Nintendo Direct on February 13 2019

Thane

4 hours ago, Thane said:

It seems like Fire Emblem is being heavily inspired by Persona and Trails of Cold Steel. 

Blame TMS. And where is the port?

Admittedly, I'm not the biggest fan of high school hijinks, partly because in high school, I never really participated in any of them.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

We also still don't know what the actual plot is gonna be like.

That is what E3 is for. -Well there will probably be more before then, but E3 would be the best chance to have an hour-long Treehouse presentation showing the game in action.

3 hours ago, Armagon said:

Link's Awakening HD: My first Zelda game being remastered is wonderful. Complete with a cute, almost toy-like artstyle. Definitely will be picking this up.

Interesting to hear. I don't have a single first Zelda, since I had access to Zelda 1-OoT all at once, plus MM and OoX shortly thereafter.

Speaking of OoX, hopefully they'll get a similar treatment, with perhaps a few OoA puzzles toned down. And then we can get an OoS for Farore. Might as well use the assets for what they're worth. 

Also, the hippo posing nude and mermaid who lost her bikini top in the Japanese version will definitely be getting changed in LA. Not in this era methinks.

3 hours ago, Sire said:

Daemon X Machina
This still looks good and I'm probably gonna try out the prototype demo. It helps that it reminded me of Xenoblade Chronicles X (I thought this was XCX2 when it was first revealed. Look, I want a sequel, okay?) I've been wanting a good Mech game to mess around in as Hawken and Mechwarrior Online are just a mess...

Me too! DXM is going to have to fill the void until we finally get to find out what is up with Mira.

Although this being pure action I suppose, if I ever went online I'd probably be shot dead in an instant.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because of how excited I was about 3H I forgot to mention that aside from 3H I'm also interested in Rune factory 4 (because my 3DS R button broke before I could complete it),  Astral Chain (because Platinum Games is making it) and Dragon Quest because it's confirmed that we can not just choose between JAP and ENG but also change the music which was apparently a big issue for the people that played since the music isn't that well liked.

1 hour ago, Hekselka said:

Dragon Quest because it's confirmed that we can not just choose between JAP and ENG but also change the music which was apparently a big issue for the people that played since the music isn't that well liked.

Less that it’s well-liked, and more that, for a game like this, the composer essentially forced the game to have a rather low-quality MIDI to push cd sale sof the orchestral rensitions.

2 hours ago, Hekselka said:

Because of how excited I was about 3H I forgot to mention that aside from 3H I'm also interested in Rune factory 4 (because my 3DS R button broke before I could complete it),  Astral Chain (because Platinum Games is making it) and Dragon Quest because it's confirmed that we can not just choose between JAP and ENG but also change the music which was apparently a big issue for the people that played since the music isn't that well liked.

I'm so excited for Rune Factory. I wasn't able to find RF4 in any store near me so I'll take this opportunity to play the port on the Switch.

What I'm more interested in is RF5 though. I'm so excited to hear news of a new title! I'm glad the series isn't dead.

As for Dragon Quest, they're adding a lot more than just voice acting, such as more new sidequests. I believe they also added onto a certain optional feature as well, IIRC

Spoiler

The MC is now able to marry more than just Gemma. So Martina, Serena, Erik, and Hendrik are up for romance... well sorta. Erik and Hendrik aren't marriageable, but they will become roommates with you.

3 hours ago, Dai said:

Less that it’s well-liked, and more that, for a game like this, the composer essentially forced the game to have a rather low-quality MIDI to push cd sale sof the orchestral rensitions.

Doesn’t surprise me. I’ve heard that the composer can be a difficult person.

2 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

I'm so excited for Rune Factory. I wasn't able to find RF4 in any store near me so I'll take this opportunity to play the port on the Switch.

What I'm more interested in is RF5 though. I'm so excited to hear news of a new title! I'm glad the series isn't dead.

As for Dragon Quest, they're adding a lot more than just voice acting, such as more new sidequests. I believe they also added onto a certain optional feature as well, IIRC

Hide contents

The MC is now able to marry more than just Gemma. So Martina, Serena, Erik, and Hendrik are up for romance... well sorta. Erik and Hendrik aren't marriageable, but they will become roommates with you.

Oh yeah I’m also interested in RF5. I just didn’t mention it because I still needed to finish RF4.

I’m actually a little bit spoiled when it comes to DQ11 so about your spoiler:

Spoiler

That’s probably a good thing because Genma wasn’t liked all that much from what I’ve read here and there.

Edited by Hekselka

My thoughts:

Mixed thoughts on Fire Emblem: 3 Houses. From a gameplay perspective, it looks great. From a story perspective, I'm worried. It looks wildly ambitious, and Intelligent Systems tends to falter the most when they attempt grand stories with split perspectives. Also mixed on the art. Some of the students look great, others look like Valkyria Chronicles rejects. Also disappointed at the delay. I was planning on taking a Spring vacation for it. Still, it's a must buy and I am looking forward to it. High expectations.

Daemon X Machina is interesting but the demos will decide whether I buy it at full price.

Astral Chains looks great. Stupid, but great. Must buy.

Rune Factory 4 looks alright. Never played a RF game, but this may be my first.

MUA3 was already a must buy for me, but having Defenders characters in makes it that much moreso. I don't care about Jessica Jones or Luke Cage, but Punisher, Daredevil, and Iron Fist are must plays.

Where the fuck is SMT 5?

Edited by Etheus

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

Where the fuck is SMT 5?

Doesn't Atlus tend to skip on the major events? I mean sure Mr. Wildcard III got in here, but only because Smash.

Perhaps E3, perhaps whenever Atlus decides to do its own thing. Hopefully they'll also show up the successor to Etrian Odyssey, since they have to have at least the class artwork done by now.

34 minutes ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

Doesn't Atlus tend to skip on the major events? I mean sure Mr. Wildcard III got in here, but only because Smash.

Perhaps E3, perhaps whenever Atlus decides to do its own thing. Hopefully they'll also show up the successor to Etrian Odyssey, since they have to have at least the class artwork done by now.

That was less a question of "where is it this direct" and more "where is it in general." I'm worried about that game, and I hope it isn't in development Hell.

I've already given my thoughts in details about Fire Emblem Three Houses in the Fire Emblem section, so regarding the others things that interested me in the direct...

Astral Chains is giving me extreme Nier Automata flashbacks, which is a very good thing considering I adored that game. Bayonetta doesn't appeal to me much at all (I regret buying 1+2 on the Switch) so I was pretty indifferent to Platinum studio's Bayonetta 3, but on the other hand this game interests me a lot. Very likely purchase.

Daemon x Machina interests me to some extent: it's a firm "maybe" at this point. I played a bit of the demo (first two stages, failed the third; will retry over the weekend) and my overall opinion remains the same.

I'm not a big Mario fan in general, but Mario Maker is actually interesting. I never played it myself (no Wii U, 3DS version felt too limiting to buy), but the majority of my youtube watching is actually people playing incredibly creative and clever stages. I do have some ideas for a few Fire Emblem-themed levels (assuming the costumes make a return) and I'm interested in playing other people creations so I'll be picking this one up.

7 hours ago, Etheus said:

I'm worried about that game, and I hope it isn't in development Hell.

To be fair they're probably in Hell for the standard research that goes into any of those games.

14 hours ago, Dai said:

A CD that they didn't sell outside of Japan? Japan got the actual music in their version of the game. The composer is just a xenophobic jerk who's offended he has to work on a game that people outside his country will enjoy.

Edited by Glennstavos

11 hours ago, Hekselka said:

Doesn’t surprise me. I’ve heard that the composer can be a difficult person.

Oh yeah I’m also interested in RF5. I just didn’t mention it because I still needed to finish RF4.

I’m actually a little bit spoiled when it comes to DQ11 so about your spoiler:

Hide contents

That’s probably a good thing because Genma wasn’t liked all that much from what I’ve read here and there.

Spoiler

It doesn't help that Martina got immensely popular in Japan IIRC. I wondered why most people didn't like her. She was inoffensive for the most part. Maybe most people just found her too boring?

Late reaction to the recent direct but for the most part I thought it was great although I do think there was an excessive amount of rpgs and anime styled games. Decided to put my thoughts in a spoiler tag since it is rather long. Short story the games that interested me was Mario Maker 2, Yoshi's Crafted World, Bloodstained, FE Three Houses, Daemon X Machina, Astral Chains, and Link's Awakening.

Spoiler

Mario Maker 2 was great to start off with. People knew it was coming, the Mario Maker community were waiting forever for it to be announced and it didn't fail in bring tons of new content  with more content we don't know about yet. 3DWorld content was surprising, personally still hoping we get styles in SMB2 and/or Mario Land as well.

Smash Bros got a smaller segment then I was expecting. Just an announcement for 3.0 update and a Joker's model. Was hoping for a gameplay trailer for Joker but oh well. Maybe we will see it in March or April. Happy to see amiibos for Ivysaur, Squirtle and male Pokémon Trainer but I am disappointed that it looks like they are skipping making one for the female Pokémon Trainer (Leaf/Green).

Forgot Bloodstained even existed but will probably download it when it releases since it is the closest will get to having a Castlevania game on Switch at this time. Another reminder Yoshi's Crafted World is coming next month but I honestly might wait for it to drop to $40-$50 before picking it up.

Still kind of iffy on Three Houses. Don't know what I think of the whole academy setting for a Fire Emblem game. As mentioned already it makes me think of Trails of Cold Steel, especially with Trails of Cold Steel 3 since both games come out this year and the protagonist for both games are a teacher at a military academy that are for nobles/mostly for nobles. None of the characters for Three Houses really look interesting or cool to me either though for now I'm thinking of picking team Blue for now since Dimitri seems the most interesting to me (dude doesn't get that much love compared to the other two) and to make another reference to Trails of Cold Steel he makes me think of Jusis Alberea (it will be even more ironic if Dimitri ends up being voiced by Ben Diskin). The other students from Blue Lions also look slightly more interesting than the other characters.

I'm honestly more interested in seeing what Anna's design and role will be for this game (or if she even shows up at all). Will they make her a teacher or something as well and will they make her an optional recruitable unit again or will relegate her to an npc this time. Avatars returning again was expected and supports are most likely returning as well but I kind of hope supports are toned down and are more limited if it will help improve the writing for them. Hoping customization for Avatar is still there and the basic design is just used for cut scenes but it is understandable if they only have one basic looking design for both genders. I will say the I am liking the game mechanics and the ability to class change your units again. Hopefully the Avatar and the non-student characters can class change as well because it would suck to be stuck with swords, especially if there is still no Javelin/Hand Axe equivalent. So yeah, still not interesting for a Fire Emblem game for me but will still pick it up and play it

Nice to see a demo for Daemon X Machina. It's one of the few games I am actually looking forward to this year and I will have to try the demo out once I have time to sit down and play it. Final Fantasy 7, I never played before and will pick it up since I started getting into the Final Fantasy series recently. I beat FF6 a few months ago and am currently playing through FF4 so FF7 will probably be out once I am done with four. Astral Chain also looks like an interesting game at the moment and makes me wonder if it will have co-op since my brother seems to have interest in it and it would be fun to play the game together.

And finally Link's Awakening. On one hand I am happy to see a remake for such a good classic game since the last Zelda game I truly enjoyed was Twilight Princess and I disliked Skyward Sword, A Link Between World, Breath of the Wild and the DS games. On the other hand I am kind of put off by the blocky, toy like appearance the characters has even though I do kind of get that they might be trying to base it on the 8 bit sprites the original game had though I would have preferred sprites in, I don't know, have HD sprites like what Octopath Traveler did. I never really liked Nintendo's insistence on having 3D models in all their games, especially classics like this one. Oh well, I will most likely pick this game too as long as it's not $60 (it probably will be) but will wait for its price to lower if it is since I'm not in a rush to play it and I do already own the DX version.

All in all I'm happy with this direct. Has been a while since I enjoyed a normal direct though that might be because they weren't shoving Splatoon and ARMS in my face and trying to convince people to play online and buy a subscription.

Here are my (late) reactions to the Direct:

• Super Mario Maker 2 looks fun. I enjoyed the first one, as a non-Mario fan, so I'll keep an eye out for this one.
  • The Smash bit was hilariously rushed. 
  • Onikuni(?) looks great. I like the idea of game where you can play as a character that has access to multiple different fighting styles, and on top of that, it looks like we have access to multiple different spirits that are basically Stands. I'm interested.
  • Three Houses. I'm not going to lie, I'm still on the fence with this game. It looks good gameplay wise. Three Houses looks to be the deepest FE yet, and we've finally got a martial arts class. But on the other hand, the story premise throws me off. Maybe it's because I've been burned super bad by the 3DS titles, but I don't trust this game entirely. As of right now, I'm cautiously interested.
  • Astral Chain. Xenoblade's style meets Bayonetta's combat and Jojo's Stands. Fuck. Yes.
  • Link's Awakening Remake! Yeah! I'm excited for this one! I've been waiting for it since A Link Between Worlds came out, and we are finally here.

In short, I liked this Direct.

Come to think about it, Link's Awakening was my first Zelda game. The ending was tragic - I played through the ending several times, staring at the screen contemplating life as a ten-year-old. I probably wouldn't play the remake, though I would be interested to see if the Oracle games would be similarly remade.

I really do hope that Three Houses would be the first game where Edgelgard (and female Byleth) would take centre stage - start to finish. I want my FE's Minako Arisato of Iwatodai, Rosa of Unova, and Serena of Kalos, and I want it now!

Finally: By any chance, is there any news in region-unlocking the 3DS??? I'd really want this more than anything for this year's Nintendo, because I'm more interested in Radiant Historia and Devil Survivor 1/2 remakes, but the PAL versions are way too scarce and overpriced. 

Edited by henrymidfields

Played the Yoshi demo with a buddy. It was just one level, with a bonus side objective you can do by replaying the level. I hope you can do those sorts of side quests on your first run through, so it's not just inflating the play time by making you play each level twice minimum. However they do a cool thing that should be in more games. Upon completing the side objective, there's a popup where the game asks you if you want to leave the level immediately. That's so good. Usually games like that won't save your progress in that level until you reach the end.

11 hours ago, henrymidfields said:

Finally: By any chance, is there any news in region-unlocking the 3DS??? I'd really want this more than anything for this year's Nintendo, because I'm more interested in Radiant Historia and Devil Survivor 1/2 remakes, but the PAL versions are way too scarce and overpriced. 

If they wanted to region unlock the 3DS they probably would have done it years ago. I remember Iwata saying he wanted to region unlock the Wii U in a press release but it never happened, and I don't think he ever mentioned interest in doing so for the 3DS either. To answer your question from the Atlas thread, yes those games are on the eshop. At least in the US, can't imagine why they wouldn't be in PAL's eshop.