Are the students the only characters or only early characters?

What are the students?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Are the students the bulk of your roster?

• Yes. Your army will almost entirely or entirely consist of your class.
    • No. The students are customizable starter characters, akin to villagers/trainees.
  2. 2. Which would you prefer to be the case?

• Your army will almost entirely or entirely consist of your class.
    • The students are customizable starter characters, akin to villagers/trainees.
  3. 3. Will you later be able to recruit students from other classes?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. If you can recruit students from other classes, will they be as customizable or will they be pre-promotes?

• Fully customizable
    • Not fully customizable but selectable promotions
    • Pre-promotes
  5. 5. Will there be a reasonable number of recruitable characters who are not associated with the academy at all (ie: soldiers, mercenaries, villagers, priests, etc.)

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/25/2019 at 05:00 PM

I've seen (and personally experienced) some concern that the school, the teachers, and the students will make up most or the entirety of the playable roster. 

So here, I'm putting that speculation to the vote: are the students the only/majority playable characters, or are they more akin to the highly customizable starting villagers in Echoes: Shadows of Valentia?

Edited by Etheus

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Until we know what the house decision entails, it's really tough to say. I doubt that choosing the Dark eagles would make everyone else inaccessible, that's way too many characters left in the dust, buuuuut by the time you get them, they may not in the base noble class anymore. Still, there's many of them already, enough to make up a good part of the playable cast.

So in a way yes, the students are the bulk of your army, but also no, only the first ones will be customizable trainees. And... I'd be fine with that.

Im super optimistic on this one. I basically think that the chosen class will be your core customizable roster, and they're the ones who will take on the major roles in the story-telling process.

Then one of two things: either a) you're able to get all the students of the other classes, but later and with some level of pre-built stats, or b) you don't get any other students (except for the other 2 lords maybe). In either case, I also think you'll be able to get the other two professors, and I expect a bunch of non-student characters (essentially pre-promotes) also. Especially if B is the case, since otherwise the roster is sitting at like 10....

If we're assuming a roster of even like 30-40, it basically guarantees that there's some other folks. If Jeralt doesn't get FE-parent-syndromed it'd be fun to get him too

I'm hoping that the students will only be a customizable core roster, akin to Echoes villagers.

I don't necessarily want to even recruit the other houses' students. If the entire roster consists of these students, this roster will end up being the most uniform, least visually interesting roster in FE history. Being able to recruit other characters like commonpeople, soldiers, and mercenaries that don't exist in the academy bubble would add a lot more perspective and worldbuilding to Fodlan.

13 minutes ago, Etheus said:

Being able to recruit other characters like commonpeople, soldiers, and mercenaries that don't exist in the academy bubble would add a lot more perspective and worldbuilding to Fodlan.

Fingers crossed that this happens. I really want more characters that aren't affiliated with the school.

I don't think your class will be the only playable characters. Even Fates had several characters common to both Birthright and Conquest, rather than having Corrin being the only common character between the two. And it'd be even more extreme to have each route contain only a third of the characters.

I'm guessing it'll be possible to recruit some number of the other classes' students, but not teach them. Which still leaves the question of how many, of course. I'm guessing most but not all. I also think there's likely to be some number of playable characters that aren't in any of the three classes, probably most of them common to all three routes but like with the students, it could make sense for some to only show up on certain routes. Hopefully a decent number, I don't want the game to be all nobles.

Units not in your class will probably join in a mix of Tier 1 and Tier 2 classes. Ones that join in Tier 1 will probably still have the option to pick from a choice of Tier 2 classes, similar to the FE8/13/14 branching promotion system. (Most notably FE8, because of the juxtaposition with Tier 0 trainees with more flexibility.) I'm not sure quite how that'll work in Three Houses, considering how it seems to integrate the lessons with class changes for your students, but I think it'll work out somehow.

Overall, I think the routes will resemble the sorts of route splits seen in FE5/6/7/8. Same general story regardless, play most of the same story maps, but with some changes in who you recruit and/or when you recruit them.

29 minutes ago, Etheus said:

I'm hoping that the students will only be a customizable core roster, akin to Echoes villagers.

I don't necessarily want to even recruit the other houses' students. If the entire roster consists of these students, this roster will end up being the most uniform, least visually interesting roster in FE history. Being able to recruit other characters like commonpeople, soldiers, and mercenaries that don't exist in the academy bubble would add a lot more perspective and worldbuilding to Fodlan.

That sounds a bit hasty to say, considering we know nothing about anyone's personality or background at this point. I joked about the academy being only for the rich before, but I don't actually think all of these are nobles... despite their starting class saying so. The narration didn't make it sound that way, in any case.

While the trailer seems to emphasize you training your class and your class alone, class size seems pretty small right now. Accounting for students we might not have seen yet, ~10 at most for each house. Unless there happens to be like 20 or more students hiding in the woodwork that will be part of our army, I really can't imagine a scenario where our class alone comprises the majority of the roster. And frankly, I really hope it's not only our class, as that'd be a bit boring. I'd like to have some more unique perspectives in the army, not just a bunch of noble teenagers/young adults.

As for the recruiting the other houses? It's really hard to say without more story details. We don't even know if our houses will actually all fight in opposite factions or not in the inevitable war. While it would be cool to have your choice absolutely matter and lock you out of the other students, I really doubt that we're not going to recruit the other 2 house leaders and maybe a few others that are willing to defect to our house if we do end up fighting each other. But because they'll likely be added to our roster long after the initial peaceful classroom days are over, I can't see 100% full customization being a thing. We'll definitely be able to customize them after recruitment, but there will be certain things set in stone I believe.

I personally think that depending on the house you pick will determine which students you get. Based on the Black Eagle, there are six per house, so at least six units will be exclusive to each house. After that pretty much every unit will be you typical fe unit with one set class (ala that mage teacher that we had seen in the first trailer).

I think it determines the people we start with, but I cannot see us only getting students as our playable roster. There are probably some of the school faculty itself who may become recruitable later, the standard recruitable enemies, etc.

I would prefer the Houses to stay at least mostly split. If we do end up getting the other Houses joined in, I would like for it to be limited to actually make the choice somewhat effective. But again, best case scenario for me at least is the different houses stay split for the entirety of the actual story. Wouldnt mind them merging for post game purposes though.

The female professor is seen fighting generics in the first trailer so its safe to say she is also recruitable, which means at the very least when shit goes down some of the other teachers are gonna help us (probably joining with their class) 

Unpopular(?) opinion: I both expect and want the students (collectively, not necessarily just one House) to be the vast majority of your roster.

Its not that I dislike having civilians, mercenaries, vagabonds, etc; I actually love having them in other FE games. But here's the issue with adding non-students. Three Houses is insistent on having this be a dramatic "Oh, this is a full-scale war and we must have lots of NPC soldiers present". This wouldn't be bad if they did it in moderation. But they won't. There's lots of emphasis on having your soldiers fight with you, thus bolstering your strength and allowing for "team" attacks and stuff like that, so they're not just going to only have these soldiers present in certain logical fights, they're going to be everywhere.

Then you remember that the school isn't only "Here's a sword, learn how to use it". All the students are nobles who are learning how to lead their people and their forces. They are being specifically trained for the purpose of commanding a force of soldiers. If the students are the main units, then it makes sense that they would be leading squads of various sizes. Having been trained in leadership, its natural that they'd be, y'know, leaders.

We then take a look at the more interesting characters that have been in previous FE games. These people have to lead squads of units in combat. And something tells me that people like Nino, Gonzales, Rolf, Jaffar, Peri, etc wouldn't really be widely accepted leaders. Sure, someone like Shinon could get away with leading a squad. He may be rude, but he's incredibly competent. But an illiterate 12(?) year old commanding a unit? A psychopathic cavalier who delights in the murdering of her enemies? An assassin, who's better off working alone given that he needs to be stealthy? They're already dodging a bullet with (presumable) Manaketes, since those are single person armies unto themselves, since Nowi leading a team would not end well.

Thus, I want the students to be the primary focus of the game, since they'll have the leadership training needed to actually lead, have a chance of being respected by their soldiers, and have roles that fit into large-scale combat.

Edited by alatartheblue42

While it is true that the students are being trained for leadership roles, that quality is by no means exclusive to them. 

Some examples:

Mercenary Leaders - like Jeralt, Tellius' Greil or Magvel's Gerik

Knight Commanders - like Kent from FE7

Ruling lords and other graduates of the academy (including those of the other houses of Leicester)

Militia leaders

Ranking priests

War heroes

Etc.

Edited by Etheus

Some relevant talk on Reddit: 

I think the most noteworthy part is the implications of each house having just 8 units. That's a lot more sane than it had sounded, and fits well with the hopes that they'll be a small trainee component of a larger army. Whether or not that larger army includes students from the other houses, it does suggest there will be non-student units: the smallest previous roster was FE2's, with 32 units divided into two armies of 16. (Or rather, one army of 16 and one of 15, since you can only pick one of Deen/Sonya.) I think Three Houses will have a roster at least that big: a minimum of 32 characters total and 16 per story, but probably more than that minimum. That suggests at least 8 non-student units, one of them being Byleth.

The non-student units will probably have some level of status that justifies them commanding their own soldiers, but as @Etheus pointed out, there are all sorts of ways to do that. In particular, one thing that came up in the Reddit discussion is the Knights of Seros, who seem to qualify.

1 hour ago, Etheus said:

While it is true that the students are being trained for leadership roles, that quality is by no means exclusive to them. 

Some examples:

Mercenary Leaders - like Jeralt, Tellius' Greil or Magvel's Gerik

Knight Commanders - like Kent from FE7

Ruling lords and other graduates of the academy (including those of the other houses of Leicester)

Militia leaders

Ranking priests

War heroes

Etc.

Like I said, I'd like the majority to be the students. I suppose I didn't say it, but I mentally also lumped teachers in there too.

The thing with your examples are that most of them would be nobles too. Knight Commanders would be of some status in their birth. Ranking priests would have dignity/mannerisms similar to nobles. Ruling lords/graduates are obviously of the same category.

It even goes to the point that this military school/monastery is neutral ground between the kingdoms and the center seat of the continent's primary religion. Realistically, any priests, ranking knights, and lords would have spent some time at the monastery, or at the very least were trained by tutors from the monastery.

The only notably different people would be Mercenary/Militia Leaders and War Heroes. They can add some diversity, to be certain, but really, how many mercenary leaders and war heroes will there be lying around? The continent hasn't had a major war for quite a while (a century, maybe?), so its not like there will be any heroes on Ike's level of fame.

And in the end, people with leadership are still people with leadership. They'll have similar traits and demeanors overall. Some quirks of course, but you can't be perceived as a good leader and be too different from the expectations. Its highly unlikely to find a Florina leading a militia, or Genny being a war hero (though an army of sheep would be epic)

Edited by alatartheblue42

It wouldn't make sense to have other units outside of your chosen class, even the other students from the other two factions.

The former because the entirety of the shiny new stuffs from this game like weapon experience, promotion and skills inherance all come from a school theme. Having some random soldier/merc/former enemy wouldn't make any sense from this school theme game.

The latter because I imagine since they specified that you have to choose a faction, the other two will be train by other teachers of the school (we already know there's other teachers, not just the player).

Only the beginning ones. I don't believe (and I hope that it isn't the case) that it will be a nice peaceful school game only. Somewhere along the way it will go dark so I believe that only the beginning characters will be students. Also, micromanaging 8 characters is fine and interesting but any more and it will become tiring and IS knows this I believe.

54 minutes ago, SuperNova125 said:

Only the beginning ones. I don't believe (and I hope that it isn't the case) that it will be a nice peaceful school game only. Somewhere along the way it will go dark so I believe that only the beginning characters will be students. Also, micromanaging 8 characters is fine and interesting but any more and it will become tiring and IS knows this I believe.

I echo your sentiments exactly.

For the first part of the game? Yeah probably. From part 2 onwards we are probably going to get some of the other students and hopefully other characters unrelated to the academy. These other units aren't going to be customizable, but some will be prepromotes. I'd guess Edelgard, Dmitri, and Claude may show up as prepromotes what with being the heads of their houses.

2 hours ago, Nym said:

It wouldn't make sense to have other units outside of your chosen class, even the other students from the other two factions.

The former because the entirety of the shiny new stuffs from this game like weapon experience, promotion and skills inherance all come from a school theme. Having some random soldier/merc/former enemy wouldn't make any sense from this school theme game.

The latter because I imagine since they specified that you have to choose a faction, the other two will be train by other teachers of the school (we already know there's other teachers, not just the player).

We know that your class is the only units you teach. There's no reason to think the only playable units must be ones you teach.

In fact, we know that isn't true, since Byleth is playable and you don't teach yourself.

2 minutes ago, Othin said:

We know that your class is the only units you teach. There's no reason to think the only playable units must be ones you teach.

In fact, we know that isn't true, since Byleth is playable and you don't teach yourself.

I disagree, and here's why:

What's the point of having to choose a faction if you are going to get all the students anyway? I understand this might be because of the micro-management and having to teach 23 students would be too much for the player, but that would be pointless if you just bench the students that you don't want to use anyway.

Not to also mention that you would have FOUR ways to get a game over in a single mission (the 3 leaders or Byleth dies) and that's without the objective taken in consideration.

Also usually in any Fire Emblem playthroughs, you always get a lot of characters in your army. You cannot use everyone so you pick the 10 or 11 you want to use and dump all the exps and on them. This game might just be more difficult since you can't replace any students you might lose.