What is the most disappointing TV series you've ever watched?

Roland

Well I have a pair of categories,

For anime, Guilty Crown.  An original anime by Tetsuro Araki working with Production I.G. as a studio and with epic production values?  Sign me up!  Sadly all of the potential and the production went completely to waste from a storyline that contained an excess of big ideas but left way too many dangling threads towards the end, execution and direction that was a lot less than what I would have expected from Araki, and characters that practically border on being schizophrenic.  By the time I reached the final episode I had a hard time even telling if it was necessarily a good or bad one, I was just more pleased that it was over than anything.  Seriously a big miss for what could have and should have been an all time classic.

Aldnoah Zero is certainly a close second, but at least that show had a great first half that was simply let down by an unworthy second.  DarthR0xas actually nailed a good 99% of my issues with what that second half did.

For live tv, Under the Dome.  The first season was a so-so adaptation of the book but everything after that veered so far off into "What are they even doing anymore?"  territory it wasn't even a fascinating train wreck when season 3 came around.  The acting was hit and miss, the writing got wonkier with each new season, and the added plots obviously didn't really add anything worthwhile to the source material.  The book certainly wasn't perfect for all of the pacing issues for how big of a story it was, but it sure deserved a better adaptation than this.  Needless to say, this leaves me a little mixed about CBS All Access's future adaptation of The Stand.

Doctor Who
Loved it as a kid and kept watching it as a teenager up until Amy Rose left the show with Rory. Not saying the show is bad after they left, but it became difficult to get invested after that when you're more critical of writing at later part of your youth. At least they keep changing the cast so that's nice. The first 3 Doctors of the new generation will forever remain in a place close to my heart, but I can't get into it anymore. It's that difficult. Maybe if the previous Doctor's episodes all-in-all are a decent watch based on ratings I'll give them a go this Summer. Tho I haven't heard good things from the most up to date Doctor Who season, because if I remember correctly the current director or whatever you want to call it has had a bad track record when it comes to episode writing.

Edited by redlight

That's a strong word, and I can't recall any experiences I've found disappointing from the start. I guess the closer one was Doctor Who, which I didn't find funny at all and couldn't get past the first three chapters. Maybe I dropped it too early, but it didn't give me any motivation to force myself into giving it another chance.

Since anime seems to count, Sword Art Online. Saying what is wrong with it would be parroting what billions of Youtube videos and angry internet people have already said a dozen times: It's dull, the time skips are confusing, the MC is a terrible Gary Stu, the few good characters are eclipsed etc.

Now, for series that became disappointing later, I think Once Upon a Time qualifies. It had a good premise but the other seasons are clearly just there for easy cash grabs, lacking the same consistency and writing from the first season, which would've worked as a standalone story.

Game of Thrones also started becoming worse as it progressed, especially when Season 5 kicked in. I didn't watch the rest - I only read about it or heard from friends, but they sound as bad as I expect, so...

Titans could also have been much better if the plot didn't loop around itself so much and if it wasn't all about Ravena's origin story (which had a lot of influence in everything, as if someone there really likes her). The writer thought it was a good idea to mix Teen Titans with The Exorcist, for some reason. Robin's sub-plot is a highlight stealing mess too and he puts Batman vs Superman to shame in terms of violence and gore. It's probably worse for someone who knows Teen Titans (I never watched the show or read any comics). Overall, I really wished the story went into a better direction because it showed promise, but it never improved. Its climax was also terrible.

Probably RWBY after thinking of it's problems, especially with volumes 4 & 5, and suddenly lost interest. Have not seen volume 6, and don't plan to continue the series anytime soon.

Family Guy. The show, like many made during the time it debuted, became boring to watch. I grew up watching the show, and I thought it was one of the best shows ever, but the show suffers from fatigue, it hurts seeing this show fall into mediocrity, they should, if they haven't already, end it. It went as far as it will ever go, they should just pull the plug. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • Batman The Animated Series: For a show widely regarded as one of the "best animated shows of all time", it's writing was super predictable, and characters so unbelievably flat. But my biggest gripe is the animation. For Christ sake, it is so slow and unnatural.
  • Teen Titans: Super annoying show with barely no plot at all. And people say Teen Titans Go is bad.
  • Samurai Jack: Like Teen Titans, this show has no overarching plot. This is basically "Samurai Jack Fucks About In God Knows Where" and it gets super stale. And that ugly art style, just ugh.

• 1 month later...