General Atlus Thread

henrymidfields

A number of you probably has seen me as Arisato Minako from Persona 3 by now. And, there are quite a number of titles to look forward from the makers of Persona. Catherine: Full Body will see it's release in Japan in a couple of days, while announcements were made for Persona 5 R, Sentinel 13 (though Vanillaware is developing the game), SMT5, and Project Re Fantasy. Closer to our turf, we also saw Atlus making the critically-acclaimed yet commercially-flopped Tokyo Mirage Sessions, which I am quite grateful for, actually, because it was what eventually introduced me into Atlus games in general, and Persona 3/4 in particular.

So, let's start off with the following:

1. Catherine: Full Body - While I am waiting for the English release, I cannot wait to see just how messed up Vincent's romance with C/Katherine is. I would have ordered the original game if the difficulty wasn't so notorious. And while we are at it, I would like to see Amanda Winn-Lee be one of the English VA equivalent for Ami Koshimizu's voice in Ideal Voice DLC. (Because, Yu/Yukiko is my laifu. *cue the nukes flying*) I was also kind of wished that the other Katherine would get her own voices too. Who, you say?
    Romi Park (Naoto P4)
    Yuko Kaida (Sae P5)
    Rie Tanaka (Mitsuru P3)
    Sayaka Ohara (Margaret P4)
    Ami Koshimizu, except more like Maiko Shimazaki (TMSFE) or Hinako Kujo (Devil Survivor) - I believe Ami-san could be both C and K.
  2. Assuming that P5 R is a remake as part of rumors suggest, what additions do you want for the Persona 5's update? One thing I strongly wish for would be involvement of certain past-entry characters into P5's story, because of how jarring it is without. This is, admittedly, subject to change, as I only heard about the basic plot. In saying this, I could forgive P3, as, if I remember correctly it was under a new writing/producing team. P4 at least made sense because the entire serial murders seemed just that - a localised crime scene that (at least on the surface) looked no different to, well, the crimes happening in other localities in Japan. P5, on the other hand is at a much higher level in both the stakes and attention, and I say Naoto and Mitsuru should return in the P5 update.
    I find it jarring that Naoto is apparently uninvolved in the high-profile story of P5 that has a higher stake and is drawing attention all across Japan. Considering the magnitude and the nature of the case, and especially considering that she approached P4 and P4A's cases from her own apparent initiative (well, I could be wrong on P4A; anyone more privy?), Naoto can't be that inattentive and indifferent to such a high profile case. Besides, why can't I, the player, have Naoto's insights on the institutional misogyny/ageism/corruptions that both Naoto and her industry-related colleagues such as Sae and Makoto are suffering under? And with that some of the supernatural incidents happening too, what is Mitsuru doing? I would also like to see how she and the Shadow Operatives get their ways around under the influence, power, and the corruption of Tokyo/Japan's prosecution/police agencies, and get to the bottom of things.

Alternately, make your own Atlus-related topics too.

Edited by henrymidfields

Got hooked on Atlus' games in the NDS/PSP era, when they were churning out some the best handheld RPGs ever. Persona 3 and Strange Journey were my first experiences in the MegaTen universe and I fell in love immediately with the grim atmosphere and turn based gameplay mechanics. By the third Etrian Odyssey and after Radiant Historia I was convinced that Atlus are one of the best in the genre.

I enjoyed their 3DS line-up but around the time of the aquisition by Sega I felt the output was stalling a little. Most new releases felt just too safe. No more offbeat Trauma Center or Catherine-type endeaviours, just a lot of remakes and rehashes plus a disastrous publishing situation in Europe. Seriously! The Devil Survivor Overclocked gamebraking bug trainwreck, SMTIV coming over 1,5 yrs late and digital only... It was a really hard time being an Atlus fan in EU. 

With dedicated handhelds basically dead and fewer games to look forward to I started dwelving into the seemingly endless pit of PS2-era Atlus. Loved the Digital Devil Saga games, literally devoured them in a week. Now THAT is a linear jRPG done right in my book, it's basically Atlus' take on FFX ;P Still have some gems left to attack, like the second Raidou game and I never got to play any Growlanser titles. 

Never been a fan of Vanillaware, though - style over substance imo. 

As for what I'm looking forward to most, definitely Project Re Fantasy. Hope they take a bolder direction than 'Persona game in fantasy setting' but I'd probably would be fine with even that. I mean, slapping a bit of Persona will work with anything as TMS has proven. Would love to see some kind of variation of Session Attacks in future Atlus' games. That system is just too good to be forgotten. Enjoyed TMS core gameplay more than P5, tbh. 

The new mainline entries for Etrian Odyssey and Shin Megami Tensei are of course also getting me excited, since changing the platform (in both cases to Nintendo Switch for now, I assume) is a big opportunity to remodel some key aspects of each series. Right now I am starting EO Nexus and it's bittersweet to know the series will abandon its dual-screen setup soon. 

Catherine FB and P5R I'm pretty indifferent about. Played the original versions, had fun, didn't blow me away, so the desire to replay isn't there yet.

12 hours ago, know_naim said:

I enjoyed their 3DS line-up but around the time of the aquisition by Sega I felt the output was stalling a little. Most new releases felt just too safe. No more offbeat Trauma Center or Catherine-type endeaviours, just a lot of remakes and rehashes plus a disastrous publishing situation in Europe. Seriously! The Devil Survivor Overclocked gamebraking bug trainwreck, SMTIV coming over 1,5 yrs late and digital only... It was a really hard time being an Atlus fan in EU. 

Not to mention the region code debacle for Persona 4 Arena...

On a different note, does anyone know whether Radiant Historia is on the Nintendo eshop??? The physical copies are very scarce in Australia - even on eBay, and Nintendo's stupid region-locking would rule out Japanese copies. (Why on earth haven't they region-unlocked the 3DS already????)