Customizing the "Avatar", Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude

The "Avatar" in this game has some interesting implications. The pre-rendered cutscenes that actually show Byleth's face really points toward signs that they will not be customizable. However, Edelgard, Dimitri, and Claude also appear in this cutscene. Later in the trailer we see Edelgard reclass into a Brigand. Her outfit is very different from her student attire in that class. That would make any future cutscene that she is in very jarring. 

I think we can all agree that the cutscenes we've seen are all very early in the game. Maybe after a certain point we are able to customize Byleth. There was so much emphasis on "you" in the trailer, it seems odd that Byleth wouldn't be customizable except for the form when they are pushing that aspect so hard.

How do you think the three house leaders will be affected by their classes and cutscenes? 

I am hoping that they spend enough time making it so you can customize the Avatar and look how you want, even in cutscenes. If everyone else can reclass to whatever, I think the player can too. Fingers crossed! As a funny note, if we can customize... Male Byleth with black hair, name him Snape. Someone needs to do this.

9 minutes ago, PrincessAlyson said:

I am hoping that they spend enough time making it so you can customize the Avatar and look how you want, even in cutscenes. If everyone else can reclass to whatever, I think the player can too. Fingers crossed! As a funny note, if we can customize... Male Byleth with black hair, name him Snape. Someone needs to do this.

The mind is a complex and many layered thing von Hresvelgr, or at least most minds are. 

Would Edelgard be Harry in this situation?

Yes. With all the comparisons to Harry Potter, I could not resist. Anyway, if customization is a thing this time, I'm hoping we have more control over our character's height, body shape and skin tone. I may keep the default hair color, though. But I want to be a freaking tall woman that doesn't look too old for the setting.

I'd say if you could customize Byleth, they'd have to be sparsely seen in cutscenes.  Takes a lot of time to animate, and having to redo scenes to represent different customizations of an avatar could take a while depending on how they do it (best way would probably be somehow "layering" custom pieces over him/her in each frame).  Same would apply to different outfits.  Though if they somehow were able to do this, it'd help justify the low frame rates, because obviously low frame rates means less frames to animate in the first place.

At the end of the day, I could maybe see them making scenes for a custom avatar face/head, but not for all the characters taking on different classes.  It'd be like if Echoes made special scenes for Alm and Celica's overclasses.  I do find it odd there's emphasis put into the avatar, at least if everyone's assumptions about them only being customizable in the aspect of gender is correct.

1 minute ago, PrincessAlyson said:

Anyway, if customization is a thing this time, I'm hoping we have more control over our character's height, body shape and skin tone.

As much as I would love to make an eight-foot tall, athletic build woman of a moderate complexion, I don't see them going that far.

Though if they have a good degree of customization in the game, you better believe I'd go about making all the professors and staff of Hogwarts in all my playthroughs.

26 minutes ago, TearsForFears said:

Later in the trailer we see Edelgard reclass into a Brigand. Her outfit is very different from her student attire in that class. That would make any future cutscene that she is in very jarring.

Cutscenes have never had such an impact on characters in regards to reclassing. Chrom always appears in his Lord outfit even if you have him as a Cavalier or Archer or whichever.

The only time characters change in cutscenes is if they have a story related promotion (like Ike and Micaiah in Radiant Dawn).

3 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

As much as I would love to make an eight-foot tall, athletic build woman of a moderate complexion, I don't see them going that far.

Though if they have a good degree of customization in the game, you better believe I'd go about making all the professors and staff of Hogwarts in all my playthroughs.

Probably. And I see you are a person of good taste. I would totally make the Harry Potter cast for fun after playing through the game once.

3 minutes ago, Sentinel07 said:

Cutscenes have never had such an impact on characters in regards to reclassing. Chrom always appears in his Lord outfit even if you have him as a Cavalier or Archer or whichever.

The only time characters change in cutscenes is if they have a story related promotion (like Ike and Micaiah in Radiant Dawn).

Yeah, I think they'll stick with that in 3H. I certainly don't expect them to animate/change the cutscenes for every different character and their multitude of class options. If they were going to do that, I could just see the main four.

I'm shocked that with such a big focus on character customization they chose to have prerendered cutscenes. Would have been the perfect opportunity to integrate the 3D models into the cutscenes so they're always in their appropriate class outfits.

I have a feeling, besides your class, Byleth will be uncustomisable. I think the whole 'Select form' rather than gender kinda reinforces this, you're basically just picking whether you'd prefer to play as a male or female (ala Persona 3 on PSP).

As for the trio, I think it will be like the cutscenes in FEA and FEF where they will retain their base costumes but obvi look different in battle

Awakening had Robin and Chrom always appear in their starting outfits during cutscenes, even with opportunities to reclass them. I think Byleth and the trio will get the same treatment here, with the only change being Byleth's gender.

1 hour ago, Sentinel07 said:

I agree even in some other games I play with an avatar no matter how much you do they always display the default face as their icon not what I build it could be the case but well see.

1 hour ago, PrincessAlyson said:

Yeah, I think they'll stick with that in 3H. I certainly don't expect them to animate/change the cutscenes for every different character and their multitude of class options. If they were going to do that, I could just see the main four.

Agreed

Guest EdgyLilPuppy

I doubt there will be full customization for Byleth. We'll probably get the option to change names (since they specifically mentioned "you are the hero the world needs," not, "You will take control of Byleth.")

We'll probably get to select a boon and bane as well as the preferred class/study focus which will help boost certain lesson plans since it seems like Byleth is going to use swords. Fates let us pick classes that wouldn't be able to use the Yato so I could be wrong, but using the sword in a cutscene seems to suggest it.

Going off of Awakening and Fates we never saw our avatars face in a cutscene outside of Corrin's transformation into a dragon for the first time (if you could really call that seeing their face). Considering how we see Byleth's face in cutscenes and they're pre-rendered/animated I'm going to assume we won't be able to change anything about Byleth's face since Awakening and Fates made sure that any cutscenes the avatar was in was from their perspective.

It would simply be too much work animating all the separate faces and hair required in order to make a fully customizable Avatar work. That said, Jeralt looks nothing like Byleth so it's possible that there will be presets of faces to choose from since a fixed pool of faces would be much more manageable to get into cutscenes.

Stat customization like Asset/Flaws(maybe something new!), Name, Voice and Birthday choosing are pretty much guaranteed. I feel if they have a "travel to other persons Academy" for social interaction and getting stuff they should have it so our Byleths don't look like clones. 

Edited by Regal Edelgard Axe Master

If possible, I wouldn't mind some of the hats and masks that were offered in Fates being available for the Byleths. I think Female Byleth in particular would look really cute with a headband. Also, repeat items would be delightful so I can have an army wearing Jojo hats.

42 minutes ago, Guest EdgyLilPuppy said:

That said, Jeralt looks nothing like Byleth so it's possible that there will be presets of faces to choose from since a fixed pool of faces would be much more manageable to get into cutscenes.

I mean, that's already how Fates and Awakening work with avatar customization?

I don't understand how that's different.

Guest EdgyLilPuppy
12 minutes ago, Ertrick36 said:

I mean, that's already how Fates and Awakening work with avatar customization?

I don't understand how that's different.

I mean it's a different face than what we were shown in the trailer with a different hairstyle/haircolor, but we can't change anything. I guess it would be better to say the whole head would be a preset.

An example could be a head with brown hair in a different style and green eyes. You wouldn't be able to change the hair or eyes, It allows for more customization while allowing the new appearance to appear in cutscenes since you wouldn't have to do a ton of animation work for all the different combinations and appearances that we previously had in Fates and Awakening.

Does that make more sense?

7 minutes ago, Guest EdgyLilPuppy said:

I mean it's a different face than what we were shown in the trailer with a different hairstyle/haircolor, but we can't change anything. I guess it would be better to say the whole head would be a preset.

So in other words just preset heads, where they all come with their own hair and face models that can't be interchanged?  Kind of like how XCOM or some classic RPGs do custom characters.

Saying it as "preset heads" would've made more sense.