Which units do you love as a character but wish were better units?

Archanea

Abel strikes out to me as a guy that I quite like, but I wish he wasn't one of the latecomer prepromotes in the Book 2 story.  Granted he's still usable, but he's not gonna be as good as units you've been building up since the beginning.  I also think Minerva could've been a better unit in some respects, but then she'd essentially just be a Sirius 2.0 if she was too good; she isn't bad by any accounts, but you already have three other fliers who are quite solid, and they're all eventually gonna be better than her if you use them (Catria in particular can quite easily reach the same defense stat as Minerva, which is the one thing she usually has over your other mobile units at the time of her recruitment).

Jugdral

Every single unit that isn't a mounted unit in Genealogy could qualify.  But in particular I'll list Ayra, her kids, Tailtiu, Tine, Johalva, and both Lachesis and Leif before their promotions.  There's exactly one thing that holds so many units in that game back, and it's their limited mobility which is oh so important in Genealogy.  Even units with holy blood are held back when they don't have mounts to ride, it's ridiculously unfair.

Ylisse

Awakening doesn't have characters that are bad so much as units that aren't as great as others.  One of those units that I also like are Virion, who is just a shadow of the potential that Noire has.  And I'd also say Henry starts off on a particularly rocky start, while his counterpart joins with stats more appropriate to the chapter she joins in.  Maribelle is yet another one you need to really work with if you want to see any good progress - she needs to healbot to hell and back if she wants to ever catch up with Lissa, and in the end she might get outpaced anyway by her own son.  I won't include any of the children here because they can be virtually anything you make them, but I will say that the hardest paralogues for me that contained units I liked have always been Inigo's and Nah's - and by virtue of their difficulty, I'm forced to recruit those units way later than I should be recruiting level 10's.

Fateslandia

If I take into consideration all the Fates royals, then everyone will pale in comparison because the Fates royals are all objectively better than their counterparts of the same classes.  Outside of their umbrella of misguided balance, I really wish Hana wouldn't die so easily.  I would also love if Rinkah could get some actual stats in strength, that Charlotte could get some defense, that Rhajat wouldn't miss all the damn time, and that Flora could actually show up earlier than goddamn Chapter 19 with more than two support trees.  And I wish Arthur wasn't so accident prone.

Valentia

In Echoes, I'd definitely list Valbar.  Low mobility sucks as it is, but pretty much every single map in Celica's path after meeting two of the most mobile units in the game is either a desert or a swamp until you get to a lategame forest labyrinth.  Lukas suffers the same as Valbar but it isn't as extreme on account of Alm's route being a bit fairer to your mobility.  And Mycen, while definitely good enough for endgame, I just wish he could come along for postgame.

20 hours ago, MagicCanonBalls said:

"wind mage=smart guy" trope.

I remember how Levin was the smartest man in all of Jugdral.

He was particularly smart with the ladies.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/8/2019 at 8:23 PM, Aera said:

Valbar. He's completely phased out because of the mercenaries, mages, and fliers. Slow move and really bad terrain. You can re-class him into cavalier fortunately, but has low growths. ):

Isn’t cavalier no better on Celica’s route because of terrain issues?

Dorcas is the only real unit I can think of where I ditch him because of his performance. He just always ends up so slow and coupled with his low defense he dies easily and doesn’t really provide anything other axe users aren’t able to do better or at least to the same extent as him.

• 3 weeks later...

Forde is my favorite Sacred Stones character because I just love his character. He has some great support conversations where he comes across as a chill and friendly person to his peers and his brother Franz while also being a committed retainer to Ephraim. I also find his painting hobby and the reason he grew to like it quite captivating. As a unit though, he's pretty much outclassed by almost all of the other cavaliers in Sacred Stones; even his brother generally becomes the better unit.

Virion is another character that comes to mind for the topic. He's pathetic as an archer in a game where Archers just aren't good, but he's still one of my favorite characters in the series. Initially coming across as a flirt with his introduction, he turns out to be a much more than that. He actually is quite chivalrous with how he treats his woman and will go as far as taking action when women aren't treated properly. He even knows how to respect a woman's boundaries like his supports with Olivia where they move to a different part of the room because she is afraid of doing duet dances in front of others. His backstory, leadership, and his talents are also good to stuff to hear about.

1 minute ago, Erureido said:

Forde is my favorite Sacred Stones character because I just love his character. He has some great support conversations where he comes across as a chill and friendly person to his peers and his brother Franz while also being a committed retainer to Ephraim. I also find his painting hobby and the reason he grew to like it quite captivating. As a unit though, he's pretty much outclassed by almost all of the other cavaliers in Sacred Stones; even his brother generally becomes the better unit.

Virion is another character that comes to mind for the topic. He's pathetic as an archer in a game where Archers just aren't good, but he's still one of my favorite characters in the series. Initially coming across as a flirt with his introduction, he turns out to be a much more than that. He actually is quite chivalrous with how he treats his woman and will go as far as taking action when women aren't treated properly. He even knows how to respect a woman's boundaries like his supports with Olivia where they move to a different part of the room because she is afraid of doing duet dances in front of others. His backstory, leadership, and his talents are also good to stuff to hear about.

Virion is so underappreciated as a character. I love the Hell out of him, even if I do kind of view him as a diet Bastian (but being a diet version of my favorite character in the franchise is NOT a bad thing).

Also love Forde. He is by far the most interesting of the Christmas knights in the series. All of the others pale in comparison to his personality, and he is so damn well written that he even makes the stick-in-the-mud Kyle a likeable, effective foil.

I wish the trainee trio in SS were more viable (though the survival horror challenge run Mekkah showed off is quite a fun way to use them), but other than that, until Fates I only had one real example:

I wish Ike, who had Ragnell since less than halfway through the game, would have chosen to actually fucking use it before the exact moment he fights the Black Knight. It would make him such a better unit than he turned out to be in PoR.

As for Fates, so many units. I wish Subaki’s speed wasn’t garbage, I wish Orochi’s speed wasn’t hot garbage, I wish Rinkah could fight worth a damn because her class looks so damned cool, I wish Kaden had more oomph behind his attacks given stones’ low might and unforgeability, and I wish Kana, Dwyer, and half the child units’ growths weren’t so abysmal compared to their parents.

On 2019-03-03 at 4:59 PM, Alastor15243 said:

I wish Ike, who had Ragnell since less than halfway through the game, would have chosen to actually fucking use it before the exact moment he fights the Black Knight. It would make him such a better unit than he turned out to be in PoR.

Ike is already extremely powerful in Path of Radiance, and him having Ragnell early on would have been extremely OP. 

2 minutes ago, vanguard333 said:

Ike is already extremely powerful in Path of Radiance, and him having Ragnell early on would have been extremely OP. 

The main issue is that he's 1-range locked nearly the whole game because of that impossible-to-rationalize character action, which is annoying on hard and is apparently a kiss of death on Maniac, though I haven't played that.

Edited by Alastor15243

4 minutes ago, Alastor15243 said:

The main issue is that he's 1-range locked nearly the whole game because of that impossible to rationalize decision, which is annoying on hard and is apparently a kiss of death on Maniac, though I haven't played that.

Okay; I'll agree to him being 1-range locked being pretty bad, though that's an issue shared by every swordsman with low magic in Path of Radiance; Mia, Zihark, Stefan, and Lucia...

7 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Okay; I'll agree to him being 1-range locked being pretty bad, though that's an issue shared by every swordsman with low magic in Path of Radiance; Mia, Zihark, Stefan, and Lucia...

Well, those are all pretty bad, except Stefan thanks to his great base level and stats, and even he (afaik) is still quite a ways away from the best. Swords in PoR are just terrible to be locked into.

On 3/5/2019 at 2:20 AM, ping said:

Well, those are all pretty bad, except Stefan thanks to his great base level and stats, and even he (afaik) is still quite a ways away from the best. Swords in PoR are just terrible to be locked into.

Zihark is at least viable. Not top tier or anything, but far from the worst. And with his build in Adept and solid bases, he's useful right from the start.

And in Radiant Dawn, he's a must have.

2 hours ago, Etheus said:

Zihark is at least viable. Not top tier or anything, but far from the worst. And with his build in Adept and solid bases, he's useful right from the start.

And in Radiant Dawn, he's a must have.

In radiant dawn he’s a prepromote with awesome bases but still great growths, access to 1-2 range, and free rein to support with earth affinities to become a dodge god.

On 3/3/2019 at 3:59 PM, Alastor15243 said:

As for Fates, so many units. I wish Subaki’s speed wasn’t garbage, I wish Orochi’s speed wasn’t hot garbage, I wish Rinkah could fight worth a damn because her class looks so damned cool, I wish Kaden had more oomph behind his attacks given stones’ low might and unforgeability, and I wish Kana, Dwyer, and half the child units’ growths weren’t so abysmal compared to their parents.

Bold: Ironically, I think a good deal of the fathers themselves have lots of room for improvement...

• Kaze and Niles need better everything except speed and resistance (other than magic for Kaze)
  • Silas needs better speed
  • Subaki, as you stated, needs better speed
  • Hinata could also use better speed
  • Arthur needs a personal skill that doesn't render him a massive liability that a light breeze could kill him, as well as better luck
  • Odin could afford better bases
  • Laslow's lacking in speed and defense
Edited by Shadow Mir

On 2019-03-05 at 3:20 AM, ping said:

Zihark, Stefan and Ike are all very viable units, stat-wise, with very solid base stats and growths. 

Mia having vantage means she would be viable... if only she had more strength. 

I agree that being sword-locked in Path of Radiance is not that good, because you don't have a 1-2 range option unless you have a decent magic stat. But Ike, Stefan and Zihark are all still really good units. 

• 2 weeks later...

@vanguard333 - "viable" isn't exactly a rare feature for a unit in PoR to have. Rolf is viable. Sure, Zihark and Ike can easily hold their own against the enemies, but compared to the majority of the other playable units, I don't think they can hold up all that well.

Fun fact: Ike's base stats are virtually identical to Roy's (+1 HP, Skl / -1 Lck).

16 hours ago, ping said:

Fun fact: Ike's base stats are virtually identical to Roy's (+1 HP, Skl / -1 Lck).

Actually...

Spoiler
Name Class Lv HP Str Skl Wlv Spd Lck Def Res Mov
FE 1 Marth Lord 1 18 5 3 5 7 7 7 0 7

Name Class Lv HP Str Skl Spd Lck Wlv Def Res Mov
FE3 B1 Marth Lord 1 18 5 6 7 7 6 7 0 7

Roy Lord Lv 1 HP 18 Str 5 Skl 5 Spd 7 Lck 7 Def 5 Res 0

Eliwood Lord Lv 1 HP 18 Str 5 Skl 5 Spd 7 Lck 7 Def 5 Res 0

Ike Ranger Lv 1 HP 19 Str 5 Mag 1 Skl 6 Spd 7 Lck 6 Def 5 Res 0

Chrom Lord Lv 1 HP 20 Str 7 Mag 1 Skl 8 Spd 8 Lck 5 Def 7 Res 1

Intentional? Of course. Chrom's bases are bit higher, but FE13 has the most inflated stats in all of FE, so it makes sense.

9 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Actually...

Reveal hidden contents
Name Class Lv HP Str Skl Wlv Spd Lck Def Res Mov
FE 1 Marth Lord 1 18 5 3 5 7 7 7 0 7

Name Class Lv HP Str Skl Spd Lck Wlv Def Res Mov
FE3 B1 Marth Lord 1 18 5 6 7 7 6 7 0 7

Roy Lord Lv 1 HP 18 Str 5 Skl 5 Spd 7 Lck 7 Def 5 Res 0

Eliwood Lord Lv 1 HP 18 Str 5 Skl 5 Spd 7 Lck 7 Def 5 Res 0

Ike Ranger Lv 1 HP 19 Str 5 Mag 1 Skl 6 Spd 7 Lck 6 Def 5 Res 0

Chrom Lord Lv 1 HP 20 Str 7 Mag 1 Skl 8 Spd 8 Lck 5 Def 7 Res 1

Intentional? Of course. Chrom's bases are bit higher, but FE13 has the most inflated stats in all of FE, so it makes sense.

Holy bejesus.

What the hell IS.

For me I'd like Sophia (more literally everything, but especially skill and con), Arthur (freaking crit evasion, thank god Veteran's Intuition exists) and archers in DS in general (why do you have the same movement penalties as cavs while having 4 less move?)

Beruka should've had speed to compensate for her lack of strength. It would made her useful at the same time different from Camila. I still like using her. Charlotte could've had some base defense to make up for her lack of growth.

Lissa's not necessarily bad, but I wish she had more strength growth so that War Cleric would be a better option.

Syrene I'm not sure how she could be better

Isadora could use more speed. Her con makes sense, but she should be faster to compensate for it.

Lilina and Illyana both share the misfortune of joining after a better mage has already joined, reached a higher level and become familiar to the player. Illyana has this problem in two games and makes it worse in RD by stealing XP from the fail brigade if she's used.

Just a couple I can think of right now:

Sanaki, although she can be pretty strong by Endgame if given the patience and experience, but she's so frail.

Lyn, she's built like a Myrmidon, but sometimes her Strength just doesn't really cut it for me.

Sophia, pretty self-explanatory..

On 3/21/2019 at 1:34 PM, SageHarpuiaJDJ said:

Syrene I'm not sure how she could be better

Have bases not comparable or worse than Seth's from 17 Chapters ago? Up her base level to like 8 or 10 and adjust her bases according. She is the last playable unit obtained in the main story, joining just five fights away from the final battle, yet she doesn't play like she is.