You've seen and hated alts, but what about costumes...?

Xenomata

Just an idea that I've been thinking about for a little bit... we've obviously seen a number of popular characters from across Ylisse, Hoshido, Nohr, and a few other places setting aside their armor (or in some cases, at least some of it) in favor of special outfits fit for the seasons. In a number of cases, these heroes also wielded completely different weapons from their usual, or boggled themselves down/obtained a mount that further set them apart from their base forms, even giving up their practical or even legendary weapons for stylish or downright silly weapons... usually.

However, what I was thinking... what if they still switched outfits, but were still the same unit? Say, for instance, Marth were to replace his modern armor with that of his classic Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light armor? You know, the one without pants? Or if Anna were to borrow her otherworldly sisters Trickster outfit from Awakening? Or take literally anyone who started unpromoted in their original game, and then "promote" them? If so wanted, they could even alter the poses of the unit in question, since a lot, if not all of the early units have somewhat generic battle ready poses (I think Takumi had the only "unique" Bow pose at launch...)

Simply put, they're not official alts that have different stats, movement type, or weapon, simply the same unit wearing something else. Like an accessory for the entire body. Think the costumes seen in FE: Warriors.

What do you think? Would you want such a feature? If you do, what kinds of costumes would you want, and for who? These costumes don't need to replace seasonal alts, heck they don't even need to alter the units artwork. They'd just be fun customization pieces with no benefits besides looking cool.

More customization is always better so I would 100% be for this. I would love if it we could switch art too though, for example Cordelia's alts look so much better than regular Cordelia and would love to use their art for her OG version.

So what you're saying is you want different Alts to be able to share their clothing? I admit, I'd love for my Lance!Lucina to be able to wear Spring!Lucina's clothes, but what kind of profit would the game make from that? Either they'd have to make the costume switching free (truly free, getting it as a gift, or sacrificing resources which could include units) or paid. The first one put too many resources and time spent into the game for no profit whatsoever, while having it be paid wouldn't be worth it at all (because you could simply buy orbs instead). Why do you think the majority of accessories we have now comes from a game mode that seems to pop up less often than the Voting Gauntlet? I mean, just think about the time and effort spent having to simply match every alt's postures....
That being said, the idea does intrigue me. I just don't think it would be worth it for IS to do.

Edited by MilodicMellodi

Making a unit in Heroes is trivially easy. It's just assigning numbers, movement types, weapons and skills to a base. By far the most costly thing would be the artwork and voice acting. If that's still being made, then it's still stealing development time from potential new units. Of course that assumes they're releasing new units at the maximum pace they can manage right now, which let's face it, they're almost certainly not. That is to say if we get six new units a month and alternate costumes on top of it, then that's great. But if we're getting five alternate costumes and a single new unit each month, then that's decidedly not worth it.

2 hours ago, MilodicMellodi said:

So what you're saying is you want different Alts to be able to share their clothing? I admit, I'd love for my Lance!Lucina to be able to wear Spring!Lucina's clothes...

That's, unfortunately, not what I had in mind. If Lucina were allowed to wear her bunny costume in any form, I'm not sure it'd be "fair" to people who have the actual Spring Lucina if they coulda just made regular Lucina a bunny girl. Plus it'd probably confuse anyone not looking closely enough, realizing O crap that bunny girl actually has a powerful bow and beefed Swap assist. Then again I'm not sure what would be considered "fair" in this game anymore.

Though the idea of a Lucina Bunny army is... intriguing in it's own way...

1 hour ago, Xenomata said:

That's, unfortunately, not what I had in mind. If Lucina were allowed to wear her bunny costume in any form, I'm not sure it'd be "fair" to people who have the actual Spring Lucina if they coulda just made regular Lucina a bunny girl. Plus it'd probably confuse anyone not looking closely enough, realizing O crap that bunny girl actually has a powerful bow and beefed Swap assist. Then again I'm not sure what would be considered "fair" in this game anymore.

Though the idea of a Lucina Bunny army is... intriguing in it's own way...

They could always make the outfit like supports and only affect the players team and make it so if you had an alt of a character you could give the alt the art and chibi of their standard version and vice versa, though units gaining mounts and changing weapons in alts would make that never happen 

Edited by Mackc2

More customization is nice. If they are going to change their battle sprite on the map or during combat, they should have a glowing outline or something to give players a heads up to make sure they do not confuse the unit with someone else.

I'd be fine if they just unloaded all the old artwork and let us use it instead of the current stuff if we wanted to. Find Elincia too cheery? Swap to her regal and calm RD official artwork. Eliwood's eyes are burning a hole in your trachea? Swap to his assured Blazing art. Think Marth needs to ditch his pants? Just have them laser cut out the Marth from FE1's box art.

Sure they won't replace the actual sprite models, and there will be zilch in dynamism to these. But I don't care.