Astral Chain: Platinum Games's newest IP

Corrobin

https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/astral-chain-switch

"As part of a police special task force, it’s up to you to fight against mysterious, alien-like creatures who have invaded the world.

In the Ark, a multi-cultural city in the near future, disaster strikes when gates to another dimension suddenly appear! Dangerous creatures begin to emerge, attacking the people and polluting the land, and normal police forces are unable to compete with them. To stand up against these threats, a brand new, special police unit known as Neuron is formed.

Choose between two playable characters – one male, one female – on your adventure. The character you don’t choose also appears as your younger twin, and a fellow member of Neuron.

In order to resist the creatures, humanity developed a special weapon: the Legion. The Legion acts as your partner, and helps with your investigations. However, it’s in battle where the Legion shows its real ability...

Work together with the Legion and use all sorts of combat styles to fight your enemies. You could both attack the same enemy simultaneously, target different opponents, or send your Legion on the offensive while you support it with items. Use this synergetic action system to battle and explore together!

Making his directorial debut and known for his work as the game designer on NieR: Automata, Takahisa Taura is responsible for the concept and planning of ASTRAL CHAIN. Hideki Kamiya, creator of the Bayonetta™ series, is in charge of supervision. The character design is by manga artist Masakazu Katsura, creator of ZETMAN and Video Girl Ai."

But seriously, though, using that psychic bond between Legion and your character to entrap or attack is a fantastic and interesting move, as is the combination attack that we've seen.

Also, did anyone else get a Bladewolf vibe with that lupine Legion?

1 hour ago, Corrobin said:

Making his directorial debut and known for his work as the game designer on NieR: Automata, Takahisa Taura is responsible for the concept and planning of ASTRAL CHAIN. Hideki Kamiya, creator of the Bayonetta™ series, is in charge of supervision. The character design is by manga artist Masakazu Katsura, creator of ZETMAN and Video Girl Ai."

big names right there, at least for those who know them.

it's always nice to see this kind of collaborations thou, it gives me hope for future games.

Creator of Zetman, DNA² now that rings a bell. I am certainly looking forward to this and it may be my first game from platinum games. Also like the setting. 

I will give this game a chance. Reminded me of something like Xenoblade x Psychopass. 

When Heideki Kamiya's name showed up I knew this would be a game worth keeping an eye on. He's got some of the most renowned character action games under his belt and Platinum Games has been making some of the best action games of the past decade so really what I'm trying to say is Astral Chain is gonna ooze quality by the time it's done.

This game is right up my alley (especially since I loved NieR: Automata). Will be paying attention to it as it comes. Wonder how long the game was in development since a release date was announced in its reveal.

I was hoping that it was gonna be some kind of post-apocalyptic Pokemon game, but this works too.

The game looks really good and sounds like a lot of fun, and it looks like they have stands from JJBA. I think I'll try to get it if I can.

6 hours ago, Interdimensional Observer said:

This game looks great, but I lack for good action reflexes and whatnot, so any Platinum game is not for me. Technically I know they have easy modes, but it doesn't feel right doing that.

As long as you have fun even if it’s the easiest mode. I believe that’s truly what’s important.

8 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

I don't get the hype for this one I mean it has action but all it reminds me of is Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

And that’s a bad thing to be reminded of? This has several high action names behind it, Bayonetta etc, that’s why it’s getting the hype it is, also Platinum is known for its high level of quality in terms of action games.

The setting also looks cool and is fairly unique for a game like this.

9 hours ago, Jedi said:

This has several high action names behind it, Bayonetta etc, that’s why it’s getting the hype it is, also Platinum is known for its high level of quality in terms of action games.

the moment i saw the guy riding a cyber wolf with a sword in hand, i was sold.

ac.jpg

that's just glorious.

Edited by Fenreir

1 hour ago, Fenreir said:

the moment i saw the guy riding a cyber wolf with a sword in hand, i was sold.

ac.jpg

that's just glorious.

So cool, I’m so pumped for this game!

12 hours ago, Jedi said:

And that’s a bad thing to be reminded of? This has several high action names behind it, Bayonetta etc, that’s why it’s getting the hype it is, also Platinum is known for its high level of quality in terms of action games.

Didn't say it was a bad thing. I never cared about Bayonetta so.... lel. But I mean if the company is good then ok now I get it.

8 hours ago, Critical Sniper said:

Didn't say it was a bad thing. I never cared about Bayonetta so.... lel. But I mean if the company is good then ok now I get it.

Fair enough, it's more the combination of folks working on this in the end. Didn't mean to come off aggressively if I did haha.

At first, i thought it was Xenoblade X2. Then, as the trailer went on, i thought it was a new Monolith Soft IP. It wasn't until after the names started appearing that i realized this was Platinum Games. And man, i'm hyped for this game. The sci-fi setting is right up my alley and the Legion are basically Stands but they are Transformers but they're also tethered to you like Xenoblade 2 Blades.

• 2 months later...

Overall not a bad piece of marketing artwork. I like how the Legion ally is centered right between the two sexes of PC, so it be associated with both of them. It looks menacing, perhaps evil even, if with a slightly beak-ish face. The whole piece is a little too bluey as well.

But the only real issue is how heavily they used the electric polisher in the lower right.