February 2019 Direct Analysis

VincentASM

Via the main site

That took a lot longer than I planned. I started at 11 am and now it's 5:30 am.

I tried to cover everything I could, but I am heavily sleep deprived so, yeah. In particular, I was too tired to proof read the second half. So if you spot something wonky or something I missed, please let me know ^^

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent work my man

Although I had to laugh a little when I saw the Curve shot and you accidently writing down "Fire emblem heroes" for when it first appeared (though its hyperlink is to the right one, which is Echoes but I chuckled a little) anyways I like all the theories and stuff... I think the story will be effected based on who you choose, with the other chars (I.e the other two groups) joining you later in your quest.

Also some of these names are interesting... I guess they figured they'd give us a break with a whole crapload of norse and Nordic names... instead giving us names such as Ferdinand

Edited by Ronman5

PS1b34loF6Cuoei0CGb9Uv3okRU=.gif

Anyway, the "form" thing makes me think that the avatar's gender is irrelevant, perhaps taking away avatar romances (which is probably the best given the school setting) and babies

I love these every time there's a new game, and this time is just as good, Vincent! Your breakdown of the rapid fire scenes at the end is comforting, that's for sure. I feel a little less bummed out after reading it. Hopefully we don't have to wait too long to get more story/lore details for those of us worried about the anime school stuff.

Great work! 

I think in the Dmitri section near the beginning you mixed up their named 

So questions for You or anyone else reading:

few questions! 

Do you think the story’s will converge? Or is it 3 totally different games? I just want a lot of units not like 10..

To me it looks like supports are gone, but the support system is in? So no conversations but still bonus? Or at least no marriage. Idk that make sense?

Or is it probably just your few students 10-20? 

Also, is the class Noble->Mage->Sorcerer? Or do you think tier two classes are gone to promote the idea of making every use every class for some time? (Since it seems like we’re meant to make everyone train in everything) 

Lastly, did you ever notice Byleth talk? He may only grunt/be totally silent and have no role in the story. 

47 minutes ago, Johann said:

PS1b34loF6Cuoei0CGb9Uv3okRU=.gif

Anyway, the "form" thing makes me think that the avatar's gender is irrelevant, perhaps taking away avatar romances (which is probably the best given the school setting) and babies

Or you know its a fancy way of saying Avatar that means nothing. Also they're not kids its a Military academy....

22 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

Great work! 

I think in the Dmitri section near the beginning you mixed up their named 

So questions for You or anyone else reading:

few questions! 

Do you think the story’s will converge? Or is it 3 totally different games? I just want a lot of units not like 10..

To me it looks like supports are gone, but the support system is in? So no conversations but still bonus? Or at least no marriage. Idk that make sense?

Or is it probably just your few students 10-20? 

Also, is the class Noble->Mage->Sorcerer? Or do you think tier two classes are gone to promote the idea of making every use every class for some time? (Since it seems like we’re meant to make everyone train in everything) 

Lastly, did you ever notice Byleth talk? He may only grunt/be totally silent and have no role in the story. 

Did I misheard but I clearly heard we are the main Hero even wielding the same important sword.

30 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

Oh, this is actually something I made a topic about many months ago with the teaser, haha. I do believe he doesn't talk; my theory with the teaser was the fact he never opens his mouth when doing a critical hit, which another character does here in the new trailer. In any case, Byleth does remains silent both in the teaser and in this trailer, also his face looks so bored :>_<: but that's neither here nor there. I really think he'll be the silent type.

That being said, I do think he will have an important role in the story, simply because the trailer said he was 'the hero the world needs', and also because of him being the only one able to see Sothis. And that dark miasma thing surrounding him at the end of the video looks important, I think :P:

Thank you as always for your hard work, Vincent. We appreciate it. Gonna read all of it on the way to work, but so far, I just have one question... 

Why do "we" wield swords and not magic? Come on, don't bloat the red pool further. 

3 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

Oh, this is actually something I made a topic about many months ago with the teaser, haha. I do believe he doesn't talk; my theory with the teaser was the fact he never opens his mouth when doing a critical hit, which another character does here in the new trailer. In any case, Byleth does remains silent both in the teaser and in this trailer, also his face looks so bored :>_<: but that's neither here nor there. I really think he'll be the silent type.

That being said, I do think he will have an important role in the story, simply because the trailer said he was 'the hero the world needs', and also because of him being the only one able to see Sothis. And that dark miasma thing surrounding him at the end of the video looks important, I think :P:

Yeah...I’m really not happy about a story splitting in three ways around a character who doesn’t even talk...that’s really sad to me in fact!

12 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

Yeah...I’m really not happy about a story splitting in three ways around a character who doesn’t even talk...that’s really sad to me in fact!

Oh... You are absolutely right :(: I haven't thought of that :>_<:.

I don't think we'll have three different paths this time, though, more like just three different armies to choose from, but in any case it doesn't sound so good... 

Just now, Chopper... said:

Oh... You are absolutely right :(: I haven't thought of that :>_<:.

I don't think we'll have three different paths this time, though, more like just three different armies to choose from, but in any case it doesn't sound so good... 

Maybe, I don’t know right now I’m in a very nervous spot. I want a reason to like Byleth but...

4 minutes ago, IEatLasers said:

Maybe, I don’t know right now I’m in a very nervous spot. I want a reason to like Byleth but...

I get you, I'm the same right now :>_<: and it worried me how terribly uncharismatic he was in the trailer.

3 hours ago, Chopper... said:

Interesting noting that about his mouth, and seeing him not talk in the latest trailer has me curious if you're right. Though it seems an odd choice actually, because even famous silent protagonists like Link still make grunts and groans and stuff. Having Byleth be COMPLETELY silent would feel off even for a silent protagonist.

Now I'm almost wondering if there's something significant about Byleth's voice, haha. Some folks have noted that it says "choose your form" rather than "choose your gender" on the screen for selecting which version of Byleth you play as, but now I'm imagining Byleth as some ancient eldritch being who speaks with a thousand overlapping voices that drive others mad and only deigns to take on a human like form. :D

Okay not really, but I DO wonder if something about their voice might be important in some way and they're hiding that from the trailers for now.

1 hour ago, colossus86 said:

I'd bet good money that the choice of house is a sacred stones esq thing that only largely effects one act of the game (in this case the first act) and then the game's main conflict causes things to converge

That's what I'm expecting as well; it'll effect the early game and who chimes in the most in plot scenes but you still end up with everybody eventually.

6 hours ago, Thane said:

Thank you as always for your hard work, Vincent. We appreciate it. Gonna read all of it on the way to work, but so far, I just have one question... 

Why do "we" wield swords and not magic? Come on, don't bloat the red pool further. 

Simple, so it's easier for Sakurai to add another Marth inspired fighter.

Thank you very much for the analysis! It's very entertaining and there's a ton of things I hadn't noticed... Especially interesting are the changes from the Japanese trailer, in particular things like what the fingers means in the training screen.

One thing semi-important thing I didn't see mentioned: When Bernadetta selected Curve Shot, her attack range actually changed to 2-3 range. That makes a huge difference in archer usability.

Edit: I'm curious about the "Professor level" thing. Normally, you'd think it would be weapon experience to the character herself, but the term "Professor Level" sounds as if it apply to the protagonist instead. Do you level up swords for all characters at once..? Or does it mean that the more your students use sword, the easier it is to teach swords to other units?

Re-edit: Wait, I just noticed that there's no first tier flying unit? None of the options shown on the reclass screen offer flying.

Edited by Ayra

8 hours ago, Serea-chan said:

Maybe Mercie is a nickname for Mercedes from the original trailer? 

Thanks! I hadn't thought of that, but they do look similar.

8 hours ago, Ronman5 said:

Although I had to laugh a little when I saw the Curve shot and you accidently writing down "Fire emblem heroes" for when it first appeared (though its hyperlink is to the right one, which is Echoes but I chuckled a little)

Whoops!

50 minutes ago, Ayra said:

One thing semi-important thing I didn't see mentioned: When Bernadetta selected Curve Shot, her attack range actually changed to 2-3 range. That makes a huge difference in archer usability.

Edit: I'm curious about the "Professor level" thing. Normally, you'd think it would be weapon experience to the character herself, but the term "Professor Level" sounds as if it apply to the protagonist instead. Do you level up swords for all characters at once..? Or does it mean that the more your students use sword, the easier it is to teach swords to other units?

Thanks! I added that now.

Hmm, it's hard to tell. In the Japanese trailer, it's just "Next Skill Level". So it might not mean anything special.

Also, I'll add this in a bit, but the Knights of Serios mentioned in the trailer are literally the troops/battalions that support you.

1 hour ago, Ayra said:

Re-edit: Wait, I just noticed that there's no first tier flying unit? None of the options shown on the reclass screen offer flying.

The reclass screen didn't seem to show everything, there was a divider at the bottom suggesting more if you scroll down.

Also, it's possible that there may be some restrictions on available classes, such as based on house.