Nintendo Direct tomorrow with Three Houses info!

Corrobin

Maybe it's premature to complain about this, but I can't get over Byleth being the main character and avatar again. I know it was speculated as very likely since the first trailer, but I just will never get the why an avatar is apparently so necessary to a lot of people that we're now forcing established characters to play the role just so we can pretend we're in the story. It's like, why can't Byleth just be a character from that world, why do we have to pretend he's the player? Corrin already showed us why this isn't a good combination. FE doesn't work with avatars in a main role. And while I hate to say it, since I generally liked Fates, it just makes me think they didn't learn anything from the criticism that game received, unlike what happened from Awakening to Fates to SoV. I really hope it's not the case but the general feel of this second look at the game just feels like SoV was actually a bone thrown to quiet down fans of "old" FE instead of the bridge between old and new we thought it was.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

Maybe it's premature to complain about this, but I can't get over Byleth being the main character and avatar again. I know it was speculated as very likely since the first trailer, but I just will never get the why an avatar is apparently so necessary to a lot of people that we're now forcing established characters to play the role just so we can pretend we're in the story. It's like, why can't Byleth just be a character from that world, why do we have to pretend he's the player? Corrin already showed us why this isn't a good combination. FE doesn't work with avatars in a main role. And while I hate to say it, since I generally liked Fates, it just makes me think they didn't learn anything from the criticism that game received, unlike what happened from Awakening to Fates to SoV. I really hope it's not the case but the general feel of this second look at the game just feels like SoV was actually a bone thrown to quiet down fans of "old" FE instead of the bridge between old and new we thought it was.

Avatar protags in RPGs are wildly popular in Japan, and despite how much flak they get on forums like these, Robin and Corrin are very popular characters on the whole. That combined with Fates and Awakening's sales figures means IS has no reason to believe there's a problem

Edited by colossus86

38 minutes ago, Captain Karnage said:

I hate being that guy but am I the only person who really just dislikes the art style

You say that but I've seen a lot of people saying they do not like the art style, including myself. Especially after Hidari for characters.

While I like certain aspects of the game and I'm hoping to see more before I conclude, the reveal has left me almost completely uninterested in the game for now. 

Edited by Tryhard

26 minutes ago, Tryhard said:

You say that but I've seen a lot of people saying they do not like the art style, including myself. Especially after Hidari for characters.

While I like certain aspects of the game and I'm hoping to see more before I conclude, the reveal has left me almost completely uninterested in the game for now. 

I like it for some characters, but on the whole I'm not sold on it yet.

I like what I've seen of the game so far, and the new leveling/class? system looks really interesting. I'm just worried that the avatar's not customizable. I've seen several people point out that the avatar's face appears in animated cutscenes, which makes me really worried. I'm not really a fan of the default F!Byleth and was hoping I'd be able to change up her appearance a bit. (I don't like her outfit but I can fix that by class changing...) I'd be really disappointed if they cut out customization but left avatars in, because customization is what makes having an avatar fun. 

My thoughts on the trailer:

• I am all for the customization of the noble units! Definitely going to try making an army of Pegasus knights and mages.
  • Still excited about the nobles being able to lead troops and I am interested in learning more about this.
  • I am fine with the school theme, but I will be bothered if it is possible for the avatar to romance students. That rubs me the wrong way.
  • Not a fan of favatar's clothing. It is too bulky up top compared to the rest of it. Mavatar has way better style.
  • I am fine with the art style as well. At first I wasn't a fan of awakening and fates art style, but it grew on me. I suppose this art style will do just the same.
  • Also, I like the idea that a unit's clothing changes when they change classes. The nobles clothing may all look a like at first, but as we customize them and change their classes they will start to look a lot more diverse.
  • I hope we get some characters in our party that are not students. I would love if the avatar's father was like an endgame unit who joins the party. Also the lady with the red sword at the end of the trailer looked pretty cool!
  • And I bet that each house will have four female and four male students in it.
  • Expected the release date to be delayed a bit after the dry spell of new information. July 26 isn't too far away....

8 minutes ago, Calico said:

I like what I've seen of the game so far, and the new leveling/class? system looks really interesting. I'm just worried that the avatar's not customizable. I've seen several people point out that the avatar's face appears in animated cutscenes, which makes me really worried. I'm not really a fan of the default F!Byleth and was hoping I'd be able to change up her appearance a bit. (I don't like her outfit but I can fix that by class changing...) I'd be really disappointed if they cut out customization but left avatars in, because customization is what makes having an avatar fun. 

Well, wasn't it like that in Fates too?
For example, you can re-class Camilla into a Mage which will change her outfit, yet her default outfit will still appear in the anime-styled cutscenes right?

So the same could easily happen here.

I definitely think customization is in the game.

:3

Edited by Corrin

I look forward to this. A lot of things were confirmed that we suspected.

I’m not too much a fan of a few implications of Byleth potentially hogging the glory, but I’ll hold hope for the best.

I’m a fan of the cutscenes and feel the school setting can work. It’s nice to try something different every now and then. I feel that the school will wind up tangled in the problems the land faces as they go about normal daily life at the beginning. It’s a common thing in stories really. Either by their own volition or unintentionally.

It looks like there will be a lot more new systems this time around.

Also, I can’t help but think about how crushed I’ll be if any of the students die. I’m considering choosing Classic as my first run for the first time

6 minutes ago, Corrin said:

So the same could easily happen here.

I definitely think customization is in the game.

:3

Robin wore a hood, and all of Corrin’s cutscenes were first-person. We see Byleth’s face clearly in a cutscene

Edited by Arcphoenix

1 minute ago, Arcphoenix said:

Robin wore a hood, and all of Corrin’s cutscenes were first-person.

Right, but all the other characters were in the cutscenes, and you could change their outfits and weapons, yet they would still appear in their default clothes I am pretty sure.

So they can easily do the same with the main character.

You might not be able to change their hair color, but things like outfits and accessories should definitely make it in somehow.

2 hours ago, colossus86 said:

• Seriously can someone who's not Byleth wear some god damn armor? Or is that going to be reserved for "armored" units exclusively

It seems like a lot of the cast can freely reclass based on their skill levels so while their default art will remain a school uniform, at least in combat, they'll use class outfits which have more armor.

Definitely not ideal to make everyone either choosing from a school uniform or uniform class outfits though.

Edited by NekoKnight

Oof, it's been awhile since I've been in these forums thanks to life but since I dragged a friend into Fire Emblem hell and we watched the Direct together, here are my thoughts:

- I'm keeping a rather optimistic and open mind because the vagueness of the actual plot/story I actually find suspenseful in a good way
- I really like the direction of the character and class designs, though I agree that they could do more to make them more practical for combat. I also think the character portraits overall could be more emotive. I think the draw back with having the style that it is, is that the characters look kind of...lifeless or they just have an eternal poker-face because of the eye style. That could very well change if the irises in their eyes were more pronounced but it is what it is, ha
- I don't really get the "anime school" vibes people are getting but maybe it's because I'm in my twenties so I'm projecting my age on to the characters as being not high schoolers. Maybe college aged?
- I was honestly hoping that Byleth would be his own character instead of representing an avatar character but hey third time's the charm right? lol
- I do miss the cutscene style of Awakening or Fates but I'll warm up to it since I'm all for experimentation even if I end up not pleased with it

I don't want to be too negative about a game I haven't even played it because the play experience then doesn't feel genuine because all my mind can focus on are the things that bother me. I remember being rather disappointed and even disgruntled by how 'bad' Fates was and the various controversies that came with it that it made it hard to genuinely enjoy the experience of playing it. But going back to play it after years felt refreshing. It kind of feels like they're 'playing it safe' from the way they're presenting it because of all those things that happened from Fates.

Here's hoping the next updates about Three Houses only go up from here!

53 minutes ago, colossus86 said:

Avatar protags in RPGs are wildly popular in Japan, and despite how much flak they get on forums like these, Robin and Corrin are very popular characters on the whole. That combined with Fates and Awakening's sales figures means IS has no reason to believe there's a problem

That's fine but why not have an avatar who is just a secondary character and not the star of the game? This approach just means they can neither be a completely fleshed out character nor a true blank slate for the player.

Robin is popular for sure but Corrin? For being the star of the Fates games they sure don't feel that popular, the royals (especially Camilla) seem to me to be more popular in general. And from the pre-release cycle for Three Houses, people everywhere seem to be more interested in the three lords (especially Edelgard) than Byleth.

We have the avatar again......complete with "YOU THE PLAYER" talk from the narrator.....yaaaaay.

I hate to be THAT guy but is anyone else disappointed with female Byleth's design compared to the male version?

Exposed chest, Boob armor, Short-shorts, Exposed arms, hell you even get a bit of midriff because why the hell not right?

Look I get that Fire Emblem's an anime game for otaku and all but did no one who looked at this design ask themselves "Why? Why are we doing this?"

All that aside, looks like it'll be a cool game I guess. I'm liking the idea they've presented with it.

21 minutes ago, Corrin said:

Right, but all the other characters were in the cutscenes, and you could change their outfits and weapons, yet they would still appear in their default clothes I am pretty sure.

So they can easily do the same with the main character.

You might not be able to change their hair color, but things like outfits and accessories should definitely make it in somehow.

But I want to change the main character's hair (and face). That's what I'm worried about. I don't care about accessories.

Guest Melissa
12 minutes ago, Book Bro said:

That's fine but why not have an avatar who is just a secondary character and not the star of the game? This approach just means they can neither be a completely fleshed out character nor a true blank slate for the player.

That's what I've been saying, but for some reason they're just a mandatory part of the series now. Which is fine since I've been prepared to approach this franchise with the same mindset as I do with Kingdom Hearts, but it's still a little irritating.

1 minute ago, Calico said:

But I want to change the main character's hair (and face). That's what I'm worried about. I don't care about accessories.

Yeah that has a lower chance of making an appearance sadly.

I hope it is in though.

It might be jarring for some animated cutscenes, but I don't think most mind.

I certainly don't.

1 minute ago, Corrin said:

Yeah that has a lower chance of making an appearance sadly.

I hope it is in though.

It might be jarring for some animated cutscenes, but I don't think most mind.

I certainly don't.

Here's hoping we're both wrong, and customization is in.

On another note why are people taking the hearts in Dorothea's scene that there will be student/teacher romance? Like, I'm sure romance is still in in some way, but don't hearts just generally signal supports? Or it could be tied to an entirely different mechanic, like gambits. Am I missing something here?

I'm digging like everything about the game so far, the setting, way it looks to be we can customize everything. 

I adore stuff like that in tactical games like Ogre Battle, and FE going for the approach and building on mechanics tested in SoV I think this will likely be a big fav FE of mine.