General theorizing thread

Corrobin

28 minutes ago, EJ107 said:

I think that the identity of Byleth's mother will be important. I don't think it's a coincidence that Sothis, the head of the church and Byleth all have green hair and green eyes. 

I have a feeling that Sothis and Byleth are related in some way through the head of the church, and that is why he is able to see and interact with her. Or, if they want to go a slightly more unexpected route, maybe Sothis herself is Byleths mother. 

I noticed that too. It's rather weird considering that green hair is normally used for the divine dragons (Mila, Naga, Tiki ect)

Byleth is also holding that fancy sword (that one the woman was holding in the first trailer) in some points in the second trailer, so maybe there is some relation if that sword is something like the falchion or related to the goddess.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some guesses:

• Sothis time rewind ability is more of a gameplay feature than a storyline one. It'll be like a pseudo-casual mode that'll allow the user to turn back time during battles if they make any mistakes, like SoV did. 

• Sothis is the goddess, but her beliefs do not align with the church. The church is using her image as a tool to further their own goals, and they were the ones who sealed her. Sothis' banishment upset the balance of nature, and so order is turning into chaos. Hence why the crest orbs are to blame. 

• The choice of which class to teach won't affect the story, but will affect what class the students (you didn't choose) end up in. I'm guessing all the kids have different base classes that they enter once they graduate; unless you were their teacher and chose their classes for them. 

• if time travel becomes a big feature (both gameplay and story-wise) - which I really hope it doesn't - there's a chance children units will return... (let's jump to the future and grab your kid) 

• if you look at the world map of Fodlan, you'll notice that the surrounding countries don't have city/town/area names, which could mean:
1. they are areas we won't visit in this game (increasing the possibility of a sequel).
2. DLC spots (like the labyrinth in SoV).
3. They're just areas that happened to be named for lore and won't affect or be mentioned in the game.
4. Phoenicis and Kilvas also didn't have area names, so maybe the surrounding countries just aren't big enough to have more than one city.

4 hours ago, EJ107 said:

I think that the identity of Byleth's mother will be important. I don't think it's a coincidence that Sothis, the head of the church and Byleth all have green hair and green eyes. 

I have a feeling that Sothis and Byleth are related in some way through the head of the church, and that is why he is able to see and interact with her. Or, if they want to go a slightly more unexpected route, maybe Sothis herself is Byleths mother. 

But Byleth's eyes and hair are blue. When you compare Byleth (here) and Sothis (here), they don't really look that much alike. That doesn't mean that they can't be connected/related in some way, since avatars tend to look nothing like their parents, but I don't feel they look enough alike.

I do wonder if Byleth's mother will be important to the narrative at all, since Byleth looks nothing like Jeralt. Why make them look nothing alike if you have a set appearance? Or Byleth could be adopted, though I hope they don't go for the super-secret special heritage again after fates. 

25 minutes ago, Calico said:

But Byleth's eyes and hair are blue. When you compare Byleth (here) and Sothis (here), they don't really look that much alike. That doesn't mean that they can't be connected/related in some way, since avatars tend to look nothing like their parents, but I don't feel they look enough alike.

I do wonder if Byleth's mother will be important to the narrative at all, since Byleth looks nothing like Jeralt. Why make them look nothing alike if you have a set appearance? Or Byleth could be adopted, though I hope they don't go for the super-secret special heritage again after fates. 

You're right about Byleths eyes being more blue on a second look, but lighting in certain scenes aside, Byleth and Sothis' hair still looks like it's almost an identical colour. 

Obviously it's not much to go on, but that and the fact that Byleth's appearance may be set in stone makes me think that their parentage is going to be important. And all of the characters with green/blue-green hair we've seen are tied to the church and divine dragon. I have a feeling Jeralt is either an adoptive father, or Byleth just strongly takes after their mother. 

Edited by EJ107

I do think that Jeralt is a Mycen type figure to Byleth, which may lend more credence to him becoming playable later on rather than dying. 

As for how Jeralt is taking care of Byleth, I assume as Jeralt has some sort of familiarity with the Church of Seiros due to Annette knowing him by name, so perhaps he was a high ranked member of the Church's militia before being ordered by the leader to take care of Byleth. 

I'm almost positive that Byleth's ancestor was Seiros, so I could see the Church having a plan to let Jeralt raise him so he becomes the warrior that the Church needs.

My favourite idea is that Jeralt was a warrior for one of the factions, who are against the church so secretly ordered the elimination of any of Seiros' descendants for whatever reason, and instead of ending Byleth, Jeralt decided to run away and raise the young child, taking him to the Church when he didn't understand his foster son's powers when they begin to surface, so he takes them to the people who would know the most about them, but depending on how the story goes, this could have been Jeralt playing into the Church's hand by giving them one of Seiros' descendants.

Edited by HappyHawlucha.

Looking at the Seiros Mural and the crests known on the map then comparing that with the map shown in the new trailer, I found a really interesting pattern.

PTmzY1y.jpg

More analysis in the Map thread. So far this seems busted.

Edited by Lord_Grima

The battle scene with the old man with the chain sword we saw in the first trailer, and all those soldiers and pegasus knights, will be a past event, witnessed/experienced by Byleth's power or Sothis' guidance. I could maybe see it being someone from Seiros retelling it all though. 

11 hours ago, Jingle Jangle said:

At some point early in the story Sylain will realize that his family is abusing the crests and will join Dmitri crew to ensure this won't happen again.

Not sure why but he looks like a traitor, probably joins Dimitri crew to steal information but then if you have S/A-support then he would come clean and defect to our side.

-The house you choose will have a rather mild effect on the game. It will determine the 7 students you get (The other two heads of each house will join you no matter what I say) and the rest will not join you and will probably die tragically or smth

-Continuing on from the tragically dying students, the school will only be your hub for a while (like maybe 12 or 13 chapters) and then something tragic will happen and the school will be destroyed, killing many of the students (including the ones whose house you do not pick) and some teachers

-The two white haired girls seen in the Golden Deer CG are definitely gonna be twins, one using reason magic and the other using faith

-Sothis is either a goddess that was sealed away and is somehow related to Byleth (possible descendant???) or she's his mother but younger

-I'm 80% sure Byleth is gonna be a demon and we will have two churches fighting to get him first. The church of Seiros to control him so he doesn't unleash his demon self and the evil cult trying to take him to release his evil self (I feel like Sothis and him being connected could also be apart of this. Possibly she's there to balance him possibly)

Das it for now

Theory: In between plot-related chapters, you'll have to go out on a couple of non-plot related missions (field trips?), like exterminating a group of bandits/protecting villagers/etc. A bit like in the DS Pokemon Mystery Dungeon games. It would fit with the increased amounts of experience we seem to need to both level up and increase weapon rank.

On 2/14/2019 at 10:39 PM, Chopper... said:

In my case, I don't think there will be much war between the three houses, not to the point in which it becomes central to the plot but more like temporary conflicts. I believe this because the three houses don't hate each other, they're in peace, and there's no resentment since the three heirs can be seen walking or fighting together at the beginning and at the end of the trailer, so they at the very least get along enough to go to this Academy together. Similarly, the houses have no problem studying under the same roof. That's not to say I don't expect conflict between them, but as I said, I think they will be temporary quarrels.

Now, to be honest, I'm not too happy with the amount of peace and camaraderie I saw in the trailer... I do want open war, haha :P:

I agree, we need some Slytherin type characters!

On 2/14/2019 at 10:33 PM, Enduin said:

Academy setting and the various teacher mechanics will only be present in the first Act. You'll choose your House, teach your students until they pass their Certification Exam to go from Noble(aka Villager) to a regular base class. After that your students will graduate and the teacher mechanics will go away as class progression will operate in traditional way and the main inciting event will shift the plot towards the main conflict.

Honestly, that's my biggest hope. School setting for the first part of the game, with you being able to control/customize the students of the house you selected more. Then later on the school gets pushed aside as there is a need to travel and/or something major occurs that change this dynamic, characters gets their own unique non-school outfits and own classes (for the ones you didn't teach), etc.

The school makes for a good first part of the game, but I'm hoping it's not all there is to it: since this is a physical location (unlike Fates castle), it would be strange for it to always remain the central hub if you are (hopefully) on a campaign somewhere else. Plus it would be uncanny if there's a gigantic war going on and that by the end, you'd still mainly be doing mundane teaching and giving tests to a bunch of students.

1 hour ago, Ayra said:

Plus it would be uncanny if there's a gigantic war going on and that by the end, you'd still mainly be doing mundane teaching and giving tests to a bunch of students.

This is the major thing for me, both thematically and mechanically. 

Just looking at things from the latter's perspective on average FE games have around 50 units, since FE6. That's a colossal number of characters to manage on an individual level with the shown Teacher Mechanics and Sub-systems. With that many units you're basically going from an SRPG to a Management simulator. Even if you prioritize the characters you like/use the most that's still a tremendous amount of menu and subsystem management. The only potential solution to this is to either dramatically reduce the total number of units to maybe 20, which would still require a large deal of management time but still significantly less than 50, or to limit it so that only the core 8 units from the House you choose are subject to those Teacher Mechanics and every other unit operates in the classic FE way. Either option seems highly unlikely and extremely controversial.

The Thematically it makes a lot more sense as an extended prologue type setting to set up our characters, establish relationships and dynamics for the larger story. It's a setting that has been used several times in the series to establish connections/relationships between characters but made manifest here as an actual playable and fleshed out chapter of the story and not simply a reference or footnote.

I mean could they make a school setting work for the entire game, maybe, but I'm having a hard time seeing it though. 

Edited by Enduin

1 hour ago, Enduin said:

I mean could they make a school setting work for the entire game, maybe, but I'm having a hard time seeing it though. 

They really couldn't any more than 10 chapters and it'll get really start to drag out, I would really love it as mentioned above, where paralogues take place which act as field trips to help grind out the units, and after all students of the chosen house master the noble class and promote, "graduation" takes place which is probably gonna be interrupted by a black beast or something, and the main story is sprung into action.

On second thought I actually can't see how we'll be able to stretch out 10 chapters of academy stuff, after the whole joining the academy, we can get plot stuff between "field trips" and supports will probably end up comprising most of the dialogue before leaving the academy.

On 2/17/2019 at 10:31 AM, ΔZZ said:

-The house you choose will have a rather mild effect on the game. It will determine the 7 students you get (The other two heads of each house will join you no matter what I say) and the rest will not join you and will probably die tragically or smth

-Continuing on from the tragically dying students, the school will only be your hub for a while (like maybe 12 or 13 chapters) and then something tragic will happen and the school will be destroyed, killing many of the students (including the ones whose house you do not pick) and some teachers

Reminds me of "Fall of Beacon" tbh.

DLC's will be available but the most popular ones will be "Game Breakers" and "(Character) Side Stories".

Edited by Jayvee94
Post update

On 2/18/2019 at 8:59 AM, RexBolt said:

Small theory but i'm 100% sure Fodlan's Anna works at the monastery instead of being a traveling merchant/bandit. Just not sure if as a teacher, but if she is then she must teach economy classes.

in PoR and RD anna ran the tutorials.

I woke up out of a dream this morning - don't know what it was about. But I was able to hold on to a couple points:

1. It involved FE:TH.

2. The Golden Deer with the glasses was named Winston.

3. The one Golden Deer with white hair was named Greta or Gertrude and was a Mage.

I just want to record this, in case I'm psychic. (Winston's weapon type was proton pack though, so... probably not.)

11 minutes ago, Guest LSM said:

I woke up out of a dream this morning - don't know what it was about. But I was able to hold on to a couple points:

1. It involved FE:TH.

2. The Golden Deer with the glasses was named Winston.

3. The one Golden Deer with white hair was named Greta or Gertrude and was a Mage.

I just want to record this, in case I'm psychic. (Winston's weapon type was proton pack though, so... probably not.)

I have a feeling the two Golden Deer with the white hair will be sisters, not having any sibling units yet is a bit odd ngl :/