was originally going to do a run with my guild leaders for each game, but because fencer is not a base class I just really didn't feel motivated to do that team just yet.

So I made another one. Currently running through the game with hero, shogun, highlander, zodiac, and survivor. I have no healer lol

Just to carry this out of the FEH General Discussion:

6 hours ago, JSND Alter Dragon Boner said:

Was there a specific lore about them in 4?

Imperialists are ordinary humans, so I don't see so much of an issue there. But the issue with Arcanists is that they are Vessels and Vessels as the 6th Labyrinth states were created to help in the Yggdrasil project on the scientific side of things, while the Sentinels/Bushi were created to be bodyguards since the post-apocalyptic world is implied to have been filled with monsters.

Necro otoh i miss really hard. Its the only Summoner class i particularly enjoy in V T_T

I'll have to agree that Necro > Rover, and Bunkers/Turrets were just a small part of Dragoons' arsenal. I do like the contrast between Necro and Rover- one loyal undying summon vs. continually sacrificing disposable ones. But Rover, I've only done Healing Hound so far, I think is still affected by how EO treated the Survivalist. It being a master of none, a jack of all trades, dilutes its potency (ignore EOI Survivalist- that I hear was godly). Sniper had Binds and Silver Arrow and Volley Shot, but it was still rather lackluster. The dedicated Bow shooter needs a little more flair.

Honestly i feel Farmer is the one class that "feel" out of place and theres kinda way too many Ailments class around although i don't feel its that bad since Ailment is what makes EO.... EO

Agreed, EO is unusual in how incredible Binds and Ailments are. I can count on two hands how many times I'd use ailments in all of Final Fantasy, which is less than the number of times I'd use inflictions in a single Stratum. My very first team was Bind/Ail in EOIV, the same in V, and I was missing them on EOU Classic.

And speaking of Necro earlier, Poison Bomb is da bomb! I didn't think it'd last very long in usefulness, like DH's Viper, yet properly leveled it deals incredible damage in randoms through the 5th Stratum (I did have Wilting Miasma too however). Who needs elements when I have Poison? Flare and Ice Bombs were definitely underpowered on Spirit Evoker.

2 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Just to carry this out of the FEH General Discussion:

Imperialists are ordinary humans, so I don't see so much of an issue there. But the issue with Arcanists is that they are Vessels and Vessels as the 6th Labyrinth states were created to help in the Yggdrasil project on the scientific side of things, while the Sentinels/Bushi were created to be bodyguards since the post-apocalyptic world is implied to have been filled with monsters.

I'll have to agree that Necro > Rover, and Bunkers/Turrets were just a small part of Dragoons' arsenal. I do like the contrast between Necro and Rover- one loyal undying summon vs. continually sacrificing disposable ones. But Rover, I've only done Healing Hound so far, I think is still affected by how EO treated the Survivalist. It being a master of none, a jack of all trades, dilutes its potency (ignore EOI Survivalist- that I hear was godly). Sniper had Binds and Silver Arrow and Volley Shot, but it was still rather lackluster. The dedicated Bow shooter needs a little more flair.

Agreed, EO is unusual in how incredible Binds and Ailments are. I can count on two hands how many times I'd use ailments in all of Final Fantasy, which is less than the number of times I'd use inflictions in a single Stratum. My very first team was Bind/Ail in EOIV, the same in V, and I was missing them on EOU Classic.

And speaking of Necro earlier, Poison Bomb is da bomb! I didn't think it'd last very long in usefulness, like DH's Viper, yet properly leveled it deals incredible damage in randoms through the 5th Stratum (I did have Wilting Miasma too however). Who needs elements when I have Poison? Flare and Ice Bombs were definitely underpowered on Spirit Evoker.

Beast mostly comes from how versatile their picks are and we're talking CLASS pick. Its the one class where all 4 Race performs very well in due to Beast Status Roll used for Ailments. That said i feel Hound Rover falls into standard EOV trap of Wilting Miasma, since they doesn't seem hyper reliable on panic infilction without it. Notable due to how absurdly potent panic was

A niche they kinda had is being one of 2 class who have 2 Defense debuff on kit, Necro with Wraith Cry and Banefire Breath, Surv with Rain of Ruin and Target Arrow. Aerial Talon is a strong mid-level offensive skill no matter what, and theres Hell Slash interaction to consider. I kinda like Rover as a whole due to how much their aspects can be taked advantage of.

Survivalist was actually.... kinda weird in that in Nexus their skill are part of the strongest known damage output in the entire game, while in Untold they have a strong niche due to how busted the Item Multiplier skill are, allowing them to be Medic+. I would admit when i run the game i dropped my Survivalist for.... well, Survivalist Stats on a Landschnekt to spam Falcon Slash lmao

And yeah poison bomb is OP early on, but it didn't quite match the sheer kickassery of Boosted Viper on EOU. EOU boosted Viper was so good its part of why EOU DH is so hideously overpowered. I would argue EOU DH was the single biggest power difference between class in the series in fact, on par with EO3 Gladiator. Theres literally not a single set up in EOU that isn't a Dark hunter Alter Class, and outside that boosted viper and Ectasy is the single most powerful move besides Dragon Torrent and Land Slash, both the signature of post game bosses and the later literally from the strongest boss in the game

Just got into third stratum and rather soon the game throws a map FOE on your face

Manage to beat it and it drops a ridiculously good shiled. 17 DEF and 3 STR is really strong and now my Hero spikes up to be the undisputed storngest member on the team

I've heard about how absurd Shield attacks could get in this game but this is kinda asinine lol

Even on bed, F! O! E! ... Do you even understand how perverted that sounds ? :p

So ! How's the game so far ? I've heard from bad source that the balance was ultra-weird.

Edited by B.Leu

21 minutes ago, B.Leu said:

Even on bed, F! O! E! ... Do you even understand how perverted that sounds ? :p

So ! How's the game so far ? I've heard from bad source that the balance was ultra-weird.

The balance is fine early on. Honestly most of the complaint is kinda weird since nothing in Nexus so far is as ridiculous as stuff you'd normally find in 5 like 9999 HP shenanigans and Pugilist or Cannon Dragoon as a whole.

Hero lives up to Atlus claim that they are going to be stronger than your average class, but it doesn't really hurt the game outside of one fight where it seems to be specifically designed around a skill in hero's skill pool

If theres anything i complain about its how Sovereign is ridiculously dominant, due to being the only buffer class.

Force Boost and Force Break is probably where some of their balancing become a bit wonky? Hero Force Boost is particularly notable - average Force boost is a 40% damage booster, but Hero is a MASSIVE 130%. This is largely because Hero's Afterimage mechanic is a sort of pseudo charge and didn't retain buff but its glaringly powerful since it didn't lock you into charge -> Attack pattern

But all in all the 19 class largely had a thing to offers, so you don't need to run the cookie cutter "OP TEAM" everytime.

For the game itself, one thing the game really did well in is how well stuff are presented. Stratums and Boss fights had more of a stronger atmosphere behind it. Stratums are generally much shorter than older games, 3 floor vs old games 5 floors and all. If theres something to complain about its that you'd be sick of forest since a lot of the early stratum is forest from various EO games.  This in turn gave you a tons of bossfights though

Edited by JSND Alter Dragon Boner

Reached the fifth Labyrith and i gotta say i'm liking what they did for Shield Based builds in this game, Shield Hero is currently my strongest unit. hopefully this keeps up and the keep adding good shields as time goes on

• 3 weeks later...

Alright reached 11th stratum with Imperial/Hero/Sovereign/Harbinger/Gunner

Imperial is pretty much what i expected it to be a fun burst damage oriented class. In the long run they are kind of a worse version of Cannon Dragoon, which kind of says a lot how messed up EOV Cannon Dragoon used to be. Imperial have much lower damage relative to the game they are in, took roughly the same amount of preparation for their skils, and much less tanky 

I probably build my Hero wrong(not using the popular Hero/Imperial for one) , but i can see why they are considered broken. They are situationally good when Spark Blade is up, and Regiment Rave is pretty strong. But doesn't seem so broken as a whole. Certainly very good since they can fit in everything and their SP efficiency is kind of dumb

Sovereign on the other hand is actually broken. On top of the ussual Broken Buffer shenanigans, they comes up with ridiculously good passive healing. After a while, their Order skills is practically Line Heal+++ and their Force Boost turns it into Group Heal ++++. Final Decree is basically reusable Force Break which is kinda amusing. Force Break is somewhat problematic because the idea is you need 2 buff+ before it reach Final Decree level but Final Decree is super late into the game, and requires them to have 3 buff, sometimes easier said than done because their buff is line, they are usually in the backline(despite being ridiculously bulky. Go figure)

Harbinger being designed after Deathguard does the class a huge favor since it now truly lives up to what Deathguard is supposed to be capable of in V - a very extensive class with fluid skill usage. The big addition here is instant miasma armor cast, being freed of 10 Skill points system, and Enduring Armor(miasma dismissal now cosumes a charge based on Miasma Armor counter) + Infinite Miasma all of which adds up to being able to spam Atonements/Spirit Barrier. Now they can use their skills to fuel their Miasma charges, use their charge for emergency skills that can handle whatever gimmick the enemy throws at you. The Wilting Miasma returns, but now its split into two separate skills that adds a relapse effect to the whole thing. Also a good row attacking skills thats dirt cheap and SP efficient, and their Force Break is quite literally Sovereign without requiring any set up whatsoever.

Harbinger's good. If they had as crazy of a passive heals they would be as broken as Sovereign. As it stands now they are amongst 5 best class in the game, and is used in almost every post game cheese comp.

Gunner starts fairly lame, but useful. Before L20 they are basically Binder and being able to Arm Bind means the world. They do have inaccurate main line moves which i never used. After 20, they get their Act Quick Charge Shot combo and their efficiency shot through the roof. With 8 TP over 2 turns they are able to murder every single mob, and does craploads of damage to FOE which makes up for their charge -> attacking playstyle. Doing this in the backline is crazy too, and their Force Boost makes them even better, doubling up the chance of Binds, and significant damage boost.

By 40 they become even stupider, Elemental Rounds allows them to finally have an answer against Stab Resistant enemies, and Penetrator and Multi Shot makes them able to get much higher value off their skills. The best part? Multi Shot can proc off double action so you can potentially use skill 4 times at once for sweet, sweet, 280% damage boost. Also Riot Gun is broken which is to be expected from a free turn move

So yeah gunner's insanely good.

Game is stupidly long though. Almost 50 hours in and im at beginning of 11th Labyrinth of 13

My party is Hero/Imperial/Ninja/Arcanist/Sovereign. Sovereign quickly replaced War Magus because they are apparently kinda bad as Main class. I just started teh Petal Bridge (and still have Chameleon King's dungeon to take care off at some point.). The Southern Dungeon Boss was quite the challenge.

Hero are cool. The fact that Saprk Blade totally destroy Golem (and Burst Blade agaist Fenrir in a lesser measure), is even better. Bulky, Strong... They're all around great.

And yeah, Svereign are really good. With the passive healing of Arcanist and Hero, rarely ever needs help.

Arcanists are pretty cool, even if their Circle have low activation rate and always hit last. Their Force Boost actually allows them to be pretty cool. Their passive allows them to never be out of TP and offers additional healing. Atrophic Eye and Charm Eye allows them not to be sitting duck during the battle.

Ninja can flee really easily. That's a huge bonus against FOE and normal encounter, so that's always a nice bonus. They're great at inflicting status ailments as well, have great avoid and can hit any units from the backrow. Bonecrusher and Atrphic Eye also stack apparently. And since my party relies on Therica and Nectar, having a speedy units is always good. I gave mine equipment to boost its TP, allowing him to be extra useful. They really don't need clones to be useful, and are all around useful.

Imperial are maybe the most disappointing. They hit realy hard, but TP and hit are an issue especially early on. and they die quite easily. Still, they hit really hard, and now I finally have a build that boost their Hit Rate and TP enough. and their normal attack does good damage in normal encounter.

Edited by Tamanoir

16 hours ago, Tamanoir said:

My party is Hero/Imperial/Ninja/Arcanist/Sovereign. Sovereign quickly replaced War Magus because they are apparently kinda bad as Main class. I just started teh Petal Bridge (and still have Chameleon King's dungeon to take care off at some point.). The Southern Dungeon Boss was quite the challenge.

Hero are cool. The fact that Saprk Blade totally destroy Golem (and Burst Blade agaist Fenrir in a lesser measure), is even better. Bulky, Strong... They're all around great.

And yeah, Svereign are really good. With the passive healing of Arcanist and Hero, rarely ever needs help.

Arcanists are pretty cool, even if their Circle have low activation rate and always hit last. Their Force Boost actually allows them to be pretty cool. Their passive allows them to never be out of TP and offers additional healing. Atrophic Eye and Charm Eye allows them not to be sitting duck during the battle.

Ninja can flee really easily. That's a huge bonus against FOE and normal encounter, so that's always a nice bonus. They're great at inflicting status ailments as well, have great avoid and can hit any units from the backrow. Bonecrusher and Atrphic Eye also stack apparently. And since my party relies on Therica and Nectar, having a speedy units is always good. I gave mine equipment to boost its TP, allowing him to be extra useful. They really don't need clones to be useful, and are all around useful.

Imperial are maybe the most disappointing. They hit realy hard, but TP and hit are an issue especially early on. and they die quite easily. Still, they hit really hard, and now I finally have a build that boost their Hit Rate and TP enough. and their normal attack does good damage in normal encounter.

Imperial kind of become much more sustainable after subclassing. Between their TP passive that make them get a refund from hitting weakness, and the popular Imperial/Zodiac set up where Zodiac give you TP from finishing blow. They are actually ridiculously sustainable for me that often they stayed at 200 TP when the entire team is at half. That said i also have the Hit Scope on them 24/7(50 TP and massive hitrate increase so good)

If everything else fails, Impulse Edge. At 40 Imperial's only good Drive is Accel(kind of, Ele Drive is still good and cost lower TP making it easy to fit on rotation but theres nearly no situation where theyre significantly stronger than Accel. I believe even Arms Weakness targetting Ele Drive loses out to Accel) and their combo line have issue in a sense that Natural Edge is way too good, while Charge Edge is your combo plays. So you have tons of TP to spare to try and go for Impulse. It refunds around 18 TP on Natural -> Impulse rotation.

A funny trick you can use with Imperial is after you find a shortcut, if your Imperial TP is much more dried than everyone else, go into battle, pop Force Break, Ariadne back to town, and go back to dungeon. This will replenish their MP for free.

• 2 weeks later...

Finished the entirety of the game, with 1 "bossfight" remaining. No, its not the bonus boss

As a whole it have EO's ussual stuff - its extremely easy to be overlevelled, at some point the game simply can't keep up with you, especially if you started clearing bonus dungeons. Money gathering is so easy to the point of being trivial. But post game challenge picked back up(this is why there is 3 post game dungeon, with 2 being small labyrinth and the harder one of them being the ultimate grinding map of the series) until you get enough of the uncapped levels(from beating the dragons) and ultimate gears,, after which it drops until it finally picks back up with the Superbosses of the game

The superbosses are fairly brutal though. I had a super lucky break with the first one, and a really hard time with the second.

Main criticism is the huge amount of dungeons is largely filled with Forest, and theres simply too much shrines. Some floor of the shrines is bloated for no reason(theres like.... no puzzle. Only walking around because they think reverse circular map is cool)

• 2 weeks later...

Haven't gotten this game yet, but I'm inching closer to doing so.

Still undecided about my team! I want to use the new and shiny Hero, that is certain. I'm thinking a non-clone Ninja with dodgetanking, but I'm really hopeless. Since there are so many other classes and I can't decide what to do. 

I was going to go Hero-Ninja-Afterimage/Zodiac-Harbinger-Something + Farmer on the Memory Conch. I could be daring and try a four-person team, so Hero and Ninja could both run their doubles, but then I really need to be careful about my other duo, and it seems risky for a first run. It is tempting though, and maybe I'd then name everyone Bishamon, Jikoku, Zoucho, and Koumoku.

On 3/27/2019 at 10:13 PM, Interdimensional Observer said:

Haven't gotten this game yet, but I'm inching closer to doing so.

Still undecided about my team! I want to use the new and shiny Hero, that is certain. I'm thinking a non-clone Ninja with dodgetanking, but I'm really hopeless. Since there are so many other classes and I can't decide what to do. 

I was going to go Hero-Ninja-Afterimage/Zodiac-Harbinger-Something + Farmer on the Memory Conch. I could be daring and try a four-person team, so Hero and Ninja could both run their doubles, but then I really need to be careful about my other duo, and it seems risky for a first run. It is tempting though, and maybe I'd then name everyone Bishamon, Jikoku, Zoucho, and Koumoku.

So basically of the class you chose

Hero - Is an all rounder, but what rounds them out is passive Healing, as noted by their Force Break. Hero can attack with all elements, specialize in 2 separate attack type, and can serve as full on offense or offense and defense. I'd like to note that their ultimate move used power of friendship(TM) which encourages using 2 DPS to maximize both the Afterimage and self damage

Zodiac - they are strong early on and falls over as the game goes on, by the end they are a sort of dps support hybrid which hurts when you compare it to pure DPS

Ninja - non clone is fine, Ninja is more of an ailment class with dodge tanking this time around

Harb - essentially a more ailment specialized side of Sovereign

4 Man Hero Team is commonly used to fill your frontline with 2 afterimage for massive damage but can be somewhat RNG

I think the team is fine, for 5th slot you can add buffer to back up Etheric Gleam, or another DPS

• 1 year later...

Started playing yesterday, got to Lush Woodlands. Feels like home. 🥰 

I have to say I was rather disappointed when Nexus was announced instead of an EOIII remake but I think this "best of" concept already started growing on me. Gonna take it slow and enjoy the nostalgia trip.

Digressing, dusting off my n3DS has been a rather nice experience. What most people who aren't accustomed to glasses less 3D probably don't realize is you have to work with the 3D slider. While swapping back and forth between the upper and lower screen I don't need max 3D. Battles on the other hand look great and that's when I crank it up.

Will miss this effect on future entries.