With the addition of Heroic Grails to the game, do you feel it's "safer" to use GHB and TT units as fodder?

coldhand25

I'm curious about it.
For example, I've used some units like Oliver, Arvis... as a fodder before the Heroic Grails, as I figured they aren't really worth holding onto, since I can't +10 them anyway, I usually thought I'm going to keep 1 copy, and 5* it. I haven't used TT units though, as far as I remember. And I also used them only for rare skills, like Arvis for Def Ploy, Oliver for Mirror Strike.
Then Grails have been added, and it opens up more possibilities. I've already used up a Fallen Takumi for Fury for example, as I only have 3* Hinatas right now, and don't want to spend 2k feathers as I can get a Fallen Takumi any time I desire. This is good and all, but now it's also possible to +10 these units. Which means, of course, one would hesitate to use them as a fodder.
So my question is, did Heroic Grails made you feel you can "safely" use limited units as fodder, or quite the opposite, made you hold onto them, in hopes of getting them to +10 at some point?

Edited by coldhand25

For me it makes me feel more safe to use them. If I fodder a unit than I know that I am not very interested into the unit. Without grails I still hesitated a bit more. But knowing that I can get them back anytime if I want makes me use them as a fodder. The contradiction for me is that I always will prefer to use grails for merging, because I know that they are still scarce and merge projects take priority. Another thing is that foddering them again and again would make them just expensive.

But just knowing that I could take them back with grails makes me feel more comfortable foddering them

I'll give an example as to why I feel safer:

I have a +4 Masked Marth, I need 6 more copies to +10 her, I am given 20 to use my grails on. 20-6= 14, I have 14 spare copies left in the heroic grails menu. Take this idea and apply it to someone like Linus or M!Kana who have very good skill fodder. Once I +10 them, I am left with at least another 10 copies of said unit. At that point, it might as well be skill fodder at that point and even then I struggle to think of 10 units I want to give Brazen Def/Res. I hope I was clear in my explanation.

I def. feel safer. I mean it would be nice if it wasn't only 20 copies in Total, but 20 is better than none (for most cases) so the ones I wanna +10 will be +10'ed and then i can fodder the rest (for example, unless Hinoka drops anytime soon, I'd like Hone Fliers on a few other units (Leanne for example, if i put her on a non beast team). Michalis was the unit i planned to +10 (Xander too, way eventually, but if i get another Surtr, it might be that). and they have no fodder. I'd do Marth (I only have 1 copy (sadly), so boo. 

everyone else was born for Fodder (I might get the units i don't even have) - Finn, Tobin, Joshua etc. 

Naesala will be tough. i like him
but swift sparrow, dude.

Edited by daisy jane

Less safe, but I'm not sure Heroic Grails are the only reason. I stopped doing as much inheritance a while before they were added, and I've started getting close to upgrading the last few of my unique units to 5*. Once I finish that, I'll probably start using most of my feathers on merges, with some TT/GHB units like BK, Eliwood, Dorcas, and Camus as pretty high priorities. Eliwood and Camus are two units I've used extra copies of for fodder in the past, which is a bit frustrating now since each of those would need an extra 500 grails to +10.

It's very unsafe.

I was thinking about doing +10 Cecilia, since I've built her with Close Counter & Vengeful Fighter so she can tank, but then I think about having to save 200,000 feathers and ~2500 HG to boost her stats and I'm like screw that lol.

I feel more safe yeah. Before I almost never foddered off a GHB/TT unit and now I feel free to as long as I keep at least one copy. Though it will probably be a while before I spend any grails at all, they're just so rare and I absolutely despise playing AR so I'm just too scared to spend any in case I need them for something else more later.

While I could do it, I don't think I'll use it all that much. Since grails are prettey scarce, at least for now, all of them are going on my GHB/TT merge projects (Aversa, then Naesala, then Smallzura). It will take a while till I have spare grails for fodder

A little, I guess. For the most part, I've already foddered off many of the free units that I have no intention of ever merging (just 5* at best, since they're usually AA third-stringers or worse), so it only gives me marginal reassurance knowing that if I absolutely have to fodder something that I intend to merge—which is basically only ever going to happen if it's an absolutely critical premium ability for one of my primary teams—I'm not locked out of +10. Grails are precious enough that there's very, very few scenarios where I can imagine doing that, though.

Yes very much so. Im not into +10 any of the GHB Units so its mostly for fodder for me. if i ever decide to +10 any of my guys it will Naesala and Joshua but you get so few Grails the grind doesnt feel worth it. 

Where they ever not fodder? I mean unless you're playing a "collect them all", I don't see the point of keeping units that you won't use. Almost all the GHB/TT units I don't like (most of them) are combat manuals or already foddered off. But I also foddered away the free Fjorm and the next two I got, so maybe I don't count.

Also the Heroic Grail system is SO slow, so any Grails I get are going straight to +10 projects. So if anything I'm the same level of careful about foddering them off, because I like to make sure the RIGHT character gets the skills.

I've managed to get Joshua to +6, but that's taken forever. Brave!Eliwood will probably be out before I finish Joshua and get on to my next project (LA!Eliwood). So I'd probably be more willing to randomly fodder off the GHB/TT units if there was an easier way to attain Grails. Until then, I'll keep foddering them off, but only when I get a good unit to inherit their skills.

32 minutes ago, Ice Dragon said:

Not at all. The rate that Grails are obtained is still stupidly slow, so it's hard for me to justify spending them on fodder instead of merges.

This is me, some of my favs are TT/GHB units so I need every grail for merges.  I don't really do intense SI right now and I am more focused on merging all my top favs to +10 it takes a bunch of gails  to do that.

18 minutes ago, Kiran_ said:

Where they ever not fodder? I mean unless you're playing a "collect them all", I don't see the point of keeping units that you won't use. Almost all the GHB/TT units I don't like (most of them) are combat manuals or already foddered off. But I also foddered away the free Fjorm and the next two I got, so maybe I don't count.

Also the Heroic Grail system is SO slow, so any Grails I get are going straight to +10 projects. So if anything I'm the same level of careful about foddering them off, because I like to make sure the RIGHT character gets the skills.

I've managed to get Joshua to +6, but that's taken forever. Brave!Eliwood will probably be out before I finish Joshua and get on to my next project (LA!Eliwood). So I'd probably be more willing to randomly fodder off the GHB/TT units if there was an easier way to attain Grails. Until then, I'll keep foddering them off, but only when I get a good unit to inherit their skills.

See, that was it. I didn't keep those units to collect them all, I kept not foddering them cause I was afraid another unit would need that fodder more later and then I'd be out of copies. Now I feel a little safer to just fodder my copies as soon as a unit needs them cause if another unit later also really needs that skill I could always use grails to get another copy.

Personally, no. I rather have two 5*+10 copies and a third 5*+# copy than to use any as fodder.

1 hour ago, Mau said:

See, that was it. I didn't keep those units to collect them all, I kept not foddering them cause I was afraid another unit would need that fodder more later and then I'd be out of copies. Now I feel a little safer to just fodder my copies as soon as a unit needs them cause if another unit later also really needs that skill I could always use grails to get another copy.

That makes senseee. My only thing that kept me pretty timely is because of the constant powercreep! First gen TT/GHB units rarely have good skills. So when I get too indecisive, I just remember they're gonna become obsolete in a few months and it helps me bite the bullet!

Huh, interesting, though not unexpected. I do save grails right now actually, as I'm waiting for a GHB/TT unit I want to +10 (Lyon and Valter are already here, but I'm waiting for other Sacred Stones units, before I start spending on them... there are quite a few I want to see in Heroes...) I want to save up enough grails to use them in one go, so I can't change my mind while building a unit. However I do feel safer to fodder off units I already have.

How many months ago did we get Grails?  4 or 5?  As stated before, they are still a limited resource that is very limited.  I've been using them on only Aversa since we got them, and she's still not +10'd.  I'd love to +10 several of my cavalry units like Xander, Camus, and Ethlyn, but at the rate we get Grails, that is still years away.

Nothing is safe, nothing!  Really price goes up for extra copies regardless of if you use them to merge or fodder.  I much rather use those precious grails to merge up the IMO 2 exceptional unique units we have gotten so far.  Aversa and Naesala.  

Now extra copies we get from GHB, the extra from TT yeah I am fine foddering those away for a skill if it is really good.  However I am not going to the grail shop for skills, probably not until Aversa and Naesala are +10, but then maybe not even then cause who knows what other free powerhouses we will get.

9 minutes ago, Rezzy said:

How many months ago did we get Grails?  4 or 5?  As stated before, they are still a limited resource that is very limited.  I've been using them on only Aversa since we got them, and she's still not +10'd.  I'd love to +10 several of my cavalry units like Xander, Camus, and Ethlyn, but at the rate we get Grails, that is still years away.

Three. They were implemented on November 8.