To those that do like it, what are your favorite aspects about Fates?

Decerd

Fates has become a rather controversial title in the game for many reasons, some good and some...not so good. Personally, I feel like Fates gets too much flak solely for it's storytelling, an issues every Fire Emblem game has struggled with, not just Fates alone. 

So, to those that do see the good in Fates, what do you like the most about it? For me, I generally like a good portion of the cast, I lean more towards the Conquest side than Birthright, and Birthright and Conquest have some solid gameplay as well. Not to mention My Castle was a rather interesting gameplay element, and the soundtrack is beyond amazing.

This topic has already been made once. 

Oh sorry, I don't like Fates which means I hate abslutely everything about it and can't talk about it's good aspects right? because the title says so.

UGH it feels like a revolt is happenning on SF and many people just join to keep the myth of a war that doesn't exist (Elitists vs Casuals) on. Face it elitists don't exist, nobody has probably ever told you to not play Conquest or to force you to play a certain way.

ANYWAY:

Music is good.

That's about it, difficulty is unfair hard unless you're playing on casual. And the formulas for stuff like Avoid and Hit are really bad and I don't like them.

you know those of us that don't like Fates aren't just "blinded" by toxicity if at all but actually have decent reasons for not liking them

You can dislike it and still enjoy some aspects of it?

I do like the maps in Conquest. Some of them are bad, but I find a majority to be enjoyable.

A lot of people find Conquest music enjoyable, but I don't and prefer Birthright instead. Birthright music feels like it has more life in it than the dull music in Conquest

1 minute ago, redlight said:

A lot of people find Conquest music enjoyable, but I don't and prefer Birthright instead. Birthright music feels like it has more life in it than the dull music in Conquest

In general I don't think Fates music is that good at all, I just said it's good to be able to post what I did because I'm so tired of the elitists myth.

It's ok that's something but also on the thing about maps, 12 and the cave one can go die. I hate them so much.

I really enjoy Conquest's early-midgame tbh. It's really solid up until... I'd say 17? Could be forgetting a few meh chapters but I generally love playing 7-16. But Ninja cave onwards is a slog and pretty lackluster.

And yeah, music. It's not to the same level as Awakening or SoV's OSTs to me personally, but it's got some great tracks.

also ophelia lmao gotta mention it somehow

gameplay wasn't a broken mess, so that's a plus, the story was an interesting idea at the very least, my castle made for a fun postgame

just better than awakening in most regards.

I still think it is a weaker entry in the series, don't get me wrong, but after awakening it is a step in a better direction, egregious fanservice is one thing, but garbage gameplay is unforgivable.

The title implies more people dislike it than like it, but I don't think that's true. It gets a ton of (deserved) criticism for its story, but the gameplay is great, best in the series imo. The soundtrack is also incredible.

Honestly, if the story was even just average quality it'd probably be my favorite FE game, but even if you can say most FEs struggle in story, Fates struggles much, much more and it puts a damper on things, especially since they hyped up the story so much in the lead up to the game's release.

I kind of do like of the idea of splitting it into multiple of copies with one being for beginners, the other being for veterans. It addresses both sides of the audiences quite well. Its something I feel Pokemon should try to do as well since it has a huge beginner/hardcore fanbase. I also like that the gender lock for most classes are gone. The only qualms I have gameplay wise is that it seems that the female Avatar was favored heavily than the male. 

As @eclipse said, music is great. So upsetting it only has one track in Smash.  

I do agree that Fates does get too much hate on its bad story, and less on Positives, such as music and gameplay. The other two I've played are Awakening and Echoes, and they have lots of flaw in story. For Awakening, they introduce this whole idea of time traveling, but its never explored deep enough. What they could have done was similar to PMD, where Robin and Chrom go into the future and discover the relationship with "Marth" and then learn about the dark future. I also don't really buy terribly that Parents would assume embrace and adore their supossed child after showing a Wedding ring, though at least it makes sense to have children in Awakening than it is in Fates.

The biggest problem with Echoes is that Celica's story essentially has her make terrible choices, which eventually causes her to become a damsel in distress, which means she becomes a trophy for Alm. On a bolder note, I feel that Celica's story is irrelevant and the game could have progressed just fine with Alm only. As mentioned earlier, Celica becomes a damsel in distress, but killing Duma is the main goal, not rescuing Celica. So saving her is more of a bonus. None of the characters on both routes interact with each other, thus really isolating the parties, which makes removing them much not as big of an issue. Take Berkut for example, he's an important character in Alm's route, but no relevance in Celica's path. Heck, I don't think Celica even knew that Berkut existed. As for Alm, the reveal of royalty basically screwed the whole idea that anyone can be anything/important is thrown out when Alm is the prince of Rigel. So in the end, only Royalty can save us, so if there dead, we're screwed. Oh well.

Anyway, these are my thoughts. Sorry if it got too long. 

1 hour ago, Critical Sniper said:

In general I don't think Fates music is that good at all, I just said it's good to be able to post what I did because I'm so tired of the elitists myth.

Lol. You posted 5 seconds before I posted my post?

The things I like most about Fates are the gameplay from Conquest and the cast of characters. 

Conquest is suitably hard and keeps giving you interesting scenarios to work with. 

While controversial and definitely not used to their full potential I think Fates has a pretty solid cast.

3 hours ago, Decerd said:

Personally, I feel like Fates gets too much flak solely for it's storytelling, an issues every Fire Emblem game has struggled with, not just Fates alone. 

I think that isn't really fair to the other Fire Emblems. I don't recall certain games like POR  or Stones struggling much with their stories at all and even if we were to assume Fire Emblem as a whole doesn't have good stories then Fates is still a special class of its own. Radiant Dawn's story had issues but it also has a lot of worthy moments despite that, Awakening is rushed but still coherent and Echoes charm helps cancel out its more questionable decisions.  In contrast the story of Fates never presents anything to make up for its bad moments. 

Edited by Etrurian emperor

I think the heart of the game it's the characters. I spent a very long time playing just getting the supports and then reading them, and it was a ton of fun. The story has its flaws for sure, Revelation, in particular, could have ended better, with more story and development near the end (I really wished they had shown a human Anankos at least), but since the game is basically split in three they had to cut corners somewhere. That said the three routes are all different and interesting in their on their own way, and I enjoyed playing through them all.

6 hours ago, redlight said:

From what little I've gotten into, I'm mostly on Birthright's side because I enjoy Japanese instruments thanks to Okami, while Conquest blurs somewhat.

Well, if I had to pick something I like, I'd say some of the supports (some of them, not all of them are great).

The music is great. And the art (not the class art, more or less the official art) we got is great as well.

Negatives are the story (sadly it's pretty mediocre, sadly), and the gameplay (who though allowing fliers with tomes to dodge and survive bows, which were made to slay fliers more often, was a smart idea?

I'll say the story is tolerable in Birthright, at least on its own.  Not very good, and there are some pretty stupid moments in it, but I'm willing to put up with it more than the story in the other paths.

I like some of the characters.  If it wasn't for my fandom over Oboro and Takumi, I'd say it's a fairly even split between the Hoshidan and Nohrian characters.

Gameplay is probably the best in the series.  I think the only thing that would make it better that I can imagine is if they allowed you to set an option to make the enemy AI semi-random like in Genealogy.

Music is nice, too.  When I was grinding for the first time, I actually really dug the track that was playing.

7 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

The only qualms I have gameplay wise is that it seems that the female Avatar was favored heavily than the male. 

There are enough games that do it the other way around that I honestly don't mind this.

7 hours ago, ZeManaphy said:

As @eclipse said, music is great. So upsetting it only has one track in Smash.  

Yeah, I thought that Road Taken and some of the other tracks that also featured in Warriors would be great ones to put in Smash.

Characters are great, music is great, good challenge (Conquest and Revelations mostly, but Birthright was also pretty fun and a nice change of pace after Conquest). There's not much I dislike about Fates other than how they made Pair Up less broken~

Well i know it says those that do like fates but i thought as a person that doesnt like it may as well say what i think they did good.

Combat animations. They arent as good as RD IMO but they improved from Awakening, plus the ninja are super cool. 

I liked the home base system in the other realm. There wasnt much i liked to do there but ive always liked the base system so it was nice that you could have a place to do your support conversations/prepare for the next chapter.

Speaking of support conversations, not all of them were very good but i appreciate how much content was made for the supports. its crazy how many support conversations there are. 

Character designs. Despite having bland personalities and 0 identitiy they did a great job with how all the characters were designed. It was nice a improvement from awakening. 

The gameplay is really good. And the large number of cast means there is bound to have some that I like.

The number of classes available, and combination of weapons in every class (that I can think of).

Dagger/Shuriken is a nice addition.

More weapons selection with different effects. Guard Naginata, Disrobing gale, etc etc...

Has a lot of good support conversation. Most of the times is the S-Support that irks me, but most C to A supports are interesting or at least enjoyable.    

Hrm, naming something I like is easy. Explaining why I like it without comparing it to some related deficiency or shortcoming in the game or to some other Fire Emblem game is tricky...

I like the decision to have exotic weapon types for the Hoshidan classes. Different weapons immediately imply different fighting styles, even when the weapons get classed as swords or "axes" at the end of the day.

I like wolfskin, even if I can never remember the name of the playable one, nor have I ever recruited his daughter. I'm guessing the inspiration of them is just werewolves, but visually their appearance is more reminiscent of a bear or wolverine which is delightfully unique. The way that guy's voice warps in that form is also pretty cool (though my stylistic preference is that transformed beast units can't speak English because they no longer have our shape of mouth to make those noises).

Fates in general is a lot of fan wishes wrapped into one, so I can't fault them for attempting these ideas in the first place. Seriously, before Fates was announced, two of the most common ideas I've heard people throw around were "I want a main character who discovers they're a manakete rather than another blue haired sword lord" and "I want a game where route splits return, but they're based on player choice and completely alter the story". While I can't forgive the blatant monetization of route splits and "true patch DLC", I have to acknowledge good ideas being good ideas regardless of execution.

The writing for Chapter 6 in Conquest is excellent, definitely the best chapter narratively in any of the three games and likely a highlight for the entire franchise. I love Corrin's rational explanation for such a hard choice "I just need some answers from father before I betray him", and the reactions from his hoshidan siblings are on point, especially Ryoma who has a moment of emotional weakness and denies that Corrin could really be acting of his own free will.

Music is the 2nd to only FE4 in the series.  

Map design in Conquest is some of the best in the series, the gameplay was just an absolute blast.

Like the eastern flair of classes/weapons for Hoshido

Forrest is one of the most progressive characters in the series, and just phenomenal design that breaks a lot of stereotypes.  Forrest enjoys dressing in female clothing, but does not identify as a woman.  He looks feminine, dresses like that, but he is heterosexual.  Leo being embarrassed by him and having trouble accepting it is probably much what many fathers would go through dealing with something of that sort.  Though he does eventually accept Forrest for who he is.

The mycastle while flawed in some ways was a fun diversion.

Kids are more balanced than in Awakening, and art character design is fairly attractive.

The gameplay of Conquest is the best in the series by a notable margin in a series whose strongest point is gameplay. Revelation and Birthright aren't shabby either, though they don't stand out in the same way since they don't have Conquest's brilliant stage design. They fixed/balanced pair up, same-turn reinforcements are gone, dragon veins are neat, weapon durability being gone is a change I didn't realize I needed.

Some excellent characters who deal with trauma and difficult situations in a way I'm not used to seeing from the series.

Excellent music, as others have said.

All told it's an outstanding game overall. Pretty sure it's my favourite game this decade.