Nintendo Direct tomorrow with Three Houses info!

Corrobin

4 minutes ago, DefyingFates said:

At least her outfit makes more sense than F!Corrin!

Thank you! At least F!Byleth's legs are covered. The midriff showing isn't too large of a cutout, so it's not terrible. Unprofessional for a teacher (especially a military instructor) but not completely ridiculous. F!Corrin has armor everywhere, why couldn't she have had pants!?

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, PrincessAlyson said:

Thank you! At least F!Byleth's legs are covered. The midriff showing isn't too large of a cutout, so it's not terrible. Unprofessional for a teacher (especially a military instructor) but not completely ridiculous. F!Corrin has armor everywhere, why couldn't she have had pants!?

Yeah, for all my criticism of the differences, Byleth is still a step up from Corrin. Just not enough of one.

2 hours ago, DefyingFates said:

Woah, I agree that the design is dumb, but I wouldn't go that far. At least her outfit makes more sense than F!Corrin!

Wow, okay, coming back to this after a night I do agree my reaction was a bit extreme. :P: But to be honest, I really do think that F!Byleth's design is worse than Camilla's. Obviously, in a vacuum, Camilla's design is faaaaar more sexualized and egregious than F!Byleth's, but the issue is not that she happens to be sexualized, but the context that she's sexualized in.

As much as I love Fates, I'd be lying if I didn't say there was a ton of sexualization of characters. Look at Charlotte, the generic brigand, the entire dark mage line, the pantless leotards of cavaliers and dark knights, etc., sexualization was everywhere. And as terrible as Camilla's design is, it's par for the course. Place her next to the other Fates characters and she fits in perfectly. Same logic applies to F!Corrin and all her horrid designs.

However, the same doesn't really apply to F!Byleth. Every character we've seen so far is generally covered up, and those that do have a lot of skin showing (Petra, the female mage teacher with the bob cut) feel natural and tasteful. Are their designs, sexualized? Yeah, but it still manages to fit the setting. It's not done in the way that feels like someone took scissors to them and cut random holes in their outfits like how it worked in Fates. F!Byleth, meanwhile, feels like she follows that scissors-style. The belly button hole and patterned pantyhose don't feel natural at all and if you were to compare F!Byleth to any of the female designs shown in the game so far, it feels out of place and incredibly bizarre. And compounded by the fact that she's meant to be a teacher in a prestigious military academy meant for only the most elite of the continent? I'm sorry, it just feels 10x more wrong than Camilla's or Corrin's designs will ever be.

But hey, that's just my opinion on the matter, you're free to disagree with me on this.

7 hours ago, vanguard333 said:

Oh yay; another FE game where I can't make my avatar a male redhead like myself. Why does Nintendo do this? In almost all their games I've played that had custom protagonists, red hair wasn't an option. 

Let us pray, friends, that one day, they finally get a cue at customization. If the MU is annoying I can always make my own just to spite their canon version.
I'm not petty... I'm very petty and and very childish.

8 hours ago, zuibangde said:

The thing is, I won't be surprised if we don't have access to the units in all three houses. Near the end of the trailer, you see the three lords commanding their army and the narrator says 'Three territories, three houses' which gives me an impression that they're not fighting on the same side of the war.

Also, I think the 'Noble' class is basically a fancier version of 'Villager' class with flexible customization. It would be weird if every single unit you get in the game can be customized so freely. 

I think so too. And I hope it is, it's not the oppinion of everyone, but I have more than enough of class change left and right. Or just class change.

I say those things, I don't have a switch,  and yet I'm excited like a kitten playing with some yarn.

I dunno what's so bad with FAvatar's design, just her pants/leggings.

Edited by B.Leu

The more I look at Byleth, the more I am reminded of Persona. Like both Byleth and Persona's protag are mute characters that have access to a dream like place that no one else can go to (Sothis' realm for Byleth and the Velvet Room for Persona). If this is the case and Byleth is mute, I actually don't mind them being the center character, as long as there isn't any sucking up from other characters that is. Also them not being customisable as it seems helps this as it removes the personal aspect from the avatar that I felt made Robin and Corrin as meh as they were.

On 2/14/2019 at 7:22 AM, zuibangde said:

The thing is, I won't be surprised if we don't have access to the units in all three houses. Near the end of the trailer, you see the three lords commanding their army and the narrator says 'Three territories, three houses' which gives me an impression that they're not fighting on the same side of the war.

Here's hoping the game actually follows through with this idea and doesn't just go "and then they all work together in the end to fight the evil wizard and his dragon" with the main campaign being filled with "I don't want fight you but let's keep fighting so I can say how much I don't want to fight." IS doesn't have the best track record with stuff like this.

Gotta say, I'm loving Byleth's design, something about it just clicks with me. F!Byleth is just another sad case of "GIRL ARMOR" so I wont waste time getting too worked up over that. As for everyone else, the matching outfits aren't an issue for me and the battle animations, while not as good as some of what we see in Echoes, are fine.

I'm not a fan of discount Greil though.

2 hours ago, Pegasus Knight said:

question:

So  we chose a team (eagles, lions, deers) and we can only use characters of that team? if yes then every fraction has to have at least 20 characters... and i guess some will be neutral

Right now, it's looking like there are 8 students in each house, and Byleth makes 9. That's way too small for a full cast, of course. If that's the case, there should be a number of neutral characters, and based on the apparent cooperation between the house leaders, I'm guessing you'll also end up recruiting the other house students as well. (But later in the game, and without the same amount of customization available.)

FE2 suggests the absolute minimum is 32 characters in a full game cast and 16 for a smaller "route". Three Houses will probably end up with quite a bit more than that minimum.

On 2/14/2019 at 7:51 PM, SageOfAnys said:

However, the same doesn't really apply to F!Byleth. Every character we've seen so far is generally covered up, and those that do have a lot of skin showing (Petra, the female mage teacher with the bob cut) feel natural and tasteful. Are their designs, sexualized? Yeah, but it still manages to fit the setting. It's not done in the way that feels like someone took scissors to them and cut random holes in their outfits like how it worked in Fates. F!Byleth, meanwhile, feels like she follows that scissors-style. The belly button hole and patterned pantyhose don't feel natural at all and if you were to compare F!Byleth to any of the female designs shown in the game so far, it feels out of place and incredibly bizarre.

Huh. You're onto something here. I thought her outfit was weird, but looking at her alongside the rest of the cast I agree that she sticks out like a sore thumb. Hmm...thanks!

Now that the dust has settled and I've had time to gather my thoughts a bit more, there's one thing I'm surprised they didn't include, namely just a short bio of the three house leaders' personalities. We've got no real idea what they're about, and the footage we've seen reveals almost nothing. We've seen Dimitri smile in a practice fight, but we've not even heard his voice yet, unless he's the one shouting "over here" in the new trailer but for some reason I believe that was Claude. Edelgard has said a few things but it has all been rather vague due to us not knowing enough about the plot/setting yet (Crests), or directly relating to the plot/school, so you can't really guess her personality based on that.

Before both Fates and Echoes released we got small, periodic updates about various characters' personalities and/or backstories, so I'm sure we'll get info on this in the upcoming months, but I'm surprised we haven't heard a single adjective to describe these chaps. It's all been about Byleth so far.

Guest Boatcat

Hey everyone, I just read all of these analytical responses, and I think I have something to add to the crests discussion.

In the scene where Sylvain is introducing himself to you, he says his name is “Sylvain Jose Gautier” and later, when it shows that gambit boost thing, with Edelgard commanding a calvalry strike on that “Black Beast” it shows the beast’s weapon as the “Crest Stone of Gautier” or something to that effect.

It looks like each crest is connected to a noble family of Fodlàn, and the crests have some kind of role that puts the Black Eagles at least against them.

Maybe if the route splits, it’ll be based on alignment for or against the crests.

I feel like Edelgard, Dmitri, and Claude will be highlighted in separate videos for each of their factions. The first trailer focused on the world, this one focused on Byleth because they can choose any of the three, and the next will go in the order of Edelgard, Dmitri, and then Claude.

After watching multiple times the trailer.. there just sth i dont like about the way the characters are animated... cant pint my finger on what exactly it is...But they feel kind of lifeless and fake... like how in some games some parts of things and characters seem to pass through each other...

Edited by Pegasus Knight