February 2019 Direct Analysis

VincentASM

41 minutes ago, HappyHawlucha. said:

- All 4 of these units in this shot - Byleth, Edel, Ferdinand and Shady Boi, are playable in the Black Eagles, which would either suggest that this is before we get the other houses' pupils, or that we don't get them at all. They could have just chosen these 4 particularly to throw us off though and the other houses' pupils are in the party by this point just not shown.

I'm guessing there are other house units playable by that point but they kept them out of the shot to avoid confirming that just yet. So I don't think it says much either way.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Something I just saw pointed out on gamefaqs and grabbed a couple screens of:

Microsoft-Edge-2-16-2019-11-54-09-AM.png

Petra needs 110 experience to advance to level 3.

Microsoft-Edge-2-16-2019-11-56-08-AM.png

And gets 48 experience from the kill.

Kinda funny that it was right in front of us but it took this long to be noticed.

Seems like the traditional 100 EXP per level and EXP scaling is gone.

Gambits might change the value of low man tactics (better or worse). Having units take up multiple spaces due to raw stats could incentivize more units, so chip damage becomes more valuable. I personally see low man as always useful, unless gameplay is designed to not make it possible. I think of shadow dragon on 5 star difficulty. The first half of the game prevents low man with multiple threats and similar base stats between player/ai units.

23 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

If i have to guess, they are doing it to try and stop lowmaning?
By making Levelups (much) harder for higher lvld units, you will need to use multipe units on near the same level to clear the map

It doesn't necessarily make leveling harder. All depends on how things scale.

13 minutes ago, Centh said:

Gambits might change the value of low man tactics (better or worse). Having units take up multiple spaces due to raw stats could incentivize more units, so chip damage becomes more valuable. I personally see low man as always useful, unless gameplay is designed to not make it possible. I think of shadow dragon on 5 star difficulty. The first half of the game prevents low man with multiple threats and similar base stats between player/ai units.

I think the big factors are durability and a strong enemy phase. If you keep hitting back way harder than you get hit, it doesn't really matter how outnumbered you are. FE traditionally facilitates that at high enough levels, but there are ways around it. (Berwick Saga is my favorite example, since both durability and enemy phase are kept much more in check than in Fire Emblem, particularly due to changes to the leveling and countering systems.)

Trying to figure out what the green Triforce symbols mean, at first I thought it was just a formation indicator, and then just a battalion indicator, but now I don't know. Could be both.

p5jHrO1.jpg

Theodora is the only one in the whole group without a green Triforce symbol. At first I thought she was using Faith magic and it meant Healers don't get a support Battalion, which seems resonable, but that's not the case as she has Reason magic equipped and rather it's Linhardt who has Faith equipped yet still has the Triforce indicator. Later on though when we see Linhardt use healing magic on Byleth but he no long has the Triforce, while Byleth does, and it's hard to tell if he Linhardt has any Battalion troops with him at all. So maybe the green symbol is a Battalion indicator.

But when it comes to Formations, if you look at Bernadetta and how her and her battalion are positioned when she attacks, you have her at the front and the battalion behind her separated into two groups to either side of her. Altogether they form a Triforce shape. This is distinctly different from the kind of blob of troops with the commander in the middle we see in all of the fights in the E3 Trailer. But then later on when we see Edelgard attack the Black Beast she still has the TriForce Symbol even though Coordinated Gambit has a Wedge Symbol next to it and her Battalion attacks in a Wedge Formation. 

So does that mean no symbol simply means no Battalion, or rather no unique formation is in use and that Gambit and Formations are still indeed separate and you can have a different standard formation in place with Gambits utilizing their own formations as needed?

Edited by Enduin

The amount of changes seems Awakening level in scope. Perhaps some of them come down to a difference in execution and not a mechanics change? I wouldn't be surprised if formations end up being a way to control aggro. Pairup was a good way to beef up someone in attack range, but it looks like pairup is gone for 3H. Dual guard replaced with formations and dual strike/attack stance replaced with gambit? I think it's more likely combat changes won't be as massive (since echoes and Fates) due to how skills, leveling, and classes seem to have been changed. You need to keep aspects of the game intact from previous titles to carry over "the feel" of the game, even if you're mixing things up. #AllTheUnfoundedSpeculation

0kmKiZ6.png

We saw the "support of all" on Linhardt's healing magic, but if you flip the Western Church Soldier's magic you can make out more of the words. It's three phrases around the edge, all in english.

"The goddess always lives(?) in heaven and Fodlan."
"___ ___ __ing over is for the mother of all living beings."
"As support of all m___ things."

Linhardt and Casper both block the start of the second phrase, but there is one frame where the Soldier's Fire reveals part of it.zqRnaoK.pngeAvANzm.jpg

Edited by Lord_Grima

12 hours ago, Enduin said:

Trying to figure out what the green Triforce symbols mean, at first I thought it was just a formation indicator, and then just a battalion indicator, but now I don't know. Could be both.

I unfortunately don't have much to add to your ideas, you pretty thoroughly covered those leads. What I do find weird is that we can switch weapons and combat arts in the pre-battle forecast... but not this, apparently, even though the L and R key are left unmapped. Maybe they're for the camera.

I do think the wedge symbol doesn't necessarily contradict the symbol. It also disappears as the screen fades to black, so as you said, gambits are probably separate from formations. I think somebody theorized that gambits are only available when you're next to an ally(it was probably LuckyCrit), but regardless, it's weird that we can't seem to get both options at once. Even if gambits were only possible when near allies using the same formation as yours(just spitballing here), the gambit option should simply disappear if you switched.

Edelgard's lifebar is weirdly misplaced on that shot now that I'm looking at it

7 hours ago, Lord_Grima said:

0kmKiZ6.png

We saw the "support of all" on Linhardt's healing magic, but if you flip the Western Church Soldier's magic you can make out more of the words. It's three phrases around the edge, all in english.

Linhardt and Casper both block the start of the second phrase, but there is one frame where the Soldier's Fire reveals part of it.zqRnaoK.pngeAvANzm.jpg

Not much to add here either, just wanted to say, really good stuff.

Edited by Cysx

@Lord_Grima

Nice one! I had a look myself and it seems to match with what you said, but I refined it a little bit.

training-8a-R.jpg

I think it says “The Goddess always lives in heaven and Fodlan. __ __ ___ning over us. As the mother of all living beings. As support of all m______ things.”

1 minute ago, RexBolt said:

@Cysx don't you think IS maybe just renamed Formations as Gambits?

Well it's not a translation change at the very least. They're different options in japanese as well, and no other term has seen any change in that version from trailer one to two as far as I can tell. But, it's still possible I guess.

1 hour ago, Cysx said:

Well it's not a translation change at the very least. They're different options in japanese as well, and no other term has seen any change in that version from trailer one to two as far as I can tell. But, it's still possible I guess.

Given how novel the feature is, it's a place where I think that kind of revision would make a lot of sense.

Nah, I just counted wrong. I'll fix it soon. Thanks!

Anyway, I didn't want to return empty-handed, so here are a few more minor things I noticed.

In the Japanese trailer, when Bernadetta selects the Curved Shot Combat Art, her attack range doesn't change. Assuming the Japanese trailer is from an earlier build, it seems they buffed Curved Shot afterwards. This makes sense since Curved Shot in Echoes didn't alter the attack range.

Similarly, in the Japanese trailer, after teaching Dorothea, her icon on the left side has two arrows increased, instead of one. I'm assuming that means she gained more support/bond points. Although I'm unsure why. For reference, her "interest/motivation" gauge starts at 3 (or 75%) rather than 1 (25%). So that could be a factor. Maybe the first time you teach a student, they gain more bonding points?

1 hour ago, VincentASM said:

Similarly, in the Japanese trailer, after teaching Dorothea, her icon on the left side has two arrows increased, instead of one. I'm assuming that means she gained more support/bond points. Although I'm unsure why. For reference, her "interest/motivation" gauge starts at 3 (or 75%) rather than 1 (25%). So that could be a factor. Maybe the first time you teach a student, they gain more bonding points?

I assumed Dorothea gained more because in the japanese trailer, the chosen category had two bonuses(strength and that hand thing), as opposed to just one.

26 minutes ago, Guest Pence said:

Sooooo did anyone notice how the Curved Shot art uses durability instead of HP now?

Yes, many people did.

2 hours ago, VincentASM said:

In the Japanese trailer, when Bernadetta selects the Curved Shot Combat Art, her attack range doesn't change. Assuming the Japanese trailer is from an earlier build, it seems they buffed Curved Shot afterwards. This makes sense since Curved Shot in Echoes didn't alter the attack range.

Another thing i noticed and just remembered with you talking about Curved Shot ranges, is that Bows have 2-range! In the first trailer it seemed that Bows here would follow after Echoes style, but with this new info, plus the Mini Bow in Bernadetta's inventory having so many uses, it may just be a case where 1-range bows are more common now, like a handaxe, and archers will have to choose if they can stand enemy phase and close combat or stay safe from 2 and more range. 

Guest Boatcat
On 2/16/2019 at 8:17 PM, Lord_Grima said:

Linhardt and Casper both block the start of the second phrase, but there is one frame where the Soldier's Fire reveals part of it.

What script is that translated from?

And another thing, I think that either each house will be split based on support of the church, e.g. Black Eagles — Anti-church, Blue Lions — Pro-church, etc. or your initial house selection just lets you control the build up of students in that house, with the rest of the students assuming default classes when they join up in act 2.

9 minutes ago, Guest Boatcat said:

What script is that translated from?

And another thing, I think that either each house will be split based on support of the church, e.g. Black Eagles — Anti-church, Blue Lions — Pro-church, etc. or your initial house selection just lets you control the build up of students in that house, with the rest of the students assuming default classes when they join up in act 2.

It's from the script written around all the magic circles that show up in gameplay, tho in the scene on the background of the Black Eagles house you see Edelgard casting a special magic circle, one that is smaller and uses her family's own Crest, while the other magic Circles use a Crest from the Leicester Alliance as a generic teamplate. If it will continue so and that Crest will have special meanting on magic, or in the future each spell will have it's own circle and crest, we don't know yet.

If we consider Crests to be a source of magic/power in the setting, then can we presume that Byleth's 'mysterious power' is a Crest? If crests are considered divine, then that would certainly explain why he was taken to the monastery and why he was offered a high-ranking position. 

We could even go a step further. Perhaps Byleth's crest comes from Sothis, which would explain his connection to her and why it's considered unique among other crests.

Guest Boatcat
3 hours ago, RexBolt said:

It's from the script written around all the magic circles that show up in gameplay, tho in the scene on the background of the Black Eagles house you see Edelgard casting a special magic circle, one that is smaller and uses her family's own Crest, while the other magic Circles use a Crest from the Leicester Alliance as a generic teamplate. If it will continue so and that Crest will have special meanting on magic, or in the future each spell will have it's own circle and crest, we don't know yet.

Hah, I didn’t see that, I thought that this was some translation from runes or something.

kudos on spotting that