Nintendo Direct tomorrow with Three Houses info!

Corrobin

3 minutes ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

I saw a heart up in the trailer so sadly for you that's likely returning didn't see why it wouldn't lol but looking as 2nd gens could take the back seat for this.

Ninjad

Darn. I don't like the idea of professor x student, but I know I'm still going to be suckered in. Like I didn't like Corrin x Xander but still paired because I liked Xander, not because I liked Corrin with him, dang it >.<

Urgh, please, please, please say we get some level of customisation for the avatar, including the clothing >.< 

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

good grief, I leave for 1 hour and see over 100 replies, anyways, nice to see edelgard will most likely be overshadowed along with dimitri and claude by corrin 2.0, all is right with the world.

that aside I must say, I really don't know how to feel about this, looks like units will be built from the ground up, and that is interesting, but it seems like I will need more before making a judgement.

also, IS, you had 1 job make a half decent looking character, but you doubled down on this bad school uniform aesthetic without bothering with why anyone likes the aesthetic in the first place.

5 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Oh, that it is! The FE fandom has already found their new trailer meme xD

It's awesome!. XD

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

If nothing else, the game should have some replay value with stuff like this.

Oh definitely. I hope this game has much to have fun with. 

1 minute ago, Jingle Jangle said:

According to 3 Houses, Verdain is a very educated country with a majority of the population having a degree in banditry. 

How dare Sigurd lay waste to such a magnificent academy?!

3 minutes ago, TheBraveGallade said:

SMT/persona was always a CERO B/C game, similar to awakening(B) and fates(C) in Japan.

In that case maybe it shouldn't be that much of a problem? God killing plots aren't exactly new at this point and as far as I know don't cause the same kind of controversy anymore as they used to.

Now that I can watch the individual trailer and comb through it in detail, let me give my thoughts:

• Interesting that they're not giving Byleth a customizable appearance beyond sex.  Female!Byleth's design isn't as unpleasant as I was expecting, judging from the comments, but I'm still not super keen on it.  I'd be okay with it if it wasn't on somebody who's supposed to be a teacher.  (On a personal note, I see so many people complaining about her exposed belly button, but here I am wondering what in Kaga's name she has on her legs.)  But what really leaves a bad taste in my mouth is Byleth's characterization in this trailer.  They sound like another bad player-stroking self-insert.  And it'll be even more problematic if this teacher can S-Support their own students and/or Heaven forbid make kids with them.
  • So the obligatory dragon(?) loli is called Sothis.  Much as I hate to say it (because I'm tired of this cliché), her design and especially her voice are probably my favorites so far.
  • It appears as though they're putting more effort into world-building, but I'm nervous that it's just surface-level and that they don't really care all that much about fixing it, if you get what I'm saying.
  • The school setting itself I'm open to.  I just don't like how everybody looks the same thanks to those uniforms.  And I find it weird that so many more people are getting full names now.
  • I like that Combat Arts consume Durability instead of HP.
  • The physical weapon types appear to be Swords, Lances, Axes, Bows, and ...Fighting (gauntlets)?  I must be the only person here so far who doesn't like the idea of Thieves wielding Gauntlets instead of Knives.  The magical weapon types appear to be Faith (Light tomes replacing Staves?) and Reason (Anima and Dark tomes?).  On top of this, there's also Authority, Heavy Armor, Riding, and Flying?  Does this have to do with the Formation system?  I see Edelgard commanding a bunch of cavalry at one point, while she herself is on foot.
  • Playable Brigands, yay.  I guess they replace Fighters as the new main unpromoted Axe infantry?  Awful that reclassing can have a failure rate, though.
  • July 26 release date, about what I expected.  I did not believe for a second that the game would come out any time before that Fire Emblem Expo in Japan.
5 minutes ago, Hunter Nightblood said:

image.png.ca07e61a2738e0dca50d72170e030a43.png

Uhhh... Welp. Hope people like Teacher/Student romance.

aaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGHHHHH!

No!  No no no no NO!

4 minutes ago, Nym said:

I think the way you change class is determined by movement type. They decided to take inspiration from Heroes it seems.

Since Edelgard is an infantry or foot unit, she can only change class to class of the same movement type. That means that the other three only promotes to their respective movement types. We might see more new class of each movement type.

Also, it might be possible the exams are related to the character's weapon levek. Since she's use Axe, she can pass the Brigand exam easily.

When we see the Set Goals Screen we have Linhardt who has both a riding and flying skill. Horsemanship is also talked about in the tutoring section

image.png.64ab9b4c6cf95ea33649d39683554e8e.png

As for Exams being related to character weapon level we see the Brigand test say under Exam Skills Axe C or higher

image.png.31b42472d0e6a156db111bd262494567.png

Having the male version of a character in a serious and practical-looking outfit while the female version has a more revealing, much less serious-looking variant of the outfit is really sexist, and I'm sick of it. It was obnoxious in Fates, and it's still obnoxious here. It'd be fine if both the male and female versions of Byleth had the option of either practical or less practical outfits (equally so for both), but doing it this way is not cool.

The tutoring system is interesting. I've sketched out mechanics like that, although just as a way to build on regular class and base stuff rather than having a whole school setting. Hopefully it works out in a way that still gives the characters enough individuality. Varying weapon aptitudes could be one way of doing that, if it's a meaningful enough difference.

Between the three houses seeming to be working together and there being no mention of a major Fates-style story split, I'm speculating that whichever of the three you choose, you'll go through basically the same main story (say, similar level to Eirika/Ephraim split) and recruit some or all characters from the other two houses, but only be able to tutor the ones from your own house.

21 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

They still do that?

The 3DS had a game where you could kill yvhv.

I suppose it depends on the company that localizes it.

But I just know there are lots here who would make a big stink about it, while it doesn't seem like a tremendous issue in Japan, and Nintendo doesn't like getting embroiled in socio-political controversies.  If there's a game out there that has you fighting religious elements, either it's a Japan exclusive or Nintendo had very little hand in its creation.  While Nintendo isn't a developer for FE, they still will probably be more involved with it as a publisher than other 3rd party games that release on their consoles given they've outright stated it's one of their more major focus games now.

14 minutes ago, omegaxis1 said:

I think the biggest twist this trailer has shown is that all those brigands we fought had actually gone to college and got a degree and license in becoming brigands.

Turns out, it's a serious Major.

No wonder why brigands and pirates are the only units who have historically been able to destroy villages.

You need a specialized education to do it.  What, does that include, like, training in explosives and architecture?

4 minutes ago, Regal Edelgard Axe Master said:

I saw a heart up in the trailer so sadly for you that's likely back but looking as 2nd gens could take the back seat for this.

Hey, I'm totally fine with this.

3 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

This is one of the most amazing features in this game, and it's not even all that revolutionary.

2 minutes ago, Cute Chao said:

I don't like the idea of professor x student

I know of a Van Halen song you'd absolutely hate then.

1 minute ago, Jingle Jangle said:

According to 3 Houses, Verdain is a very educated country with a majority of the population having a degree in banditry. 

6sgOr2V.gif

This is the face of a man who fought tooth and nail to earn his Master's Degree.

He earned honors, you know!  One of the most prestigious alumni of the school of banditry.  He once worked on a group project with Batta the Beast, you can't get more sophisticated an education than that!

1 minute ago, dylan101 said:

When we see the Set Goals Screen we have Linhardt who has both a riding and flying skill. Horsemanship is also talked about in the tutoring section

As for Exams being related to character weapon level we see the Brigand test say under Exam Skills Axe C or higher

Set Goals is definately a different reclassing since all students are noble. They will be able to switch weapons or movement types.

The female avatar design isn't bad, really the only thing that I find weird in it are the leggings? I feel like it could had been so much worst, even if it's a bit revealing, it could had been SO much worst, so I will take it.

2 minutes ago, Othin said:

Having the male version of a character in a serious and practical-looking outfit while the female version has a more revealing, much less serious-looking variant of the outfit is really sexist, and I'm sick of it. It was obnoxious in Fates, and it's still obnoxious here. It'd be fine if both the male and female versions of Byleth had the option of either practical or less practical outfits (equally so for both), but doing it this way is not cool.

Yeah, I agree. I honestly don't know what they were thinking.

3 minutes ago, Othin said:

Between the three houses seeming to be working together and there being no mention of a major Fates-style story split, I'm speculating that whichever of the three you choose, you'll go through basically the same main story (say, similar level to Eirika/Ephraim split) and recruit some or all characters from the other two houses, but only be able to tutor the ones from your own house.

Even if the split isn't as massive, I am a little concerned that once again, they might be making the writers bite off more than they can chew. 

I was expecting something like game of thrones but we got an anime school. Not that I complain just saying. I like the game so far the gameplay seems nice with all the new stuff. The world is also quite good but I am worried by the lack of conflict for now. What I want to know is what happens in the story department. This trailer presents Fódlan as a peaceful land with the three nations and the church living in peace. The first trailer however, told that the church oppresses the land and Edelgard (possibly) mentions the crests and how they are at fault. So either the trailer shows the very beginning of the game or they scraped the whole idea? I mean how would we able to do a lot of our activities if we ended up fighting the church that houses us? 

Also is the narrator of the first trailer Edelgard? I am joining her army 95%

9 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Manfroy was truly a mastermind. He knew that Verdain was a lot smarter then people believed so he manipulated events so they would be taken out first!

Edited by Hekselka

Just now, Rose482 said:

The female avatar design isn't bad, really the only thing that I find weird in it are the leggings? I feel like it could had been so much worst, even if it's a bit revealing, it could had been SO much worst, so I will take it.

Just because it could have been worse doesn't make it good though. The main problem I have with it is how different it is from the male design. As opposed to the male design who is in full armor and looks like a regal teacher, Female is in a sleeveless crop top, booty shorts, and ripped leggings. It is so jarring a difference and really makes me not want to choose her despite always going for the Female MC. I had the same issue in Fates where I wanted to go the Nohr noble path, but choose the Hosido one because I didn't want to have to deal with constant panty shots all the flipping time. It is annoying.

5 minutes ago, dylan101 said:

I really, really love this. Thank for the screenshots!!

I love the intense customization because it's always been one of my favorite aspects of the later Fire Emblem games. I don't like archers that much. Soooo...Python and Tobin were never archers in SoV. Axe units? No thanks. Reclass to swords. I also like it because characters have a certain 'look' to them and I like to make their class match the headcannon I have for them.

Also I hate armors, so I always reclass them. Haha. And it makes sense Noble's would be able to learn everything. They're essentially villagers.

I do wonder though if we're gonna get characters that ARE stuck in their class, or have a specific "canon" set so to speak where they get bonuses for sticking to that class.

Hope flying includes dragons. ^_^

1 minute ago, SuperNova125 said:

I was expecting something like game of thrones but we got an anime school. 

That show is overrated anyways. Couldn't get past season 3. 

2 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

This trailer presents Fódlan as a peaceful land with the three nations and the church living in peace. The first trailer however, told that the church oppresses the land and Edelgard (possibly) mentions the crests and how they are at fault. So either the trailer shows the very beginning of the game or they scraped the whole idea? I mean how would we able to do a lot of our activities if we ended up fighting the church that houses us? 

It could easily be that the peace falls apart near the start of the game. Tellius was at relative peace in the beginning of Path of Radiance, and then the Daein invasion happened.

2 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

I was expecting something like game of thrones but we got an anime school. Not that I complain just saying. I like the game so far the gameplay seems nice with all the new stuff. The world is also quite good but I am worried by the lack of conflict for now. What I want to know is what happens in the story department. This trailer presents Fódlan as a peaceful land with the three nations and the church living in peace. The first trailer however, told that the church oppresses the land and Edelgard (possibly) mentions the crests and how they are at fault. So either the trailer shows the very beginning of the game or they scraped the whole idea? I mean how would we able to do a lot of our activities if we ended up fighting the church that houses us? 

Also is the narrator of the first trailer Edelgard? I am joining her army 95%

I'm going to guess that the prologue will take place in the academy and afterwards we will only use the academy for the teaching stuff.

Maybe we will have a conflict with the church in the prologue and we'll kick them out of there.

The 3 stages of learning to like the new Fire Emblem trailer:

1. Cool setup for the story. Can't wait to see how class changing works
  2. But really though these designs are a bit much, especially that one chick
  3. *Memes until late in the night about something silly like Brigand exams.

Just now, YingofDarkness said:

Just because it could have been worse doesn't make it good though. The main problem I have with it is how different it is from the male design. As opposed to the male design who is in full armor and looks like a regal teacher, Female is in a sleeveless crop top, booty shorts, and ripped leggings. It is so jarring a difference and really makes me not want to choose her despite always going for the Female MC. I had the same issue in Fates where I wanted to go the Nohr noble path, but choose the Hosido one because I didn't want to have to deal with constant panty shots all the flipping time. It is annoying.

I do agree that it doesn't look like something a teacher should wear lol V_V But eh I still feel like some people are making it look worst than it is? But I guess that's just my opinion.