Your wishlist for the next trailer

- More details on the characters that aren’t Edelgard, Dimitri or Claude

- Amiibo functionality

- More details on the class “tests”

- More details on Sothis

- More details on support conversations 

- “Special guests” make a cameo appearance if the right conditions are met (Alm, Eliwood, Micaiah, Camilla) 

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 2/17/2019 at 9:28 AM, vanguard333 said:

They probably can't show any more without big spoilers. It seems to be a legendary weapon given that Byleth was using it. It's probably forged from a dragon tail or spine given its shape, and, given the dark magic and the fact that the green-haired girl was holding it as if mourning someone, it more than likely has a dark and troubled history complete with a tragic backstory. 

All this. 

Other things that I want to see:

1.  Details on some of the classes present in the game. Are soldiers playable units? Can they promote to halberdiers? Are mercenaries/heroes back? 
  2.  Red hair as a customization option for Byleth. (Come on Nintendo! I already had to put up with lack of red hair in Awakening, Fates, and Pokémon: Sun & Moon)
  3.  Maybe one or two more monsters. It's obvious that they're back and they're plot-relevant. But the one that they showed us so far was rather generic: a big hound creature with smoke coming out of it. Plus, its name, "Black Beast" doesn't really convey anything except that the heroes' lives will only be saved when the animator suddenly suffers a fatal heart attack

Byleth is in actual cutscenes I highly doubt we can customize them outside of gender.

I would like more information on the houses themselves and more info on our characters and how the school mechanics work. It’s such a huge change from standard fire emblem and we will likely be spending more time at base than say PoR/RD, Awakening, and even Fates.

Edited by iavasechui

4 hours ago, iavasechui said:

Byleth is in actual cutscenes I highly doubt we can customize them outside of gender.

I've heard a lot of people say it might be possible, because the cutscenes are supposedly using the same character models or something along those lines (I can't remember exactly what they said), and the Switch is a lot more powerful than the 3DS.

Plus, you could customize the protagonist in Xenoblade Chronicles X and they were always visible in actual cutscenes. If Monolith Soft could do that back in 2014 with the Wii U, I'm pretty sure IS can pull it off in 2019 with the Switch; especially since they could ask Monolith Soft how they pulled it off, as both of them work for Nintendo. 

On 3/15/2019 at 7:46 PM, vanguard333 said:

I've heard a lot of people say it might be possible, because the cutscenes are supposedly using the same character models or something along those lines (I can't remember exactly what they said), and the Switch is a lot more powerful than the 3DS.

Plus, you could customize the protagonist in Xenoblade Chronicles X and they were always visible in actual cutscenes. If Monolith Soft could do that back in 2014 with the Wii U, I'm pretty sure IS can pull it off in 2019 with the Switch; especially since they could ask Monolith Soft how they pulled it off, as both of them work for Nintendo. 

The difference here is that the cutscenes you see byleth in look distinctly pre-rendered what with the gorgeous background art and lighting affects as well as the sheer amount of polish the scene has. The xenoblade cutscenes are pretty much almost all in-engine meaning that sort of thing is possible. You can't use a customizable avatar for pre-rendered cutscenes. it's just not practical cause those kinds of cutscenes are just that pre-rendered meaning unlike in-engine cutscenes they cannot be changed or altered once they're in the game. They just play the cutscene and then cut back to the game.

I dunno about you but this:

looks far more polished than this clearly in-engine cutscene:

Edited by Ottservia

2 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

The difference here is that the cutscenes you see byleth in look distinctly pre-rendered what with the cell-shading and sheer amount of polish the scene has. The xenoblade cutscenes are pretty much almost all in-engine meaning that sort of thing is possible. You can't use a customizable avatar for pre-rendered cutscenes. it's just not practical cause those kinds of cutscenes are just that pre-rendered meaning unlike in-engine cutscenes they cannot be changed or altered once they're in the game. They just play the cutscene and then cut back to the game.

I dunno about you but this:

image.png.df6eb164af6c5c92a64c0be44b637f63.png

looks far more polished than this clearly in-engine cutscene:

image.png.25357d9831f2c5ddc4382f863c855065.png

Oh yeah. That's a good point.

But then, given that Byleth has a unique class, unique sword, and important story role, what was the point of making Byleth customizable if it doesn't go beyond name and gender? The whole point of a custom protagonist is that they add immersion by making you able to play as whatever you want to be; the cost being that that character will be limited in depth. Having a fixed protagonist allows the character to have depth, personality, etc.; immersing the player in the world through the strength of the character. 

If all you can customize is gender and name, then they may as well have not bothered; they should've just given us a fixed protagonist with depth and personality. 

1 minute ago, vanguard333 said:

Oh yeah. That's a good point.

But then, given that Byleth has a unique class, unique sword, and important story role, what was the point of making Byleth customizable if it doesn't go beyond name and gender? The whole point of a custom protagonist is that they add immersion by making you able to play as whatever you want to be; the cost being that that character will be limited in depth. Having a fixed protagonist allows the character to have depth, personality, etc.; immersing the player in the world through the strength of the character. 

If all you can customize is gender and name, then they may as well have not bothered; they should've just given us a fixed protagonist with depth and personality. 

I mean the persona series is able to get away with it. Ren and Yu are avatar-esque characters. the only customizable thing about them is their name and uh that's about it. Ok maybe dialogue if you wanna get technical but still. They still allow for me to immerse myself into the game because of the amount of "choices" the game gives you(Who to hang out with, what social stats to raise, planning a dungeon raid, etc.) Their choices are your choices and that's where the immersion comes from. 

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

I mean the persona series is able to get away with it. Ren and Yu are avatar-esque characters. the only customizable thing about them is their name and uh that's about it. Ok maybe dialogue if you wanna get technical but still. They still allow for me to immerse myself into the game because of the amount of "choices" the game gives you(Who to hang out with, what social stats to raise, planning a dungeon raid, etc.) Their choices are your choices and that's where the immersion comes from. 

I can't agree or disagree with your example as I have never played Persona.

I would agree with your overall point, except that there's nothing keeping a fixed protagonist from having significant choices while retaining the distinct layers and personality that strengthens the story and immersion; just look at The Witcher 3 for example. Geralt is very much a fixed protagonist that is utilized well by the narrative to provide some depth and interesting character dynamics. He also has plenty of options in dialogue, ways to finish quests, who he helps in the war that he wants to stay out of, and he even has multiple romance options in Triss and Yennefer. 

If we want to stick to Japanese games, then even The Legend of Zelda sometimes gives Link dialogue options or multiple ways to complete a sidequest with each having a different outcome. And make no mistake: Link may be a silent protagonist, but he is a fixed protagonist, and The Wind Waker gave him a fair bit of depth and a distinct personality. (gets immediately reminded of the end of The Wind Waker and Link's reaction to a specific character's death, and tries not to cry). For another example, the heart-to-hearts in Xenoblade Chronicles are multiple choice. 

Guest Southes

Honestly, a lot of people are pointing out how unlikely it is that we'll be able to customize Byleth but looking at the trailer more closely it seems the only pre-rendered cutscene Byleth is present in is the opening sequence where he's walking with the trio behind his father. I might just be be looking to deeply into this but that sequence might simply serve as an opening cinematic, like for Fates and Awakening, displaying the default character for promotional purposes, with the other pre-rendered cutscenes we see later in the trailer serving as an intro to the school, the students and the teachers. The reason I believe this is that it would make sense to have these set in stone cutscenes early in the story as it is far simpler to account for the various re-classing we would have done on the students through in-engine cutscenes and thus ensure that our choices are still reflected.

For older fire Emblems like Radiant Dawn, we see a cutscene of a promoted Ike and Micaiah but by that point the story had already dictated that they be promoted. Which isn't possible here because just like for potential avatar differences, animators would have to re-animate the whole cutscene from scratch to account for all our personal choices/promotions as we saw that Edelgard had a great deal of classes she could choose from. 

Again, this might be just me looking in too deeply at this but personally I hope that even a small degree of customization is present (please god let me change male Byleth's hair cause I'm not a fan of his hair at all or failing that change F!Byleth's outfit a bit). It's just a feature that I feel like should be an all or nothing deal either let us customize all the basics (skin/eye/hair colors and hairstyle at the minimum) or just stick with a premade character with fully fleshed out backstory and personality that we can twiddle on a little depending on gameplay choices, because compromising between the two is just taking the weaknesses of both without the full experience of either.

Supports. Or whatever might replace them to some extent. Something to that effect.

Possible playable characters outside of the students. I figure it is going to be a thing, but I would like to have a bit of confirmation on it. Even one of the other teachers being confirmed playable somehow would be great, we've seen 2 of them so far.

Player customization. To what extent do we get to customize the avatar. Do we have control over classes, maybe secondary weapon type, do we have the boon/bane system again, do we have any control over appearance, etc.

I'd like to see the next trailer focus on F!Byleth and the Blue Lions/Golden Deer. Or maybe have it address how different the routes are, and go over the personalities of the house leaders. Or talk about gambits and other new mechanics.

Back to update my previous wishlist:

Since we got some things about the Officer's Academy(which I heavily doubt that's all it has and they're probably keeping other places/features in it still secret for now). I think they gotta talk about things many are wanting to hear about one thing obvious is:

-Supports: while there were a bunch of signs in the 2nd trailer's segments and even more so in the recent new jp Switch CM from analyzing it that needs some time. While I'm 100% sure there'll be romance and S supports between characters(obviously including the Avatar) to put that out there. They need to explain how it'll work will the system be the usual or will getting there be a new different kind like ie Persona style at least for Byleth? what does reaching S with someone will do? I doubt 2nd gens will be in so what else besides lovey dovey fluff for Byleth. Strong paired Gambit Boosts? Different types? More chances to use it in battle? Obviously again needs context. Only thing we can almost guarantee right now from the CM is support bonuses are Very likely here with something else we can't see yet maybe a new pair up thing we'll see.

-Other customization options for Byleth: I feel this is also important. While I'm not like some people that think he'll be completely silent(since avatars never really speak in cutscenes anyway beside one time with Corrin). I really hope there's more than Name and Gender. Like Birthday setting and Boon/Bane system have to be a given right? makes sense. I still hold out for different appearance just if there's another focus on online play like what Fates did. If so it would be jarring in PvP to just see Byleth clones just with a different name and gender imo.

-Fluff about the other characters that are not the Main Protagonist or the 3 house leaders: A personal thing I doubt they'll talk about most characters on each side that might be when they have an official site and add some character profiles with little things to get the idea.

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

18 hours ago, Guest Southes said:

Honestly, a lot of people are pointing out how unlikely it is that we'll be able to customize Byleth but looking at the trailer more closely it seems the only pre-rendered cutscene Byleth is present in is the opening sequence where he's walking with the trio behind his father. I might just be be looking to deeply into this but that sequence might simply serve as an opening cinematic, like for Fates and Awakening, displaying the default character for promotional purposes, with the other pre-rendered cutscenes we see later in the trailer serving as an intro to the school, the students and the teachers. The reason I believe this is that it would make sense to have these set in stone cutscenes early in the story as it is far simpler to account for the various re-classing we would have done on the students through in-engine cutscenes and thus ensure that our choices are still reflected.

For older fire Emblems like Radiant Dawn, we see a cutscene of a promoted Ike and Micaiah but by that point the story had already dictated that they be promoted. Which isn't possible here because just like for potential avatar differences, animators would have to re-animate the whole cutscene from scratch to account for all our personal choices/promotions as we saw that Edelgard had a great deal of classes she could choose from. 

Again, this might be just me looking in too deeply at this but personally I hope that even a small degree of customization is present (please god let me change male Byleth's hair cause I'm not a fan of his hair at all or failing that change F!Byleth's outfit a bit). It's just a feature that I feel like should be an all or nothing deal either let us customize all the basics (skin/eye/hair colors and hairstyle at the minimum) or just stick with a premade character with fully fleshed out backstory and personality that we can twiddle on a little depending on gameplay choices, because compromising between the two is just taking the weaknesses of both without the full experience of either.

Technically, there's also the very last part of trailer 2, where Byleth is assaulted by darkness while wielding the bonesword... but looking at it again, you can see trees behind him, so even that might happen very early. Your reasoning seems perfectly sound to me; I don't think all of those are an opening cinematic per se, but they may take place at a point where your customization options are limited, and they did give you new hairstyles as you went through New Mystery of the Emblem, so there's precedent.

Guest Southes
2 hours ago, Cysx said:

Technically, there's also the very last part of trailer 2, where Byleth is assaulted by darkness while wielding the bonesword... but looking at it again, you can see trees behind him, so even that might happen very early. Your reasoning seems perfectly sound to me; I don't think all of those are an opening cinematic per se, but they may take place at a point where your customization options are limited, and they did give you new hairstyles as you went through New Mystery of the Emblem, so there's precedent.

Yeah good point, I was on the fence about that scene because though it was detailed it seemed slightly different in quality in comparison to the very well animated sequence at the beginning that looked to be taken straight out of an anime (what clued me in on this was the difference in the quality of shadows, and now that you mentioned it the trees don't seem as detailed as the one's in the beginning), but I admit I'm not 100% on this. I just wanted to point out how the main argument against there being any customization in three houses isn't fully concrete and that there's still room for doubt/hope, though I don't wanna get my hopes to high,  again I'm probably biased on this, just thought I'd share my take on the issue.

1 hour ago, Guest Southes said:

Yeah good point, I was on the fence about that scene because though it was detailed it seemed slightly different in quality in comparison to the very well animated sequence at the beginning that looked to be taken straight out of an anime (what clued me in on this was the difference in the quality of shadows, and now that you mentioned it the trees don't seem as detailed as the one's in the beginning), but I admit I'm not 100% on this. I just wanted to point out how the main argument against there being any customization in three houses isn't fully concrete and that there's still room for doubt/hope, though I don't wanna get my hopes to high,  again I'm probably biased on this, just thought I'd share my take on the issue.

I guess the difference is mostly visible in terms of lighting. In engine cutscenes have the 3D models dynamically reacting to light sources, while the animated ones typically have consistent coloring and segmented shading across surfaces. That's how you can tell that this is in engine:

Spoiler

IhNWXCh.jpg

and this is animated:

Spoiler

iDSciIu.jpg

The quality of that last scene might admittedly be slightly lower, but such inconsistencies aren't too uncommon from what I can tell.

Beyond that, yeah, I do think your point makes perfect sense.

On 3/23/2019 at 12:25 PM, Guest Southes said:

the key difference between Robin and Byleth though is that in any pre-rendered cutscene that featured Robin, we never saw Robin's face as it always covered in the hood. The big cloak Robin wears is a very clever way for the animators to hid any distinct features of the avatar caused by customization meaning they wouldn't have to reanimate the scene dozens of times for each possible avatar combination. The same goes for Corrin. Even though Corrin doesn't have a hood every cutscene goes to great lengths to hide their face like low camera angles that show only their back, very vague looking silhouettes, first person camera shots, etc. Byleth on the other hand we see their face front and center meaning if their is going to be customization, the most we'd be able to customize is clothing, hairstyle, and accessories because you just can't allow us to choose our body type then just switch to the default one randomly as that would be really jarring.

Edited by Ottservia

Guest Southes
46 minutes ago, Ottservia said:

the key difference between Robin and Byleth though is that in any pre-rendered cutscene that featured Robin, we never saw Robin's face as it always covered in the hood. The big cloak Robin wears is a very clever way for the animators to hid any distinct features of the avatar caused by customization meaning they wouldn't have to reanimate the scene dozens of times for each possible avatar combination. The same goes for Corrin. Even though Corrin doesn't have a hood every cutscene goes to great lengths to hide their face like low camera angles that show only their back, very vague looking silhouettes, first person camera shots, etc. Byleth on the other hand we see their face front and center meaning if their is going to be customization, the most we'd be able to customize is clothing, hairstyle, and accessories because you just can't allow us to choose our body type then just switch to the default one randomly as that would be really jarring.

Yeah I know they took pains in both Awakening and Fates to hid your protagonist's face, what I was kind of going at was that it would be difficult for Nintendo to account for our class change choices for each character throughout the story even if it's just the main 4. I agree that if all the pre-rendered cutscenes would have default Byleth face in contrast to a customized Byleth in gameplay it would be very jarring to see, but equally, it would be jarring to have, say, made Edelgard a swordmaster/mage in gameplay and her reverting to her default costume and an axe in cutscenes. So I think either A) These cutscenes as I said were simply introductory and happen early and thus would not have to account for class changes or customization (slight spoiler

Spoiler

the chainsword Byleth has does NOT have the crest in that final pre rendered cutscene whereas other media depict the sword HAVING a crest thus it is perfectly reasonable to assume this is an earlier point in the story

)  B) The cutscenes are integral to the story and therefore would continue to display the default character appearances or alternatively, the clothing are based upon "tiers" and thus do not greatly differ depending on class with class promotions four our main characters occurring at set intervals, ensuring that the cutscenes would still reflect our choices in game to a degree

I feel like it would be a waste for Nintendo to completely neglect customization given the Switch being far more powerful than a 3ds just for a couple introductory, albeit very nice, cutscenes. I feel like it was a big feature that gave Awakening a surge in interest as robust character creation is an important part of some of the more iconic Western RPGs at the time like the old Bioware games, it was something different and rather rare in the JRPG genre and I'd be sad to see it go. Of course all I said above are just theories but honestly as I said in my original post, I wish Nintendo would go full swing in either direction of either making Byleth our character (not necessarily as a self insert) or just making him a solid character of his own, because I'm afraid that if he is the central figure of this new story, a compromised "middleground" will just make the character feel lacking, either from a lack of creative involvement in the Character's design (lack of visual customization) or a simplified character (silent protagonist, hollow choices, etc, etc). My dream for this game would have the elements that made Mass Effect great as part of the game, with story choices directly affecting your character's relationships and even the world itself, because I feel like it would really make us feel a lot more invested in the cast and the world this game is making. SO I REALLY REALLY hope that whenever Nintendo gives us another info drop, be it a trailer or just a plain old announcement that they would clarify their stance on the matter for this game.

Guest Southes
2 hours ago, Cysx said:

I guess the difference is mostly visible in terms of lighting. In engine cutscenes have the 3D models dynamically reacting to light sources, while the animated ones typically have consistent coloring and segmented shading across surfaces. That's how you can tell that this is in engine:

Reveal hidden contents

IhNWXCh.jpg

and this is animated:

Reveal hidden contents

iDSciIu.jpg

The quality of that last scene might admittedly be slightly lower, but such inconsistencies aren't too uncommon from what I can tell.

Beyond that, yeah, I do think your point makes perfect sense.

Ah yeah, looking at it again you're right, I think it was the lack of shadows on his face despite being surrounded by... shadows? that threw me off, sorry about that. Also to add to your theory its earlier in the game please look at the spoiler marked text in my previous post I think it support your point.

Apologies, I think I kind of derailed the main topic, but to put it more concisely, what I want from the next trailer would be:

• Customization: The extent and purpose of it, again I don't really see much point in having any customization if all we get to decide is whether we want to play as male or female and their name, better to just make Byleth his/her own character and not make them silent (If they're not going to be our character anyways, then better give them a fixed name, because everyone in the game avoiding to say your name like it's taboo during cutscenes for no good reason will get old, and having student call Byleth by their name shows a degree of intimacy/trust) though I would prefer there to be some visual customization
  • More info on the school: How we go about training students, maybe more of the cast as well, with the consequences of choosing a school over the other
  • Supports: How are they returning and hopefully so help me god a change from the current one from Fates and Awakening, sometimes I feel few people mention this but doesn't anyone feel weird as to how drastically S supports escalate from the previous ones? As in like someone just happens to realize they're in love with the other and the other acting surprised as hell and never noticing BUT THEN IMMEDIATELY ACCEPTING? As in ok if its just entering a relationship but they get MARRIED for god's sake! It just baffles me personally! They should really make a buffer between A support and S to kind of show some romantic development cause I feel like Robin and Corrin's shipping powers are just out of control. Also idk how I feel about Byleth having a relationship with his students, cause on one hand he's THEIR TEACHER, on the other hand male Byleth kinda looks like a slightly oversized angsty teenager (I mean look how grumpy he always looks) so maybe he's actually not far from their age? No excuse for Female Byleth tho with that outfit, wouldn't trust her with the kids...
  • How does Gambit work: will we choose the type of troops, what type of advancement we can expect and whether all classes can use it
  • Develop on what they mean by "our" story: does it mean we'll have a meaningful impact on the world depending on our story choices, does it just mean that Byleth is meant to represent us and the story is set in stone and is there for us to play through?
  • How will we interact with the world: as in the many places in Fodlan they showed on the map, will we be exploring it like in more recent fire emblems with incursions on cleared maps, or will it have any new mechanics like liberating regions like in XCOM2 with distinct advantages for holding them like unique items and resources, maybe new teaching material for students or advancing supports with students from the region.

So I feel like these are the main things I'd like to know about the game as we approach release, personally I'm very excited for this game, I've played every fire emblem since PoR and it RD was a huge part of my childhood, I think the new things and changes for the game that they have disclosed so far are going to be refreshing in the series. But at the same time I'm anxious about the things that are left half-explained in the latest trailer, I found Awakening to be my personal favorite FE, but the way they handled Corrin in Fates could have been better, although I enjoyed that game and played through all routes. I feel like the issue right now is that IS isn't fully committing to some of the new features they have proposed, the avatar and support systems are I believe the larger more divisive issues with gameplay decisions for making the game more accessible to more people being another issue. I just hope that IS fully fleshes out three houses and makes Byleth click and surpass Robin as an Avatar. I've equally enjoyed FE games that had and didn't have this feature, but my growing concern is that Byleth is caught in the drama between the two identities between the "old" and "new" FEs... As in with Avatars, at least for me personally, it meant that choices in supports, story decisions and classes are just simply based on my personal preferences, whereas with fixed protagonists, I just want to see them succeed and be happy, and thus I try to pick the more "canonical" pairings with more story rather than go with my preferences. I know Fire Emblem is a lot more than the protagonist, and so far IS has done a rather good job of making them likeable, but protagonists are still front and center in the game, even if we have 4 this time around and I'm just scared that Byleth becomes too plain because of trying to appeal to both old and new fans and ends up lacking both from a creative stance such as visual customization and as a character by making him have an unexplored background, or being silent both being a consequence of this compromise.

Edited by Southes

25 minutes ago, Guest Lae said:

As REAM said is pretty much what I want and expect I guess more on some of the villains too!

Sure, I think that might be near last of what they could show before the release maybe (which to me so far feels like it's coming really fast honestly lol).

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

I'm mostly interested in learning more about and seeing more of the overall cast. Will we have adult units who aren't students? (I very much hope so). Are there playable shifter units and manaketes? If so I want to see them!

It would also be good to see more of the support system. Maybe a few example supports. And some more colourful and unqie environments would be great to see too, the ones weve seen so far are a little plain compared to Fates. 

Edited by EJ107

For the next trailer I just want them to start introducing the characters and which houses they show up in. Give us a little more background on what each house's background is, and what kind of characters we can expect from that house. An explanation, or snippet about the gambit system would be appreciated as well. That is the part of the game that I am most worried about at the moment.

9 hours ago, Sentinel07 said:

I'd like to see some videos focusing on each house individually.

If they really want choosing a house to be a big choice, why not make some trailers highlighting each one so players can have an idea of what to see.

I can honestly see them doing something like this. It would be a cool way to showcase each house and its members and would probably spark some rivalry in the fandom, which is always good at creating some hype and discussion.

Edited by Sushi_Cat

On 4/3/2019 at 5:17 AM, Sushi_Cat said:

I can honestly see them doing something like this. It would be a cool way to showcase each house and its members and would probably spark some rivalry in the fandom, which is always good at creating some hype and discussion.

I hope they do actually put some more focus on the three houses and not just the Avatar in the next trailer. I'm going Corrin vibes from Byleth just because they are already a random nobody born with a special power that suddenly puts them into position of power they wouldn't have had otherwise. If they keep focusing on him, and only glancing over the houses I'm just going to get more and more worried about the focus of the story...