Are the students the only characters or only early characters?

What are the students?  

124 members have voted

1. 1. Are the students the bulk of your roster?

• Yes. Your army will almost entirely or entirely consist of your class.
    • No. The students are customizable starter characters, akin to villagers/trainees.
  2. 2. Which would you prefer to be the case?

• Your army will almost entirely or entirely consist of your class.
    • The students are customizable starter characters, akin to villagers/trainees.
  3. 3. Will you later be able to recruit students from other classes?

• Yes
    • No
  4. 4. If you can recruit students from other classes, will they be as customizable or will they be pre-promotes?

• Fully customizable
    • Not fully customizable but selectable promotions
    • Pre-promotes
  5. 5. Will there be a reasonable number of recruitable characters who are not associated with the academy at all (ie: soldiers, mercenaries, villagers, priests, etc.)

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 07/25/2019 at 05:00 PM

2 minutes ago, Nym said:

I disagree, and here's why:

What's the point of having to choose a faction if you are going to get all the students anyway? I understand this might be because of the micro-management and having to teach 23 students would be too much for the player, but that would be pointless if you just bench the students that you don't want to use anyway.

Not to also mention that you would have FOUR ways to get a game over in a single mission (the 3 leaders or Byleth dies) and that's without the objective taken in consideration.

Also usually in any Fire Emblem playthroughs, you always get a lot of characters in your army. You cannot use everyone so you pick the 10 or 11 you want to use and dump all the exps and on them. This game might just be more difficult since you can't replace any students you might lose.

Hold on, I wasn't even talking about the students from the other classes there. My point was that if the game can fit in Byleth as a non-student unit, it should have ways of supporting other route-independent units, such as other instructors and the Knights of Seros.

I do think recruiting the other students as non-trainee units is perfectly plausible, though. There's still plenty of point to the faction choice: you pick which characters to focus on, getting to play as them earlier, customize them more in-depth, and presumably get more dialogue from them emphasizing their perspective on the war. It's also likely that certain maps and events will vary depending on the route, even while keeping to the same core story.

We've had games like FE7 where there were three characters who needed to survive, sometimes more depending on the chapter. We don't even know if the other house leaders will cause a game over, they might just retreat. But with how they all seem to be cooperating in cutscenes, it'd be very strange to only get one of them.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Othin said:

Some relevant talk on Reddit: 

I think the most noteworthy part is the implications of each house having just 8 units. That's a lot more sane than it had sounded, and fits well with the hopes that they'll be a small trainee component of a larger army. Whether or not that larger army includes students from the other houses, it does suggest there will be non-student units: the smallest previous roster was FE2's, with 32 units divided into two armies of 16. (Or rather, one army of 16 and one of 15, since you can only pick one of Deen/Sonya.) I think Three Houses will have a roster at least that big: a minimum of 32 characters total and 16 per story, but probably more than that minimum. That suggests at least 8 non-student units, one of them being Byleth.

The non-student units will probably have some level of status that justifies them commanding their own soldiers, but as @Etheus pointed out, there are all sorts of ways to do that. In particular, one thing that came up in the Reddit discussion is the Knights of Seros, who seem to qualify.

Someone from the FEW discord server put this image together of everybody so far from each house and their name:
unknownbasecast.png

So it does look like each House has only 8 characters.

I do think that you will get the characters from other Houses later but customization will be more limited for them; also agree with the notion that the Knights of Seiros could easily function as neutral characters who are in the same "state" regardless of which House you pick.

9 minutes ago, The DanMan said:

Someone from the FEW discord server put this image together of everybody so far from each house and their name:
unknownbasecast.png

I do think that you will get the characters from other Houses later but customization will be more limited for them; also agree with the notion that the Knights of Seiros could easily function as neutral characters who are in the same "state" regardless of which House you pick.

Good find, that's another useful reference point.

8 seems like an appropriate number of trainee units for a game that's emphasizing them more than usual. (SOV was the previous record, with 5.)

1 hour ago, Othin said:

That's what I thought originally, but this is somewhat contradicted by there being two more characters visible in the Blue lions classroom(if it really is that):

uEc5J2n.jpg

That doesn't guarantee anything but it's worth considering.

I'm also not sure the two girls we see from the back in the Golden Deer scene will necessarily be playable(I think they will, I'm just not sure), because we see way more unidentified backs throughout the trailer than the reasonable amount of unrevealed student units could be, I feel:

pDBV3nz.jpgZbtOfOl.jpg

As a result, as long as they're not put in focus, I feel like it's unsafe to assume someone will be a part of the playable roster. Which goes for the two I pointed out above as well I suppose, though at least they have models.

Finally there's also this character in the back to consider:
iWpijc1.jpg

...Which I just realized could be Mercedes, but eh.

Edited by Cysx

I really hope not.

That they wear the same uniform is already much of a turn-off for me as it feels it takes away some aspect of the individuality they would have had with their own different costumes. Sure, that's not all what makes a character but that's a part of it. 

As of now, with barely a hint on their personalities, the students all look like the same character to me.

Edited by Vince777

I hope that we don’t get access to all the students from the three houses regardless of the house you choose. Wouldn’t that kinda defeat the point for  replayability? (Like you can just grind/unlock all the supports in one playthrough)

Also, with the scene with Dorothea, it seems like each student will have their strengths and weaknesses in terms of the skills. So if we are to get the remaining students at a later time in the game, I’d assume they’ll come in a class that they have a strength in already. This would be weird  because we might end up recruiting at least two of each class (ie a Healer from Blue Lions and then another healer from golden deers, a sniper from Blue Lions and another sniper from Golden deers). If this happens then the diversity of classes you’ll see in the future might be pretty limited.

Also, I don’t see any obviously playable Bard/singer/dancer or beast units or manaketes right now. Unless they’re all removed from the game (unlikely), I’m pretty sure those classes will come later on outside of the school setting. 

Edited by zuibangde

I wouldn't be so surprised if the game had like two major story arcs, the first one being like school life and descovering some issues with the world. And then something happens that leads the team to leave the school (as hinted by Edelgard in 1st trailer) or stop class (the school is still the main hub, it feels weird to just leave it, maybe it'll serve more as a safe fortress). By the time you get to arc 2 every unit should have been promoted and we could start to recruit other/new characters with eventual unique classes (dancer, beast units) or already promoted.

36 minutes ago, FuranSuwa said:

I wouldn't be so surprised if the game had like two major story arcs, the first one being like school life and descovering some issues with the world. And then something happens that leads the team to leave the school (as hinted by Edelgard in 1st trailer) or stop class (the school is still the main hub, it feels weird to just leave it, maybe it'll serve more as a safe fortress). By the time you get to arc 2 every unit should have been promoted and we could start to recruit other/new characters with eventual unique classes (dancer, beast units) or already promoted.

Yeah games/anime/manga with a setting like this usually have 2 major arcs and the first usually is a series of episodic hijinks/adventures, with the latter part happening more outside. 

6 hours ago, Cysx said:

That's what I thought originally, but this is somewhat contradicted by there being two more characters visible in the Blue lions classroom(if it really is that):

uEc5J2n.jpg

That doesn't guarantee anything but it's worth considering.

I'm also not sure the two girls we see from the back in the Golden Deer scene will necessarily be playable(I think they will, I'm just not sure), because we see way more unidentified backs throughout the trailer than the reasonable amount of unrevealed student units could be, I feel:

pDBV3nz.jpgZbtOfOl.jpg

As a result, as long as they're not put in focus, I feel like it's unsafe to assume someone will be a part of the playable roster. Which goes for the two I pointed out above as well I suppose, though at least they have models.

Finally there's also this character in the back to consider:
iWpijc1.jpg

...Which I just realized could be Mercedes, but eh.

I've seen the first two, and I think they might be generics. Could very well be wrong, though.

Huh; never realized that the characters who were practicing magic don't line up with anybody else.

I'd say considering this image:
training-1a.jpg

8 is probably at least our starting number for each House; maybe you'll end up with one or two more before everybody joins together.

I'm also if the opinion the Academy stuff is just temporary for the introductory act. I expect there will be 4 acts as well, one for each season/character.

The Academy setting and teacher mechanics make a lot more sense as short term stuff aimed at cementing a stronger connection and affinity for the core cast. It simply doesn't make sense or seem manageable as things scale up and we take on more party members to expect to manage then to or to only managing the original 8. Plus the idea of teaching lessons, tutoring and stuff seems really tenuous as the story progresses and we're fighting a war or whatever the case may be. It just doesn't seem plausible that they could maintain a school setting that whole time.

Makes way more sense that it's only going to be a thing during the intro as we help guide our students to advancing to their unpromoted class which is effectively like graduating. Once that's complete class progression will be there same for everyone.

And like Hogwarts teachers don't just interact and teach their chosen house they oversee them but still teach and interact with all the students. Same thing here, well manage our house members but still have a role as teacher, even if not mechanically, for the other houses. Like the above screen of the female Teacher seems to portray hey lecturing to a much larger group. We'll have interactions with the other houses, especially their leaders, to foster a connection for whatever happens afterwards.

Edited by Enduin

3 hours ago, The DanMan said:

I'd say considering this image:
training-1a.jpg

8 is probably at least our starting number for each House; maybe you'll end up with one or two more before everybody joins together.

I think the fact that the black eagles are repeatedly and distinctively shown to have 8 members is clearly at the center of most of our reasonings, for sure. And it does seem like a fitting number. I do think there's a solid chance that's how it will end up being for all three, I just don't want to jump the gun too much when there are some contradicting elements as well.

51 minutes ago, Cysx said:

I think the fact that the black eagles are repeatedly and distinctively shown to have 8 members is clearly at the center of most of our reasonings, for sure. And it does seem like a fitting number. I do think there's a solid chance that's how it will end up being for all three, I just don't want to jump the gun too much when there are some contradicting elements as well.

I think it would be strange for it not to be the same, it'd feel like one or more routes are being cheated out of central characters.

It's like how in Fates, each nation has 4 royals and 8 retainers, as a sort of "backbone" of that route's exclusive units.

2 minutes ago, Othin said:

I think it would be strange for it not to be the same, it'd feel like one or more routes are being cheated out of central characters.

It's like how in Fates, each nation has 4 royals and 8 retainers, as a sort of "backbone" of that route's exclusive units.

Yeah, frankly, I don't think that's happening either. It makes more sense for each house to get equal representation. Perhaps 8 isn't actually the magical number like The DanMan said, and the Black eagles roster itself is still incomplete. Who knows.

• 3 months later...

I am someone who enjoys playing the game on harder difficulties and when I lose units I live with the consequences. Never hard reset ever and that is how I get my replayability out of all the games. If my avatar or Lord dies I delete the save file and start over. Call me crazy but that's how I enjoy the game. So I require at least 20 units but even that would be rough for how I play. If it's actually smaller than that I'll be very sad. And I likely won't be using Mila's turnwheel if that's going to be added in with a different name. My best case scenario would be you get your customizable starters. You recruit a unit from every class in the game aside from that but they don't become students. So you still get an archer, a cavalier, a priest ECT. It'd be cool if you got different ones based on starting class but I'd be fine with nuetrals that you get in all 3 paths.

28 minutes ago, Timlugia said:

There is no way you only got 9 characters for the game. Either some other students joined you or that non student characters.

You'll have 8 students + Byleth for the first 10 or so chapters and then the game's scope widens past the monastery and that's when you get unique non-academy students and the game becomes less like classic FE.

Since classic mode is still there, it's impossible that we'll only have the characters of our choosen house : if they die, it'll be impossible to go through the game.

So, my theory is that at the start we'll just have our class, that we will fully customize, to fight bandits and other secondary missions (mock battles between houses...).

When shit begins to hit the fan, many people will start to join us. Jeralt and the other mercenaries from our group will come to our aid (if they didn't join earlier). Rhea will give us some Knights of Seiros (if she is the main villain, it would be interesting ; since these Knight could decide to stay with us or not.). The teachers will join too. And I can imagine that our house could form an alliance with another house, and that the students of this house will already be promoted. It could mean more drama if the third house decides to side with the villain or something.

In total it could be 25-30 characters, it seems reasonable. ^^

7 minutes ago, Clathy said:

Since classic mode is still there, it's impossible that we'll only have the characters of our choosen house : if they die, it'll be impossible to go through the game.

So, my theory is that at the start we'll just have our class, that we will fully customize, to fight bandits and other secondary missions (mock battles between houses...).

When shit begins to hit the fan, many people will start to join us. Jeralt and the other mercenaries from our group will come to our aid (if they didn't join earlier). Rhea will give us some Knights of Seiros (if she is the main villain, it would be interesting ; since these Knight could decide to stay with us or not.). The teachers will join too. And I can imagine that our house could form an alliance with another house, and that the students of this house will already be promoted. It could mean more drama if the third house decides to side with the villain or something.

In total it could be 25-30 characters, it seems reasonable. ^^

They could be expecting people to make good use of the turnwheel mechanic, or there could be some way to resurrect characters, like in Echoes. I'd prefer it to be your way, but I don't think it's guaranteed unfortunately.

With how maps seems to work in that you only have a story mission at the end of a month, the unit amount may be akin to Echoes with 16~17 units per house. So that would be Byleth+8 students then 8 or 9 other characters (probably the teachers, maybe some knights of Seiros, other characters from the aligned countries). I think maybe 24 characters per route would be a good amount. There would obvi be some overlap in units (like I say both teachers will join regardless of route if they are infact playable), so that would be a solid 40-50 playable characters (depending on the amount of overlap if this is how it works out).

The characters info in Twitter and official site already showed that other units that aren't students will join the army.

I don't think all students will be recruitable otherwise picking a house would make no sense. Also I believe that there will be more units with settled classes outside the church and school setting even if they are not that relevant to the plot

To be honest I don’t mind if the cast is relatively small as long as there’s still a decent amount of units to deploy if you want to do an iron man run, even if it’s just kind of generic units. A smaller cast means that they can spend more time developing that cast rather than spread the writing too thin so the characters end up feeling shallow. Of course that’s not guaranteed to happen. It’s possible to have a small cast that feels shallow and a large cast where all of there characters have depth, but I feel like you’re more likely to have depth with a more contained, interwoven cast of characters.

(Also I never do iron man runs because I get sad if anyone dies so it would be nice to be able to use everyone and not bench half of the army just from lack of space.)