Sothis

Thane

So, who do you think she is and what do you think her role in the story will be? While the most likely scenario is that she's a cute little sister kind of character who's also a 1000-something Manakete/goddess with some kind of connection to the goddess everyone worships and who eventually falls in love with you, I kind of want her to be manipulative. 

This is some serious flashback from four years ago when I made a thread asking what people thought about Azura and hoping that she'd be a manipulative asshole and a villain (guess I was half right at least), but it would be refreshing to see this kind of character bring something new to the table. Maybe she uses Byleth as a weapon against the church, maybe she wants him to learn that time warping power so she can use it for something later, etc. 

Edited by Thane

I'm guessing she'll hand us a book that allows us to time travel and correct our mistakes until we play out a timeline that ultimately saves the world. And every time we mess up she's like "Welcome back, Stocke" Err, I mean, Byleth.

In seriousness though, I get the feeling she won't be a villain as cool of a twist as that potentially can be. She'll probably be your divine cheerleader with the personality of a washboard. I thought Mila was being built up for a villain role in Echoes but it never came to pass. Best to set these expectations low.

7 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

divine cheerleader

I'm a little less sure about this after watching the Japanese trailer. She uses more old person speech, unlike Y!Tiki and Nowi who, well, speak like kids. I believe Sanaki speaks the same way. 

This doesn't mean she can't still act like a kid and be all creepy with the avatar, but at least we'll hopefully get less cringe than I had originally feared.

I'm not expecting much from her, in part because like you said everyone thought Azura was going to have some sort of huge unexpected twist to her and in the end it was just being unable to talk about Valla because they needed you to buy a third path. 

I'm thinking Sothis will just be your supernatural sidekick who knows why you're special and secretly has a crush on you.

21 minutes ago, Glennstavos said:

I'm guessing she'll hand us a book that allows us to time travel and correct our mistakes until we play out a timeline that ultimately saves the world. And every time we mess up she's like "Welcome back, Stocke" Err, I mean, Byleth.

You might be joking, but i'd be so down for Fire Historia

36 minutes ago, Thane said:

So, who do you think she is and what do you think her role in the story will be? While the most likely scenario is that she's a cute little sister kind of character who's also a 1000-something Manakete/goddess with some kind of connection to the goddess everyone worships and who eventually falls in love with you, I kind of want her to be manipulative. 

This is some serious flashback from four years ago when I made a thread asking what people thought about Azura and hoping that she'd be a manipulative asshole and a villain (guess I was half right at least), but it would be refreshing to see this kind of character bring something new to the table. Maybe she uses Byleth as a weapon against the church, maybe she wants him to learn that time warping power so she can use it for something later, etc. 

If she does end up giving Byleth powers I want her to be manipulative. Hell make it so that her child form is an illusion and she's actually an older manakete but she's using the child form because it's easier to trust a child, right?

I also wouldn't mind if she because of Byleth (but this needs to be done in a careful way) regrets her way of thinking but only after it's too late and she needs to redeem herself.

4 minutes ago, Thane said:

I'm a little less sure about this after watching the Japanese trailer. She uses more old person speech, unlike Y!Tiki and Nowi who, well, speak like kids. I believe Sanaki speaks the same way. 

This doesn't mean she can't still act like a kid and be all creepy with the avatar, but at least we'll hopefully get less cringe than I had originally feared.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one who noticed the way she talked in the Japanese trailer felt "different" to her English version.

For anyone else who wants to see both voices:

Sothis talks at 00:51 and 04:50

"Long ago, the divine Seiros received a revelation from the goddess, a gift to help guide the lost." - I'm assuming that history is going to repeat itself where Byleth takes the role of Seiros and is being given a gift, most likely the future vision alluded to at the end of the trailer, by the goddess, who I'm going to assume is Sothis due to her apparent connection to Byleth.

I would find it really adorable if all these murals and stuff depict the goddess to be this divine and holy looking woman where in reality it's Sothis, who looks like a young girl, and all the murals are depicting the church's idea of the goddess. Sothis' manner of speaking in the Japanese version does show that it's pretty much just her appearance that's childlike, rather than their general demeanour as shown with some of the previous dragon lolis. I predict that her personality and wisdom directly contrast her appearance, which is why the church's murals are so wrong, depicting the goddess' appearance based on her demeanour of a wise and divine figure. 

The sword that Byleth's holding at the end I guess is another gift from Sothis, but it somehow ends up in possesion of the holy woman, so either it was with her at the start and it "chooses" Byleth or it was given to Byleth from Sothis to turn against the church, and the holy woman gets it back at some point, or my favourite idea, being that Sothis tells Byleth to take the sword from the holy woman, presuming Sothis knows that she shouldn't have it. She definitely looks like a unique character so far, hopefully she isn't HD Lilith.

Edited by HappyHawlucha.

I really dunno what's her deal is, the only thing I know is, I'm not impressed with her design. They gave us Eldegard, and now this, it's the day and the night.  Now, if she end up being much better that Lilith or Azura, my complain about her clothes would immediatly disappear.

If she end up being able to give time travely power for her purpose or whatever, I hope for a miracle, because the last time they used time travel for the plot, it was crap.

Complains aside, that'd be real freaking cool if it was something along the line of "fixing her error from the future", or hell, using us for her truly selfish purposes.

Edited by B.Leu

I actually like the idea she's guiding you, because it does open the door up for more interesting users, the main of which is that she's actually a villain.

Or, even better, she's actually been dead for thousands of years and this is the last remnant of her spirit guiding you to stop the world from falling into ruin. I would love a minor twist like that, which at least feels like something they could reasonably pull off.

As much as I'd love for her to be using/manipulating us a secret weapon (changing her form from an adult) or just a villain, I don't have as much faith that it would be written well. But that would be ideal goals.

My only concern is their need to have loli characters fall in love with the main character, so I'm more concerned with the entire, "Haha, you're a silly human, let me help you" to "I've know fallen in love with you because you're a silly human who has changed my mind". And the player worship could so easily fall into being Sothis's main point which I'd rather not have. I just want her to be an impartial/funny guide to your journey who maybe becomes your friend, but ideally sorta just views you as a stupid mortal. That would be nice!

22 minutes ago, Kiran_ said:

I actually like the idea she's guiding you, because it does open the door up for more interesting users, the main of which is that she's actually a villain.

1. Or, even better, she's actually been dead for thousands of years and this is the last remnant of her spirit guiding you to stop the world from falling into ruin. I would love a minor twist like that, which at least feels like something they could reasonably pull off.

2. As much as I'd love for her to be using/manipulating us a secret weapon (changing her form from an adult) or just a villain, I don't have as much faith that it would be written well. But that would be ideal goals.

3. My only concern is their need to have loli characters fall in love with the main character, so I'm more concerned with the entire, "Haha, you're a silly human, let me help you" to "I've know fallen in love with you because you're a silly human who has changed my mind". And the player worship could so easily fall into being Sothis's main point which I'd rather not have. I just want her to be an impartial/funny guide to your journey who maybe becomes your friend, but ideally sorta just views you as a stupid mortal. That would be nice!

1. Oh jeez, if they could write a likable relationship between Byleth and Sothis and have this be the twist chances are I would feel depressed and I mean that in a good way. It would be so depressing if it turns out that the being that has been helping you and have a good relationship with is already dead.

2. True. IS hasn't shown to be the best at writing things like that and if she uses you she would need good reasons to do so. I would still love a twist like that but I know that IS has a lot of ideas that they don't always execute as well as they should.

3. I wouldn't actually mind if Sothis falls in love with the MC but it would have to be handled well. If anything her falling in love with the MC could made the twist where it turns that she's just using you/turns out to be dead all along all the more powerful.

Edited by Hekselka

19 hours ago, Hekselka said:

3. I wouldn't actually mind if Sothis falls in love with the MC but it would have to be handled well. If anything her falling in love with the MC could made the twist where it turns that she's just using you/turns out to be dead all along all the more powerful.

I am gonna add my voice to this. As long as she doesn't act like a kid, i wouldn't mind it at all. + It would make it all that much stronger if she dissapears/betrays MC at the end. 

A Dragon Shinobu would be nice, too!

1 hour ago, Ottservia said:

I’m willing to bet that sothis is the actual goddess and the one we see at the church is nothing but a shameful imitation used to manipulate the church. 

Didn't the first Trailer say something about Seiron recieving a revelation or something? My guess is that Byleth isn't the only one to ever receive a revelation, and the green haired onee-san from the church used to receive them (or her ancestor)

2 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Didn't the first Trailer say something about Seiron recieving a revelation or something? My guess is that Byleth isn't the only one to ever receive a revelation, and the green haired onee-san from the church used to receive them (or her ancestor)

Yes. Seiros is mentioned to have received a revelation from the Goddess. I am assuming that the current Church leader is a descendant of Seiros and may also get information/visions from the Goddess. Perhaps that means Byleth is related to her??? I don't know, just a theory.

5 minutes ago, Shrimperor said:

Another thing of potential note is that in the E3 Trailer we see the Green Haired Priestess lady just strolling through a battlefield without a care in the world. Could stand to reason that she too has a precog/rewind ability that Byleth seems to posses now likely given to them both by Sothis/Seiros.

Edited by Enduin

8 minutes ago, Enduin said:

Another thing of potential note is that in the E3 Trailer we see the Green Haired Priestess lady just strolling through a battlefield without a care in the world. Could stand to reason that she too has a precog/rewind ability that Byleth seems to posses now likely given to them both by Sothis/Seiros.

Is this even the same lady? The E3 one had different clothes, a shield and half blonde half green hair. The one that we see in the new trailer has full green hair, a lot of hair decorations and her skin isn't as pale as E3-trailer-priestess.

3 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

Is this even the same lady? The E3 one had different clothes, a shield and half blonde half green hair. The one that we see in the new trailer has full green hair, a lot of hair decorations and her skin isn't as pale as E3-trailer-priestess.

Maybe she has several outfits? I don't know. They could have just changed her design. It seems a little odd that there would be two women with green hair that have similar builds. I think they are the same woman, but I could be very wrong. They still haven't even given us her name.

Yeah I'm not sure what the difference there is between them. Could be the E3 is a flashback to the original Prophet and the Direct trailer is the present day representative. Or it could just be a difference in the animation rendering or a WIP and they changed her appearance a bit.

2 minutes ago, PrincessAlyson said:

I guess we'll have to either wait until the game comes out or when they give us more info. Hoping that they give more info first. I don't think there's enough for me to really judge yet.

we'll likely get more info at E3 and maybe like one or two trailers before that so I see no need to worry.

I'm leaning towards Sothis having some time-related powers mainly due to the name. The Egyptian goddess Sopdet is known as Sothis by the ancient Greeks and there's also a reference to the Sothic cycle, which is related to how the Egyptians accounted for the missing day lost after every 365 day year without a Leap year being a thing.

On 2/15/2019 at 1:25 PM, SimplyUnknown said:

I'm leaning towards Sothis having some time-related powers mainly due to the name. The Egyptian goddess Sopdet is known as Sothis by the ancient Greeks and there's also a reference to the Sothic cycle, which is related to how the Egyptians accounted for the missing day lost after every 365 day year without a Leap year being a thing.

4 minutes ago, Jingle Jangle said:

Some part of me thinks that Sothis is the villian or one of them. I don't see her guiding the player just because she wants to be nice.

There's a good chance, adding to the above about Sopdet. She's the Eyptian goddess of Sirius, which also happens to be known as the Morning Star, along with Venus and Mercury. Morning Star also happens to be the nick name of a certain fallen angel....

giphy.gif

Also if you get into the origins of Byleth's name you find yourself with Beleth a Demon King of Hell who commands many legions, when summoned will teach you everything you want to know about maths, or get men or women to fall in love, and has been depicted as both a man and a woman. Also Beleth is thought to be a fallen angel.

So take that as you will.