Mystery Science Theater

araji

Anybody else watching the new MST3K? I got a chance to watch some of these as a kid, and rediscovered what it was as a teenager. When I heard they would do it again on Netflix I was overjoyed. They also nabbed twenty episodes of the original series and put them up there too. I'm on episode 3 right now and it's an extremely faithful and meticulous recreation. And the skits are on point too. I'm totally going to look for a real life way to use the line "The only preferences of yours I care about are the ones I sell to Google for datamining." FUN88

My friends and I actually watched all of the latest season in two separate viewing parties in December. Our Favorites were definitely Mac and Me, Atlantic Rim, and Ator. Mac and Me is definitely the most quotable. We still use "Preeetty Nice" as a generic response, and whenever one of us needs to be revived in a co-op game we shout "Somebody get him a coke!"

I'm definitely a fan of the new seasons. I've heard other longtime fans critique them as talking too much or relying on ridiculous impressions and accents. That each new episode is somebody's stand-up special baked into the foreground of a bad movie. But I would cite these differences as a strength and not a weakness. There's never really been quotes to take home from classic MST3K episodes since everything was so relevant to the current context. I also feel like they rely less on pop culture references in these episodes, though it may be hard to compare if you're younger since you won't catch everything that's a reference if you watch a twenty to thirty year old episode. Anyway I'm definitely looking forward to seeing more of this show in the future.

I need to catch up on the new season. Haven't started it yet, but I was a fan of the last one.

It's weird knowing MST3K is sort of a local show for me(The original had a ton of references to the Twin Cities and jabs at Wisconsin/the Packers), and now it's on Netflix. Even when it was on Sci-Fi, it didn't feel as big.