February 2019 Direct Analysis

VincentASM

17 minutes ago, Othin said:

The reclass screen didn't seem to show everything, there was a divider at the bottom suggesting more if you scroll down.

Also, it's possible that there may be some restrictions on available classes, such as based on house.

That's a good point regarding the divider; I didn't see a scroll bar so I assumed it was a full list, but the divider gives me some hope. Pegasus knights are my favorite Fire Emblem class and I really don't want to go without! 

Well, flyers certainly exist considering the flying skill and iron bow anti-flyer bonus, it's more the first-tier existance I'm wondering. House-specific is a possibility too, since Dimitri's faction has a griffin as a symbol. If that's the case, I know which faction I'm picking.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Linhardt appears to be a dude, you can tell from their voice in the trailer. And the blonde swordsman at the end is a woman(Pic here).

Good analysis, I didn't notice that Leonie was holding a bow during the cutscene. Though if she is a bow user, that means that we'd start out with at least three bow users in the Golden Deer, alongside Hilda and Claude.

Also, I wonder how you level up riding/flying proficiencies. Do you just equip one and they level up in battle, and with enough you can change your students into a mounted class? I wonder if pegasi/wyverns/griffons will belong to different factions.

And when Lindhardt heals Byleth, he's not holding a stave. And the students aren't holding tomes when practicing magic, so I guess the magic system is more like Gaiden's.

7 minutes ago, Calico said:

Linhardt appears to be a dude, you can tell from their voice in the trailer. And the blonde swordsman at the end is a woman(Pic here).

Good analysis, I didn't notice that Leonie was holding a bow during the cutscene. Though if she is a bow user, that means that we'd start out with at least three bow users in the Golden Deer, alongside Hilda and Claude.

Also, I wonder how you level up riding/flying proficiencies. Do you just equip one and they level up in battle, and with enough you can change your students into a mounted class? I wonder if pegasi/wyverns/griffons will belong to different factions.

And when Lindhardt heals Byleth, he's not holding a stave. And the students aren't holding tomes when practicing magic, so I guess the magic system is more like Gaiden's.

Good catch with the blonde swordsman/woman. That part was so fast and blurry, even frame skipping didn't do much.

I think you've probably got the right idea. Although I'm not sure how it would work logically. Can you really learn to fly just by fighting enemies as normal?

Yeah, with Combat Arts coming back, I wasn't too surprised. That could also mean the technology of Fodlan is similar to Valentia's.

3 minutes ago, Onestep said:

One of the lessons that you can teach students is 'Authority'. I'm guessing that this is the stat that controls formations and gambits that units can use?

Hmm, that could be possible.

For reference, it's the same stat as Authority and Leadership in Radiant Dawn and Genealogy of the Holy War.

Just like how Reason is the same as Anima. TBH, I dunno why they changed it to Reason (even though it's accurate), when they kept it as Anima in Heroes.

Then again, they changed Heaven from the Tellius games to Astra in Heroes, so consistency isn't their strong suit...

1 minute ago, Corrobin said:

Are any names changed from the Japanese version of the trailer to the English one?

Surprisingly none that I noticed. Even the Japanese world map has been changed to the English one.

Some of the spellings take some time to figure out though. Like Byleth is written as Bereto, but that's apparently how Byleth is spelled in Japanese.

I'll take another look soon and let you know if I find any...

6 hours ago, Mad_Scientist said:

Now I'm almost wondering if there's something significant about Byleth's voice, haha. Some folks have noted that it says "choose your form" rather than "choose your gender" on the screen for selecting which version of Byleth you play as, but now I'm imagining Byleth as some ancient eldritch being who speaks with a thousand overlapping voices that drive others mad and only deigns to take on a human like form. :D

Okay not really, but I DO wonder if something about their voice might be important in some way and they're hiding that from the trailers for now.

Haha this would be soo cool! :lol: Like this really big revelatory thing that shocks you like when you discover who the villains are in Bravely Default and Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies :blink: Not to say he'd be the villain but you know, those dark flames surrounding him suggest something Robin-like (I hope it's not just that, though, but something new!).

I don't know if this has been brought up, but Im guessing that the scene where Edelgard, Claude, and Dimitri all command separate armies in a cutscene is the mock battle mentioned in the first trailer. They all look a little too happy to be fighting each other.

So far we've seen the Black Beast with its Crest of Gautier being fought against, and in the first trailer they fought against Kingdom Soldiers. Get your shit together, Dimitri.

Doh, I keep finding new things. Please stop me.

It seems both of the teachers introduced appeared in the first trailer.

Mustached man is here:

threehouses-foes.jpg

Lady teacher is here:

e3-lady-mage.jpg

Obviously, you can spot many of the other students on the map. But I thought it was cool that teachers can fight too.

4 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Mustached man is here:

threehouses-foes.jpg

Lady teacher is here:

e3-lady-mage.jpg

Obviously, you can spot many of the other students on the map. But I thought it was cool that teachers can fight too.

Also interesting to note is that in the first screen, the stern dark-haired guy is shown using bows, yet the most recent trailer has him with offensive magic.

EDIT: Actually, wait that's a shot from slightly later on. Here's what I was thinking of:

threehouses-viewpoint.jpg

Either he specializes in both or they changed things mid-development (this gives hope that the Golden Deer isn't just a hunting club, what with Claude, Leonie, Hilda, and purple-haired guy all having been shown with bows at one point)

Edited by The DanMan

10 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Mustached man is here:

threehouses-foes.jpg

This screenshot is actually pretty interesting since it is showing Ashe as being part of the Golden Deer team, and not Blue Lions like everyone has him pegged. It is probably either a last minute change, or maybe a character we had seen before for this group. He doesn't seem to match anyone else at any rate.

I'm thinking this is a crest.

drama-6.jpg

As it features the exact same symbol we see in the Goddess mural, bottom left.

healcircle.jpg

So I'm imaging this is what the crest stones are, like the one the Black Beast has. We see these symbols used elsewhere in magic spells and as the house crests. Are the crest stones what fuel that power or are they themselves just imbued with that power and the real crests are still yet something else?

Given how the High Priestess in the E3 trailer embraces the chain sword which has one if these stones in its hilt I get the feeling they're the real deal.

8 hours ago, The DanMan said:

Either he specializes in both or they changed things mid-development (this gives hope that the Golden Deer isn't just a hunting club, what with Claude, Leonie, Hilda, and purple-haired guy all having been shown with bows at one point)

Who knows, the short promoted shot we see of him is still a magic user, apparently. Bows and magic are a pretty rare combination, but the system we've been shown seems like it'd allow it, at least in their starter class. Outside of that, purple haired gentleman seems to be using a lance, judging from his stance.

2 hours ago, YingofDarkness said:

This screenshot is actually pretty interesting since it is showing Ashe as being part of the Golden Deer team, and not Blue Lions like everyone has him pegged. It is probably either a last minute change, or maybe a character we had seen before for this group. He doesn't seem to match anyone else at any rate.

You're right! I must have been in full tunnel vision mode to miss that. Especially considering how many times I've watched the original trailer.
Hmmm, guess there'll always be time to update the thread it it's confirmed incorrect. For now there seems to be a consensus, like you said.

I'll drop the part about Hilda and purple guy in the reasoning though. It doesn't make sense as a result.

Sorry in advance if I'm misleading everybody.

Edited by Cysx

9 hours ago, Enduin said:

I'm thinking this is a crest.

As it features the exact same symbol we see in the Goddess mural, bottom left.

So I'm imaging this is what the crest stones are, like the one the Black Beast has. We see these symbols used elsewhere in magic spells and as the house crests. Are the crest stones what fuel that power or are they themselves just imbued with that power and the real crests are still yet something else?

Given how the High Priestess in the E3 trailer embraces the chain sword which has one if these stones in its hilt I get the feeling they're the real deal.

Great catch!

It took me a while to see the crest even after you pointed it out.

Speaking of crests, you can clearly see all the crests--even the worn out ones--on the edge of the soundtrack CD in the NA special edition. Because of the product placement, you can't actually see all the crests though, haha.

10 hours ago, YingofDarkness said:

8 hours ago, Cysx said:

Who knows, the short promoted shot we see of him is still a magic user, apparently. Bows and magic are a pretty rare combination, but the system we've been shown seems like it'd allow it, at least in their starter class. Outside of that, purple haired gentleman seems to be using a lance, judging from his stance.

You're right! I must have been in full tunnel vision mode to miss that. Especially considering how many times I've watched the original trailer.
Hmmm, guess there'll always be time to update the thread it it's confirmed incorrect. For now there seems to be a consensus, like you said.

I'll drop the part about Hilda and purple guy in the reasoning though. It doesn't make sense as a result.

Sorry in advance if I'm misleading everybody.

Yeah, I know what you mean. TBH, our logic for putting people in houses is pretty flimsy, especially since students can logically interact with those from other classes.

That said, if we're going by each class having 8 members, you can see all of Claude's members is his intro cutscene--and Ashe doesn't seem to among them. Instead, there seems to be a different blonde-haired girl and a girl with short braided hair (who we only see from the back). Meanwhile, if you put Ashe in Dimitri's class, you get exactly 8 as well.

Double post because I did some more digging.

Anyway, here's an edited image to make it easier to see the crest on the stone:

crest-stone.jpg

Also, I had a proper look at the soundtrack CD and recreated all the missing crests from the mural:

21-emblems-2.jpg

They're not perfect, but way better than what we had before ^^

2 hours ago, VincentASM said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. TBH, our logic for putting people in houses is pretty flimsy, especially since students can logically interact with those from other classes.

That said, if we're going by each class having 8 members, you can see all of Claude's members is his intro cutscene--and Ashe doesn't seem to among them. Instead, there seems to be a different blonde-haired girl and a girl with short braided hair (who we only see from the back). Meanwhile, if you put Ashe in Dimitri's class, you get exactly 8 as well.

I can definitely agree. If anything it was relief to see everyone making their own list generally agreeing. But we could all be wrong still.

As I said somewhere else, I'm not too willing to assume that those two girls are part of the playable cast. They get bonus points for being confirmed Golden Deer, but unidentified students showing up back to the camera is just way too common in that trailer. And there's the matter of the other two behind Sylvain at 2:53. I'm not convinced they went ahead and created 3D models for unplayable characters, though that's obviously possible still. They could also be enemies.

I do still think that Ashe is a Blue lion, just, him joining Hilda and purple in trailer 1 feels pretty significant as well.

Seems like there's a possibility any "villager" unit can learn anything. Characters definitely have preferences/cheaper investment options, but not seeing the whole scroll list of possibilities leaves me wondering. This might replace character specific growth rates? Was there a section showing actual stats on the students, such as agility and strength? Combat arts could possibly be something you can carry over to other classes? The whole skill leveling thing to take a test seems similar to jobs in final fantasy tactics. Level up mounted, D bows, and xp to unlock bow knight? I'm hoping this game won't have the issue RD has. Lots of viable units get ruined by availability from "acts". House selection might boil down to a cosmetic decision. The story could go the same way but you experience it with a different main Noble (voice lines/cinematics etc) and having different faces on student villager units who are customizable.

Perhaps it's pessimism, but who is in what army in the trailers could have no meaning for what the released game has. "Show some characters fighting" might explain some of the house discrepancies. Maybe I should've put this in a different thread....

6 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

For here I'm not sure if the game has two different builds or there is some quality change in the settings. I prefer the look of the English version.

I think the English trailer probably uses a later build. It looks like they've done more texture and shading work on it.

I don't know why that English UI box needs to take up so much space for just 2 bows though!

1 minute ago, Lynsanity said:

I think the English trailer probably uses a later build. It looks like they've done more texture and shading work on it.

I don't know why that English UI box needs to take up so much space for just 2 bows though!

could be they decided to increase the item limit from 5 to ~8 or something

7 hours ago, Cysx said:

As I said somewhere else, I'm not too willing to assume that those two girls are part of the playable cast. They get bonus points for being confirmed Golden Deer, but unidentified students showing up back to the camera is just way too common in that trailer. And there's the matter of the other two behind Sylvain at 2:53. I'm not convinced they went ahead and created 3D models for unplayable characters, though that's obviously possible still. They could also be enemies.

I'd find it a bit strange if we didn't have some 3D models for uplayable characters in the game actually. That school looks so big, and most RPG's have at least a couple of NPC's around to tell you something about the world. Fire Emblem was one of the few I knew that didn't really have that, but that changed in SoV. Every town had some NPC's to tell you a little bit extra about the current area you are in. I doubt they would go back to how it was prior. Making 3D models can be difficult, but they only need to make a couple and then just copy them. I know it isn't that easy, and it does create extra work for them. However it can be a pretty easy way to flesh out the world a bit more as well as fill up some of that empty space we see in the trailer. Everything looks so empty and boring as it is now.

I'm surprised that no-one's really brought up this screenshot, taken on the map right before the Gambit Boost is initiated on the Black Beast.

20190216_013909.thumb.jpg.01d8862ea7f66c40d9f49cd9d70f5a14.jpg

A couple of key points this raises:

- Byleth definitely has the sword that he held in this trailer as well as the holy woman held during the E3 trailer, maybe the chain whip sword but I can't tell. It's also glowing as if it detects the energy from the Crest Stone.

- Idk if Ferdinand and the Shady guy look promoted in this but going off of Edel being probably promoted in this scene so I'm going to assume this is after the school arc.

- All 4 of these units in this shot - Byleth, Edel, Ferdinand and Shady Boi, are playable in the Black Eagles, which would either suggest that this is before we get the other houses' pupils, or that we don't get them at all. They could have just chosen these 4 particularly to throw us off though and the other houses' pupils are in the party by this point just not shown.

- Finally, the Black Beast takes up 4 tiles on the map, which is pretty cool to show it's size, it'll be pretty open to attack on Player Phase but enemy phase will allow it to attack a lot more targets.

Edited by HappyHawlucha.

52 minutes ago, YingofDarkness said:

I'd find it a bit strange if we didn't have some 3D models for uplayable characters in the game actually. That school looks so big, and most RPG's have at least a couple of NPC's around to tell you something about the world. Fire Emblem was one of the few I knew that didn't really have that, but that changed in SoV. Every town had some NPC's to tell you a little bit extra about the current area you are in. I doubt they would go back to how it was prior. Making 3D models can be difficult, but they only need to make a couple and then just copy them. I know it isn't that easy, and it does create extra work for them. However it can be a pretty easy way to flesh out the world a bit more as well as fill up some of that empty space we see in the trailer. Everything looks so empty and boring as it is now.

I definitely think we'll have generics, in fact we have already seen generic soldiers, priests and students roaming about, primarily in the first trailer, at 1:10 for the student... aaah screw it have a shot:
KvLWJCO.jpg

As for more unique npcs, it's hard to say at this point. The main issue is that since everybody's wearing a variation of the same uniform, there's very little reason to say the ones I brought up earlier couldn't be playable characters we simply didn't get introduced to imo.

I don't think things look that boring myself, though we did get way too many dark classroom shots this time around.

Oh and also, the japanese trailer has a different angle for the Leonie and Raphael scene, which reveals an additional student originally hidden by Byleth:
si57jHV.jpg

Admittedly, that's starting to make a lot of them.