Current State Of Fire Emblem Fan Translations

IkeClimbers

Hey guys, 

I wanted to play some older Fire Emblem games on original hardware (now that I finished every game released in North America), and I want to know which versions of each game is the most complete versions of the translations. I don’t care about FE1, FE2, or FE3, because those games have remakes, but of FE4, FE5, FE6, and FE12, which games are the most complete, and which ones are not? Are they still working to change the names to the NoA official names?

i suppose i can't give links to external ROM sites, althou if you search well there's pretty decent versions around the internet.

speaking in general, Genealogy is quite complete, except for some minor stuff like the intro demo, chapters titles and extra conversations when you teleport "married" couples to the same castle via staffs.

Binding Blade should be alright as it is.

not sure about the rest, as i have yet to play them.

probably someone else can give you better suggestions about the most improved/recent patches.

Genealogy's best translation is Project Naga, here on Serenes Forest.  And yes, it's also the most complete one for that game - the script, menu, and endings have all been translated.

Thracia's still a work in progress, but Cirosan's Project Exile is the most promising one.  The game does technically have a full script translation, but it's of very dubious quality, glitchy, and lacking a menu translation.  I strongly recommend just waiting for Cirosan to finish his translation, he thinks it might be done by April or May of this year.

Heroes of Light and Shadow has a translation on this site.  This is an update of that patch that you'll need to apply after the other one if you want to use the names that Heroes, Awakening, and Shadow Dragon all use.  It's pretty much a complete translation - I played through the entire game and encountered no untranslated bits or glitches.

All of them will of course need unpatched ROMs of the original games - typically any kind (headered or unheadered) will work, as the translators usually try to accomodate everyone.  And naturally, I can't help you find those.

16 minutes ago, IkeClimbers said:

Is there a way to patch a save file with all the “DLC” from FE12 onto a parched ROM? I want to play the DLC chapters in English as well.

There is. I've played through them in English, but I can't remember for the life of me how I did it. Bar the fact the DLC meant giving up the files I already had saved. I vaguely recall something about an option to "import" saves on the emulator. Maybe someone else remembers more.

28 minutes ago, Mad-manakete said:

There is. I've played through them in English, but I can't remember for the life of me how I did it. Bar the fact the DLC meant giving up the files I already had saved. I vaguely recall something about an option to "import" saves on the emulator. Maybe someone else remembers more.

if i remember correctly, you would need a specific "completed" save file + DLC file with all the DLCs unlocked already. i may be wrong thou, so don't take it for guaranteed.

Gaiden is fine... If you  want to play Gaiden. Iiirc NES Shadow Dragon and New Mystery are fine. Binding is also translated. Every Thracia or Geneology I've played has been half-English and half-Japanese. Admittedly it's been a while since I've tried translations of either, and honestly I don't remember if I did actually try Geneology tbf. I think I did though.