Today is the Wii Shop Channels last day

Jedi

If you have any points left over whatsoever for any reason, better use them now. 

Since Ninty doesn't think it's important to keep these going to preserve some games, unfortunately this might be the last chance for certain games to be avaliable in any form at all. 

Edited by IS Bath Salts HQ

Well this kind of thing inevitably has to go sometime. Not sure what gems we forever lose access to amid all the shovelware (which is inevitable). RIP these unknown games.

This was Nintendo's first attempt at a digital front, and although it was only for VC and WiiWare games, it was an okay start, for me at least. Albeit I don't play PC games, nor did I actually have much access to the store since WiFi was an issue back then. The elevator music was good at least.

I've personally never purchased anything from the Wii Shop Channel (I don't even have a Wii anymore, I gave it to family friends), but I was at least able to enjoy the demos that were offered. The WSC also introduced me to Cave Story, which I absolutely love. I was only able to play the demo on the Wii, but I at least have the game on my PC now. 

The younger me is thankful for afternoons well spent playing demos on an old CRT. It's a bit sad to see it go, but I think that it'll be for the best.

Oh yeah, this. I'm a little surprised it lasted this long, but too bad for anything lost after this.

Can't say I've used it much, though. I think I only ever bought FFIV:TAY and Ocarina of Time. The latter sits now in my Wii U, and the former I can live without, since I also have it on PC. Still, I suppose that's the end of it.

16 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

I think the big wiiware only games are My life as a King and My life as a Dark Lord by square nix.

Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth, Contra Rebirth, Gradius Rebirth, several Pokemon spinoffs too though, among other things

Edited by IS Bath Salts HQ

I actually used the Wii Shop a tonne. Majora's Mask, TLOZ, Zelda II, A Link to the Past, Lylat Wars, Kirby's Adventure in Dream Land, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy IV: The After Years, Donkey Kong Adventure, Super Metroid, Metriod (the one for the NES), Super Samsh Bros. (the one for the Nintendo 64), Super Mario Kart (the one for the Snes), Castlevannia, Dynamite Heady, Sin And Punishment and tonnes more I can't even remember off the top of my head. The library was actually really, really good. I think half of those games aren't even on the EShop for some reason. I think I actually had like 100 or 200 points left over on it, alas they will be lost forever as my Wii is on a different continent. I always did plan to get Super Mario World the Lost Levels but never did. Sucked that you could only buy points in installments of 500, 1000 etc instead of just paying however much you need directly with a credit card like on the EShop. Most prices were pretty uniform but if you ever bought something that cost 600/1200 points (like Sin and Punishment as it was translated or the DLC in The After Years which was something like 200 points a pop) you were basically forced to buy three four other marginally higher priced titles to spend everything.

Edited by Jotari

24 minutes ago, IS Bath Salts HQ said:

Castlevania The Adventure Rebirth, Contra Rebirth, Gradius Rebirth, several Pokemon spinoffs too though, among other things

Damn, the ReBirth series is gonna be a real loss. Unless they're re-released elsewhere (like on the Switch, but I doubt it), the only way to play those games again is gonna be through piracy or if it's already been bought on a Wii console.

That brings a question to mind. Can WiiWare games be transferred to the Wii U and played through it's Wii Channel?

2 minutes ago, Dragoncat said:

I thought this died a long time ago!

Nah, that was just the Wii in general.

There's been rumors of a Rebirth collection on modern systems, but nothing concrete. I certainly hope those games get preserved. I've heard the Castlevania and Contra games are series highlights especially and I was interested in the Blaster Master game as well.

29 minutes ago, indigocean said:

That brings a question to mind. Can WiiWare games be transferred to the Wii U and played through it's Wii Channel?

Yes, through the Wii to Wii U transfer option. 

I thought they closed this service.

Hypothetically, if I downloaded Final Fantasy My Life as King rn, would it disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't be able to play it?

10 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

I thought they closed this service.

Hypothetically, if I downloaded Final Fantasy My Life as King rn, would it disappear tomorrow and I wouldn't be able to play it?

No, it'd stay on your console and in fact your wii would become more valuable as it would be the only way anyone could legitmately play the game.

2 minutes ago, Jotari said:

No, it'd stay on your console and in fact your wii would become more valuable as it would be the only way anyone could legitmately play the game.

ok cool! I'll have to download it soon!

6 minutes ago, Dandy Druid said:

ok cool! I'll have to download it soon!

Not an expert on Wii hardware, but I believe its possible to copy the wiiware hardware onto a SD card, in which case you could even sell the SD Card for money online.

Edited by Emperor Hardin

3 minutes ago, Emperor Hardin said:

Not an expert on Wii hardware, but I believe its possible to copy the wiiware hardware onto a SD card, in which case you could even sell the SD Card for money online.

Interesting.....

Although I'm not sure if FFMLaK would sell that much. Since Crystal Chronicles got remade, it may be possible MLaK gets remade as well.