Is Eirika good?

Hanes

Is Eirika good?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. Is Eirika good?

• Yes
    • No

No I ain't doing another LP like before, I just wanted to ask wether you guys think she is good.

These are her stats taken from here: https://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Eirika

Level: 1      Growth Rates:
HP: 16       HP: 70%
Str: 4         Str: 40
Skl: 8         Skl: 60
Spd: 9       Spd: 60
Luck: 5     Luck: 60%
Def: 3       Def: 30%
Res: 1      Res: 30%
Con: 5 

Promotion stat gains:
HP +4 Str +2 Skill +2 Spd +1 Def +3 Res +5 Con +2 Mov +2.

As for me I think she is good because she is pretty fast from the get go and will struggle 1RKOing less by having a Rapier immediately, also her Def is terrible but she will grow to dodge these and before that becomes reliable, her relatively high defense growth will help her although initially her defenses will be lacking nonetheless. Atleast she hits like always against axe units and can help against cavalry and armored units if you conserve her Rapier a bit.

I would say 7/10, has some glaring weaknesses at the start but it's not Rebecca's or Neimi's

From a gameplay perspective? On her route I assume. 

I'd say she can't be truly bad being a lord, but good? No. She is frail, and it takes time sans terrain to become a reliable dodgetank. She can't ORKO either sans Rapier or a crit for quite some time, if ever.

Other than for 10 HP and the +15 Crit, a 20/20 Eirika ties Joshua offensively, and has more Luck, Def, and Res. So in the long run her stats are great. Plus Sieglinde is better than Audhumla and is all to herself.

If we compare base stats however, a level 5 Eirika is as follows:

18.8/6.6/10.4/11.4/7.4/4.2/2.2

Base (level 5) Joshua:

24/8/13/14/7/5/2

Joshua starts significantly better, and has 3 more Con (this closes to a 2 point difference at promotion). Although he takes up a unit slot, unlike Eirika. He also lacks the Rapier while Eirika can steal his Killing Edge.

Since swordlock is rather bad in FE8, not the demon it is in Awakening or RD, but still bad, Eirika suffers from it.

Overall, I'd consider her to be high end of Lower Mid on a tier list, assuming Top/High/Up Mid/Low Mid/Low/Bottom. Perfect availability, good growths, a clear role, and some good personal weapons seriously help, but aren't enough to make her great.

43 minutes ago, Rose482 said:

Yes

Positive

43 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Since swordlock is rather bad in FE8, not the demon it is in Awakening or RD, but still bad, Eirika suffers from it.

I dont find swordlocked to be so bad in FE8, I feel like fewer enemies have 1-2 range weapons than in FE7. 

I mean, Erika is basicly a slightly better Lyn (in terms of stats) with a worse personal weapon and a way better promotion.

She's not dead weight or anything, so as long as she's forced anyway you might as well make use of her, but outside of that there's no real reason to waste a team slot on her I feel (unless you like her of course, but you say that about any unit). Being sword locked is pretty bad, and until her promotion (which is pretty late) the rapier is the only thing remotely special about her. There's a ton of units who either bring more utility (mounts, staves) or are just better in combat (because of stats and/or 1-2 range). And even after promoting she's still sword locked, so worse than basicly every other mounted unit.

She's far from the worst unit in the game, but I wouldn't call her good.

I feel like every unit in the game rocks except for the trainees requiring so much investment and Knoll before you can get him the anti-crit item to make up for his missing Luck stat. But I definitely remember placing Eirika as "under average" back when this game was fresher in my mind. Too fragile, doesn't hit hard, bases don't match up to similar characters, Rapier not as handy as it is in other Fire Emblem games, Promotion provides much needed movement but no secondary weapon to help with bad matchups, including monsters who use spears more than the other two weapon types as I recall. 

• 2 weeks later...

Decent but not good.

Until Chapter 16 she is a weaker and slower myrmidon, and gba myrmidons aren't exactly great.

After Chapter 16 she is a faster promoted Eliwood without lances. Can still rescue drop and 7 movement isn't terrible.

Overall I would give her 5 out of 10 just because of her good avaiability and she likes being surrounded by axes until Chapter 8

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

At best, she's kind of mediocre. Her almost pitiful strength base makes her combat pretty poor, even if you can count on her rarely being doubled thanks to her speed. I've seen a lot of talk of dodge tanking, and while that works in theory, it is rarely consistent enough to rely on in practice, especially considering her poor durability. The issue of her durability is even worse, because at least with other characters, their death generally doesn't instantly give you a game over, so you don't have to start the chapter over.

she is swordlocked for the entire game, which is never a good sign. Swords may not as bad to be locked to here as they normally are, but that isn't saying very much. Hell, even Lyn has access to multiple weapons post promotion(not that bows help Lyn very much, nor would they be super useful to Eirika).

She promotes super late, and is generally just going to be a nuisance until she promotes, with little practical usage, and then once she promotes she's not that much better off. She does get a mount though, which is always nice.

On her own, she does have a few notable issues, but it's worse when you take into account the characters around her. I don't feel the need to talk about Seth past saying his name, Franz, while not necessarily spectacular is better instantly upon arrival with his mount, alongside his significantly better stat build, and the list of units like this goes on.

All Eirika really has going for her is the rapier early game, and Sieglinde late game, but even Sieglinde doesn't really matter that much, since anyone able to wield an s rank weapon can one round most terrors. So while she isn't the worst character, that doesn't mean she's good.

• 10 months later...

By far she is the worst main character in any fire emblem game. Even in Sacred Stones she is the worst character. I choose the Ephraim path anytime I play simply because I dont want to deal with Erika. 

She rarely gets Defense or Resistance, so if she gets hit twice, she can loose up to half her health. In the final battle I had her at level 15, and she took a single hit from a lance. Then Lyon hit her, and killed her instantly. 

Ephraim was hit by three enemies, and Lyon and survived.

Ross can even kill the final boss in two hits with Garm. Erika does at most 60 damage in two hits (if you get lucky and max her out completely, usually she does around 15-20 damage per hit on the final boss), but she will die instantly in the enemies' turn.

Edited by Zark

50 minutes ago, Zark said:

By far she is the worst main character in any fire emblem game. Even in Sacred Stones she is the worst character. I choose the Ephraim path anytime I play simply because I dont want to deal with Erika. 

ehhh I think combat wise both Roy and maybe Micaiah are overall worse both don't really have much potential. Roy once he gets the binding blade is pretty good, but with her prf weapon Erika can typically bop and monster for a huge amount of damage and she gets a mount so she can help through utility. Micaiah is used for her C rank staffs not combat so she is just a healer and its in a game where Vulrenerys are on steroids 8 uses and 20 hp recovery. Erika is useful typically for dealing a large amount of damage to monsters with a weapon only she can use so if you got slots or she is forced you might as well kill a monster or 2 for free. Roy is way worse.    

Edited by Shrimp Boat
grammar error

Ok listen here, I love Eirika. To me she would be best girl if Fiora didn't exist, but it is hard to rate her as a unit honestly.

So let's first look at her pros. She's fast, that coupled with generally good luck make sher dodgy, not to mention the fact that she doubles consistently if levelled. She also starts with the Rapier. If the Rapier was so great in FE6 then it is better here, with higher might, weaker enemies and triple effectiveness, so Eirika has an easy time one-rounding cavaliers and knights, which she always doubles (few exceptions when it comes to cavs). Her strength is not amazing but not to the point where I'd consider terrible, her growth is alright in it and you have a number of Energy Rings that you can give her, especially if most your other units have no offense issues. Her supports also help her, and she has a lot of them. Right off the bat she supports the best unit in the game (although personally I don't like the Eirika X Seth ship, I'm more of a Eirika X Forde guy). Oh, and finally, when she promotes, she gets a horse, and Sieglinde.

Now for the cons... she has bad Con. The only swords she can initially wield without any speed penalties are the Rapier, Iron Sword and Shamshir. Now with how fast she is, you might think that no matter how weighed down she is, she still should be fine, but that's where her average strength comes into play. She needs heavier swords to deal more reliable damage, but those might weigh her down enough to push her under the doubling threshold. Also, she's not that tanky. She shares this problem with Lyn, although with Eirika she does have a much better time, with one more base defense and resistance, and a higher defense growth (fun fact, Eirika has a better defense grlwth than all the unpromoted cavaliers in the game), but she still won't be able to survive that many battles, even if given a dracoshield (although an angelic robe does help slightly better). Finally, she is swordlocked, which might just be the strongest argument against her, so no 1-2 range and generally, low might.

Despite those cons I do not consider Eirika a bad unit. She has her uses (especially as a convoy), and she can fare decently on the battlefield if invested in, and it's easier to do that than one might think. Especially after Promotion. I'd compare her performance to Roy, except there's no point in the game where I consider her to be all that bad, and she certainly can be capable of dealing with enemies when needed. I say she's good, not like, fantastic or anything but slightly above average.

• 8 months later...

Pros

Good Speed and Skill. We get it, she has Myrmidon stats. With the right weapon, she can double most enemies - and she's not likely to miss.

Cool Swords. The Rapier stands out, since it's exclusive, and FE8 does triple-effective weaponry. But she is also one of the few to get the high-crit Shamshir. And in the lategame, the high-Might Sieglinde comes to her.

High Availability. On her own route, she's tied with the god Seth himself for highest availability. She loses a big chunk if you follow her brother, though.

Cons

Poor Strength and Bulk. Her HP and Luck are okay, but her Strength, Defense, and Resistance are rather lacking. So she misses out on some kills, and when the enemy comes, she better hope she dodges.

No ranged weapons. For most of the game, ranged swords are non-existent. Even when they do show up, they're scarce and not that great. So she'll have to do most of her fighting in melee.

Fairly late promotion. While she has no competition for her promotion item, it comes when the game is over two-thirds complete - by which time, almost all her allies will be promoted.

Verdict

Bad. That's what I voted, and what I'm sticking to. She can have fun against Axe users, and secure certain kills with the Rapier, but there's not much else going for her. Lack of 1-2 range is brutal in this enemy-heavy title. Use her if you want, but she's definitely below the median of any tier-list I'd envision.