but don't let that fool you.

Usually when I choose Cyndaquil, I'll usually pick up a Wooper since the Water/Ground typing is strong. Poliwag also isn't a bad choice. You'll need a water type at some point, and I highly recommend these two. There's also an Eevee available in Goldenrod City I believe, so make sure to nab it when you get the chance.

If you're thinking about getting an electric type, Mareep is available pretty early on. Ampharos is kinda slow, but a powerful electric type.

Yeah it's something I always try to tell to people, that Zubats are common but not terrible and I am aware of Crobat's extremely high speed, it's so nice.

I've never used a Wooper but now that you mention him I probably should fetch one, I usually fetch Sandshrew because he is good against Red's Pika but Wooper seems solid too and I'm obviously getting Eevee and probably making him into a Espeon for team rocket's poison spam.

I feel like Typhlosion can cover up for me with Thunder Punch so I've never really tried using electric pokemon but I dunno.

21 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Prior to Gen 4, moves could only use one of the Atk stats. All Fire moves used Special Attack, so were all Electric, Ice, Grass, Water, Psychic, and Dragon I think. The rest used Attack, including Ghost, which was weird when it is immaterial.

I started with RBY, but I think I'm more of GSC fan at heart. I like Gold's, Silver's, and Kris's designs, the old and faded colors and "cooler/edgier" designs of trainers were nice.

I also recall for some inexplicable reason using a Hoppip and its line in Crystal, which I replicated in Soul Silver, I seriously regret that choice.

Wait I thought that was Gen 1 only or atleast Gen 2 as well but ok it only makes life easier for me with my +Sp. Atk Cyndaquil!

I simply like colorful colors and Gen 1 doesn't have them (well only the title color if you use a GBC) so I've always liked it, also Crystal was my first video game and so I'm very attached to it.

Weird because the time I did use him I didn't, I never finished that playthrough but I called him Nino and once he learned Tackle he just 2 hit KO everything but maybe I was blessed in Atk and Def.

Part 2*

Spoiler

A4GowV5.png
Well I return now with a better image format and to go all the way to bellsprout tower.

FxWZopB.png
If I had Ember.

JdJ4kTO.png
YOU SON OF A BITCH!

UVfLxrv.png
Ah memegendary Joey, now the story truly begins.

IACHV4b.png
Also Hoothoot's stats, I am dissapointed and I did see a Level 5 wild one who was very durable but I didn't catch it so I'm an idiot

EXVqzrF.png
You CUNT SHIT!

22YAzR2.png
Level 10 stats, you know, I'll only put stats at the end of every part so it doesn't flood with level ups.

XmAv3z9.png
Another one.

FpVtdl8.png
So I missed 1 Tackle and this guy missed 4 growls in a row, what is this RNG?

CkhDYPY.png
This call I almost never got what it was asking me until I was able to read better, all I knew is that she was talking about money and calling me her baby always said yes because I never knew what it was for.

8CIF132.png
You can either look up a guide or Open and close the menu to know where to go or you can be like me and memorize it using the Potion item as a guide.

rqjUM7H.png
Arthur, stop getting critted!

2p24VI8.png
Arthur, stop getting poisoned!

q8WDTJz.png
Well I reached Violet City now, that was pretty quick.

za9NAzo.png
Am I the only one who always thought this person had a dislocated jaw and who could turn without moving it? Took me a long time to realize that he was using a Gameboy.

6LA9G42.png
You drunk be, teacher outside class bad.

yHpf3zM.png
Cool song, trash trainers.

Bdfy05n.png
God damn it.

lx1eJrh.png
I'm getting closer.

ZFhkHda.png
Since all I would read was MOM I would always think these trainers where going to call my mom that I was bullying them or something, lol I was so wrong on so many things.

L5OgeXD.png
Also "Leer" in spanish means "to read" so when I first picked it I was like "What am I going to defeat my enemies by reading" then I saw the lasers and went "WOAH" then I saw it did no damage and I reacted "Oh, useless"

IApHTcC.png
Cyndaquil learns Ember and the game gets significantly easier, also I would usually have him evolved by now or after the sage fight but this time I'm not grinding which makes this an interesting experience.

lNGibZR.png
You're not wrong on that.

4Ot3Z9M.png
I never understood why stuff like "evocative" and "powerful" are adjectives added to art like wouldn't "good" or "amazing" describe it better, guess it's a matter of perspective like abstract art.

iTSh2Kj.png
The elder? Oh right he didn't even give me a crit so meh I'm fine. But that was too short, I will do this area, at least the most I can do.

CiuS4wi.png
Use the Escape Rope from Bellsprout tower after reading this text and then reenter for it to open.

vPGAz14.png
"Our words shall remain here for the ages" lol ok. You guys suck this why you are Unknown. Hehehehe

3qbu0rG.png
I spent a good minute trying to remember his name, how idiotin of me, Kabuto yes.

f5dnMtj.png
I feel like I have time for it.

VBJyIKX.png
Mohawks? Seriously? Well you should habe the Abe-ility to know how ridiculous that is.

CoUqjW0.png
Guys you didn't tell me this was a gay bar, if you had told me I would have painted my hair. Guys you didn't tell me this was an SJW protest circle, otherwise I would have painted my hair and grown some weight. (No ban pls)

uhAc8Fu.png
So does the Elite four not enforce proper rules for how pokemon should be? Ain't complaining though, Pidgeotto looks cool in the Gen 2 games and it's more epic than fighting a level 14 pidgey for example. Be a bit careful though as this Pidgeotto knows Mud-slap and that's effective against Fire and Rock types, it's not too strong but I can remember one (and only one) instance where it screwed me over, also if you're really unlucky it could lower your accuracy iirc.

VEeItN8.png
Does the S stand for "Shoot a bird for free"?

5DKIfsP.png
I get a Togepi egg.

K9VO0at.png
I literally just got it.

wMErUwi.png
Yeah I'm not too happy with this, those are really low stats. Maybe I'll catch another one and see how it turns out.

dBajkSC.png
The gen 2 starters are very strong but this... well he is very IV good so I probably shouldn't be holding him as the standard.

YSNR2EQ.png
Well this was a fun part, I hope you all enjoyed it and as always put your reccomendations below.

1 hour ago, Critical Sniper said:

I am playing as the male character, and I called him after my name, why would he be Kris anyway I thought his canon name was Ethan?

Kris is the canon name of the female character in Crystal, and Crystal was the first game to give you the option for a female main character.

2 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

The battle tower, I've never gotten far there as a child I always sucked (It's the reason why for so long I thought Steelix was an OP pokemon lol) but even today I still struggle there, it's very difficult but if I can or get some ideas I might just try it.

The battle tower is what taught me the basic toxic stall strategy; I was so irritated seeing it used against me, that I trained up a Blissey with Hardboil, Toxic and a little coverage just to give that tower a taste of its own medicine. Plus Steelix is a fairly good poke in Gen 2, just overwhelmed by power-creep in future games.

2 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

wMErUwi.png
Yeah I'm not too happy with this, those are really low stats. Maybe I'll catch another one and see how it turns out.

You could always switch it with Zubat,  if you aren't satisfied with Hoothoot.

One suggestion for a sorta late team mate is the extreme speed Dratini, although it is a bit of an Est archetype of Pokemon.

6 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

FpVtdl8.png

Wait Growl has 100 accuracy right?

I thought the 1/256 glitch was Gen 1 only.

uhAc8Fu.png
So does the Elite four not enforce proper rules for how pokemon should be? Ain't complaining though, Pidgeotto looks cool in the Gen 2 games and it's more epic than fighting a level 14 pidgey for example. Be a bit careful though as this Pidgeotto knows Mud-slap and that's effective against Fire and Rock types, it's not too strong but I can remember one (and only one) instance where it screwed me over, also if you're really unlucky it could lower your accuracy iirc.

Considering Lance of course they don't.

K9VO0at.png
I literally just got it.

The other guy had to walk to get it to you?

Your Hoothoot got some bad IVs, boy :I It needs more attack to do something worth with its typing or it will only be useful with psychic moves that doesn't gain STAB.

TOGEPI!!!!!!! It's the spike ball of happiness! It's difficult to make a room for Togetic, but has a lot of uses because of being Normal-type.

I can't wait to see you on Goldenrod and take on my favorite Gym Leader!

4 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

oh dear lord, no

17 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

I feel like Typhlosion can cover up for me with Thunder Punch so I've never really tried using electric pokemon but I dunno.

There's no harm in trying out an Electric type. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other Pokemon out there. The only cost to catch an Electric type is a Pokeball and a little luck. Plus, Electric types will gain STAB on Electric moves, which Typhlosion won't be able to do (although having type coverage on a single Pokemon is also good, so you could go either way, really).

Response

Spoiler
19 hours ago, Eltosian Kadath said:

Kris is the canon name of the female character in Crystal, and Crystal was the first game to give you the option for a female main character.

The battle tower is what taught me the basic toxic stall strategy; I was so irritated seeing it used against me, that I trained up a Blissey with Hardboil, Toxic and a little coverage just to give that tower a taste of its own medicine. Plus Steelix is a fairly good poke in Gen 2, just overwhelmed by power-creep in future games.

You could always switch it with Zubat,  if you aren't satisfied with Hoothoot.

One suggestion for a sorta late team mate is the extreme speed Dratini, although it is a bit of an Est archetype of Pokemon.

Oh god damn it, there goes Kris confusing me again, like I don't see any male Sophie's around why is Kris a female name too? Weird well anyway I didn't feel like playing her this time around but I thought her canon name was Crystal though.

Oh alright, I might try it, guns blazing with a psychic pokemon for those obnoxious craps.

I now, but I might instead just catch another Hoothoot.

I always have a dragonite on my team, alongside Red Gyarados so it would be cool to have that Dratini.

16 hours ago, Dayni said:

Wait Growl has 100 accuracy right?

I thought the 1/256 glitch was Gen 1 only.

Considering Lance of course they don't.

The other guy had to walk to get it to you?

I dunno.

Yeah it's only there but maybe growl isn't 100%. After all I have seen Leer miss in the newer games iirc.

Yeah to quote Matyburrito's inteerpretation of Lance "You don't get to be champion without knowing how to spam Full Restores!!" also 3 dragonites that are under the evolution level

Yeah but still it almost always comes as "It still will take some time" or whatever the text is, well the sooner the better.

9 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Your Hoothoot got some bad IVs, boy :I It needs more attack to do something worth with its typing or it will only be useful with psychic moves that doesn't gain STAB.

TOGEPI!!!!!!! It's the spike ball of happiness! It's difficult to make a room for Togetic, but has a lot of uses because of being Normal-type.

How do you calculate the IVs though, what website do you use?

I always just grind it a bit up and then enjoy seeing what Metronome gives me.

Oh right, well I have to get a female pokemon to make it easier for me.

4 hours ago, indigocean said:

oh dear lord, no

There's no harm in trying out an Electric type. If you don't like it, there are plenty of other Pokemon out there. The only cost to catch an Electric type is a Pokeball and a little luck. Plus, Electric types will gain STAB on Electric moves, which Typhlosion won't be able to do (although having type coverage on a single Pokemon is also good, so you could go either way, really).

Oh dear lord yes.

I know it wouldn't be bad but I dunno, Cyndaquil's Sp. Atk is so good though that thunder punch will be strong even without STAB.

Guys I took some time grinding to try a different Hoothoot and it sucked as well so I caught a Zubat instead and trained it until it got Bite at level 12. I also got a Ghastly and trained that and now I got a bit tired and I also want to keep trying my Awakening Lunatic save file, it's a great challenge at least for me.

There will be a proper part tomorrow, just comment some random thing so that my next part isn't a double post :) 

Gen 2 is pretty cool. It isn't as outdated as gen1 but still feels oldschool unlike gen3 (still like gen 1 & 3). There is also a lot to do especially Crystal which I've heard has the most bullshit Battle frontier. I still don't think that I will play Crystal because I already have Gold on my 3ds and... Wait. You can catch Poliwag this early? Never mind Crystal is the best pokemon game.

On 28-1-2019 at 3:46 AM, Critical Sniper said:

I think my first pokemon was Totodile but I feel more attached to Cyndaquil for some reason so I picked him, also he obliterates everything in the earlygame and he learns Thunder Punch as Typhlosion to beat water types. Best choice for me.

I always pick Chikorita because it puts me at an enormous disadvantage and forces me to raise other Pokemon. In both my gold and Soulsilver playthrough I dropped him around the 4th gym. Chikorita is also pretty cute I guess and the first theme deck in the tcg I got was based around Meganium. Btw I think that the text blew up.

On 29-1-2019 at 3:47 AM, Critical Sniper said:

So does the Elite four not enforce proper rules for how pokemon should be? 

No, they don't. Not only are their levels hacked but also their movepool (Lance's Aerodactyl has rock slide which he couldn't learn in gen 2)

Edited by LJwalhout
grammar

55 minutes ago, LJwalhout said:

I always pick Chikorita because it puts me at an enormous disadvantage and forces me to raise other Pokemon. In both my gold and Soulsilver playthrough I dropped him around the 4th gym. Chikorita is also pretty cute I guess and the first theme deck in the tcg I got was based around Meganium. Btw I think that the text blew up.

Chikorita is definitely a way to give yourself a challenge and adding its cuteness, it's the real choice. I always made the effort to have a female Chikorita to name her "Carmencita"!

She also has every tool to make Whitney's lovely Miltank a piece of cake. Poison Powder, Reflect and Synthesis.

55 minutes ago, LJwalhout said:

No, they don't. Not only are there levels hacked but also there movepool (Lance's Aerodactyl has rock slide which he couldn't learn in gen 2)

Lance was always a big fat cheater, he had a Dragonite with Barrier too.

Edited by 1% Critical Hit

Responses

Spoiler
On 1/29/2019 at 9:06 PM, indigocean said:

I got you, fam.

This is a good fam.

9 hours ago, LJwalhout said:

Gen 2 is pretty cool. It isn't as outdated as gen1 but still feels oldschool unlike gen3 (still like gen 1 & 3). There is also a lot to do especially Crystal which I've heard has the most bullshit Battle frontier. I still don't think that I will play Crystal because I already have Gold on my 3ds and... Wait. You can catch Poliwag this early? Never mind Crystal is the best pokemon game.

Oh yeah Gen 1 is so buggy and although it won't really affect you through a normal playthrough it is also pretty broken on pokemon, this unbalance is fun but only when you have the high ground. Not when it's put against you. Yeah you can catch Poliwag very early here at night but I'm playing on an emulator. The battle frontier is pretty though and yes Crystal is obviously the best pokemon game ever, not just because of nostalgia but because of technology (HOW DOES IT FIT KANTO IN THE GAME LIKE WOW! Thanks Satoru Iwata!)

I know it's a bigger challenge but I still like using Cyndaquil, like yeah Chikorita makes it harder for 1 hour until you catch another pokemon that isn't weak to the 1st Gym. One advantage it does have is evolving early at level 12 which is a nice boost. Also the text was done intentionally because the 1st part images were very big but it does look too ugly so I feel like maybe I should have bolded it for aesthetic.

No, they don't. Not only are their levels hacked but also their movepool (Lance's Aerodactyl has rock slide which he couldn't learn in gen 2)

ftfy in your text. Oh yeah I forgot that part well lol I knew all of this but still. Giant cheaters.

8 hours ago, 1% Critical Hit said:

Chikorita is definitely a way to give yourself a challenge and adding its cuteness, it's the real choice. I always made the effort to have a female Chikorita to name her "Carmencita"!

She also has every tool to make Whitney's lovely Miltank a piece of cake. Poison Powder, Reflect and Synthesis.

Lance was always a big fat cheater, he had a Dragonite with Barrier too.

Oh no what a big challenge, if only I had pokeballs before the 1st gym to catch literally any other pokemon. OwO what's this? A pokeball! I'll use it to catch a bellsprout and trade it for an Onyx.

All you need is a female pokemon that isn't weak to rollout and better yet if it's resistant to rock.

Ah yeah that too, what a big fat cheater.

Part 3*
So these are images I took yesterday during my grinding spree and I didn't feel like playing more Crystal today and yesterday I was too tired to upload these images, it's only 10 of them but I got them to show how my grinding was doing, also Quilava was on babysitting duty so he went up 2 levels and now he is level 16.

Spoiler

giO6oFp.png
We continue, let's see if maybe I can get a better Hoothoot.

DwpuyLp.png
I got my first evolution! Ho ho ho, time to kick ass.

Ipp08bL.png
Hoothoot II seems to have etter stats than the previous hoothoot, like seriously the previous one was super slow.

3wQIc5c.png
I also want a Ghastly because it wouldn't be bad.

AUx7IVV.png
It's better but only in like Attack and Speed by one point. Still pretty bad, let's see how a Zubat does.

aeqOfrt.png
I had walked so much Togepi hatched, *sigh* guess I have another pokemon to grind.

td8PxiT.png
Dracula has better stats, I dunno why that speed dissapoints me but meh it's so good everywhere else. Also these aren't the stats before I finished grinding him and that's because I got him to 12 to learn bite.

XzquTaW.png
Dunsparce! Catch that! I found a 2nd one that was female but I didn;t feel like I needed to catch it, what for?

8PSjAdI.png
This Ghastly is looking good, well the game puts my pokemon against the enemy's and not against my own and here it seems like he would do fine enough.

ul2SqP4.png
I don't want to do it but like I don't want to grind anymore and I don't want many pokemon on my team so early in the game.

On 1/28/2019 at 9:47 PM, Critical Sniper said:

It's Gooooolllllllld! -Well not really, but I prefer it, as unrealistic and generically associated with the Gen's naming it is. Good luck making it work with Gen 6 however, what kind of names would be X and Y?

On 1/28/2019 at 9:47 PM, Critical Sniper said:

One of my childhood misconceptions was that stat debuffs were permanent. It always annoyed me whenever Feraligatr was hit with an Attack down for some reason.

On 1/30/2019 at 10:30 PM, Critical Sniper said:

8PSjAdI.png
This Ghastly is looking good, well the game puts my pokemon against the enemy's and not against my own and here it seems like he would do fine enough.

I still have my ollllllld Nintendo Power Gold and Silver game guide. From what I remember, it hyped the heck of out Gastly, mostly I think it was because of it being great for catching: Night Shade deals fixed damage, Hypnosis increases catch rate, Mean Look helps with the legendary beasts (although don't they have Roar?).

Responses

Spoiler
On 2/3/2019 at 3:16 PM, eclipse said:

We have a subforum for Let's Plays!

Oh how did I forget that!

18 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

It's Gooooolllllllld! -Well not really, but I prefer it, as unrealistic and generically associated with the Gen's naming it is. Good luck making it work with Gen 6 however, what kind of names would be X and Y?

One of my childhood misconceptions was that stat debuffs were permanent. It always annoyed me whenever Feraligatr was hit with an Attack down for some reason.

I still have my ollllllld Nintendo Power Gold and Silver game guide. From what I remember, it hyped the heck of out Gastly, mostly I think it was because of it being great for catching: Night Shade deals fixed damage, Hypnosis increases catch rate, Mean Look helps with the legendary beasts (although don't they have Roar?).

Is that a pokemon Golder reference I see there? Lol If you're a woman your name is XX and if you are a man it's XY, simpl... simply autistic (for X and Y)

Oh I remember something about stat debuffs AH thank you for reminding me! I don't know if people read these so I will put it below on the LP itself)

I always hated how night Shade dealt fixed damage because lick is such a crappy move and Night Shade is my next offensive move (Atleast it's not the onnly move like on Gen1) But as far as I remember nothing stops the legendary beasts from escaping.

Part 4*
So do you guys prefer me to put the LP in a spoiler or not? It saves space but it looks weird when closed IMO. But what's mor eefficient for you guys?

Spoiler

dAczOCF.png
This is the most annoying thing about Ghost type moves, alongside the fact they are Physical and Not Special based.

KEnpYtn.png
Any pokemon player instantly throws out the gameboy once they see the word It

GhMrLML.png
Oh sorry I didn't make a proper introduction, yeah I am playing at day for the 1st time now lol.

Nk893YB.png
I dunno why but my mind always tried to visualize Repels when I got this specific one and all it would remind me of would be diapers, for whatever reason.

bSkDQiv.png
What's up with all these ledges I don't remember? Like on route 30 there is one and here like it doesn't make sense, is it a glitch?

TuIC3e1.png
Oh I wanted to mention how Gastly looks dumb as a backspriteit's so weird. Also the Nidoran used leer but I as too slow to catch it, I remember though that after getting hit by a stat debuff I would go to the pokemon center because I thought that would take it away and make it not carry over.

JzrrDWQ.png
Did it accidentally but I guess it helps, damn Lick is just too weak against these Nidorans.

Yeah that's about it today, I didn't feel like playing much so sorry! I wo't have this die though I promise that.

27 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

So do you guys prefer me to put the LP in a spoiler or not? It saves space but it looks weird when closed IMO. But what's more efficient for you guys?

Whatever works for you. It's your LP, so you have full reign over design choices.

29 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

bSkDQiv.png
What's up with all these ledges I don't remember? Like on route 30 there is one and here like it doesn't make sense, is it a glitch?

Probably just one of those tiny obstacles that absolutely ruins speedruns.

35 minutes ago, Critical Sniper said:

JzrrDWQ.png
Did it accidentally but I guess it helps, damn Lick is just too weak against these Nidorans.

You could always try switching to another pokemon and having them finish the fight. Ghastly will only get half of the experience, but it saves time and will probably be faster in the long run. The other pokemon that you send out will get half of the experience, too, so it's beneficial for both of them. I think that's how I remember that working. I haven't played Pokemon in a while, but it's a strategy that I like doing early game to level up team members a bit faster.

Well, it's not that fast, but exp gets distributed among the team members that participated, and the battle ends sooner, so it's technically faster, at least in theory.

bSkDQiv.png

It just seems like it was put there for the hell of it.

TuIC3e1.png
Oh I wanted to mention how Gastly looks dumb as a backspriteit's so weird. Also the Nidoran used leer but I as too slow to catch it, I remember though that after getting hit by a stat debuff I would go to the pokemon center because I thought that would take it away and make it not carry over.

You know, I thought this in the early days as well.

I don't know how I thought that it would be possible to beat the game with that in mind though.

If it serves any purpose, it is to give a slight sense of terrain elevation differences. The graphics of the era not being enough to actually show the differences more readily.

Responses

Spoiler
On 2/4/2019 at 7:15 PM, indigocean said:

Whatever works for you. It's your LP, so you have full reign over design choices.

I suppose, I prefer it open and no spoilers but this part is so long.

On 2/4/2019 at 7:15 PM, indigocean said:

Probably just one of those tiny obstacles that absolutely ruins speedruns.

Does it waste that much time to go down from it instead of walking around it, I feel like it's faster.

On 2/5/2019 at 11:29 AM, Dayni said:

You know, I thought this in the early days as well.

I don't know how I thought that it would be possible to beat the game with that in mind though.

Yeah it's just Pokemon doesn't tell you much when you start back then and this falls into the adventure setting it sets

On 2/5/2019 at 11:33 AM, Interdimensional Observer said:

If it serves any purpose, it is to give a slight sense of terrain elevation differences. The graphics of the era not being enough to actually show the differences more readily.

I didn't think about that... hmm it's a nice touch tbh.

On 2/10/2019 at 7:45 PM, 1% Critical Hit said:

I'm glad I didn't miss much in my absence!

You plan to have just a Haunter? Or you know the super duper secret to evolve it into Gengar?

Yeah I'm being an inconsistent boy

I know how to evolve haunter to Gengar but I think Haunter looks way cooler. But I think I'll have to trade anyways to evolve it.

Part 5*

Spoiler

l2ChCqR.png
Welcome baqck everybody and... who the hell considers 6:03 PM night? Well I mean I guess it isn't day either.

VmjfR6p.png
Using a potion reminds me of how my uncle would tell me to just use  my potions since that's what they are for and I always was stingy with my items. Today hell no I'm wasting all y Killing edges because they suck with low uses and always critting on the 2nd hit that was going to kill anyway (Looks angrily at Rutger and Guy)

kPB0Bev.png
I always aline myself to the left of an opponent if possible so that they're both in the center like this for this animation.

PdLEWYo.png
Oh I didn't remember this, I was thinking something like that had happened.

6abGqrB.png
Well Dracula should go out then.

JTlOuBL.png
Not bad at all!

3FXv8z3.png
I'll just skip to the end then.

9mLW4a4.png                                                   GSthFSe.png    
I wonder if the glitch where you pause as soon as you move works. Nope it doesn't guess it got patched in Gen 2.

6iw7cLx.png
Lol really?

PppbhBF.png                                                   kjY17CF.png
Who? Oh mom yes he- my money?! Well I should go check it out then (I never did)

T4gUYHF.png
Nice.

gYau4EP.png
Oh no how intimidating

vIu4pKp.png
I hate when this happens, I will 2 shot a zubat but leech life gives it one more HP and now it gets 3 shotted. Such a waste of time.

gM7xavi.png
Or they do that afterward ugh.

bn0G6w3.png
Yo calm down you almost kill it with leech life!

vdaoG90.png
Wooper's smile reminds me of a 2 year old or something so his name is Bababa.

sbLtP4v.png                    yUvjGlv.png                                mLEXaGr.png
Yo dude what the fuck?                      You're not helping yourself.                                           No

PDHUaRP.png
Another one? Well good then. Also on fridays a chick appears here and gives you a Poison garb I think?

lsFKk2r.png
Sure, as long as it's not gayand kinky.

yLfeoMF.png
Now we're talking... I mean not for long Rebecca is over there.

fo3NCSF.png                                                                                          WMVHox6.png  
A pokemon you caught in the grass? Lol what is it level 4 or something?      How did you find a level 10 one in the grass?

Y9ARNZP.png                                                                                         ydVqoBp.png                                                            vSJhsaN.png
Time to train Bababa... wait who do I choose, Dracula or Ghastly?                  Well Ghastly has more SP Def so Ghastly it is.                           Like I care

E5FmhSE.png                    W0oex3d.png
Ah do I continue or end it here....        Let's continue!

M9kGHgp.png                                                                                 OOWoeXN.png
I don't think attacking gives more exp than just retreating immediately.    OH dracula actually fainted to Spearow belmont...

rWR3pVW.png
Hello tedious cave.

3m2gHu4.png
Hello Bababa playground cave

pWyAzSo.png
In HGSS there is a path here to something I dunno why they added it but obviously it's not here lel.

RYiPkHg.png
2 levels in a row from killing one Onyx in one shot with water gun. Lol Wooper OP.

h0nQNlJ.png
Another one?

FzteuJh.png
Yeah I don't like that either.

9KCfLsX.png
Damn you well I guess I'm switching Pokemon.

dTKIGbA.png
Oh come on!

96A5Aee.png
I love the theme song that plays here.

BQT3crs.png
Nice of you to five me a free Center battle.

AdJ90p7.png
If I am not wrong Luck should do effective damage

CCpq5Dv.png
Yep.

G1XTwRC.png
On friday nights (or was it sunday?) you hear weird ass sex sounds here, you go there with Surf and it's just a Lapras.

oiWIRyk.png
Gonna play that later, Lunatic mode is bonkers but fun.

Z7jPRtz.png
Well Wooper neutralized this entire cave lol now he is level 11 xd.

4aeSaUc.png
Yeah buddy. You have a cool song which makes you a good samaritan.

SJu6a0J.png
Well that's it for today :P Hope you enjoyed this, but wow it was really long. See ya.

l2ChCqR.png
Welcome baqck everybody and... who the hell considers 6:03 PM night? Well I mean I guess it isn't day either.

Well, when it's deep winter here it's dark well before 6.

And that's with the clocks back an hour, but the fact that it would be dark on DST as well (To a lesser extent) is astonishing.

pWyAzSo.png
In HGSS there is a path here to something I dunno why they added it but obviously it's not here lel.

They shifted the ladder for Alph ruins to there in the remakes.

And yes, it is Friday for Lapras.