Nintendo Direct tomorrow with Three Houses info!

Corrobin

I'm not really feeling it. From the graphics, to the art style, to the school setting. Just not very appealing to me so far. Maybe later we'll see more on the gameplay and it'll still be fun enough to be worthwhile in that department. It looks like a low-budget imitator of FE by some other company so far. This looks straight up like one of those battle school harem animes. That doesn't mean it's inherently bad, but just not what I was looking for.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I'm excited. The games are giving me both Valkyria Chronicles vibes and Trails of Cold Steel Vibes. The Studio Khara scenes look like SOV, which, while a little clunky, are still nice, and I really like the character designs. The characters seemed more customizable in battle as well. I'm interested in this path. Overall, hopeful and excited.

Story looks questionable based on telltale signs, gameplay looks good from what I can see so far. That said...

I've been giving recent Fire Emblem titles a lot of flak for the insistence on wide-spread romance curbing the diversity of character relationships, age range, and backgrounds.

IS...this setting isn't exactly what I had in mind as a solution.

1 minute ago, yoshitsugu said:

I don't like the school setting, but at least the avatar is a teacher and not a fellow student. The customization options seem cool, though.

Ultimately, the most important thing is the gameplay and I feel like we haven't seen enough of it. Maybe we'll see more at that expo.

Oh right! That stuff lines up now!

Another note, yeah, I did notice that there is a less fanservicey tone to things (to everyone who mentioned it). Did not really focus on the designs (shows how much I mostly don’t care about graphics), so I’ll wait.

1 minute ago, senior firehood said:

i really want to know how it looks like if your unit failed the exam xD

Seeing as they seem to have straight up copied the cutscene style and even musical notes for a good result from Persona, I can see them going all the way and copied the dark cloud/swirly thing and a sweat drop to indicate failure. 

They seem to be having a lot of trouble with the lighting. If you look at the ground in the trailer, a lot of the shadows are coming out at weird angles, and a lot of the speculars are blowing out on the armor. There's a section where you can see one dude's face reflected in byleth's shoulder pads.

It's also giving an overly flat look in some sections.

Still, lighting is literally one of the last things they need to do, and they've got a few months to clean it up.

I think the designs are solid, but again, just need more cleaning and polish.

Edited by dragonlordsd

20 minutes ago, SageOfAnys said:

Okay, before I rewatch the trailer, lemme say a few things about what I saw:

• What the actual hell was the female design. A bellybutton hole? What are those pants? I might legit play as a male avatar this time around because that design is TERRIBLE

Agreed, I honestly enjoyed the trailer a lot but that female design is not something you should wear if you're going to fight for your life.

One thing to note about the less fanservicey designs, for F!Bylethe, it looks like they de-sexualized her, but kept a lot of the elements they would attribute to sexualized characters such as the disproportionate bust that appears to be in a push-up and the oddly placed cut-outs.  I hope we get multiple body-types

4 minutes ago, Hekselka said:

Agreed, I honestly enjoyed the trailer a lot but that female design is not something you should wear if you're going to fight for your life.

Not even for combat, the male teacher gets a regal appearance, she gets booty shorts and cut-outs, as a teacher

Edited by Flygunn

1 minute ago, Hekselka said:

I kind of like that. It looks like you can really build units from start.

But that's not what I enjoyed about Fire Emblem, ever.

Edited by Slumber

2 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Agh.

I still like the look of the game, but I hate that it's "Micromanage all of your units" again.

It's rather new, though. This allows plenty of flexibility for players. And it isn't like this is new for RPGs. 

BTW, anyone notice the little thing where it seemed like Byleth got hit on the back with an axe, and then there was a rewind where Byleth beat the guy?

I think Turnwheel might come back.

I’m wondering if each house is supposed to be a reference to Go, I wonder if that means Kozaki is designing the characters again, since he designed Willow and the team leaders. 

EDIT: If it I’ll choose Dimitri, since blue = Articuno.

Edited by ZeManaphy

Just now, Slumber said:

Agh.

I still like the look of the game, but I hate that it's "Micromanage all of your units" again.

I know how you feel. I like some of the ideas that they presented, but some of it seemed a bit much. I play Fire Emblem for tactical gameplay and engaging story. If I wanted to spend the bulk of the game micromanaging, I'd play Age of Empires. 

Just now, flare9 said:

i guess no children this time?

I think so, and that's good if it is the case (if, by children, you mean the 2nd gen units). 

Male Byleth will be my go to.

Anyways. I'm liking where this is going. We have a father! One that looks cooler than Validar, anyways.

I'm a bit iffy with the school setting, but I'm wondering if they'll eventually graduate and go on your typical FE quest.

I like the character designs. Nothing too revealing or fanservicey, but with enough flair to show that this is a fantasy srpg. 

Either way, I'm fairly optimistic about it. I just feel like there's tons that we don't know anything about.

5 minutes ago, Slumber said:

Agh.

I'd say, that's certainly one of the things I look least forward as well, at the moment.

Just now, omegaxis1 said:

It's rather new, though. This allows plenty of flexibility for players. And it isn't like this is new for RPGs. 

BTW, anyone notice the little thing where it seemed like Byleth got hit on the back with an axe, and then there was a rewind where Byleth beat the guy?

I think Turnwheel might come back.

"Rather new" as in it really started with FE11, with limits really getting removed in Awakening, a game I don't like. And this game looks like more micromanaging.

I am really interested in how they are doing the armoured units, I didn't see any but in the teaching part, they had a "heavy armour" button.  I wonder if it will look like classical FE knights or a new aesthetic based on the European WWI theme