Dragonstones? Beaststones?? STINKSTONE??

Chopper...

Dragonstones? Beaststones?? STINKSTONE??  

61 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think they'll skip the beast units this time around?

Whoever gets that stinkstone reference gets a chocolate chip cookie made with love ❤️

So I'm actually nervous. The trailer was 5 minutes long, showed battles and characters and lots of stuff, but no manakete or any other beast. And I didn't see anything of the sort when they showed that board of skill types.

Beast units are my favoriiite :>_<: 

What do you think?

Manaketes are probably happening, but the only "beast" we see is a dragon... and outside of that, they might. They weren't into beast units lately(until recently), if Heroes and Warriors are anything to go by. Echoes as well, even though that was to be expected.

Beast units are also my favorite so I really hope they get included into the game but so far it doesn’t seem promising. Well, there was that “black beast” that was shown in the trailer but I doubt that was signs of beaststone users being a thing.

As for dragons, I feel like we might get the loli as a dragon unit in the game but that’s it. And even then, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was none aside from some enemy specific dragons.

Anyway, I voted for “Nooo” just because I hope it actually ends up including beast units even though I really feel the correct choice is “Yesss”

I don't know about beasts, but dragons are pretty likely at this point, I like the laguz but so far IS has yet to create compelling beasts since radiant dawn, just taguel, who were a failed attempt to recapture laguz but lost sight of why people liked laguz and the kitsune and wolfskin, both of whom could be easily written out of fates with minimal issues.

my rants about why beasts suck now aside, they seem to be willing to make large creatures, not letting us use them in any capacity would be a crime, especially with how easy they would stand out now.

I imagine after book 1 we will see them being playable, admittedly I expect them to be special units who we get little say in how they operate.

3 hours ago, Chopper... said:

Whoever gets that stinkstone reference gets a chocolate chip cookie made with love ❤️

Apparently no one else got the JelloApocalypse reference. First!

To be honest, the only "beast" units I like are manaketes. Personal bias, but to each his own, I guess.

7 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

Beast units are also my favorite so I really hope they get included into the game but so far it doesn’t seem promising. Well, there was that “black beast” that was shown in the trailer but I doubt that was signs of beaststone users being a thing.

Exactly. And even the Black Beast  used a Fighting/gauntlet type weapon that most likely represents it's claws. Unless beasts are a promoted type of brawlers i don't see them showing up.

(And i love them!)

24 minutes ago, RexBolt said:

Exactly. And even the Black Beast  used a Fighting/gauntlet type weapon that most likely represents it's claws. Unless beasts are a promoted type of brawlers i don't see them showing up.

(And i love them!)

Well, its not like beast units have to use a stone. I mean, the Laguz didn't use them so they could easily represent the lack of stone with the Fighting type symbol instead since they fight with their claws/talons which is pretty much the equivalent of using their fists.

Ooh, not a beast per say but since we're talking about brawlers and beasts I thought of Ayla from Chrono Trigger who's pretty beastly and, while unlikely, would really dig it if brawlers promoted into something with a class design and fighting style similar to hers. Could be the closest thing to a beast unit if no real ones are actually present in the game.

Edit: Maybe not exactly a design like hers specifically since that might feel out of place but just something that invokes the image of a beast.

Edited by NegativeExponents-

8 hours ago, Captain Karnage said:

I can only communicate in memes

0YDbkVB.jpg

I understand the language, so don't worry :P:

8 hours ago, NegativeExponents- said:

As for dragons, I feel like we might get the loli as a dragon unit in the game but that’s it. And even then, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was none aside from some enemy specific dragons.

Anyway, I voted for “Nooo” just because I hope it actually ends up including beast units even though I really feel the correct choice is “Yesss”

I guess there's a high chance we get the loli dragon, who's very cute, but if that's it..... :(:

Let's really hope it's a 'Nooo' :>_<:

5 hours ago, Purple Mage said:

Apparently no one else got the JelloApocalypse reference. First!

To be honest, the only "beast" units I like are manaketes. Personal bias, but to each his own, I guess.

-gives him chocolate chip cookies made with tons of love- :lol:❤️

That's okay! But yes, they really are my favorite, so I'm very worried.

Obviously, we'll get shapeshifters that are lions, deer, and eagles, to match the themes of the three houses. I definitely believe that we'll get beast unit/s alongside our usual manakete. The lack of beast units in the trailer really isn't anything to worry about. Looking at the pre-release material for Fates, I don't think beast units were even mentioned pre-release. Keaton and Kaden aren't even up on the official websites' character lists. I'm wondering more if we'll get different beast units from the different countries or not.

2 hours ago, Calico said:

Obviously, we'll get shapeshifters that are lions, deer, and eagles, to match the themes of the three houses. I definitely believe that we'll get beast unit/s alongside our usual manakete. The lack of beast units in the trailer really isn't anything to worry about. Looking at the pre-release material for Fates, I don't think beast units were even mentioned pre-release. Keaton and Kaden aren't even up on the official websites' character lists. I'm wondering more if we'll get different beast units from the different countries or not.

They were shown, but if I recall it was very late in the pre-release cycle and they got very little attention. Kaden only got mentioned in a magazine and was shown in the class reel, while Keaton only popped up in the class reel and didn't even get a name until after release. So even with that in mind it's entirely possible that they're in the game and they're just not talked about yet, especially if their role is more lowkey relative to the main conflict. 

I'm going to say that they aren't in the game because I can't really see where they would be. Unless they end up being one of the ruling noble groups in Leicester I just don't see how they would fit into the narrative. They could exist in one of the areas to the side, but that reminds me too much of what they did with Kaden and Keaton. They basically only existed as a token beast unit, and they may as well not exist.

While I would love to see beast units, I don't see them happening, mainly because they don't seem to fit in anywhere story wise and personally I don't want another Taguel situation where we have barely any info on the species. Though I'm 95% sure we'll get dragons, Sothis probably is gonna end up being one tbh because some how she'll materialise in the real word 

It's true beast units tend to get either little background or a downright bad one, but when I say they're my favorite I don't mean story-wise, I mean as units in battle, gameplay-wise. So, regardless of how they appear in this game, if they do, I want them as units in my army that I can use in my strategies :>_<:. I don't actually care if they're important to the plot or not, just  that they are part of the gameplay.

2 hours ago, Medeus said:

They were shown, but if I recall it was very late in the pre-release cycle and they got very little attention. Kaden only got mentioned in a magazine and was shown in the class reel, while Keaton only popped up in the class reel and didn't even get a name until after release. So even with that in mind it's entirely possible that they're in the game and they're just not talked about yet, especially if their role is more lowkey relative to the main conflict. 

Ah, okay, so they were shown, but very late. Thanks for correcting me. Still, they're probably not going to be advertised unless they're central to the plot, which they most likely won't be. 

4 minutes ago, Calico said:

Ah, okay, so they were shown, but very late. Thanks for correcting me. Still, they're probably not going to be advertised unless they're central to the plot, which they most likely won't be. 

Also when the Choose your Path trailer came out, we saw Corrin transforming into a dragon. The thing is, it was never a doubt there would be beast units in Fates, yet this trailer was five minutes long and there was not even a hint of them. Not to say that means there won't be any, but it's enough to make me worried.

I also don't think they will be important to the plot, in case they really make an appearance.

5 minutes ago, Chopper... said:

Also when the Choose your Path trailer came out, we saw Corrin transforming into a dragon. The thing is, it was never a doubt there would be beast units in Fates, yet this trailer was five minutes long and there was not even a hint of them. Not to say that means there won't be any, but it's enough to make me worried.

I also don't think they will be important to the plot, in case they really make an appearance.

I mean, we've known that Sothis exists since the first trailer, and her design so obviously screams dragon that it'd be the biggest plot twist in all of Fire Emblem if she wasn't one. We can't say for sure if she'll be playable, but I think she will be. If you count dragons as beast units, then I'm almost 100% certain that we'll have beast units, because playable dragons are pretty much a series staple. 

3 hours ago, Calico said:

I mean, we've known that Sothis exists since the first trailer, and her design so obviously screams dragon that it'd be the biggest plot twist in all of Fire Emblem if she wasn't one. We can't say for sure if she'll be playable, but I think she will be. If you count dragons as beast units, then I'm almost 100% certain that we'll have beast units, because playable dragons are pretty much a series staple. 

That's the thing, I'm not so sure she'll be playable. There's something about her that seems more Naga than Tiki, or more Mila. Gaiden/Echoes, Genealogy, Thracia and Blazing Sword have no playable manaketes; and Gaiden/Echoes has manaketes but you can't use them as units, which is why a playable Sothis isn't a certainty. It's entirely plausible that they decide not to go with them or any beast units now. Of course, this is just me thinking too much and being all worried hahaha.

I'll still enjoy the game even if there aren't any dragon or beast units, but it'll be saddening for me.

Edited by Chopper...
Grammar...

I doubt they would skip such a popular unit type, but there didn't seem to be any indication that they will return. It's a school setting, and unless Byleth can shift forms, what beast unit would want to take lessons on how to fight from someone who isn't a laguz themselves? They don't really "fit" in with the school narrative. There does seem to be one category listed as "none" in the lesson plan screen so there is a possibility for that to be about beastones. But it could also be other things, like music.

It's too early to say though. All of Fates beast units were revealed at the last minute.

It's difficult to say. I doubt we've seen all of the playable characters, and I'm sure we'll come across some who aren't students. So far we seem to have seen the early-game cast, which is the students of the three houses, but I'm sure we'll come across others later in the story. 

Awakening and Fates only had one Beast Unit in each route plus a child unit, so it's possible one or two do show up later on. But it's also possible there aren't any. I suppose we'll have to wait and see. I do hope we get at least one or two though, since I always enjoyed them. 

Edited by EJ107

8 hours ago, Dandy Druid said:

what beast unit would want to take lessons on how to fight from someone who isn't a laguz themselves?

I'm now laughing at the idea of Byleth being so ridiculously good at everything that he's literally teaching a tiger-man how to be a better tiger.

I wouldn't mind them appearing, but I'm also not holding my breath.

If beasts were to return, I don't think it would be taking the "there're a common race in this world" path that Tellius and fates took. They could do the "last of their kind" thing again, but that tends to hamper world-building efforts due to a lot of information having to be given to one character, and they either have to sacrifice personality for exposition, or vice versa. Not to say that they can't both be in play at once (hence why I enjoy a lot of Panne's supports) but it leaves more questions than answers. Not to mention it's pretty cliche.

Instead, I actually wouldn't mind if we got an otherworldly shapeshifter that can transform into a wide variety of creatures. It would make the character a unique unit, and it could be an interesting substitute for formations. Plus, I want IS to get creative with the designs and roles they can fulfill, and not just do Xane 2.0.