FE4 Binary

Icon of Sin

So basically I downloaded the patch after I aquired information about it ( which dates up until FESS 4 I think ). However, I would still like some help:

For one, like every FE 4 newbie, I'd like to know what pairings are recommended. I have a few in mind and here they are:

Jamka and Aideen ( Since you don't need Pursuit anymore I thought about giving her the better bow user )

Lex and Ira ( Skasaha inheriting axes? Ambush at full HP? Yes please! )

Lachesis ( I have a few here. I could try Azel to make Nanna a better healer while still having decent strength growth on Delmud. Dew also seems fine for being predestined, giving Sun Skill and the more useful Bargain since now weapons cost a lot more. Or I could just use Beowulf and call it a day. )

Sylvia ( Could possibly go unpaired for bonus Charisma, Barrier Sword ( if it's still there ) and Berserk Staff, or maybe Claude to inherit things faster...)

Levin and Fury ( Pretty much a no brainer, except you don't get Holsety until....the Musar replacement in chapter 9? )

Tiltyu ( If Azel goes with Lachesis I might make Levin want to go here...which could put Claude with Fury I guess. Otherwise I'm thinking Azel here since his growths blend well with hers )

Holyn and Bridgette ( Moonlight Sword on Faval seems to good to pass, though Dew might also be an alternative so that Icheval remains abuseable somewhat, or Alec with Nihil versus the high critical enemies and sword skills in the second generation )

Next, I know there are now branched promotions, but would someone please give me a small list or just their preferances so I can get an idea.

Finally my last question: Does luck decrease critical hit rate now that everone can critical...a lot.

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Captain Falcon

I think all those pairings sound good.

Next, I know there are now branched promotions, but would someone please give me a small list or just their preferances so I can get an idea.

Hmm, just like in FE8, I don't think it really matters which path you go (altbough it's been a long time since I last played). If you go through with one promotion and reset afterwards to try the other, you'll probably get a good enough idea ^^;;;

No clue about critical though. I believe there's a list of calculations somewhere, but it's probably buried really deeply >___<

Really you should just save state before promoting, try each one and then base your decisions on weapon types, movement and promotion gains (since caps are still tied to them). Weapon types are good to keep in mind due to the limited supply of good weapons.

It's very useful to get full blood where you can with pairings, but just make sure you at least get one of each. Tiltyu/Azel is a good pairing because it lets you use both Thorhammer and Falaflame. Holyn/Bridgette is one of my favourites because it lets Patty do some damage occasionally, as well as plenty of OHKOs of Faval.

Also, if Aless, Shannan or Faval get royally RNG screwed, you can pass Mistolen, Balmung and Ichival to Delmud, Nanna, Lakche, Skasaha or Lester respectively as an alternative, but remember they'll have lesser bonuses from it. Thought I'd mention it since once my Aless was ~L25 with 2 speed above his base. Ack!

First of all, thanks for the reply.

However, the save stating solution to class change poses a problem, albeit minor since the characters involved aren't that good : What about Johalva and Johan? I don't want to backtrack all the way back to find what their promotions are :P

AFAIK, Johan can promote to Berserker, which is kickass because it gives him Wrath as a class skill to combine with his Ambush. However, what are Johalva's options on this one?

I also heard some promoted classes, like the Duke Knight and the General, can promote again. While I know both Cuan and Hannibal can do it, possibly because its their base class, can Fin and Arden do it too?

You're using Lex, right? Same class, same promotions. Johalva is the Axe Knight, right?. If I remember right, it would be Great Knight or a Paladin-like class.

I don't think they can, as I used Finn and I never did. Of course, that may have just been because I didn't try, but whatever.

EDIT: I seriously need o play this again. Of course, I'll need to dig up a save file since it always crashes in Gen 2, turn 2 if I played through Gen 1 on FE Binary. Ack!

Oh, and one more thing. You need to make sure you get this thing called a Narga/Blaggi (can't remember which) Ring before chapter 5. It's somewhere in chapter 2, 3 or 4, and helps you not get owned by Hardain with the Lopto Sword. And give it Levin or another Holy weapon user, since they'll need all the strength they can get.

Edited by CO_Fimbulvetr

Johansgonsolourteam.jpg

(Not my PT)

Perhaps promotions aren't class based but character based instead. I did hear Lex's only options were Great and Iron Knights.

Just assumption, but maybe Johalva's second promotion option is Forrest/Mercenary/Hero?

Possibly, or maybe even Berserker. The thing is, Johan's class skill got a boost (useable all the time instead of half HP), and with Wrath, you can expect some fireworks. IIRC he also starts with a Pugi instead of a Killer Axe for his brother.

Edited by Captain Falcon

I remember making a topic like this at FEP.

Lemme go copy some stuff over here.

Duke Knight(Cuan) -> Master Lord

Princess -> Master Lord

Priest--female(can use light magic) -> Valkyrie(or whatever it's called; basically a mounted healer who can attack with fire, wind, thunder, and light) or High Priest.

Swordfighter(Arya) -> Swordmaster or Female Hero(can use axes, I believe)

Holyn -> Forrest(aka hero) or Forrest Knight

Beowulf -> Forrest(aka hero) or Forrest Knight

Jamka(Hunter) -> Sniper or Warrior

Oh, and since I was bored. I took some screenshots of Chapter 5.

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/1484/13136247ua7.png

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/1350/38555503dx7.png

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/4821/62538621ek5.png

http://img119.imageshack.us/img119/267/11006836pk9.png

And some of my better characters.

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/2499/52031542kw3.png

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/1917/16388655me6.png

http://img395.imageshack.us/img395/2421/68408225zd5.png

http://img375.imageshack.us/img375/3793/65631589qt1.png

http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/3500/69613401sk7.png

I forgot to take a screenshot of Cuan before he left. He was awesome. Eltosian was hax too, forgot to take one of him. His knights are almost impossible to kill. I had to have Levin(as a Sage) solo most of the knights and had him drag them into the forests. I ended up having to pick them off one by one, otherwise I'd be in range of Eltosian... And remember Shagall(he stole the Mistoltin from Eltosian)? He's not shit anymore.

Oh, and Ethlin was crap. But I got her to level 30 for the heck of it. Finn left at level 15(sorry Finn).

Other things notable to mention? Oh, yes. All the Wind Mages in chapter 4 have Blizzard tomes that can now "freeze" you(but it's the same effect as a sleep condition). oh.gif Oh, and there's now long range weapons that allow you to attack twice in a row(Lachesis has the axe one equipped in the screenshot a bit above).

Yeah, and now I'm on chapter 5. Dx

Myrmidons can promote to a Sword/Bow using unmounted class as well.

EDIT: You may have noticed André's awesome Gatling Bow with 4x attack. You receive it in the Final from the leader of the reinforcements from the south of Freege who come from through the forest. Only Ulir blood can use it, if I remember right. Anyway, it kicks some serious ass, so watch it when you fight him.

Edited by CO_Fimbulvetr

I remember making a topic like this at FEP.

Lemme go copy some stuff over here.

Duke Knight(Cuan) -> Master Lord

Princess -> Master Lord

Priest--female(can use light magic) -> Valkyrie(or whatever it's called; basically a mounted healer who can attack with fire, wind, thunder, and light) or High Priest.

Swordfighter(Arya) -> Swordmaster or Female Hero(can use axes, I believe)

Holyn -> Forrest(aka hero) or Forrest Knight

Beowulf -> Forrest(aka hero) or Forrest Knight

Jamka(Hunter) -> Sniper or Warrior

Myrmidons can promote to a Sword/Bow using unmounted class as well.

EDIT: You may have noticed André's awesome Gatling Bow with 4x attack. You receive it in the Final from the leader of the reinforcements from the south of Freege who come from through the forest. Only Ulir blood can use it, if I remember right. Anyway, it kicks some serious ass, so watch it when you fight him.

Many thanks.

Also it's too bad that this Bow is only available for the Final Chapter, but unless there's a lot of people having "the Lopt effect", it shouldn't be too bad. The way you say it, even a few Demon Warlords might die from it.

Edited by Captain Falcon

There's only the Lopto Sword and the Loptousu tome, and one of them is Julius only. If I remember right there's on more Lopto Sword user in the Final, but I'm not sure.

I know there's this Baron in chapter 10 with one, maybe you're thinking of him.

Speaking of the Lopto Sword, I'm pretty sure most people agree to defeat Ishtar for her Torhammer instead? Unless you really need it to protect yourself against the mages in the final chapter.

I almost went for the Lopto Sword simply because Ishtar kept bloody critical hitting my characters. They gave her one hell of a boost, and it shows. That, and probably out of habit from the normal game.

I've always found Aless, Celice and magic users were enough to take out Edda and Velthomer, if that's what you're talking about. Anyway, you don't really need it, but it would definitely help if you've got someone who could use it. However, if Arthur or Tinny are going good in stats go for the Thorhammer and watch the carnage.

EDIT: I'm unsure who can actually use the Lopto Sword, and I'm fairly sure it's locked to some extent. Either save state to check or go for Thorhammer.

Edited by CO_Fimbulvetr

I've always found Aless, Celice and magic users were enough to take out Edda and Velthomer, if that's what you're talking about. Anyway, you don't really need it, but it would definitely help if you've got someone who could use it. However, if Arthur or Tinny are going good in stats go for the Thorhammer and watch the carnage.

EDIT: I'm unsure who can actually use the Lopto Sword, and I'm fairly sure it's locked to some extent. Either save state to check or go for Thorhammer.

I'll see what I can do. I think I have my mind focused on an Azel/Tiltyu pairing, so while one can use Falaflame and the other can use Torhammer, they'll also remain quite fragile. For the last chapter perhaps I could give one the Prayer Ring after a loss at the arena and watch the sparks fly with a long range tome. I know a few mages are tricky in that chapter ( like these guys ), so I thought maybe the Lopto Sword on either of Ayra's kids ( gotta love Nihil to block Shooting Star ) could help.

Also I heard that to use the Lopto Sword you need to have at least 26 points in Strength and Magic combined.

I forgot about the FE5 guys... I never had to fight the ones in Gen 1 because Langbart suicided against Levin, too. I never knew about that guy having Astra either, so maybe I should pay a little more attention next time.

I seriously need to play this again. broken record

Perhaps one last question: when do I get back legendaries in 2nd generation since I know you can't inherit them? I'm pretty sure I know the location of a few, but can someone help me get the others?

Falaflame: Alvis

Thorhammer: Ishtar ( optional )

Holsety: Musar replacement

Tyrfing: Palmark

Swanchika: Brian

I don't think either Balmunk or Narga changed and I'm pretty sure you can't inherit the Gungnir since you have no playable Dains anyway, same with Lopt. So that pretty much leaves the Icheval, the Gae Bolg, the Mistolteen and the Valkyrie staff.

You don't get Gungnir at all - Arione still keeps it for the final chapter. The Gae Bolg and Mistolteen are where they were before, with Altenna and Aless respectively. I can't remember where the other two are.

Well I might have some theories on the Valkyrie staff: namely that it was brought back at Edda and it's useable only in the final chapter.

For Icheval I'm out of clues considering you said Scorpio dropped the Gatling Bow. I don't remember any other bow users that had legendary blood, although they could've modified someone like Ridayle in chapter 10 or Robert in chapter 11 for that.

• 1 month later...

Oh shit, my screenshots.

Scorpio drops the Ichival.

The Gatling Bow is dropped by a Sniper in Chapter 10.

Also, I was sorely disappointed when I found out that wasn't Manfroy-Manfroy. I was even more disappointed when I realized that Manfroy proper has 200 Avoid and the dude next to him has Narga.

I think this sums up FEBinary quite well:

Genericssoloyourteam.jpg

My knowledge of non-English languages is severely lacking, so I just checked the tooltip, saw the little "4" and cursed.

Also.

Skasaha > Lakche, because he can use the Hero Axe unpromoted whereas the two Hero Swords were replaced with crap and garbage.

Anyway, a few promotions off the top of my head (since someone asked)

Cuan's Duke Knight goes to Master Knight or Baron. Master Knight beats Baron in pretty much every way, it's no contest.

First Gen Cavalier -> Duke Knight/Paladin

Second Gen Cavalier -> Forest Knight/Paladin

Male Swordfighter and Sword Knight -> Forest Knight/Forrest

Female Swordfighter -> Swordmaster/Forrest/"Blade Lord" (the last class sucks anyway, terrible stats and Sword/Bows)

Lance Knight -> Paladin/Duke Knight

Troubadour -> Paladin/Mage Knight

Pegasus Knight ->Falcoknight/Dragonmaster

Dragon Knight -> Dragonmaster/Paladin (I believe Paladin is correct, either that or Duke Knight)

First Gen Axe Knight -> Great Knight/Iron Knight (think mounted General, they even dismount to General)

Armor -> Iron Knight

Second Gen Axe Knight -> Great Knight/Iron Knight/Berserker (Berserker = Amazing, 7 Move unmounted +20 Crit Wrath as a class skill, and Johan/Johalva have Major Neir)

First Gen Mage -> Mage Fighter/Mage Knight

Second Gen Male Mage -> Mage Fighter/Mage Knight/Mage General (Wrath + Big Shield + Uber Defense + Uber Str for less AS loss? lolwut. Too bad it only has 5 Move)

Female Mage -> Mage Fighter/Mage Knight (?)

Female Priest -> Shaman/Valkyrie (Shaman is crap, don't do it)

Bowfighter and Arch Knight -> Bow Knight/Sniper

Hunter (Jamka's class) -> Warrior/Sniper

General (Hannibal) -> Baron/Iron Knight

Paladin (Oifaye) -> Great Knight/Duke Knight/Forest Knight (Paladin is better than all 3, don't promote him)

Note: Since FE4 children bases are calculated independently of the class of the parent, it does not matter what class the parent is except for their own performance while they are around. So I would suggest having Ethlin going, say, Mage Knight, because they can use Staves now and have better Magic and stuff and it won't hurt her kids' Strength compared to Paladin.

Shaman, Thief, Prince/Princess, and Lords are the same, although Celice really sucks now because Swords got nerfed and it really magnifies his mediocre bases and growths, especially since the Hero Sword he gets was replaced with a Devil Sword (25 Weight, really?). Holyn/Skasaha are now, IMO, better than Ayra/Lakche.

Bard MIGHT have the option to go Mage Fighter now. I'm assuming that Johalva gets Warrior/Berserker and either Great Knight or Iron Knight as the third option if any.

Dismounting seems to have some bug which causes units to be perma-greyed out, I'm not sure what causes it only that it is related to dismounting my units and having them end their turns dismounted. I generally don't dismount, I suggest you don't as well.

Magic is pretty heavy considering that most mages have garbage for Strength, Falaflame and Thorhammer in particular (Holsety is, as always, Holsety). Falaflame is pretty uber anyway though (+5 Defense is nice, and on that Mage General would make Arthur a beast)

I still am not 100% of what the Dark and Light Hit skills do. Dark seems to randomly increase/lower damage dealt/taken by 20. Not sure of the activation rate. Light Hit is only on like 1 enemy anyway so meh.

Oh shit, my screenshots.

Scorpio drops the Ichival.

The Gatling Bow is dropped by a Sniper in Chapter 10.

Also, I was sorely disappointed when I found out that wasn't Manfroy-Manfroy. I was even more disappointed when I realized that Manfroy proper has 200 Avoid and the dude next to him has Narga.

I think this sums up FEBinary quite well:

Genericssoloyourteam.jpg

My knowledge of non-English languages is severely lacking, so I just checked the tooltip, saw the little "4" and cursed.

Also.

Skasaha > Lakche, because he can use the Hero Axe unpromoted whereas the two Hero Swords were replaced with crap and garbage.

Anyway, a few promotions off the top of my head (since someone asked)

Cuan's Duke Knight goes to Master Knight or Baron. Master Knight beats Baron in pretty much every way, it's no contest.

First Gen Cavalier -> Duke Knight/Paladin

Second Gen Cavalier -> Forest Knight/Paladin

Male Swordfighter and Sword Knight -> Forest Knight/Forrest

Female Swordfighter -> Swordmaster/Forrest/"Blade Lord" (the last class sucks anyway, terrible stats and Sword/Bows)

Lance Knight -> Paladin/Duke Knight

Troubadour -> Paladin/Mage Knight

Pegasus Knight ->Falcoknight/Dragonmaster

Dragon Knight -> Dragonmaster/Paladin (I believe Paladin is correct, either that or Duke Knight)

First Gen Axe Knight -> Great Knight/Iron Knight (think mounted General, they even dismount to General)

Armor -> Iron Knight

Second Gen Axe Knight -> Great Knight/Iron Knight/Berserker (Berserker = Amazing, 7 Move unmounted +20 Crit Wrath as a class skill, and Johan/Johalva have Major Neir)

First Gen Mage -> Mage Fighter/Mage Knight

Second Gen Male Mage -> Mage Fighter/Mage Knight/Mage General (Wrath + Big Shield + Uber Defense + Uber Str for less AS loss? lolwut. Too bad it only has 5 Move)

Female Mage -> Mage Fighter/Mage Knight (?)

Female Priest -> Shaman/Valkyrie (Shaman is crap, don't do it)

Bowfighter and Arch Knight -> Bow Knight/Sniper

Hunter (Jamka's class) -> Warrior/Sniper

General (Hannibal) -> Baron/Iron Knight

Paladin (Oifaye) -> Great Knight/Duke Knight/Forest Knight (Paladin is better than all 3, don't promote him)

Note: Since FE4 children bases are calculated independently of the class of the parent, it does not matter what class the parent is except for their own performance while they are around. So I would suggest having Ethlin going, say, Mage Knight, because they can use Staves now and have better Magic and stuff and it won't hurt her kids' Strength compared to Paladin.

Shaman, Thief, Prince/Princess, and Lords are the same, although Celice really sucks now because Swords got nerfed and it really magnifies his mediocre bases and growths, especially since the Hero Sword he gets was replaced with a Devil Sword (25 Weight, really?). Holyn/Skasaha are now, IMO, better than Ayra/Lakche.

Bard MIGHT have the option to go Mage Fighter now. I'm assuming that Johalva gets Warrior/Berserker and either Great Knight or Iron Knight as the third option if any.

Dismounting seems to have some bug which causes units to be perma-greyed out, I'm not sure what causes it only that it is related to dismounting my units and having them end their turns dismounted. I generally don't dismount, I suggest you don't as well.

Magic is pretty heavy considering that most mages have garbage for Strength, Falaflame and Thorhammer in particular (Holsety is, as always, Holsety). Falaflame is pretty uber anyway though (+5 Defense is nice, and on that Mage General would make Arthur a beast)

I still am not 100% of what the Dark and Light Hit skills do. Dark seems to randomly increase/lower damage dealt/taken by 20. Not sure of the activation rate. Light Hit is only on like 1 enemy anyway so meh.

First of all, thanks for the reply.

I'm already somewhat far, but not in the second generation yet. I'm just really surprised at some skillsets in bosses. Did Shagall REALLY needed Bargain? Also bosses that steal your gold = >:[. Good thing now Bridget can steal gold back now.

Now that I see it, challenging Manfloy is going to be interesting. Unless he has Awareness, though, he's vulnerable to Sun and Moonlight Swords since they give 100% hit if they activate. I also thought about giving these manuals to people with bonus skill on their legendary weapons. I'm guessing we don't get the Light/Dark sword skill manuals though.

I did notice Levin was able to go to Magefighter, but I made him a Sage instead.

I did notice the dismount bug and it's a good thing I had a save state nearby. Ethlin was affected, and IIRC it happened when I dismounted her, then quickly remounted her back, then ending her turn. It was in chapter 1 and I didn'T have a dancer nearby to help me, so I had to use a save state.

Fianlly, unless they modified the original skills:

Holy Sword: Increases damage by 20, also may reduce damage taken by 20

Dark Sword: Multiplies damage by 1, 2 or 3, also may reduce damage taken by 20